Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batcat
May 2, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

He puts rudder left, right wing low, and then adds more thrust on left side to help counter the leftward movement on ground track.

That appears to be a physics workable solution to it if I remember the steps correct.

Throttling up the engines on the left side pushes the nose back over to the right so at that point he's fighting the wind and his own aircraft to keep the side-slip going. The whole sequence isn't great, he doesn't even straighten up as he crosses the threshold, just bounces the thing down at a 45 degree angle but since we now know the landing gear on a B-17 can survive smashing into the edge of a cliff I suppose it's fine.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Has anyone read the source material book this is based on? The show just feels so disjointed and quick.

Yeah it's all over the place, I found it hard going at times it's just 500 pages of who did what and when, if there is a narrative thread in there it's with the senior command's politics and their reactions to events. There are some incredible individual stories in there but most of them don't amount to more than a page or two and we haven't seen any in the show so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Laughing Zealot posted:

One would think that all the postponement due to covid would have given the fx studios time to polish the cgi.

More time really wouldn't fix the problems that are currently wrecking the VFX industry. There's this production mindset that cgi can just fix things with a button press, so people keep slamming that button repeatedly causing work to pile up for CGI artists to try and keep up with changing studio requirements.

There's also the problem that a lot of directors know sweet gently caress all about how to actually use VFX tools. The Volume Soundstage is an incredible tool when used properly. We have CGI tools now that can make phototealistic images, static or in motion. It's all about how they're used, and modern day production bloat means they're usually used in an extremely shoddy, expensive and wasteful manner.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Batcat posted:

Throttling up the engines on the left side pushes the nose back over to the right so at that point he's fighting the wind and his own aircraft to keep the side-slip going. The whole sequence isn't great, he doesn't even straighten up as he crosses the threshold, just bounces the thing down at a 45 degree angle but since we now know the landing gear on a B-17 can survive smashing into the edge of a cliff I suppose it's fine.

Yeah it's all over the place, I found it hard going at times it's just 500 pages of who did what and when, if there is a narrative thread in there it's with the senior command's politics and their reactions to events. There are some incredible individual stories in there but most of them don't amount to more than a page or two and we haven't seen any in the show so far.

I found this the other day when i was curious about the crosswind landing scene. Cool to read a forum post from someone who flew one.

"The B-17 does not like crosswinds. When it was designed in the 1930's, most airfields were big squares. Or they have 5 or 6 runways. So you could always land pretty close into the wind. There are fewer and fewer airports with crosswind runways these days. We are lucky because we have 16/34 and 09/27 runways at Meacham. That big tail and relatively small rudder give it about a 12MPH crosswind component. To make up for that you have to carry upwind engine in strong crosswinds to help keep the nose straight. Once you touch you don't pull all the power off right away or you just might head for the weeds. It is a ballet of rudder, aileron, upwind engine, and finally (after you have weight on the wheels) brakes that will get you stopped. " - Patrick Mahaffey

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27390&start=15

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I started rewatching The Pacific after watching the first few episodes of this and I was surprised at how Heroic and Good the soldiers are portrayed as. Even if they do bad stuff they're still heroes because what they're doing is necessary and important.

When compared to something like All Quiet on the Western Front it feels downright hoo-rah patriotic (though of course WW1 is often portrayed as pointless while WW2 is the just war).

A similar series I enjoyed as much as The Pacific is Generation Kill.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The important distinction about The Pacific is that it draws from two different sources: Leckie's autobiography "Helmet for my Pillow" and Sledge's book "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa", compared to the single Ambrose book for BOB. So you've got two quite different takes on the war with one starting in 1942 and the other in 1944.

I dont mind the first few episodes of The Pacific but episode 5 onwards is when Sledge's memoirs take center stage and the show gets much better and far more horrific. The swelling heroism doesn't survive the beach landing at Peleliu and even the last Basilone episode strips away at his mythic status by making him just another Iwo Jima casualty.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 1, 2024

Batcat
May 2, 2009

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I found this the other day when i was curious about the crosswind landing scene. Cool to read a forum post from someone who flew one.

"The B-17 does not like crosswinds. When it was designed in the 1930's, most airfields were big squares. Or they have 5 or 6 runways. So you could always land pretty close into the wind. There are fewer and fewer airports with crosswind runways these days. We are lucky because we have 16/34 and 09/27 runways at Meacham. That big tail and relatively small rudder give it about a 12MPH crosswind component. To make up for that you have to carry upwind engine in strong crosswinds to help keep the nose straight. Once you touch you don't pull all the power off right away or you just might head for the weeds. It is a ballet of rudder, aileron, upwind engine, and finally (after you have weight on the wheels) brakes that will get you stopped. " - Patrick Mahaffey

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27390&start=15

Fair enough, thinking on it now I can see it weathervaning but I think that would be a particular case with the B-17 and that huge tail. I still don't like that scene though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The wing being dipped low is the main deciding control for the ground track, the balance of rudder opposite and the asymmetric thrust are what keep the plane aligned mostly right.

If there’s no left side thrust increase, I believe it would not be at a favorable bank to to keep the right wing low, even with the rudder being kicked on the left.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Batcat posted:

Fair enough, thinking on it now I can see it weathervaning but I think that would be a particular case with the B-17 and that huge tail. I still don't like that scene though.

I liked the scene because it shows something about pretty boy. That’s he’s a drat good pilot.

I think it works better than trying to recreate currahee. Also curahee worked in part because they had an antagonist in sobel. Same way that topgun worked because the had viper as an antagonist in the air scenes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

vuk83 posted:

Same way that topgun worked because the had viper as an antagonist in the air scenes

The only antagonist in the "air scenes" in Top Gun is Maverick.

Everyone else is doing their job. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
New episode out. I really liked this one. It had a lot of brutal action, can't imagine what it was like to be on this mission.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

New episode out. I really liked this one. It had a lot of brutal action, can't imagine what it was like to be on this mission.
hell yeah can't wait to watch it after work yo!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it wasn't the Black Thursday Raid yet, but it was the first Regensburg-Schweinfurt Raid on August 17, which was nearly as bad.

They kept calling out FW-190s attacking them and at one point I did see a 190 in the air, so they haven't been wrongly identifying Messerschmitts (though most of the enemy fighters are 109s from what I saw). However it looked like a long-nosed FW-190D version, which would be about a year too early for the raid.

Nitpicking though, because this was definitely the best episode so far. Putting it almost entirely in the air certainly helped.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 2, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Having it be in the air definitely helped. Not need to worry as much about compositing, because it's all going to be CGI unless they got some shots from the air to put planes into.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

So it wasn't the Black Thursday Raid yet, but it was the first Regensburg-Schweinfurt Raid on August 17, which was nearly as bad.

They kept calling out FW-190s attacking them and at one point I did see a 190 in the air, so they haven't been wrongly identifying Messerschmitts (though most of the enemy fighters are 109s from what I saw). However it looked like a long-nosed FW-190D version, which would be about a year too early for the raid.

Nitpicking though, because this was definitely the best episode so far. Putting it almost entirely in the air certainly helped.

For sure the A5's firing the rockets at 16:06

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 2, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah definitely some A5s but I swear I saw a D9 when Gale is staring out and watching the entire formation get shredded in front of him.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I looked, but i couldn't find it.

e: if it's the one at 25:37 i think it's a 109, just reallly stretched out I can't even frame by frame grab it

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 2, 2024

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Good episode, still I had trouble identifying who some people were that weren't Buck and Bucky but I'll get used to it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Okay, so that was a watchable hour of television.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, that was harrowing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
much better episode, only really bad cg shot was when they ditched the ball turret, rip punchy new york guy

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When they did that I thought "They got the guy out of there first, right?"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Indeed, much better episode.
Only minor gripe is their continued need to make Austin Butler's character someone out of an old school propaganda movie. Like, maybe instead of 4 scenes of the co-pilot freaking out only to be reassured by the awesomeness of Austin Butler, we could have done with 2. But still, a pretty minor thing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Cojawfee posted:

When they did that I thought "They got the guy out of there first, right?"

well they saved an extra 150lbs by bolting the door shut, and they'd already picked up an extra 20lbs of entrails on the wing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's just something so loving funny about Austin Butler's look in this. The opening credits always make me burst out laughing.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That episode was way too short, too many things happening right after eachother with just a 'four hours later' subtitle between events. About 40 minutes minus credits and intro titles. HBO got a solid ~55 for BOB and The Pacific and those aired on broadcast television, Apple cheaping out with a short edit on a streaming platform.

