Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
MDPP: Dominican Republic’s Gregorio Luperón International Airport (Puerto Plata Airport)
MTCA: Haiti’s Antoine-Simon Airport
MKJS: Jamaica’s Sangster International Airport
TTCP: Trinidad & Tobago’s A.N.R. Robinson International Airport (formerly Crown Point International Airport)
MYEH: North Eleuthera Airport
TFFS: Guadeloupe’s Les Saintes Airport
MUCL: Vilo Acuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I flew out of Saba the other day and I am pretty sure it's been updated too, along with a good chunk of the island

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
There may be some updated photogrammetry but those are the handcrafted airports in this update.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m pretty sure SABA was hand-crafted in the initial FS2020 release. I’m guessing the terrain around might have gotten a boost.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Maybe? The island itself does look much better now either way, but I think the airport actually does look better now.

Still a far cry from photo realism, but its certainly better.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Maybe Honeycomb isn't quite dead yet?

https://flyhoneycomb.com/blogs/news/management-change-update

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

ethanol posted:

i wish the vkb gladiator had some kind of set screw or something to keep it attached to the base because i severed the drat button wires for the second time when i tried to lift the joystick and the stick popped out. this time severed right near the grip with barely any room to solder. Doesn't look like you can take apart the grip easily to replace those wires so it might just be buying a new grip soon if they let me do that

I know I'm late to the party on this but figured I'd add my experience to the thread. I had this same issue with my original Gladiator a while back, the stick was constantly getting pulled out of the base and eventually the wires broke. I contacted their support about buying a new wire kit and they immediately sent me a new one for free along with a guide that seemed to acknowledge that this was sort of a known issue, the issue being that it requires a fair bit of force to get the stick to set all the way into the base where the retention screw can reach it. Sure enough, I replace the wire and press extra hard on the stick and get a *click* and now the retention screw actually makes contact with the stick and I haven't had a problem since.

I also have an EVO and that version no longer seems to have this problem so I assume they made some adjustment to either the contact between the stick and base or to the retention mechanism so that it now fits together better.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm optimistic, but likely more because I am historically a pollyanna dumbass

I can't tell who "previous management" is - the financially grifting shithead, or the ones who blew the whistle?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Uhhhh....

quote:

January, we transitioned to new management of the Honeycomb brand. We appreciate there is a great deal of confusion surrounding Honeycomb and we are aware that previous staff members have been communicating with customers via social media and email. We are taking all possible steps to resolve this situation. With this significant management change, we plan on injecting a fresh perspective and expertise into Honeycomb Aeronautical.

That reads to me that the "come to Jesus" posts and emails was from the guy who was ousted.

I still say the gear is good, just make sure you order from a retailer and not Honeycomb directly. Also don't expect any customer support whatsoever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's another post saying that the rudder pedals are shipping in June and will hit retailers in August. I agree that no one should order from the store and only order from retailers so you have an out if things go bad.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that management update reads like it's from the finance bro who fronted the cash for the company has his name on all the legal and is pretty easily forcing the other guy (designer, maybe CTO?) out. But who is full of poo poo is hard to say from these sources. unless i'm reading it wrong and they're BOTH gone. I wouldn't trust that company to deliver that stuff if were me

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
idk that update reads like the finance guy and maybe the designer guy got bought out by some well-capitalized company. I'm going to wager that product quality is likely to dip once this new tranche of products hits the shelves but who knows

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Honeycomb is like a trainwreck you can't turn away from

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They make good products at least :( they just seem to be very poorly managed.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I just came to post it. Yeush.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm sort of leaning towards believing Nicki. Unless Nicki totally went nuts, I don't see how he could have done anything to cause the issues that Honeycomb has had. He says that he controls the design of the stuff, and that Mike controls the business side. The design part has been fine and the business part is hosed. Then we have Mike saying he's totally in control of the business and everything is fine even though it clearly isn't. I'm envisioning a bunch of different scenarios of what went down, but I guess we won't know until all the details come out, if they ever do. I don't see how this ends favorably without Nicki being in control of the company through whatever means. If Nicki is totally out then that means we have Mike running the company and selling the products, but that probably means that the company stagnates and doesn't bring out anything new.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

"Money people" are inherently untrustworthy and the official statement reads like VC huckster bullshit. I believe Nicki fully at this point.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Even if it's a situation where both sides are in the wrong somehow, I'm siding with the product design guy. Because if they boot him out, what of value will they even have left? His product designs are the only reason anyone cares about Honeycomb in the first place.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im very much inclined to believe nicki and not the vague finance bro who seems to have written that press release falsely indicating new management even though he clearly was already upper management and it's still him

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah a vague post written in third person with lazy typos is almost always bullshit. It's really convenient that he says it's all good and you can still order products from them even though they are sold out at actual retailers. It's feeling like a quick damage control thing to get as many more orders in as possible before shutting down when they run out of money.

I hope Nicki is able to get some better backers and is able to make his products somewhere else if he's not able to get back control of Honeycomb.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://old.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/1amxowz/psa_windows_mixed_reality_wmr_headsets_no_longer/

Build 26052 update notes: posted:

Plugging in to use a Windows Mixed Reality headset will not work starting with this build. Windows Mixed Reality is no longer available to users as Windows Mixed Reality has been announced as deprecated. This includes the Mixed Reality Portal app, and Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and Steam VR Beta. Existing Windows Mixed Reality devices will continue to work with Steam through November 2026, if users remain on their current released version of Windows 11 (version 23H2) and do not upgrade to this year’s annual feature update for Windows 11 (version 24H2). This deprecation does not impact HoloLens.

lol and also lmao

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Microsoft. My wmr headset has sat in it's case for awhile but there's no reason to nerf it.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Jesus I just bought my G2 last year and have been using it a lot in the past week. Thanks, MS

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So when does this actually cause problems for G2 users? Only if you update or?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao, will we still be able to use SteamVR with the Reverb G2 and have it work? I'm sad about my G2 becoming a paperweight. Its still the best VR headset for sims.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

That Works posted:

So when does this actually cause problems for G2 users? Only if you update or?

I said come in! posted:

lmao, will we still be able to use SteamVR with the Reverb G2 and have it work? I'm sad about my G2 becoming a paperweight. Its still the best VR headset for sims.

My understanding is you have to turn off feature updates (only security updates) on windows 11 some time before this fall, or it'll stop working. Win10 is fine, so far. Then at the end of 2025 it'll stop working for real.

I do hope somebody makes an alternative software before then.

The surprise was that this falls feature update will break it, from earlier communications it was assumed we would be fine until 25/26.

E: steam/not steam doesn't matter, steamvr connects to wmr with a separate software that also gets deprecated. The reason they specify you can still use steamvr is that the wmr software portal stops working, but I honestly don't know anyone that uses that.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 11, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Xakura posted:

My understanding is you have to turn off feature updates (only security updates) on windows 11 some time before this fall, or it'll stop working. Win10 is fine, so far. Then at the end of 2025 it'll stop working for real.

I do hope somebody makes an alternative software before then.

The surprise was that this falls feature update will break it, from earlier communications it was assumed we would be fine until 25/26.

Ugh that really sucks. My hope was that at the very least SteamVR would still be able to be used.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why do they need to break it? Couldn't they just leave the software there and stop updating it, like thousands of other legacy Windows components?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Why do they need to break it? Couldn't they just leave the software there and stop updating it, like thousands of other legacy Windows components?

Yeah this is very confusing to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What would even be a good alternative VR headset at this point? The Meta Quest 3 can't do native PC stuff with a USB-C cable, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What would even be a good alternative VR headset at this point? The Meta Quest 3 can't do native PC stuff with a USB-C cable, right?

I think people are getting decent results with the quest 3. I use the Valve Index and it works great. I think there are also some standalone headsets out there as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Problem I have with the quest is the battery drains while plugged into the PC which is bullshit. But I also don't wanna spend 1000 on a vive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeeeeeeah, VR might just be dead for me. I love my G2 and really don't want to downgrade. I also have PSVR2 but that doesn't show any real signs of making progress coming to PC.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well this is not the end of the road right now, not for 9 months. Even more so, I do think we'll get some solution here. I love my G2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Normally, I would say that someone would just write custom drivers to make the headsets work in SteamVR again, but this is Microsoft. They somehow found a way to make the game pass app not work at all if you aren't on the latest windows update.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This also calls into question whether FS2024 will have VR support at all. If you will only be able to use VR in the Steam version, then would Asobo/Microsoft bother supporting it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why do you think only the steam version could have VR? I use VR in DCS and Star Wars Squadrons and I just start SteamVR first, then launch the games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am guessing FS24 will have no VR option, but we'll see.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Why do you think only the steam version could have VR? I use VR in DCS and Star Wars Squadrons and I just start SteamVR first, then launch the games.

I didn't realize you can use SteamVR with non-Steam games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I said come in! posted:

Coming from Index I'm loving my Q3. Wireless pc looks better in it without my glasses on than wired did with them on in Index. Super easy to use with a cable (get one with power injection and hook it to charger and stays charged too) but also easy to run wireless pcvr.. you use a wifi6 or 6e router through Virtual Desktop and you can get better resolution than through usb. A short cord to a battery bank in your pocket and you can wirelessly pcvr for hours.

I never had a problem with tethers but now that I'm untethered there's no going back.