Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Katalepsis is really good, I should catch up. I think I dropped it because I was reading too many serials with painfully socially awkward lesbian protagonists. It's the thread's fault imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 126
Aulia literally has Alden on 24/7 surveillance as she was able to immediately check on his safety when she thought that Hazel had killed him. I have to imagine that she is getting reports about everything going on at his school, though of course she's obviously not sitting there watching him all the time herself.

I don't think that's it. I think she's got an open contract with that Informant wight. She had to pay for the info that Alden was seen entering his dorm.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Patrick Spens posted:

I don't think that's it. I think she's got an open contract with that Informant wight. She had to pay for the info that Alden was seen entering his dorm.

This was my read too.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Onean posted:

My current insta-reads are Beneath the Dragon Eye Moons, Beware of Chicken, Forged in Conflict*, Dungeon Life and Saintess Summons Skeletons.

*Only technically a serial, when it's really a novel being released chapter-by-chapter to Patreon members before being openly released when the trilogy is completed.

I've got a bunch more I subscribe to a Patreon, but the above are the ones I'll read when I get the notification, while the rest I'll read in-between doing other stuff.

Yay, thank you!

My "I get jitters day of" list is Super Supportive.

TWI, Boc, and Changeling I'll do anything I can to read ASAP, but TWI requires setting aside significant time.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I really like Katalepsis, the mood of dealing with dark personal and interpersonal issues, and also cosmic horror, actually fits really well. There was a point where I was getting a little frustrated with the bloat, specifically a few arcs ago when every other chapter seemed to solely be sixteen people getting in a room to discuss their next steps (and flirt/snipe at each other), but things seems to have smoothed out a bit as we approach the end(?) of Book One.

Necroepilogos has everything I liked in Kata, and has snappier pacing too, so I'm enjoying it even more. I'd recommend both to people who enjoy stories with dark/horror and LGBT themes.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I have Katalepsis and The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere on temporary hold while I read Exordia.

Beneath the Dragon Eye Moons, Beware of Chicken, and Ar'Kendrithyst are my "stop and read this today" ones. TWI when it starts back up definitely that too.

I have Memoirs of your local Small-time Villainess, TOOU, and Outcast In Another World open in inactive tabs that I intend on coming back to someday (unless outcast book 6 goes to KU before I start it)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My "read first" order does swap around alot depending on where the story is.
The last few chapters of Chicken were not that tense, so it is low on the list right now. While SSS had cliffhangers, so it was on top. BtDM and Ascension Fails have interesting arcs right now so they have been on top of my list recently.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Very good theory raised in the discord re SupSup patreon 127:
Jeffy is the most likely candidate for refusing level ups from the system because it keeps giving him water stuff. He possibly mentioned this week the start of being able to feel his authority. The system will eventually have to bribe him with land skills, and showing everybody that waiting is a good strategy.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 1, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

SupSup 115:I've been saying the gloss influenced the whole of the story from the point he got home and the cat food was missing, and people called me mad!

Who's mad now!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Nettle Soup posted:

SupSup 115:I've been saying the gloss influenced the whole of the story from the point he got home and the cat food was missing, and people called me mad!

Who's mad now!

SupSup 115: The bit that really stood out to me on a re-read was how easily Alden was able to waltz out of the school and all the guards/checks in place to prevent this mysteriously temporarily failed for that exact moment.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

SupSup 115: Awww, I'm glad that Alden has gotten to the "yell funny sounds at each other" stage of teenage friendship :3:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

gonadic io posted:

SupSup 115: The bit that really stood out to me on a re-read was how easily Alden was able to waltz out of the school and all the guards/checks in place to prevent this mysteriously temporarily failed for that exact moment.

Really? (Supsup 115 I guess, more real world highschools) My highschool definitely didn't have guards or barriers to prevent students from walking out if they wanted. It was in fact relatively common for students with cars to take a free period at various times in the day and drive away to do other stuff up to and including part time jobs. Having guards to keep you inside sounds weird to me, like it would be less a school than a prison. So it didn't seem strange at all to me that Alden was able to just walk away when he felt he had a good reason, though based on my experience his guardian would get a call afterwards informing her he missed classes.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Bremen posted:

Really? (Supsup 115 I guess, more real world highschools) My highschool definitely didn't have guards or barriers to prevent students from walking out if they wanted. It was in fact relatively common for students with cars to take a free period at various times in the day and drive away to do other stuff up to and including part time jobs. Having guards to keep you inside sounds weird to me, like it would be less a school than a prison. So it didn't seem strange at all to me that Alden was able to just walk away when he felt he had a good reason, though based on my experience his guardian would get a call afterwards informing her he missed classes.

