Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rufio posted:

Take my wife.... please

I’ve got my own to worry about about, please don’t be selfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I bet this feels familiar to some

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050878&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=54#post537527965

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

truavatar posted:

We have one of these. Looks like an owl. We use it all the time and it's held up very well.

We have one of these too and it looks like a frog. Toddler loves her froggy potty and it really helps her use the intimidatingly large and noisy public toilets. When we remember to put it in the diaper bag of course . . .

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:murder:

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Why is everything a fight with the toddler now. This “No!” Phase is frustrating, but if it was consistently No then I could handle it.

It’s the constant contradictions and illogic.

“Which shoe do you want to put on? Crocs or sneakers?”
“NO SHOES”
“Ok well I’m gonna put crocs on you.”
“I WANT SNEAKERS.”
“Sure here’s sneakers.”
“I WANT CROCS”
“Ok fine here you go.”
“NO SHOES”

And thus we set off for daycare in our socks.

“Do you want pancakes?
“Yeah!!!”
“Strawberry or banana?”
“STRAWBERRY”

I lovingly craft homemade pancakes.

“I DONT WANT THOSE.”

We go grocery shopping together, he tells me he wants fish. We pick out the fish. I cook the fish. He looks at it “I don’t want this dinner.” Alright buddy you’re gonna go to bed hungry then.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

When my kid is in A Mood and we ask if he wants to do a thing, he says “YES NO YES NO!!!”

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I feel these last few posts. My kid will reflexively scream NO when I ask if she wants something now and then come back, think about it and be like, oh, yeah, yes.

Also I keep getting suckered into buying her the fruit she asks for at the store and then won't eat at home like grapes! She demanded to get them last time and then when I cut them up for her they were apparently stucky (stinky and yucky, apparently, per her)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We’re very cautious not to compare the two in front of each other, but I’m hoping there’s some intrinsic sibling rivalry that’ll make my 3yo eat more when the 1yo is pounding down food right next to them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh yeah got called by school, resulted in an ER visit...

Did you know you can dislocate not just your shoulders, but also your thumbs?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Doll House Ghost posted:

Simultaneous norovirus and cold. I have never related to Captain Haddock more:

drat this is us. Babies were clearly sick but not too bad all week, with the parents getting sore throats and stuffy noses yesterday, followed by the toddler throwing up at 330am last night and not able to keep anything down today. The bedroom portion of the house faintly smells like vomit and everyone is grumpy, hungry and wiped out.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

No advice but we've had 1.5 successful potty poops in 3 months of trying so you're not alone!

2.5!!!!!!!

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

7 kids in the elder shitlings class have strep throat. Coughing since yesterday. 3rd week of respiratory bullshit. Ffs.

I managed to travel to China and back without catching anything. Three respiratory bugs and one stomach bug since my return three weeks ago!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My twins went back to daycare today for the first time this week after being sick with a cold for 5 days, and not 2 hours into the day I get a call saying my daughter has diarrhea.

Seems like I'm not alone though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

3-year-old daughter happily uses one of the small toilets we have but is hit or miss on wanting to go in the big kid toilet, but we are trying. Typically if she announced she has to go, I can quickly encourage her to go to the real bathroom and that has a decent success rate, but the challenge now is getting her to understand how to wipe

I'm wondering if her sister, who just turned 9 months, will be better as she watches her sibling constantly and desperately wants to follow even though we haven't quite gotten crawling down

Really, the potty training isn't the hard thing now. My 3yo is still having trouble sleeping through the night as her imagination has been gaining steam so she's worried about everything from "bad guys" to "bad noises". She will climb out of bed or call for us and it is wildly inconsistent. We are doing our best keeping her to a consistent schedule and being patient when she leaves her room, but my wife and I are ready to have even just an hour of our evenings back instead of putting her back in bed again and again

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

3.5!!!!! LFG!!!!!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

hallo spacedog posted:

I feel these last few posts. My kid will reflexively scream NO when I ask if she wants something now and then come back, think about it and be like, oh, yeah, yes.

