Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I mean, these days you just use a Windows Storage Space to do that, its built-in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Yeah if you don't care about the old Windows on it, that's what I'd do. Book the live linux USB installer and just blam a new partition table on both drives with gparted / KDE partitionmanager.

I'm not sure how best to use that EMMC drive. Linux is much less amenable to doing things like "install some of your programs on drive D to make them faster". Like, you could do that with links, but it's a PITA.

Using part of that sda for /boot isn't a bad idea, it'll make the laptop boot faster at least.

All right! I've completely obliterated both sda and sdb. I'm trying to figure out how to set up the partitions now in the EndeavourOS installer.

I'm assuming I want the boot and swap partitions on sda, so, modeling it on the example it shows if I were to go with defaults, it marks 1000MiB as "EFI system" with FAT32 file system and 8.11 as swap.

So, my guess on how to do this is...
sda (SSD):
1000 MiB FAT32 mounted at /efi, flagged as boot
8305 MiB (roughly 8.11GB?) with linuxswap, flagged as swap
rest of drive allocated as ext4, or should I just leave it as free space?

sdb (HDD):
I assume I want everything else here? What should I be setting this up as to install here?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I would allocate a healthy amount to /home, a a separate partition, so that you never have to touch that again, should you want to install and try another distro.
And root (/) can have the rest. 200GB should be plenty for /, in my opinion, with the rest for /home. However, ultimately it all depends on what you want to do on that computer. EFI partition, I have mine set for 100MB, with 2 OS-es using it. Both windows and fedora only use 32MB of it. Swap, I have 2GB, but I also have 32GB of RAM. It's ... up to you really how much you want to give it.

There's no right or wrong answer here, and with time you may find out that "oh hey, I really wish I'd have done this or that", and you'll know better for next time.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Volguus posted:

There's no right or wrong answer here, and with time you may find out that "oh hey, I really wish I'd have done this or that", and you'll know better for next time.

The Linux Experience in a nutshell (strike "may")

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

eMMC as a cache to speed things up in RAID0

Klyith posted:

Exactly how much cocaine were lenovo's engineers doing when they came up with this
All of it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Discovered that my EFI partition had two different Grub executables. The one in \Boot was apparently old and booted with a baffling error that made it seem like all 4 of my disks were malfunctioning. The other one in \GRUB works properly.
Deleted the bad one and took a nice deep breath. What an unpleasant surprise that all was.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's /, \ is for escaping special characters.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's specifically an EFI path which is why I use backslash

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

EFI has that distinctive Microsoft smell, yeah. FAT, backslashes, drive names ending in colons, even the colors reminds me of powershell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ever messed around in the EFI shell? It's excruciating, like a worse version of ms-dos.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

All right! I've completely obliterated both sda and sdb. I'm trying to figure out how to set up the partitions now in the EndeavourOS installer.

I'm assuming I want the boot and swap partitions on sda, so, modeling it on the example it shows if I were to go with defaults, it marks 1000MiB as "EFI system" with FAT32 file system and 8.11 as swap.

So, my guess on how to do this is...
sda (SSD):
1000 MiB FAT32 mounted at /efi, flagged as boot
Have this mounted at /boot instead to put the kernels into this space. (/efi is just the GRUB bootloader, which is tiny)

quote:

8305 MiB (roughly 8.11GB?) with linuxswap, flagged as swap
✔️

quote:

rest of drive allocated as ext4, or should I just leave it as free space?
just leave it free it's not really worth loving with

quote:

sdb (HDD):
I assume I want everything else here? What should I be setting this up as to install here?

Filesystem btrfs, mount point /, flag root

You don't need to make a separate /home partition as Volguus suggested -- Endeavour makes a @home subvolume in btrfs which accomplishes the same goals.

(When you do this on your main desktop PC on your new nvme drive, you might want to have an dedicated ext4 partition for game installs if you do games. btrfs is cool for doing snapshots and rollbacks but you don't need that for games, and constantly getting game updates from steam will just clutter up a Copy on Write filesystem. Also if you do VMs at all, they don't like btrfs. This is mildly nitpicky but that's what I've done.)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xzzy posted:

Ever messed around in the EFI shell? It's excruciating, like a worse version of ms-dos.

I haven't.

And after this part of the discussion, I'm really glad for it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's kind of interesting, but indeed also annoying. Last time I poked at it I concluded that there is no obvious difference between a block device with and without a readable filesystem except that the latter fails when you try to list files?

I have no idea if that is right, but just the fact that I still don't know says something.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Have this mounted at /boot instead to put the kernels into this space. (/efi is just the GRUB bootloader, which is tiny)

✔️

just leave it free it's not really worth loving with

Filesystem btrfs, mount point /, flag root

You don't need to make a separate /home partition as Volguus suggested -- Endeavour makes a @home subvolume in btrfs which accomplishes the same goals.

(When you do this on your main desktop PC on your new nvme drive, you might want to have an dedicated ext4 partition for game installs if you do games. btrfs is cool for doing snapshots and rollbacks but you don't need that for games, and constantly getting game updates from steam will just clutter up a Copy on Write filesystem. Also if you do VMs at all, they don't like btrfs. This is mildly nitpicky but that's what I've done.)

Oh, whoops re: not needing a separate home partition. Well, I was in the process of installing when you had posted this so I didn't see it. This is what I ended up with:

Is there any way to change that now that it's already installed, or is it not necessary? Everything on sdb is btrfs btw.

I didn't have time to mess around with my PC last night, so I'll try to do so tomorrow when I have more time.

Right now I'm trying out GNOME but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the way it controls yet or not. I know it's probably a matter of unlearning 30+ years of Windows use but some things just feel weird. Can't minimize stuff, isn't easy to see what's currently running and what isn't, the app drawer is a disorganized mess (though I can fix that myself obv). Maybe I just don't get it yet. I was using KDE most when I was messing around on VMs on my PC and that felt pretty natural for me.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Framboise posted:

Right now I'm trying out GNOME but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the way it controls yet or not. I know it's probably a matter of unlearning 30+ years of Windows use but some things just feel weird. Can't minimize stuff, isn't easy to see what's currently running and what isn't, the app drawer is a disorganized mess (though I can fix that myself obv). Maybe I just don't get it yet. I was using KDE most when I was messing around on VMs on my PC and that felt pretty natural for me.

Yeah learning a new desktop environment does require you to look at things differently.

You don't actually need to minimize things, you just need to bring whatever app you want to use to the foreground and let the other app sit in the background. You can move apps to different workspaces if you really want an uncluttered background, or there are extensions you can install to allow you to minimize apps if you really want.

Tap the super key (that's the windows key) to show all the running apps, super+tab or alt+tab to switch between apps, and super+tilde to switch between windows in the current app (if it has multiple windows).

You also don't really need to care about the app drawer. If you want to launch an app just tap super then start typing the name of the app then press enter when it shows up. I frequently type super then FIR to launch firefox, and super then TER to launch a terminal window, super then FIL to launch the file brower, etc...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The key to Gnome is learning the key bindings, and then it's cool.

Also installing as many extensions as you can up to the point of it breaking on you.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Framboise posted:

Oh, whoops re: not needing a separate home partition. Well, I was in the process of installing when you had posted this so I didn't see it. This is what I ended up with:

Is there any way to change that now that it's already installed, or is it not necessary? Everything on sdb is btrfs btw.

I didn't have time to mess around with my PC last night, so I'll try to do so tomorrow when I have more time.

You could easily change it like so:

1) Boot up a live image - anything that can read btrfs
2) Mount your / partition somewhere, and your /home partition somewhere else (but not at /home)
3) Move the actual contents of the /home partition to the /home folder in the / partition
4) Go edit /etc/fstab in your / partition and remove the entry for /home
5) Reboot and boot normally from your internal drives

I'm not sure if there's much reason to, if you don't think you are likely to run out of space in either partition. It might be easier to just reinstall in any case, especially if you also want to expand the / partition to consume the whole drive.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 30, 2024

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Apparently Sudo has a logo. I won't ruin the surprise...

https://www.sudo.ws/about/logo/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shame about the stalker vibes on the face though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

I would not bother, this is your gently caress around and find out install. Now you know for next time when it counts. What you have is totally functional.

The main difference between 2 partitions for / and /home versus subvolumes of a single btrfs partition is that you don't have to care about how much space to give each of them. I think you will still be able to have pacman make automatic rollback snapshots of /.

Framboise posted:

Yeah KDE is a very natural crossover from Windows.

GNOME I'm not into at all, though I did at one point see a video about a thing called Material Shell that transforms gnome into a hybrid tiling window manager. It seemed like the one tiling window manager I might be able to use myself. Particularly on something like a laptop.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Pop Cosmic shell extension is also really good if you want Gnome to act like a twm but can't be bothered learning how to configure one. It's ludicrously simple to use.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

The Pop Cosmic shell extension is also really good if you want Gnome to act like a twm but can't be bothered learning how to configure one. It's ludicrously simple to use.

Dare I say they should all be so easy to use...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Klyith posted:

So how do the subvolumes with reinstalls? How do you wipe all the other subvolumes but not @home? And what happens when you install an OS that prefers to use some other FS than BTRFS?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Framboise posted:

Having multiple partitions means that you're free to format each with whatever filesystem you want. Going btrfs with subvolumes means that you have to stay with btrfs (until you nuke and reformat everything). As I said before, there's no right or wrong answer. Like Tad Naff said: you will want to change things in the future, so really, it doesn't matter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The key to Gnome is learning the key bindings, and then it's cool.

Also installing as many extensions as you can up to the point of it breaking on you.

The Skyrim Desktop Environment

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Saukkis posted:

So how do the subvolumes with reinstalls? How do you wipe all the other subvolumes but not @home?

I would want to check for any particular distro, but I think most of the big distros that are btrfs-default handle it pretty much automatically. For example, Fedora has a test case specifically for this.

If the distro doesn't do it automatically -- or uses a different naming scheme, "@" for / and "@home" for /home seem to be pretty universal but who knows what some random distro will do -- you can rename subvolumes with mv.

Of course, back up everything first.

Saukkis posted:

How do you wipe all the other subvolumes but not @home?

sudo btrfs subvolume delete the_target

Saukkis posted:

And what happens when you install an OS that prefers to use some other FS than BTRFS?

I think this would mean "not linux", since btrfs is in the kernel and any distro can use it even if they don't default to it? In that case I guess you would need to back up everything elsewhere and then restore. But, uh, you'd also need to do that to move from ext4.

If you're installing a distro that doesn't use the same btrfs scheme as everyone else you'd need to manually fstab the @home to /home, or rename it, or do whatever the weird distro does.

OTOH there are totally valid reasons to have /home as a separate partition, using ext4 or btrfs or whatever else. I would anticipate that distro-hopping is easier that way than using btrfs subvolumes -- with subvolumes I'd want to confirm each distro's support. And ext4 is a good all-around FS that has no weird gotchas like "you need to disable CoW if you store VM images here".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Bluth posted:

Apparently Sudo has a logo. I won't ruin the surprise...

https://www.sudo.ws/about/logo/

Oh, I get it.

Klyith posted:

I would not bother, this is your gently caress around and find out install. Now you know for next time when it counts. What you have is totally functional.

The main difference between 2 partitions for / and /home versus subvolumes of a single btrfs partition is that you don't have to care about how much space to give each of them. I think you will still be able to have pacman make automatic rollback snapshots of /.

Volguus posted:

Having multiple partitions means that you're free to format each with whatever filesystem you want. Going btrfs with subvolumes means that you have to stay with btrfs (until you nuke and reformat everything). As I said before, there's no right or wrong answer. Like Tad Naff said: you will want to change things in the future, so really, it doesn't matter.

Seems like I'll just need to mess around with it until I get something I prefer. Perhaps I should format the M.2 drive as 1-1.5 TB ext4 for game installs and 0.5-1 TB btrfs for everything else?

The laptop'll be fine for what it is, which is a guinea pig and not much else.

I'll check it out! I really like the level of customization you can do with tiling window managers but from what I've experienced with them so far it's a hell of a project to take on compared to the ready-to-go nature of DEs. I wanna do a TWM sometime but maybe once I'm more acclimated.

On another note!

Klyith posted:

Yes, that seems like sata 0-3 should work at the same time as a nvme drive.

The Z97 is from the dawn age of nvme. Most boards could not boot from nvme until they got bios updates a while later. So if you've never updated bios, you might need to do that before you can boot the new drive.

(Also as a note your mobo only has gen2x2 lanes for the nvme drive, so it will be quite restricted in speed. Faster than sata... but not by a lot.)

Turns out the SATA drive was in the one of the connectors that's shared with the SATA express the M.2 drive uses. All I had to do was swap it over to a different connector and put the M.2 drive in.

Says I need to initialize it though. I'm assuming it should be GPT since it's 2TB?

