Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I love the puppy
:same:

I also love the Batman pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My wife and I paid H&R Block to do our taxes last year since we got married, she moved states (one of which had an income tax), got her divorce and sale of house finalized (before the marriage), and they were open on a Saturday. All told it was like $100 with the additional bells and whistles, which seemed like not a bad price to pay to just hand all our poo poo to someone, answer some questions and have them figure it all out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Find a CPA if you have anything other than a bone stock standard return

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Find a CPA if you have anything other than a bone stock standard return

This would be my advice too, but I know a lot of times they obviously get booked up, or aren't available at the times you are if you work certain types of jobs. HR Block will meet you at 3:00 AM with 45 minutes notice and accept payment via paper bag full of cash in a Waffle House parking lot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Leperflesh posted:

I have good news for you about inheritance taxes: they don't exist, at least for us poors. The lifetime gift/inheritance tax exemption above which you owe any tax is currently $13.61M (double that for married couples) and it goes up every year.

Outside of people not at all understanding progressive tax brackets, the fundamental misunderstanding around inheritance taxes is probably the funniest financial misconception.

Just like tens of millions of service sector workers arguing that the government doesn’t deserve half the proceeds of their water bed and Xbox liquidation. I paid taxes on those already!!!

DEATH TAX!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gonna be honest, I had a misconception on gifting rules when it came to taxes that I realized after the fact came from the Shawshank Redemption.

RG333
Feb 1, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
The United Stated of America gave me $163 dollars.

gently caress yea...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RG333 posted:

The United Stated of America gave me $163 dollars.

gently caress yea...

16 reregs

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

We had a weird IRL version of this, where we were living with a roommate named Paul who did couch surfing; he gets a text one day from our mutual friend in the Northern Marianas Islands, Keith, who says he's currently hosting an Icelandic woman who happens to be staying with Paul (us) the next day, as she is trying to visit every country in the world, and asks if Paul is going to pick her up from the airport at 6PM. Paul, who can be absentminded on the best of days, agrees, despite not remembering to host anyone that week.

He brings her home, we all go out for drinks and dinner, have a wonderful time. The next morning, she gets an angry text from a guy named Paul who was the actual guy she was supposed to be couch surfing with. Apologies go all around, she heads out to have lunch with Actual Paul, but it turns out he's a complete dickhead, so she stays with us for the next few days.

So now if we ever go to Iceland, we know someone who runs a yoga/horse riding retreat, so we got that going for us. She did make it to every country in the world, too.

This is pretty funny. You stole my Icelandic woman!!

Years ago I got a wrong number call from a bank declining a loan for someone with the same relatively uncommon for Americans but not bizarre first name I have, my first panicked thought was that it was some sort of scam/identity theft but after a few moments of puzzled stuttering and querying the legit-sounding bank official who was calling on what appeared to be a legitimate caller ID from a loan/bank company, we determined he'd fat fingered and transposed the last two digits of the number he called, and the declined loan-requestor and my names being the same were just a weird coincidence. Still odd as hell.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nodoze posted:

It's too bad The Witcher sucked rear end so much he didn't want to do it anymore

Odd way to recap what happened there but ultimately Witcher wasn’t very good - so you’re not wrong - and the adaptations for film are what caused the rift between him and the producer so I get it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

He could have gotten a phenomenal burrito made with that money and the account may have lasted like a day before getting perma’d again

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

What was the RG3 permaban for anyway?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

What was the RG3 permaban for anyway?

Not posting the artisanal burrito.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
And now he just gets drunk and decides to rereg and drunk post and get banned immediately

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How much are you people paying for burritos??

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Not posting the artisanal burrito.

Also maybe some attempted date rape

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The lawsuit over compensation that cost Musk billions was brought by a former metal drummer that held only 9 shares

lol, lmao

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup any shareholder has standing, but any large shareholder does not actually want to do something that endangers the value of their shares, such as suing the company's CEO. So I believe it's not that uncommon for shareholder suits to involve getting someone with a very small amount of shares to be the face of the suit for the purpose of having standing in the court.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You have to be a genius level idiot to be able, as a corporation, to get rekt by the Delaware chancery court who's literal Only Job is being predictable for businesses.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Welp scammers got my uncle. He’d already sent them a few thousand dollars between August and now and I just caught wind of it.

Scammers telling him they had videos of him they recorded from his laptop and they were gonna send them to friends and family if he didn’t pay up. He doesn’t even have a camera on his laptop.

Had to talk him off a ledge because they said if he didn’t pay them $8000 by tomorrow they’d send them out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah christ. Yeah I've had two different elderly people in my family sending thousands of gift card codes to scammers claiming to be defending their bank accounts from hackers, after those parents called a random phone number popping up on a website claiming they're being hacked and then installing remote desktop to let those people watch while they view their bank account so the scammer can see how much money they have

like, after specifically warning both of them of this particular scam and telling them to call me, not anyone else, if they think their computer is hacked

last week that same mother in law's laptop's keyboard is failing in an interesting way and she told me - not asked, announced - that she was hacked. I said no, the keyboard is broken, it's like one key is being held down, that's why when you select emails with the mouse they're all getting moved to the spam folder, it's like some mouse+key click shortcut. She goes oh, I see.

This woman was a technical phone support staffer for AT&T for over forty years. Her first instinct is still "I'm being hacked" even after every single time, it's something else.

My stepmom was scammed twice. Slightly different approach each time. She has almost no money, but she gave away her last dollars a few years ago and then a couple thousand two years ago.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He’s not even that old! He’s 55!

Even after showing him links to articles and people on Reddit dealing with literally the same thing he was still saying they sounded pretty convincing. I’m not sure he 100% believes me. I’m hoping he doesn’t send it anyway

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Joey Freshwater posted:

Welp scammers got my uncle. He’d already sent them a few thousand dollars between August and now and I just caught wind of it.

Scammers telling him they had videos of him they recorded from his laptop and they were gonna send them to friends and family if he didn’t pay up. He doesn’t even have a camera on his laptop.

Had to talk him off a ledge because they said if he didn’t pay them $8000 by tomorrow they’d send them out.

Every device with a camera (minus my phone) gets one of these.

Of course this brings up the bigger question, "What was your uncle doing with his laptop where video evidence would be used as blackmail?"

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If someone said they were sending vids of me waxing the pole unless I gave them $8K, well, uh… sorry mom, just don’t click play

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, tell him not to worry. The videos were on Twitter this morning, and most people agreed they'd seen smaller

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Android Apocalypse posted:

Of course this brings up the bigger question, "What was your uncle doing with his laptop where video evidence would be used as blackmail?"

old people think it's shameful to have kinks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

it's always masturbating

One of the things I've seen is if you have an email/pw combo in one of the databases of hacked email/pw combos, the scammers send a message to that email and tell you that password and then tell you that means they had access to your computer and recorded you etc. etc.
It's more convincing because that pw is in plaintext in the email. I've gotten them due to a email/pw combo that LinkedIn leaked a few years ago.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think y’all are missing where he doesn’t have a camera on his laptop so there’s no way that videos could even exist and he still paid them

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Computers are magic

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How many MAGA hats does he have?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

it's always masturbating

One of the things I've seen is if you have an email/pw combo in one of the databases of hacked email/pw combos, the scammers send a message to that email and tell you that password and then tell you that means they had access to your computer and recorded you etc. etc.
It's more convincing because that pw is in plaintext in the email. I've gotten them due to a email/pw combo that LinkedIn leaked a few years ago.

My FIL gets those exact same scam emails, and they list a password he used (I looked it up on Have I Been Pwned and it was from a breach from a rental car company he used years ago), and he was smart enough to ask his kids if it was real. But also he was using his ISP's email and man those things just are a floodgate for scam / malicious attacks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think y’all are missing where he doesn’t have a camera on his laptop so there’s no way that videos could even exist and he still paid them

Does he even realize that?

I got one of those scam emails a year ago too and if anyone got a video of me they were polite enough not to tell me. My new work computer has a built in slide to cover the camera anyway and you better believe that thing is always covered.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

How many MAGA hats does he have?

lol none that i know of but he lives in Florida and thinks DeSantis is doing a bang up job.

I love the guy but he’s never been the brightest and he’s incredibly naive and takes things he hears on the news and Facebook as gospel.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

People often feel real existential dread when their reputation suffers. You don't always think clearly and rational when you feel that way either.

lovely situation for the bloke.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Unrelated to getting scammed for crankin' my hog, and to the topic of home renovation...

Has anyone installed a water recirculator on their water heater? It looks simple enough. It can take over a minute to get hot water out of most of my faucets, and this seems like a water saver. My only issue is my water heater itself is very old (10ish?) and when I had it inspected, the guy suggested not flushing it since I wasn't sure if it ever had gotten a flush and doing that once at it's age may bring up a bunch of sediment at the bottom and gently caress up the water heater. Either way, my water bill is annoyingly high, and with my plan of replacing toilets (despite thinking I'm not one of those guys who turns 40 and runs out and buys fancy new toilets) I can get this number down.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

seiferguy posted:

Unrelated to getting scammed for crankin' my hog, and to the topic of home renovation...

Has anyone installed a water recirculator on their water heater? It looks simple enough. It can take over a minute to get hot water out of most of my faucets, and this seems like a water saver. My only issue is my water heater itself is very old (10ish?) and when I had it inspected, the guy suggested not flushing it since I wasn't sure if it ever had gotten a flush and doing that once at it's age may bring up a bunch of sediment at the bottom and gently caress up the water heater. Either way, my water bill is annoyingly high, and with my plan of replacing toilets (despite thinking I'm not one of those guys who turns 40 and runs out and buys fancy new toilets) I can get this number down.

Why not just install a new water heater? It's about at the end of it's expected lifespan anyway

edit: unless you've been changing the anode rods I guess then they can last drat near forever

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Black Sunshine posted:

Why not just install a new water heater? It's about at the end of it's expected lifespan anyway

edit: unless you've been changing the anode rods I guess then they can last drat near forever

Yeah, I was thinking about that anyway especially since my local utility company gives credits / rebates out for energy efficient water heaters. I'm running a natural gas water tank so I'd be happy to go to a heat pump for it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

Aside from switching out your water heater, which will probably be the cheaper option, do you have a way to run a pipe from your furthest fixture back to your water heater? Also, is your water heater in a basement, or at least lower than your furthest fixture? If so, then you can create a recirc line without the need for a pump.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I went tankless and it was expensive but worth it. We're no longer keeping hot water hot all the time, and we also can no longer run out of hot water. Drawback: the gas line to the location was so small that we couldn't get a really good sized one, so only one shower simultaneously and if someone turns the hot water on in the kitchen while you're showering, your shower goes cold. We could have paid more, to run a new gas line to the tank, but our old water heater had actually broken so we were living without hot water for a week at that point and did not want to wait more days for them to run a new line. If your heater is still working and you are OK with dropping a few grand extra, you can have unlimited hot water to every faucet forever and also save money in the long run on the gas to heat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m going back through all the Marvel movies, mainly as background noise while working from home and I’m currently on Age of Ultron and I forgot how thick Wanda’s accent was to start with. It’s non-existent in the newer films
They actually mentioned this in WandaVision I think? Like she was losing her grip on sanity and didn't "know" which accent was hers or something?