Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

sweet, free engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly, after years of alcohol and paint fumes that design has somewhat grown on me.

Now with that said, it is basically an abomination wearing the Mustang name.

I had a white (non-cobra, but V8) one of those, and had so many people saying how cool it was.
Little did they know I had it because it cost $400, and the T-tops leaked onto the seatbelt so I never buckled up.

They are awfully similar to the 60's/70's mustangs, the 130 hp V8's certainly didn't make any friends but it was all the same.

The 4 cyl ghias probably are the ones people remember as being lame, because those ones were not only ugly but slow.

I bet if you put a new v8 in them, they would be cool

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Mustang II sucked because it came around at the time of the mandatory addition of catalytic converters to exhausts, and the conversion of HP ratings from gross HP to SAE net horsepower, so people thought the II was a major HP loss from the first generation, when it really was equal or a little better when comparing net HP to net HP. The 5.0 in the Mustang II made a very comparable amount of power to the original '65 Mustang, and the II was 500 lbs lighter than the 71-73 Mustangs. The automatic 4 cylinder Ghia sucked poo poo through a straw and should have never been created, but it is what it is, Ford marketing do what Ford marketing do, just like with the Mach E.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 1, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ah, remember rumors when Ford was going to convert the Mustang to FWD?

Got the Probe out of it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

There is nothing wrong with a Mustang II that Farrah Fawcett couldn't fix.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

God took her, still left the car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

:drat:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think mustang 2 is a neat car

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

lomarf

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'd drive a Mustang II with a 3 rotor in it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'd drive a Mustang II with a 3 rotor in it.

Air in, Apex seals out

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
id rather have a V8 pinto, tbh

the problem with the mustang ii is that every other iteration is cooler. the big malaise mustangs that came before it were cooler, the fox body that came after it were cooler, even the pinto had classic lines that the ii absolutely did not. there just is very little to like about it besides being a steering rack donor.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is solidly wrong thread, but in relation to small car with a 3 rotor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bixk0LcsYVY

God I would kill to have one of these

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The RX3 has such a great looking face, the headlight and grille setup are top tier.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Mustang II refitted with a modern Coyote V8. Not sure if the car is still terrible, but the driver gets a little more frisky than is prudent on public roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP40fdTpov4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Number_6 posted:

Mustang II refitted with a modern Coyote V8. Not sure if the car is still terrible, but the driver gets a little more frisky than is prudent on public roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP40fdTpov4

If that's a gen 3 Coyote, that thing is probably loving terrifying, because that's something like 6lb/hp, a Corvette C5 is 9lb/hp, and a S550 Mustang is around 8.6lb/hp.

With the sloppy suspension that came in most cars of the time, I would be absolutely petrified of hauling on it.

E: 444hp, which works out to 6.3lb/hp, if it's bone stock on the engine, and since he said he got it tuned, it's probably not stock.

E2: from the comments he's dynoed it at 700 RWHP currently (in the video it was roughly 400RWHP), which if he's at the strip thats a lot of go power, I'd want a wheelie bar if I was doing passes in that.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 1, 2024

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The Mustang Ii is a far better looker than almost all the poo poo being sold today.

Rather drive one too even for how wretched it is. Gg the modern car fleet is just depressing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
man thats a lazy transmission for how much motor it's got. those are some soft shifts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Raluek posted:

man thats a lazy transmission for how much motor it's got. those are some soft shifts

It's an early 2000s auto probably so yeah, slushbox.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

If the Mustang II was a Datsun, people would be drooling over it instead of comparing it to late 60's muscled up ponycars.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

If the Mustang II was a Datsun, people would be drooling over it instead of comparing it to late 60's muscled up ponycars.

Why is that?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nah, it was poo poo. They went into this in James May's 'Cars of the People': It was never a good product, couldn't even stand up to any of the Japanese or German imports in both performance, efficiency, or price. Datsun had better products than that.