My 16-year-old does this. It’s almost cute when I ask them to do something, they say NO, ask if they can say NO some more, repeat NO a handful of times, then go do whatever I asked (without ever saying yes).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Checking to see if anyone else has had this potty training situation and whey they did for it: 2.5 year old is doing great in general, he's going whne he needs to, very few accidents. But he's pooping small poops during his nap and overnight.

We've read that can be a sign of constipation, but he usually has a giant poop in the morning (like 9-10a) and he'll still do a little poop when sleeping.

We haven't tried training for sleep yet, for a lot of reasons. His room has a jack/Jill bathroom so we haven't converted his crib yet because we honestly aren't sure how to keep him from wandering around the tub bath area at night. He also has poo poo ventilation in his room so we try to keep those doors open (it's a whole thing, will probably use a baby gate in the doorway).

Anyway TLDR: kid poops big during the day, but still poops little poops during his sleep.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My almost 2 year old son used to get a limited amount of Miss Rachel every so often, with exceptions for when he was feeling sick. But now he’s throwing tantrums crying for the EEE-moh (remote) and I decided to go cold turkey for a while until I can reintroduce the TV in small doses. Is there a better way to do this? It’s been raining a bunch so we’ve been stuck indoors.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This virus hell week will soon be over. The only one not going to school tomorrow is the oldest, she’s still not 100%.

Already had the day off, which is nice. What’s not nice is that my wife and I were gonna go do a weekend getaway this weekend, that’s not happening now. :negative:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Dad, I want a hot dog with meatballs and meat sauce and cheese on it for dinner. (after a bit of discussion, he wants a meatball sub basically).

Yesterday he hated cheese and meatballs on his spaghetti.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Today at lunch: I want some water

It's like, 85 and humid and sunny so that's reasonable. Order some water

Water arrives: NOT THIS WATER! proceeds to have melt down

5 minutes into melt down: I want the little bottle

5 minutes later: I want the pink little bottle (oh, the one for daycare, that's in the hotel room. Like half a mile away)

Even the secret squirrel tablet we brought along isn't helping. People are staring.

25 minutes later drag the sobbing and crying 3 year old up the elevator and she gets her little pink water bottle

Probably going to have to give up on traveling more than 10 miles from the house for the next two years, I guess? This must be the terrible threes everyone has been telling us about. Been traveling about 7 days now and I think she hit her limit 2 days ago, can't handle anything right now. Way way too much deviation from her regular schedule even though she's getting plenty of sleep and food (and water)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dazerbeams posted:

My almost 2 year old son used to get a limited amount of Miss Rachel every so often, with exceptions for when he was feeling sick. But now he’s throwing tantrums crying for the EEE-moh (remote) and I decided to go cold turkey for a while until I can reintroduce the TV in small doses. Is there a better way to do this? It’s been raining a bunch so we’ve been stuck indoors.

tell me if you figure out something, my son just hands me the remote when something he doesn't care for is on. "okay, go." you better put on something I want... or else

but we've never been super strict about TV and screens in the house, I'm sure it can't go wrong when thinking about the next 10-12 years

cailleask
May 6, 2007

If you want to travel a lot with little guys you have to make traveling a lot a normal thing? It sounds kinda backwards, but if you treat small trips (like to the mall) the same way you treat something an airplane ride away, then they get used to ‘outside the house, can’t get x’ as a normal part of life. Like toddlers still gonna toddler, but if you keep the rules really consistent no matter where you are then it can be easier.

Signed, a person who traveled a lot including internationally with a 1 and 4 year old.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

cailleask posted:

Signed, a person who traveled a lot including internationally with a 1 and 4 year old.