(Supsup 115) Yeah, same with my high-school. I mean, the administrators really didn't like it and you got punished for it after the fact, but there was no one stopping you from just walking out.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Supsup Ch 12:

quote:

Alden’s school was ostensibly big on security. Getting into or out of the building during the middle of the day was supposed to be a whole thing, with permission slips and id checks and no child unaccounted for, ever.

But when he reached the main office, the mail guy was delivering heavy boxes, and the front doors were propped open by a dolly.

Alden didn’t even have to talk to anyone.

He just walked right out, crossed the parking lot, and kept going.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Supsup Ch 12:

Oh, I'd forgotten that part. (SupSup 115) Yeah, that does kind of sound like the gloss in action now that you mention it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

Who's mad now!

The gloss had been going for 2 days when we got Aimi's pov, and when Alden got selected it was 2 days to the funeral. So wandering out of school may be related (but I'm not sure how it helps the velras compared to him just....dealing with it that afternoon?), but the prior Gordon stuff was pre gloss.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I think it's probably a good bet that any unlikely coincidences that happened during the Gloss are probably due to it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
There's quite a lot of talk throughout the whole series that the gloss has been very mythologised and people often blame anything at all bad that happened to them on it even if they had nothing to do with the Velras. The girl whose suddenly dead pet caused her to ask out Lute is the prime example.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

awesmoe posted:

The gloss had been going for 2 days when we got Aimi's pov, and when Alden got selected it was 2 days to the funeral. So wandering out of school may be related (but I'm not sure how it helps the velras compared to him just....dealing with it that afternoon?), but the prior Gordon stuff was pre gloss.

The real question I have is if the gloss ended up being used because of Alden's thing with Gorgon We could be layers deep here, y'all.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

NinjaDebugger posted:

The real question I have is if the gloss ended up being used because of Alden's thing with Gorgon We could be layers deep here, y'all.

its a good question! the answer is no, its unrelated (except in that its a story with a narrative created by an author)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 127 (Patreon)
I'm pretty sure that Alden's Auried is showing up on the magical scanner and Foxbolt was trying to get Alden to reveal something about it when she was asking about his "rope" after very conspicuously pausing when reading through his scanner readout.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 127: Someone mentioned in the comments that Maricel may have received a message from Jacob about something related to his escape attempt(s). Like maybe he ran into trouble or something. I think that sounds pretty plausible. The main alternative theory is "she was summoned." I speculated about it maybe her sibling being selected, but that's pretty far-fetched so I doubt it's the case.

awesmoe posted:

its a good question! the answer is no, its unrelated (except in that its a story with a narrative created by an author)

Yeah, I feel pretty confident saying that people are absolutely reading too much into stuff like that. How does Alden walking out of the school help with him getting Chainer to Hazel in the first place :psyduck:?

It seems far more likely that this is just something that Sleyca overlooked (which has happened before with minor things like this).

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 127 (Patreon)
I'm pretty sure that Alden's Auried is showing up on the magical scanner and Foxbolt was trying to get Alden to reveal something about it when she was asking about his "rope" after very conspicuously pausing when reading through his scanner readout.

Huh, didn't notice that, but it sounds like it could be the case. I'm not sure why she'd be okay with keeping it secret, though (and like Alden himself mentioned, he's been through a magical object scanner thing before).

gonadic io posted:

Very good theory raised in the discord re SupSup patreon 127:
Jeffy is the most likely candidate for refusing level ups from the system because it keeps giving him water stuff. He possibly mentioned this week the start of being able to feel his authority. The system will eventually have to bribe him with land skills, and showing everybody that waiting is a good strategy.

I doubt this is the case, especially because he mentioned it with respect to using a spell impression. Even Alden doesn't have any control over his spell impression.

