Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Stupid Morrowind being so addicting that I stay up to 3am on work days. :gonk:

I always just pick The Lady as my sign on almost every playthrough. Gotta max out that Endurance early for those sweet HP gains. Also the reason I use Spears exclusively in the beginning.

Leveling up Unarmored and Hand-to-Hand for those sweet speed levels is also fun. Plus, it's fun clowning on the weaker NPCs that try to attack you. Punching things to death while naked definitely saves on durability after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Atronach is a great sign as well, especially for pure warrior or stealth classes, since it's at the very least "50% spell immunity" of a type.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So just to check, is the OP somewhat up to date with the current state of Morrowind modding? Starfield being a disappointment has given me an itch for the actually good Bethsoft games.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SpaceDrake posted:

So just to check, is the OP somewhat up to date with the current state of Morrowind modding? Starfield being a disappointment has given me an itch for the actually good Bethsoft games.

I just looked through it. The bones are still good. Mod Organizer 2, Morrowind Code Patch, MGEXE and MWSE are still the start. Then add an unofficial patch (Patch for Purists is what I’ve used), an AI upscale texture pack, maybe a mesh pack, and then content as desired. Tamriel Rebuilt continues to come along and at this point has another game’s worth of landmass and content. There are some other large content packs in the works like Province Cyrodiil, but they’re still in early phases.

There’s a ton of cool stuff getting added after MWSE-lua enabled a renaissance of script mods.

Open-MW also continues to improve, and at this point you’ll find some people who prefer it to the original engine. I’m not there yet though—I like MGEXE and MWSE too much.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wasn't there a music mod that had themed songs for every region? I'm looking through nexus mods now and there's way more music mods than I thought and I only remember that the thread once recommended one that was excellent, but I have no idea which one it was, hmn.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wasn't there a music mod that had themed songs for every region? I'm looking through nexus mods now and there's way more music mods than I thought and I only remember that the thread once recommended one that was excellent, but I have no idea which one it was, hmn.

wasn't that MUSE

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mbt posted:

wasn't that MUSE

I thought it was, but MUSE seems to be a framework and then there's lots of mods that use it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's indeed MUSE. You create folders for various areas/regions and drop your tracks in them and MUSE will play them automatically. It's a framework but it's straight forward to set up on your own. It owns tbh

Fallout vault music fits dwemer ruins really well

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No that's dumb you need to carefully gauge your fall distances

Icarian flight does the judging for me: it's high, very high

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

big things happening in openmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SClPGbM5Kc

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

"CHIM. Those who know it can reshape the land."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

V for Vegas posted:

"CHIM. Those who know it can reshape the land."

Wow, mod integration

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
tried out Starwind recently and it was cute but it just made me feel like playing actual Morrowind. so i'm taking advantage of the fact i've got openmw ready and will be doing a run of I Heart Vanilla: Director's Cut and add a couple small gameplay mods on top to fix the annoyances that have plagued me over the last 22 years, then jump straight into TR for the first time. I love this game, and I love how many people still pour their heart and soul into it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Morrowind isn't so much a game as it is an imagination canvas.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

KoldPT posted:

tried out Starwind recently and it was cute but it just made me feel like playing actual Morrowind. so i'm taking advantage of the fact i've got openmw ready and will be doing a run of I Heart Vanilla: Director's Cut and add a couple small gameplay mods on top to fix the annoyances that have plagued me over the last 22 years, then jump straight into TR for the first time. I love this game, and I love how many people still pour their heart and soul into it.

Do post a trip report of the mods you select on top. I'm planning to do the same thing soon on my Deck

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
That looks like a good mod list, as I also heart vanilla.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Needs more quest mods

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gyshall posted:

Do post a trip report of the mods you select on top. I'm planning to do the same thing soon on my Deck

I would *love* a trip report on getting that set up on the Deck. I attempted it several times using the flatpack version of OpenMW from the Discovery store (not using Lutris because people apparently said that's kind of a bad way of doing it) and while OpenMW itself worked fine, for whatever reason only like a quarter of the modlist would actually load.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 1, 2024

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Speaking of OpenMW and mods, is there a more automated and less typie-typie way of installing mods? Doing poo poo like that manually is just an open invitation for gently caress-ups and borked games.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

inscrutable horse posted:

Speaking of OpenMW and mods, is there a more automated and less typie-typie way of installing mods? Doing poo poo like that manually is just an open invitation for gently caress-ups and borked games.

theres wabbajack but its equally poo poo. i suggest growing a brain

mod organizer 2 works fine

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
----------------------
/
:smug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like wabba jack for installing thousands of mods at once but if it's not that order of magnitude MO2 and a website that lists then like takes a few hours - a trivial amount of time compared to actually playing an RPG. I installed Through The Valleys for Oblivion in a single sitting.