I'd like to subscribe to more tips about doing this. This summer we're going to have to fly overseas with a two year old for about a week. :mildpanic:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Good soup! posted:

3-year-old daughter happily uses one of the small toilets we have but is hit or miss on wanting to go in the big kid toilet, but we are trying. Typically if she announced she has to go, I can quickly encourage her to go to the real bathroom and that has a decent success rate, but the challenge now is getting her to understand how to wipe

Did your older kid really wipe herself at 3? I’m getting the impression from other parents that we shouldn’t expect a proper wipe to happen until they’re about 5-6. As in, a poop wipe, that is. My 5-year old is still calling for us to do it, so are we behind the curve on this?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

I'd like to subscribe to more tips about doing this. This summer we're going to have to fly overseas with a two year old for about a week. :mildpanic:

For real though, it’s just practice and consistency. Traveling on the airplane should feel like traveling in the cars (similar rules!). Figure out how you want them to sleep on the trip, and how close you can make that to their existing sleep system. Are you going to want them to nap in the stroller and they don’t right now? Practice going to the mall at nap time and pretend you’re in another country and it’s just going to have to work.

The closer you can align what you do every day with what you’ll do when you travel (and vice versa), the simpler your life will be!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we are on an airplane at least every other month with our kiddo, last year we were going from the east coast to California round trip every month. And other grandma lives in Texas. She had a frequent flier number with three airlines by the time she was 1. She still fit in a car seat and wore diapers. I even traveled solo with her a couple times. Easy mode. Airplanes are fine you just act like it's an exciting event/treat. With a tablet (that has Disney+ installed) it's no problem at all. Kids adjust pretty quick to that stuff.

Using outside potties day in day out isn't working for us. I'll try out that folding potty shield thing, I think that might work if we start using it at home on the regular. I'm eager to get her out of diapers I think we're starting to regress. It seems like she only wears undies at school and before bed

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Welp, it's now a daily choice between a nap and a sensible bedtime, which probably means my son's gonna stop napping entirely, soon.

I am going to miss that time to myself so much

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Summer camp registrations are starting to open up. There are great places around our city that are super competitive to get into. One such place, the Children's Museum, has amazing weekly programs. Registration opened at 8:30 AM today and was waitlist only at 8:45 AM. Completely nuts.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
I hope one day to live in a country where parents don't have to desperately scramble to have basic childcare year-round, at extortionate cost.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I thought the ear infections were done but nope. Double ear infections and bronchitis for both of my twins.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Our oldest has an ear infection too. Both boys were awake at various points of the night leading to me being awake from basically 3am. I'm dying

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did your older kid really wipe herself at 3? I’m getting the impression from other parents that we shouldn’t expect a proper wipe to happen until they’re about 5-6. As in, a poop wipe, that is. My 5-year old is still calling for us to do it, so are we behind the curve on this?

5 is when we cut ours off from wipe help, we reminded her for the month or so before and we stopped doing it for the most part in the last weeks, just doing checks and having her try again as many times as needed in a very matter of fact way. Just had to be OK with the number of flushes it took sometimes.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

I thought the ear infections were done but nope. Double ear infections and bronchitis for both of my twins.

F

Good luck.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Summer camp registrations are starting to open up. There are great places around our city that are super competitive to get into. One such place, the Children's Museum, has amazing weekly programs. Registration opened at 8:30 AM today and was waitlist only at 8:45 AM. Completely nuts.

Completely nuts. I’m glad it was in my radar as my daughter enters kindergarten or we would’ve been screwed. I literally logged on in the middle of moving houses to sign up for seven consecutive sessions of summer camp. And there are still massive gaps in our schedule between the end of the school year, camp, and the start of the school year.

I wasn’t aware we parents magically got an extra 4 weeks of pto that nobody told us about.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Summer break is loving stupid why do we still have it

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How would society function if we didn't close down schools to allow farm kids to stay home and get mangled by heavy machinery for three months every year? Why, we would starve!

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Lack of understanding pronouns gives some real whiplash.

2-year-old: *smashes big tower he built, immediately starts melting down* “YOU BROKE IT!!”

First instinct is to ask how I did it - then realize he means he broke it (he thinks he’s “you”) and is upset with himself for lack of impulse control. It’s sad!

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Have you cranks considered that summer break actually rules though? Just because y'all rely on school for child care doesn't mean we should institutionalize our kids all year around.

Also summer break has nothing to do with working kids on the farm lmao. Field work is done in spring and fall for planting and harvest times.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Starting potty for the twins today. Pray for us

Our son poo poo all over the living room already. Didn't seem to even notice he was pooping. This is going to be a long frustrating time isn't it?