The only thing the Mustang II did was ensure the badge didn't die during the Oil Crisis. It was a half-assed product created by board room compromise rather than actually developing a solution that customers needed.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 1, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I understand the love for a first car but not enough to do this

https://x.com/v4mpthem/status/1752967955657191846?s=20

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sounds like they love the plate more than the car itself

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No chance he doesn't end up regretting that, what a dumb impulsive decision to make

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No ragrets

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

He did that with a marker for social media clout, right?

right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Sounds like they love the plate more than the car itself

Plate goes with the car usually (this isn't a private plate) so it's even sillier tbh.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

He did that with a marker for social media clout, right?

right?

Hopefully.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I really think that’s marker.

In any case why would you do the plate, the plate isn’t the car. Get the emblem and maybe model or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sadly, after years of alcohol and paint fumes that design has somewhat grown on me.

Now with that said, it is basically an abomination wearing the Mustang name.

Yes, and yes.
The hatchback Cobra II with all the spoilers and stripes, at least.
There's a multitude of vehicles I'd prefer before it, but it's not the worst.

orange juche posted:

Air in, Apex seals out

Nah, usually takes boost for that.

orange juche posted:

This is solidly wrong thread, but in relation to small car with a 3 rotor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bixk0LcsYVY

God I would kill to have one of these

Christ almighty that thing is violent. Took a few tries to get the chassis set up so it didn't immediately try to kill everyone and it still tried to make a right turn on the 1-2 shift.

edit: I'd love a Coyote in my Crown Vic.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 1, 2024

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

(the terrible car poo poo is the Range Rover in a city)

Easily stolen and done so in enormous number in London, insurance companies are now outright refusing to insure them or the pricing is ridiculous like this lady has found out.

'extortionate premiums are destroying lives' is a somewhat hilarious headline though. British media is loving trash.

https://twitter.com/BobFromAccounts/status/1753047179663376468?t=b5TqZ2BylcTpeuJlpVMwlQ&s=19

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Siding with the Insurance Company is the terrible car stuff here, IMHO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, screw his land rover, but gently caress insurance companies.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

One of those 'everyone is terrible' cases

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

No. 6 posted:

One of those 'everyone is terrible' cases

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Mustang Ii is a far better looker than almost all the poo poo being sold today.

The only thing I don't like is the underbite air dam. The rest is decent to good.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ehhhh, i mean, with any, drat near ANY car that is fun to drive for ANY reason, sooner or later when they get cheap enough there's an enthusiast community that develops around them. the loving volvo 240 has, or probably more realistically had, a sizable community of enthusiasts when the two-doors and/or turbo models could be found easily and there were plenty of donor cars around for parts, because while in stock form they didnt have much for power, they were very smartly engineered with decent stock suspension, so they could stand up to year after year of autocrossing or amateur rally and the like. same with the bmw 2002 and e30, the volkswagen beetle, the mk 1 golf, and even the fuckin chevy corvair and the ford pinto. but never happened for the mustang 2. now, this could be down to them having a bunch of desirable parts for enthusiasts of other cars, (someone mentioned the steering rack, iirc minitruckers loved the diff/irs) leading to them getting cannibalized one by one as they aged rather than accumulating and getting cheap to own drive and race. but, idk, it could also be that they blew rear end and were no fun

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

(the terrible car poo poo is the Range Rover in a city)

Easily stolen and done so in enormous number in London, insurance companies are now outright refusing to insure them or the pricing is ridiculous like this lady has found out.

'extortionate premiums are destroying lives' is a somewhat hilarious headline though. British media is loving trash.

https://twitter.com/BobFromAccounts/status/1753047179663376468?t=b5TqZ2BylcTpeuJlpVMwlQ&s=19

London is one of the easiest cities to live in without a car, right?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Failson posted:

London is one of the easiest cities to live in without a car, right?

Maybe less so in the outlying leafy suburban parts where right-wing paper bait Land Rover drivers live, but generally yes, yes it is.

And less so means a fifteen minute walk to the tube rather than ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Maybe less so in the outlying leafy suburban parts where right-wing paper bait Land Rover drivers live, but generally yes, yes it is.

And less so means a fifteen minute walk to the tube rather than ten.

:frogsiren: FIFTEEN MINUTE CITIES :frogsiren: