Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Call me when he descends into Armie Hammer style cannibalism

Whatever happened to that wacky cannibal anyway? He should call up Dedato and get a role in his next movie :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

joylessdivision posted:

Whatever happened to that wacky cannibal anyway? He should call up Dedato and get a role in his next movie :v:

Obviously he's got that generational family wealth, but also apparently they're like royalty on the Cayman Islands, so he can just chill there palling around with rich weirdos who probably like that he's a cannibal. I reckon he gets into Bohemian Grove and Little St James style poo poo

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mr Hootington posted:

Hope Jake gets the help he reportedly needs.

I can fix him :allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cacator posted:

I can fix him :allears:
Little snip snip might curb those aggressive tendencies….oh wait that’s not what we’re talking about?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Blood Debts ending caught me off guard, lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Please don’t put the MCU into the same bucket as the Transformers trash

I have only seen the first movie and I regret even doing that

The MCU is soulless, competent, assembly line content. It's fine. It's never great, it's never bad.

The Transformers are Bay's signature misanthropy and cynicism dressed up as blockbusters, all filtered through his completely insane, perptually over the top style. They are unique films that, legit, no one else could have made. They shouldn't be compared, but not for the reasons you think

You can see Transformers films in a more approachable, MCU style with the recent Rise of the Beasts and goddamn it is so incredibly dull.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I just want a movie based on this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcfDLlL_esY

When was suicide squad released in relation to this?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Year prior.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

All of Josh Duhamel's stuff would have been filmed June/July 2016, before Suicide Squad was released. So the scene would probably have to have been written before that (though it's very editing heavy, so maybe it was cobbled together after the fact).

The writers room for the movie was set up during the summer of 2015 though, so the trailer would have been floating around after that year's Comic Con. It's absolutely possible that one of them saw it, threw out "Decepticon Suicide Squad" as an idea, and it ended up in the movie along with all the other stuff Bay would have rather been doing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gonna be honest i forgot about ambuLAnce. that movie was fantastic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Snowman_McK posted:

The MCU is soulless, competent, assembly line content. It's fine. It's never great, it's never bad.

It's often bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mycot posted:

Normally I don't care about this sort of stuff but there's a robot TRex in one of them and they did not give a single gently caress on whether it's TRex sized compared to the other giant robots or the humans, which is just insanely noticeable.

Funny thing is this is also the case in pretty much every other corner of the franchise, with some relatively rare exceptions. Both with Grimlock in particular and scale fuckery in general.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I mean the original version of the main bad guy transformed from a normal sized robot to a hand gun for a normal sized robot.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The best transformers movie is age of extinction provided you have only edited it down to whenever stanley tucci is on screen. Then it's a goddamn masterpiece.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJbAJcVCGc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's often bad

I wouldn't say often. Iron Man 2 was too dull to be really bad. The Marvels is apparently quite enjoyable though truncuated. I haven't seen any that I'd actually call bad. I've see bits and pieces of Age of Ultron, for some reason never got around to watching the whole thing. It seemed quite bad. On the whole, they're usually baseline "fine"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

mycot posted:

Normally I don't care about this sort of stuff but there's a robot TRex in one of them and they did not give a single gently caress on whether it's TRex sized compared to the other giant robots or the humans, which is just insanely noticeable.

This is pretty normal for large-scale characters. On the 2014 Godzilla we had the asset for the character built at 3 different sizes, and used whichever one worked best for each shot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I wouldn't say often. Iron Man 2 was too dull to be really bad. The Marvels is apparently quite enjoyable though truncuated. I haven't seen any that I'd actually call bad. I've see bits and pieces of Age of Ultron, for some reason never got around to watching the whole thing. It seemed quite bad. On the whole, they're usually baseline "fine"

I guess, for me, something being soulless is the same as it being bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The famous example is the OG King Kong- on the island he was scaled at 18 feet, but in New York he’s 24 feet because they were worried he’d be dwarfed by the buildings.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Marvel was baseline fine with some legit good movies until Endgame, and then its gone downhill after that

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The Transformers are Bay's signature misanthropy and cynicism dressed up as blockbusters, all filtered through his completely insane, perptually over the top style. They are unique films that, legit, no one else could have made. They shouldn't be compared, but not for the reasons you think

You can see Transformers films in a more approachable, MCU style with the recent Rise of the Beasts and goddamn it is so incredibly dull.

Bumblebee was good though. Rise of the Beasts was watchable but so emotionally flat, like a lot of the recent MCU stuff. I remember when the MCU could make me feel things, back in 2019... (well, and on Disney+ that one time with Wandavision).

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Those newer movies are an interesting comparison.

Bumblebee was one of the ideas proposed in the Transformers 5 writers room, with the same writer being able to carry the screenplay through to the end. It was also being developed at the same time as Transformers 5 (which had a massively higher budget ) so was able to fly under the radar and not get too much unwanted executive pressure. The director also had nearly 20 years of experience as a stop-motion animator and director, and was able to make a fairly graceful jump to live action with a movie that had a lot of VFX, but wasn't overwhelming since it was primarily limited to 3 characters.