The slowmotion shot was a bit too cartoony, I know it's hard to show other planes without contrails on tv else you won't see anything and it was supposed to convey the chaos that was happening in the skies, but its like there was a hundred BF-109s flying nose to tail past the aircraft in about six seconds.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's just something so loving funny about Austin Butler's look in this. The opening credits always make me burst out laughing.

He's got a purdy mouth

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished the ep. I can see why they didn't bother characterising most of the crew lmao.

Fun stuff, though a little more character stuff, thesis, structure etc. couldn't have hurt at all.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

He's got a purdy mouth

Yeah, legit, I think this might be it. He's so pretty he makes me laugh, because he always looks like he's pising. Unless he's wearing a mask.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm only 6 minutes into e3 but had a little thought and this is the place to share them.
This show is extremely my poo poo in a few ways, but aside from that unconditional love, I do think its emulating BoB and sort of merely a copy of a copy of it. Which is fine because, quite frankly, it's 2024 and everything is a copy of a copy of a copy and its all been done before better and if this is what we get then fine.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 2, 2024

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ball turret worst turret confirmed.

The death of Curtis (Barry K) was a real shame. Quite effective in how they set it up, having him almost make it, but then I guess something snagged the front of his fort, pushing it into the ground at an impossible angle. RIP to a real one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I looked, but i couldn't find it.

e: if it's the one at 25:37 i think it's a 109, just really stretched out I can't even frame by frame grab it

Yeah, it was 25:56 I was looking at and you're right it's a 109 that just looks a bit weird from the angle and speed.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BigglesSWE posted:

Ball turret worst turret confirmed.

The death of Curtis (Barry K) was a real shame. Quite effective in how they set it up, having him almost make it, but then I guess something snagged the front of his fort, pushing it into the ground at an impossible angle. RIP to a real one.

The B-24 loving Liberator ball turret could be retracted, to reduce drag and so it could take off/land. It had cute little slots for the guns to slide through. Plenty of these badboys made the trip to Germany too. They built so many of these during the war, they should be on the 100 dollar bill.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

B-24s were hella neat but apparently less resilient to damage so crews tended to prefer the Fortresses.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

BigglesSWE posted:

B-24s were hella neat but apparently less resilient to damage so crews tended to prefer the Fortresses.

They were also slower, and more expensive. They flew a gently caress load out of africa and italy with the 15th.

E: actually not slower, just harder to fly in formation

They made a dent in the U-Boat fleet, that's for drat sure.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 2, 2024

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Longer range made them useful in PTO as well, I believe they made some major ruckus in Rabaul.

Regarding the show, I appreciate that we’ve had minimal “German perspective” shots so far. Apart from flak gunners in ep 1 we never really get to see the enemy as a set up: Jerry planes comes zipping by with little warning, it adds good tension.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
While it would be cool to see from the perspective of a 109/190/A6M5 Zero zooming through the formation, it is probably better that we don't. The show is from the perspective of the bomber crews.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Also, I wish that the remaster of the old b-17 game that they are doing wasn't so buggy and glitchy (according to the reviews), because this episode gave me a real hankering for some old b-17 microprose gaming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are making a VR version. Hopefully that's good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

joepinetree posted:

Also, I wish that the remaster of the old b-17 game that they are doing wasn't so buggy and glitchy (according to the reviews), because this episode gave me a real hankering for some old b-17 microprose gaming.

A long time ago before War Thunder removed the mode there was an event called Guardian Angels where allied pilots had to defend a B17 bombing run from Axis pilots.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Whenever I play HOI4 and USA in particular I always go hog wild with strat bombers. Would love to have a more intricate game available though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I assume they didn’t spend a lot of time characterizing a lot of the people because a large number of them are going to die.

Take a look at the IMDb cast page for the show. The cast is enormous and many are in just one or two episodes.