Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Lol, speaking of Singapore

What a dipshit

The video is fun, Chew cannot fuckin believe how dumb Cotton is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its an act

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

But you see, people of Chinese descent live in singapore!!!! Checkmate you stupid libs!!!!!1

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
e: nm, thread moved on while i was typing this post

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

e: nm, thread moved on while i was typing this post

unless it's about D&D, then post it :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

unless it's about D&D, then post it :colbert:

it wasn't anything terribly interesting. i was just going to point out that the whole "there has never been a revolution that's good for the common person" thing is another loaded statement that you can argue about endlessly until you define some goalposts for what is "good".

like the american revolution is an easy to touch example. yes, poor people died for causes that were largely captured by wealthy slaveowners and merchants, and poor people got cut off from a lot of global trade that made their lives better functionally for the rest of their natural lives in the aftermath. but also, they got a ton of rights that were rare in the time period, and VERY rare for poor people. there was also the immediate benefit of freeing them from poo poo like "you have to quarter this random soldier in your home for months on end" and "you are subject to completely arbitrary confiscation of your property and land". freedom isn't terribly valuable when your primary freedom is the freedom to starve to death, but home and hearth isn't especially valuable when it can be appropriated from you at any moment. so there's a tug of war that invariably gets filtered through the lens of whoever's writing the post.

so, was the revolution worth it? was it "good" or "good enough"? the entire thing is basically tailor made to cause an internet slapfight.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Couldve been better imo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

it wasn't anything terribly interesting. i was just going to point out that the whole "there has never been a revolution that's good for the common person" thing is another loaded statement that you can argue about endlessly until you define some goalposts for what is "good".

like the american revolution is an easy to touch example. yes, poor people died for causes that were largely captured by wealthy slaveowners and merchants, and poor people got cut off from a lot of global trade that made their lives better functionally for the rest of their natural lives in the aftermath. but also, they got a ton of rights that were rare in the time period, and VERY rare for poor people. there was also the immediate benefit of freeing them from poo poo like "you have to quarter this random soldier in your home for months on end" and "you are subject to completely arbitrary confiscation of your property and land". freedom isn't terribly valuable when your primary freedom is the freedom to starve to death, but home and hearth isn't especially valuable when it can be appropriated from you at any moment. so there's a tug of war that invariably gets filtered through the lens of whoever's writing the post.

so, was the revolution worth it? was it "good" or "good enough"? the entire thing is basically tailor made to cause an internet slapfight.

I meant Dungeons and Dragons, not the subforum, sheesh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I meant Dungeons and Dragons, not the subforum, sheesh

yeah exactly

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's some fun stuff in the Kara-Tur campaign setting and then they got incredibly lazy around the edges. Like one of the nations in it is literally just Korea. They didn't even make up fantasy names half the time. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Silla

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
much like games workshop with grand cathay and jaghatai khan's white scars

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Back on topic: How do you know that your economy is actually doing just fine there are no problems at all thank you very much? When you have to threaten financial analysts who don't have a sufficiently positive outlook.

quote:

China’s top intelligence agency issued an ominous warning last month about an emerging threat to the country’s national security: Chinese people who criticize the economy.

In a series of posts on its official WeChat account, the Ministry of State Security implored citizens to grasp President Xi Jinping’s economic vision and not be swayed by those who sought to “denigrate China’s economy” through “false narratives.” To combat this risk, the ministry said, security agencies will focus on “strengthening economic propaganda and public opinion guidance.”

China is intensifying its crackdown while struggling to reclaim the dynamism and rapid economic growth of the past. Beijing has censored and tried to intimidate renowned economists, financial analysts, investment banks and social media influencers for bearish assessments of the economy and the government’s policies. In addition, news articles about people experiencing financial struggles or the poor living standards for migrant workers are being removed.

China has continued to offer a rosy outlook for the economy, noting that it beat its forecast for economic growth of 5 percent last year without resorting to risky, expensive stimulus measures. Beyond the numbers, however, its financial industry is struggling to contain enormous amounts of local government debt, its stock market is reeling and its property sector is in crisis. China Evergrande, the high-flying developer felled by over $300 billion in debt, was ordered into liquidation on Monday.

The new information campaign is wider in scope than the usual work of the government’s censors, who have always closely monitored online chatter about the economy. Their efforts now extend to mainstream economic commentary that was permitted in the past. The involvement of security agencies also underscores the ways in which business and economic interests fall under Mr. Xi’s increasingly expansive view of what constitutes a threat to national security.

In November, the state security ministry, calling itself “staunch guardians of financial security,” said other countries used finance as a weapon in geopolitical games.

“Some people with ulterior motives try to stir up trouble and profit from the chaos,” the ministry wrote. “These are not only ‘bears’ and ‘short sellers.’ These market doomsayers are trying to shake the international community’s investment confidence in China and trigger domestic financial turmoil in our country.”

Over the last year, China has targeted consulting and advisory firms with foreign ties through raids, detainments and arrests. These firms, which helped businesses assess investments in the country, have become collateral damage in Mr. Xi’s drive to bolster national security. Such efforts to curb the flow of information, curtail the release of unfavorable economic data and limit critical financial discourse seem to only deepen the concerns of investors and foreign businesses about the true state of China’s economy.

“In my view, the more the government suppresses negative information about the economy, the less confidence people have in the actual economic situation,” said Xiao Qiang, a research scientist at the School of Information at the University of California, Berkeley.

That last bolded part is particularly funny because it is basically the same logic that is used the MOASS super-stonk people.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Love a bit of censorship to prove nothing is wrong.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Back on topic: How do you know that your economy is actually doing just fine there are no problems at all thank you very much? When you have to threaten financial analysts who don't have a sufficiently positive outlook.

That last bolded part is particularly funny because it is basically the same logic that is used the MOASS super-stonk people.

also cryptobros who yell about FUD

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Tai posted:

Tencent are that borderline predatory ''loot box'' style of games? I remember reading that Xi/China were putting their heel down on this I thought?

this was very promptly rescinded after it cratered tencents stock overnight

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

my understanding is that the lootbox stuff has been standing, but the 1-hour-per-day gaming thing is what was rescinded for cratering the stock market.

i'm by no means following the whole matter super closely so i could be wrong on this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Coolguye posted:

my understanding is that the lootbox stuff has been standing, but the 1-hour-per-day gaming thing is what was rescinded for cratering the stock market.

i'm by no means following the whole matter super closely so i could be wrong on this.

yeah you're wrong or misremembering. basically they rolled back the gaming/gambling restrictions part of the bill but kept the added regulatory rules restricting game approval, which is like the most china possible outcome. also they punished the guy responsible for the original proposal. it's unfortunate because a lot of those restrictions were extremely on the nose wrt fixing the most predatory poo poo in games and some kind of action like that is sorely needed

this post from ronya at the time links a decent summary

ronya posted:

English language deep dive: https://www.pillarlegalpc.com/en/le...Game-Stocks.pdf

for those interested

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lmao money always wins

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

baller, thanks for the link

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

uninterrupted posted:

Like when China emancipated the Tibetan serfs.

I used to be sympathetic to this argument but with coming to understand better the way colonizing states reframe the histories of their subject peoples I've started to suspect the way we understand pre-PRC Tibetan history is a load of crap.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t know anything about the reporter but Pandaily is reporting that Tencent is in early talks to acquire the Dungeons and Dragons IP from Hasbro

apparently this might not be the IP, just the video game (any maybe other) rights (which the article points out but i didn't bother reading it before)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I would very much like for that to be true!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hasbro has come out and said outright that they're not interested in selling the IP

We regularly talk to Tencent and enjoy multiple partnerships with them across a number of our IPs. We don't make a habit of commenting on internet rumors, but to be clear: we are not looking to sell our D&D IP.

We will keep talking to partners about how we bring the best digital experiences to our fans. We won't comment any further on speculation or rumors about potential M&A or licensing deals.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/rzGPPT2.mp4

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
That's just a re-education chamber

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tai posted:

Love a bit of censorship to prove nothing is wrong.

Stock market can have little bit a censorship, as a treat.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

a true goon

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No, a goon would not be able to hold even 1% of that man's composure. :lol:

e: staged

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Goddamn lol

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chinese-migrants-fastest-growing-group-us-mexico-border-60-minutes-transcript/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my favorite bit in that report

quote:

Based on our review of data from Immigration and Customs Enforcement – there are at least 36,000 Chinese who have been ordered by U.S. courts to leave the country. But China is notorious for not taking back its citizens and the U.S. can't force China to accept them.
yeah that more or less makes sense, china be all "naw dawg they are insufficiently xi" and functionally leaving these people as a stateless underclass

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-05/australian-yang-hengjun-sentenced-to-death/103428060

China sentences an Australian citizen to death.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Re: censorship - an observation:

https://twitter.com/henrysgao/status/1754389191407095979

The purgatory between being neither banned nor not-banned has costs in itself

I feel like this would have gone unremarked in the early 2010s as part of Chinese market idiosyncrasy/background radiation but it's only now, with attention paid to 建设法治中国, is there a domestic spotlight cast on arbitrariness like this

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 5, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collateral posted:

Has there been a political revolution that has turned out better for the people, in general, as opposed to those who end up on top?

The Russian revolution lead to the establishment of and a really good run for one of the handful of welfare states to ever exist on the planet. Just not in Russia. And not without twothree wars. Also its dismantling began pretty much the instant the Soviet Union collapsed, and is now all but finished.

Still.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ronya posted:

Re: censorship - an observation:

https://twitter.com/henrysgao/status/1754389191407095979

The purgatory between being neither banned nor not-banned has costs in itself

I feel like this would have gone unremarked in the early 2010s as part of Chinese market idiosyncrasy/background radiation but it's only now, with attention paid to 建设法治中国, is there a domestic spotlight cast on arbitrariness like this

you can ignore this sort of thing if the per-country index performance is like 25% but not if it's -15%

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Turns out desperation and a Kafkaesque legal immigration procedure leaves a messy situation for many.

I never knew that China will essentially repo your citizenship if you get caught.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like it might be the fastest growing group, but still 36k is nothing out of the millions that are crossing the border

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Excuse me, people keep telling me that actually China doesn't execute people and that China having the highest execution rate despite not having executions is just lies.

ergo you are fascists for posting this.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
And even if it did have executions, it would just be the height of Western cultural chauvinism to criticize the practice in China! loving liberals and their saffron-washing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

china does sometimes execute billionaires, which i can get on board with, even if it is just someone removing a political opponent. anything that murks a billionaire gets a certain regard imo