Rise of the Beasts on the other hand was cobbled together from two unrelated script concepts (one a Bumblebee Sequel and the other a standalone Beast Wars movie), helmed by a director who was jumping straight from Creed II to a VFX-heavy tentpole movie, and was under the influence of a really heavy-handed producer who seemed to be on a totally different creative wavelength than the other creatives involved (he insisted the movie was an Origin Story for the 2007 movie version of Optimus Prime, while the director was openly talking about how they were doing their own thing and not worrying about connecting to Bay's films).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t give a single gently caress about any iteration of Transformers, but I remember Bumblebee being a pretty solid and fun popcorn flick.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t give a single gently caress about any iteration of Transformers, but I remember Bumblebee being a pretty solid and fun popcorn flick.

I was genuinely taken aback at how decent it was.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Robot Style posted:

This is pretty normal for large-scale characters. On the 2014 Godzilla we had the asset for the character built at 3 different sizes, and used whichever one worked best for each shot.

This sounds super interesting, because the size 'felt' consistent to me: about a hundred meters, give or take. Out of curiosity, what sizes did you end up going for? And are there any scenes where the size difference stands out in particular, in your opinion?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Style posted:

That's such a good metaphor, I really like that even in a situation where you can scale everything exactly correctly, you still have to use camera tricks because a film is not a simulation of real events.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

A Worrying Warlock posted:

This sounds super interesting, because the size 'felt' consistent to me: about a hundred meters, give or take. Out of curiosity, what sizes did you end up going for? And are there any scenes where the size difference stands out in particular, in your opinion?

Not the OP, but the scene where the first shoot the flares at him, from the rooftops in Hawaii and it only lights up his thighs made him feel massive compared to other moments in the film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think 2014 Godzilla has just gotten better to me over the years, particularly as Monsterverse has moved into WWE-superheroes-but-with-kaiju antics (which I still enjoy, but is much less interesting than the dread and majesty that 2014 Godzilla tries to traffic in).

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Rise of the Beasts on the other hand was cobbled together from two unrelated script concepts (one a Bumblebee Sequel and the other a standalone Beast Wars movie), helmed by a director who was jumping straight from Creed II to a VFX-heavy tentpole movie, and was under the influence of a really heavy-handed producer who seemed to be on a totally different creative wavelength than the other creatives involved (he insisted the movie was an Origin Story for the 2007 movie version of Optimus Prime, while the director was openly talking about how they were doing their own thing and not worrying about connecting to Bay's films).

Ah thats interesting. Rise of the Beasts was a clusterfuck of a movie to make. I never want to ever be on a transformers movie again after that experience.

I'm really entertained by how terrible the reviews of Argylle are. I knew the vfx wasn't going to be great, it was a very backburner and low resourced project because every vfx studio in 2022 had bigger fish to fry. But I didn't expect the story to also be such a complete clusterfuck letdown.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ccs posted:

I'm really entertained by how terrible the reviews of Argylle are. I knew the vfx wasn't going to be great, it was a very backburner and low resourced project because every vfx studio in 2022 had bigger fish to fry. But I didn't expect the story to also be such a complete clusterfuck letdown.

It’s funny that a lot of the reactions to the Argylle trailer were people trying to figure out if there was some kind of twist to it, when the original press release for the movie years ago outright spoil the big twist. Which makes me wonder if the movie was rewritten or edited heavily or something so the twist originally was much earlier and not as big a “big reveal.”

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Matthew Vaughn is a director I've never gelled with, and I hate the idea that he's extreme or however they try to sell him when really he's just adolescent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think 2014 Godzilla has just gotten better to me over the years, particularly as Monsterverse has moved into WWE-superheroes-but-with-kaiju antics (which I still enjoy, but is much less interesting than the dread and majesty that 2014 Godzilla tries to traffic in).

They put the God back in Godzilla.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Matthew Vaughn is a director I've never gelled with, and I hate the idea that he's extreme or however they try to sell him when really he's just adolescent.

One review did mention that Argylle is less into "edgelord button-pushing" than his previous films. But then substitutes that with totally nonsense twists and lots of cameos by big name stars that are then hardly in the movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

They eventually removed it from the trailer but at one point the trailer had a tagline that said "From the twisted mind of Matthew Vaughn."

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Beetlejuice 2 is officially called Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and releasing September 6th

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Okay, that's a cute title

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also a real big broadcast that they're planning a third

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
A third one continuing the naming convention of the first two would be super irresponsible. Almost as bad as selling Jumanji games at Target.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Also a real big broadcast that they're planning a third

Yeah, that was my first thought. But if they do, honestly ignoring how good the sequels may be, it would make the pretty much automatically the best titled movie trilogy.

I'm completely fine with this.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Beetlejuice 2 is officially called Beetlejuice Beetlejuice and releasing September 6th

is he going hawaiian at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Afraid not. From what we've heard, it sounds like they're trying to just redo the first movie with Lydia in the lead. Goes Hawaiian would have been a terrible movie, but at least it would have been an interesting terrible movie that was uniquely terrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYCccAp324

(great channel for those interested in the subject of unmade movies)

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 1, 2024