If an authority sense was something Avowed could just stumble into, it would have happened already. Alden was only able to achieve it due to months of being in an environment perfectly tailored towards helping him feel it, plus regularly doing "baby wizard exercises" with Kibby. I feel pretty confident saying that Jeffy is not going to start feeling his authority.

vvv

gonadic io posted:

SupSup 127 This is not quite right. While yes it took Alden that to achieve a full authority sense, he was feeling various vague/weird stuff from teleports for example long before this. If Jeffy (who has been an avowed longer than Alden had at the time) has refused a level up already (not impossible) then he absolutely could be feeling something even if yes it's absolutely not a full authority sense in the wizard meaning of the word.

I think he only felt stuff from the teleports because of whatever was done to his authority by Gorgon, and even that was only because teleports seemingly remove all other sensations (something that doesn't exactly apply to Jeffy using a spell impression). It's possible other Avowed have experienced weirdness during teleports (or other things that are the vaguest hint of an authority sense), but nothing ever comes of it. So we can be confident that the same will apply to Alden's classmates, because it would be extremely contrived if his classmates just happened to be the first Avowed to ever achieve something like that. I'm sure Jeffy isn't the first Avowed to be stubborn.

I think we'll only ever see other characters achieve anything beyond what normal Avowed do with Alden's direct input (as the only human "exception" to potentially guide them in that direction). The only possible exception to this is Boe, because he's a U-type and an exception to begin with (and even then, it'll still probably involve Alden in some way).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 1, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ytlaya posted:

I doubt this is the case, especially because he mentioned it with respect to using a spell impression. Even Alden doesn't have any control over his spell impression.

If an authority sense was something Avowed could just stumble into, it would have happened already. Alden was only able to achieve it due to months of being in an environment perfectly tailored towards helping him feel it, plus regularly doing "baby wizard exercises" with Kibby. I feel pretty confident saying that Jeffy is not going to start feeling his authority.

SupSup 127 This is not quite right. While yes it took Alden that to achieve a full authority sense, he was feeling various vague/weird stuff from teleports for example long before this. If Jeffy (who has been an avowed longer than Alden had at the time) has refused a level up already (not impossible) then he absolutely could be feeling something even if yes it's absolutely not a full authority sense in the wizard meaning of the word.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

gonadic io posted:

this is all just speculation, not really spoilers, but it relates to latest patreon

first off, alden is weird because of gorgon (and before that because of his chaos potential).

nobody has ever suggested getting an authority sense as a reward for not levelling. levelling rewards are usual stuff (skills, spells, points), then (for alden and other people with OG skills) extensions to their existing skills, then big expensive gifts and stuff like refusals as a bribe, then forced levelling. It's not gonna graft an extra sense on to you, and even if it did, it would be a discrete reward for accepting the level, not something you get as part of growing your authority before accepting the level.

Authority senses are totally orthogonal to amount of authority. Thinking that jeffy has a budding authority sense because he has a little bit of extra free authority doesnt make sense, unless you're also going to argue that anyone else with that much free authority could do it? because thats all not levelling would give you - you have some extra free authority floating around, say 20% of your fixed, rather than the 10% it would normally be clipped at.
theres no reason to believe anything has happened with jeffy beyond jeffy being an enthusiastic idiot, which, lets be clear, is extremely in character

an equally likely theory is that winston heelfeather is also a wizard, is feeling extra jealous of alden because he felt alden's authoirty greeting, and plans to use his artonan connections to get big'n'little snake to murder alden when snake gets home.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 1, 2024

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
SS127 I’m really enjoying Alden worrying about people asking questions about his oddities meanwhile literally every non-Alden perspective is everyone talking to each other about how weird Alden is and what’s going on with him.

Also feels like Lute is going to figure something out soon. He’s skipping class to spy on Alden and between how his boss, his grandmother and the school treat Alden he knows that kid is weird.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

uPen posted:

SS127 I’m really enjoying Alden worrying about people asking questions about his oddities meanwhile literally every non-Alden perspective is everyone talking to each other about how weird Alden is and what’s going on with him.

Also feels like Lute is going to figure something out soon. He’s skipping class to spy on Alden and between how his boss, his grandmother and the school treat Alden he knows that kid is weird.

SS127 Max is IMO nearly there too after hearing Marsha say she had to dodge the b-rank skill imo. He's been shown to be watching Alden carefully before.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 127: Someone mentioned in the comments that Maricel may have received a message from Jacob about something related to his escape attempt(s). Like maybe he ran into trouble or something. I think that sounds pretty plausible. The main alternative theory is "she was summoned." I speculated about it maybe her sibling being selected, but that's pretty far-fetched so I doubt it's the case.
Something Jacob related seems likely to me, otherwise a lot of Maricel's homesickness stuff is kind of pointless with her mostly dealing with it without Alden ever doing anything or even really being aware of its severity

Ytlaya posted:

If an authority sense was something Avowed could just stumble into, it would have happened already.
But what if Jeffy is the most awesomest dude ever?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 127 (Patreon)

That (SupSup 127) seems pretty far fetched. She's a professor at a school examining students for cheating; if she had evidence that he really was using an enchanted item she's almost certainly just ask about it. Even if she recognizes an Auriad, the rabbit class specifies that instead of receiving spell impressions as a reward, Rabbits can be rewarded spell instruction and tools for expert performance, so it wouldn't even be too shocking (as far as humans are aware) for Alden to have an Auriad. I just don't see why the Professors would play coy if they spotted it.

As most, maybe she spotted it but thought it was just preserved paracord and that reminded her to ask.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I feel pretty confident saying that people are absolutely reading too much into stuff like that. How does Alden walking out of the school help with him getting Chainer to Hazel in the first place :psyduck:?

It seems far more likely that this is just something that Sleyca overlooked (which has happened before with minor things like this).

I am (SupSup 115 theorizing) operating on the assumption that the gloss can't actually change people's minds, just manipulate random events. The Polish kid with chainer (I'm sure I'd butcher the name) wanted a high strength meister class, and didn't want to give chainer to the Velras, so the gloss had to find someone with a high strength meister class that would be willing to trade for chainer and then trade it to the Velras. And it had to do it fast, because Hazel's window was about to close. So getting Alden an early start on class trading was quite likely important there.

Far from a sure thing to be sure, but it seems like a reasonable theory to me.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 2, 2024

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bremen posted:

I am (SupSup 115 theorizing) operating on the assumption that the gloss can't actually change people's minds, just manipulate random events. The Polish kid with chainer (I'm sure I'd butcher the name) wanted a high strength meister class, and didn't want to give chainer to the Velras, so the gloss had to find someone with a high strength meister class that would be willing to trade for chainer and then trade it to the Velras. And it had to do it fast, because Hazel's window was about to close. So getting Alden an early start on class trading was quite likely important there.

(SupSup 115 theorizing) one thing you're also missing is that Aulia strongly believes that people she connects to during the gloss are somehow sent by the gloss to connect with her, beyond what they immediately do for her during the gloss effects. That taxi driver is brought up constantly but also it's almost certain that she thinks this about Alden too, that meeting him was lucky beyond just getting Hazel the class. Who knows, perhaps she's right?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Gloss never does anything impossible. It's all coincidences. It would be really funny if the Gloss isn't even real.

Aulia claims to be the only one who can cast it; and she's a known liar who enjoys manipulating people. She could just be saying random words when doing the chain, and nobody would be able to call her on it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

I might be misremembering the time frames involved. Did Alden start trading that soon after being selected (like within a day of being selected)? If so I take back what I said and it's actually pretty plausible that him getting out of school was gloss-related (since I definitely think Alden getting Chainer from Polish kid was gloss-influenced).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I might be misremembering the time frames involved. Did Alden start trading that soon after being selected (like within a day of being selected)? If so I take back what I said and it's actually pretty plausible that him getting out of school was gloss-related (since I definitely think Alden getting Chainer from Polish kid was gloss-influenced).

I don't know why we are spoilering a RR chapter.

Alden obtained chainer less than a day after being selected (16 hours actually).

Aimi also says in chapter 22 that the B-rank chainer popped up for trade right after the gloss was set, meaning his trade had to have happened after the gloss was active.

quote:

She’d caught that from one of her talks with Aimi yesterday. Chainer had popped up there right after the gloss was set.

In chapter 21, on a Saturday, it was said the gloss was cast 2 days ago.

quote:

It was a doozy of a chain, the kind that could only be completed by Grandma Aulia herself, and it had fallen on the whole family two days ago.