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 1, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Framboise posted:

I'll check it out! I really like the level of customization you can do with tiling window managers but from what I've experienced with them so far it's a hell of a project to take on compared to the ready-to-go nature of DEs. I wanna do a TWM sometime but maybe once I'm more acclimated.

Here's a link to the source/user guide, it's can be a bit glitchy on Wayland but still very useable.

https://github.com/pop-os/shell

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

Seems like I'll just need to mess around with it until I get something I prefer. Perhaps I should format the M.2 drive as 1-1.5 TB ext4 for game installs and 0.5-1 TB btrfs for everything else?

That sounds great, size subject to whatever your personal storage needs are.

I'd probably do the same if I had fewer drives and less of a mental rut about my needlessly complex 15+ year old partitioning scheme.

Framboise posted:

Says I need to initialize it though. I'm assuming it should be GPT since it's 2TB?

Yep, GPT everything these days unless you specifically need old DOS partitioning for compatibility. GPT is required to support UEFI boot.

(If you initialize in Windows there will be a mystery 16MB Microsoft partition on the drive when you go to install linux on it. You can delete that, MS adds them to support a specific windows-only thing and Disk Manager hides their very existence.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

That sounds great, size subject to whatever your personal storage needs are.

I'd probably do the same if I had fewer drives and less of a mental rut about my needlessly complex 15+ year old partitioning scheme.

Yep, GPT everything these days unless you specifically need old DOS partitioning for compatibility. GPT is required to support UEFI boot.

(If you initialize in Windows there will be a mystery 16MB Microsoft partition on the drive when you go to install linux on it. You can delete that, MS adds them to support a specific windows-only thing and Disk Manager hides their very existence.)

All right, GPT it is. Hopefully next time I post in here it'll be on a fresh Linux install.

And yeah, once I upgrade my motherboard and such I'll probably pick up another drive and partitioning like that won't even be necessary.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
All right, I'm in.

I think I might've hosed something up though (not a big deal, I'm not scared of wiping anything and starting fresh since it was such a painless process).

First, grub didn't pick up on my Windows 10 install at all, so I need to boot into it from the BIOS menu instead. Not sure what I did wrong. Should I have installed systemd-boot instead?

Also, I wasn't sure where to mount the partition I was gonna use for steam installs and stuff so I ended up picking /home. Should I have put it as / instead? (Is that something I can do without reinstalling, if so?)

Here's how I've got things laid out either way:

sda is my HDD where I've got the bulk of everything I have on Windows-- Steam installs, pictures, music, videos etc. It's all here.
sdb is the SATA SSD where I've got Windows installed (along with program files, etc).
nvme0n1 is the M.2 SSD where I just installed EndeavourOS.
Not sure what sr0 is.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Looks like sr0 is a cd/dvd drive, real or emulated. If you don't have a real one, I suspect some sort of emulated "here are your OEM drivers" thing from the bios?

Give it a taste test with "file -s sr0" and see if there's anything there, maybe?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

First, grub didn't pick up on my Windows 10 install at all, so I need to boot into it from the BIOS menu instead. Not sure what I did wrong. Should I have installed systemd-boot instead?

Oh dang, I bet I know what's up here: your Windows install is an old-school legacy / dos boot, not UEFI. If grub is booting in uefi mode it won't grab non-uefi OSes.

You can convert the Windows install to GPT & UEFI booting... or just leave it and use the BIOS menu.

Framboise posted:

Also, I wasn't sure where to mount the partition I was gonna use for steam installs and stuff so I ended up picking /home. Should I have put it as / instead? (Is that something I can do without reinstalling, if so?)

Here's how I've got things laid out either way:

Er no, putting that 2nd partition as /home means your whole user profile will live there, rather than being on a subvolume of the 1st brtfs partition. (This is not wrong per se -- that's the setup that Volguus advocated. The only thing that's bad about this is you don't need 500 GB for the main partition if your home is elsewhere.)

Putting that partition as / would mean that the entire OS lives there. / is the root of the OS, think of that as "C:" in windows.

You don't want that to be anything in the dropdown list -- those are all pre-defined system paths. (If / is C:, /home is C:\Users and /usr and /opt are C:\Program Files)

Instead you can type a mount point into the box, for example /mnt/games or /home/games. Mount points are fairly arbitrary. /mnt is the customary place to put mounts, but I really like putting them in /home since the GUI file managers & pickers make /home easy to get to. (But this means you really don't want to make a user called "games", as their user folder would stomp on your game drive.)

Kinda like this (but bigger than 10GB):

Uhhh, I'm not really sure how to properly fix that? Where you are now it might be easier to redo the install.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

Looks like sr0 is a cd/dvd drive, real or emulated. If you don't have a real one, I suspect some sort of emulated "here are your OEM drivers" thing from the bios?

Give it a taste test with "file -s sr0" and see if there's anything there, maybe?

Ah yeah, that'd be the PC's CD/DVD drive.

Klyith posted:

Oh dang, I bet I know what's up here: your Windows install is an old-school legacy / dos boot, not UEFI. If grub is booting in uefi mode it won't grab non-uefi OSes.

You can convert the Windows install to GPT & UEFI booting... or just leave it and use the BIOS menu.

Er no, putting that 2nd partition as /home means your whole user profile will live there, rather than being on a subvolume of the 1st brtfs partition. (This is not wrong per se -- that's the setup that Volguus advocated. The only thing that's bad about this is you don't need 500 GB for the main partition if your home is elsewhere.)

Putting that partition as / would mean that the entire OS lives there. / is the root of the OS, think of that as "C:" in windows.

You don't want that to be anything in the dropdown list -- those are all pre-defined system paths. (If / is C:, /home is C:\Users and /usr and /opt are C:\Program Files)

Instead you can type a mount point into the box, for example /mnt/games or /home/games. Mount points are fairly arbitrary. /mnt is the customary place to put mounts, but I really like putting them in /home since the GUI file managers & pickers make /home easy to get to. (But this means you really don't want to make a user called "games", as their user folder would stomp on your game drive.)

Kinda like this (but bigger than 10GB):

Uhhh, I'm not really sure how to properly fix that? Where you are now it might be easier to redo the install.

Ah, whoops. I reinstalled and mounted as /home/games for simplicity's sake. And yeah, I'll mess with changing Windows over to GPT once I get settled in over here on Linux. For now it's not a big deal so long as I can still access it.

Time to actually start learning this stuff now, like why won't my computer wake up after I use suspend, and how to configure the terminal to change how it looks when I'm not seeing the option to do so in GNOME.

EDIT: and why Steam won't let me install games into the partition I specifically made for that purpose.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 2, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Framboise posted:

EDIT: and why Steam won't let me install games into the partition I specifically made for that purpose.

You need to fix permissions on /home/games so that you own it. It would default to being owned by root.

Linux is like Windows in that every file & directory has ownership & permissions. Most of the time the only thing a standard user can write to is your /home/username folder, so you have to elevate using sudo to mess with anything else. Unlike Windows it has had this system since the very beginning (and Unix had it before Linux existed), so managing this is one of the basics to learn.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DOS didn't have file-permissions because CP/M didn't, and it took until NT4 to actually have any attempt at enforcing it.
Everything up to Win3.11 was just a single-user environment with barely any concept of multi-tasking (no, I don't count terminate and stay resident).

Hilariously, Chicago-based kernels had the start of limited user access, but you could always just escape it and get to the desktop that way.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

You need to fix permissions on /home/games so that you own it. It would default to being owned by root.

Linux is like Windows in that every file & directory has ownership & permissions. Most of the time the only thing a standard user can write to is your /home/username folder, so you have to elevate using sudo to mess with anything else. Unlike Windows it has had this system since the very beginning (and Unix had it before Linux existed), so managing this is one of the basics to learn.

Hmm. I think I did it.

I used "sudo chown framboise games" and I can install stuff to that partition now. Not sure if that means everything is good from here but it worked!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You could also just have a games group that you're part of, and which has ownership of the games directory.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
To keep this filesystem/disk chat rolling, I'm losing my goddam mind trying to figure out why df says I'm using almost twice what du says. I ran through the top search results like hunting down any deleted processes. Here's potentially relevant output (fairly sure it's not the cloud drive as there aren't enough files in there + the used seems suspiciously close to double what du says + 4gb of metadata I see from "btrfs device usage /"):

As an aside, I've been using this machine for ~3 years while learning linux so the chance I ran a really stupid command at some point is nonnegligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If btrfs is anything like zfs, df and du can't estimate worth poo poo because any userland tool doesn't understand the on-disk format used and also don't understand in-line compression.