It's only a problem if you're continuously switching RPGs after a few aimless hours; to be clear I'm casting that stone from a glass house.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah. If you're going to run with a two digit number of mods then just downloading and installing them one by one through MO2, paying attention to conflicts as you go, is very boring but not very hard.

OpenMW though I looked at, decided not to use, and know nothing about.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

mbt posted:

Needs more quest mods

are there any recommended quest mods on top of TR? im not planning to do anything in the base game lands this time around. also why i'm not using your rebalances

Gyshall posted:

just added a simple leveling mod, economy and fatigue/carry weight rebalances. will see if i feel like adjusting something else, havent even thought of a build yet. maybe spears

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

KoldPT posted:

are there any recommended quest mods on top of TR? im not planning to do anything in the base game lands this time around. also why i'm not using your rebalances

just added a simple leveling mod, economy and fatigue/carry weight rebalances. will see if i feel like adjusting something else, havent even thought of a build yet. maybe spears

if your goal is to never travel to vvardenfell that reduces your choices a bit. doors of oblivion is the big one then. otherwise suran underworld, rise of house telvanni, illuminated order, oaab twin lamps, immersive madness, love in the time of daedra. special shoutout to a newer mod called AFFresh made by douglas goodall (one of the original morrowind quest devs) that adds 30 quests to balmora/seyda neen/blades

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

mbt posted:

if your goal is to never travel to vvardenfell that reduces your choices a bit. doors of oblivion is the big one then. otherwise suran underworld, rise of house telvanni, illuminated order, oaab twin lamps, immersive madness, love in the time of daedra. special shoutout to a newer mod called AFFresh made by douglas goodall (one of the original morrowind quest devs) that adds 30 quests to balmora/seyda neen/blades

yeah at this point i know if i stick to the old stuff i'll never really get to see TR because i'll just start randomly thinking about hanging out with my friends like ajira, eno hlaalu, or aryon

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just throw mods directly into Data Files. Get on my level.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just throw mods directly into Data Files. Get on my level.

I've been doing this for two decades and I'm not about to stop now.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
If you search my post history I think I wrote about how to use MO2 with OpenMW. There's a plugin for MO2 that generates the OpenMW INI file that it needs to find mods. (each mod gets an entry). Once you get it set up it's very straight forward and you can sort mods and everything else with MO2.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
MO2 requires minimal additional effort over chucking mods in your data folder, and keeps you from loving anything up. And let’s you uninstall or reconfigure effortlessly. Take an evening and set it up and you won’t regret it. If you already have a full data folder and don’t want to change that, just chuck it all into the override folder.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I just wanted to go with OpenMW and the I Heart Vanilla mods since I'll be streaming a playthrough of the game for my friends who've never played it, and the OG executable is notoriously unhappy about alt-tabbing. Anyway, if I understand it all correctly, there's not really much benefit in not doing it all manually for the limited modding I'll be doing. Cheers anyway!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

KoldPT posted:

You should play Impo 2.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You should play Impo 2.

Muffinwind remastered holds up

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt posted:

Muffinwind remastered holds up

That reminds me, Muffinwind is somehow 20 in a couple of years and I need to think of a really stupid anniversary update. I was thinking about replacing random textures with my face

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the latest and greatest way of setting up dark-ish and atmospheric nights and dungeons?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jay Rust posted:

What's the latest and greatest way of setting up dark-ish and atmospheric nights and dungeons?

I just use Weather Adjuster and set the ambient light to low.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46816

Ctroosts settings are also good imo.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52069

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

I just use Weather Adjuster and set the ambient light to low.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46816

Ctroosts settings are also good imo.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52069

I may have to try this. I use some kind of mood that makes everything darker but I feel there's not much variation between dungeons, they're all pitch black. It would be fine if torches and other light sources didn't have such a small radius. Carrying a torch gives you a light in the lower corner of the screen but doesn't illuminate anything ahead of you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I may have to try this. I use some kind of mood that makes everything darker but I feel there's not much variation between dungeons, they're all pitch black. It would be fine if torches and other light sources didn't have such a small radius. Carrying a torch gives you a light in the lower corner of the screen but doesn't illuminate anything ahead of you.
Don't forget using Night Eye!

... Which ruins all the lighting stuff, of course.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Zereth posted:

Don't forget using Night Eye!

... Which ruins all the lighting stuff, of course.

Yeah, I'm playing a khajiit, so I'm constantly spamming Night Eye. But that's literally pushing a button to turn up the gamma every 30 seconds. I guess Light would be a better option but I was kind of looking forward to exploring and traveling at night with just a lantern.

Actually googling instead of searching on Nexus gave me a MWSE mod for customizing lights. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47133?tab=description if anyone else is interested.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Compromise and put a light enchantment on the lantern