We don't know when exactly on Thursday it was cast, but Alden was selected at "One O'clock on a Thursday" (from the chapter title) so it's probably a pretty good bet that his selection and escape from his school unhindered were related to it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sybot posted:

I really like Katalepsis, the mood of dealing with dark personal and interpersonal issues, and also cosmic horror, actually fits really well. There was a point where I was getting a little frustrated with the bloat, specifically a few arcs ago when every other chapter seemed to solely be sixteen people getting in a room to discuss their next steps (and flirt/snipe at each other), but things seems to have smoothed out a bit as we approach the end(?) of Book One.

Necroepilogos has everything I liked in Kata, and has snappier pacing too, so I'm enjoying it even more. I'd recommend both to people who enjoy stories with dark/horror and LGBT themes.

Yeah, Book One is on the final arc now, last stretch! You're right about the bloat. Sometimes the soap opera nature of the story was getting away from me, but without the freedom of actually spreading outward into soap opera structure. That's something I'm going to explore a bit more in Book Two.

I'm really happy with how Necroepilogos has gone so far, thank you. I use a totally different set of planning techniques for it, to keep the pace rapid and the tension high. Seems to work so far!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LLSix posted:

The Gloss never does anything impossible. It's all coincidences. It would be really funny if the Gloss isn't even real.

Aulia claims to be the only one who can cast it; and she's a known liar who enjoys manipulating people. She could just be saying random words when doing the chain, and nobody would be able to call her on it.

As funny as it would be, I don't think it's believable. They had a drone lose its cargo of vegan muffins in such a way that it dropped through the sunroof of a car Alden was riding it when the Velras didn't even know he was vegan. It may not do impossible things, but it reliably does things so improbable there's clearly something going on.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I bounced off PGtS when I tried it previously but now I'm getting into it (just started book 2) I'm definitely enjoying it. Would recommend.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Alden obtained chainer less than a day after being selected (16 hours actually).

Aimi also says in chapter 22 that the B-rank chainer popped up for trade right after the gloss was set, meaning his trade had to have happened after the gloss was active.

We don't know when exactly on Thursday it was cast, but Alden was selected at "One O'clock on a Thursday" (from the chapter title) so it's probably a pretty good bet that his selection and escape from his school unhindered were related to it.

After Alden left school early, he went to the consulate to see Gorgon, got an introduction to the class trading system, met the B74 jerk, and when he left late at night Gorgon gave the 'let me carry your luggage' hint.

The main takeaway are the hint, and learning from B74 what not to do, both of which led to him having Chainer and wanting something the Velras had (Rabbit). But I'm not sure a few extra hours would have made a big difference, really.

Only options I can think of are:

-if he'd stayed in school, he would've spilled the beans to Boe and Jeremy, and they would have altered his decision making.

-the timing difference means he misses B74 for whatever reason.

-he avoided some completely unrelated and unpredictable event that would've happened if he'd been at school still

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

yeah I dropped it because it was far too anime and lesbian for me

embarrassing

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

How long pre-Gloss was Gorgon's 75% prediction?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Griddle of Love posted:

How long pre-Gloss was Gorgon's 75% prediction?

According to the timeline on the discord (which is the only reason anybody would want to visit that discord it's pretty dire and seems to be full of 12 year olds no I won't introspect why) it's unclear but possibly up to a month before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, I definitely agree. I imagine the Gloss influenced a ton of tiny things during that short period that lead to Alden getting Chainer, with Alden getting out of the school easily being one of them (though it's honestly probably equally likely that Sleyca just forgot about the "Alden's high school had heavy security" thing).

(I was only spoilering because I was replying to a post that had spoiler tags and generally err on the side of caution; someone could conceivably infer something like "this past event is relevant to the current Patreon chapters" - though that's not really the case here)

Bremen posted:

As funny as it would be, I don't think it's believable. They had a drone lose its cargo of vegan muffins in such a way that it dropped through the sunroof of a car Alden was riding it when the Velras didn't even know he was vegan. It may not do impossible things, but it reliably does things so improbable there's clearly something going on.

Plus all the "blowback" where everyone gets hurt (or otherwise in a bad way) afterwards.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 3, 2024