Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Seems like the subtext the real reason is just him flat out projecting his self-loathing onto another version of himself.

~ Also: who is your least favorite character and why is it Dermott?

This wasn't subtext, it was text.

If you didn't know a Dermott growing up, it was you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

theflyingexecutive posted:

This wasn't subtext, it was text.

If you didn't know a Dermott growing up, it was you.

I knew a Dermott or two growing up. That's why I dislike Dermott so much.
Was it text? When was it text? I'm not doubting I just don't remember.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Dermott's gonna be alright in the end, he's not a bad kid

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can see where Dermott has redeeming features (he is a good friend/brother to Hank all things considered).

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Barry Foster posted:

Or he's going to come across someone who doesn't follow the Equally Matched Aggression rules like Brock (yeah, he phased it differently and it was before the EMA actually got mentioned, but retroactive canon is how the writers build on things) and the problem will sort itself out.

I'm saying that someone will just beat the absolute poo poo out of him and there'll be nothing he can do about it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Dermot is absolutely an rear end in a top hat but I like his character because of how real it is. Everybody knew a Dermott, and he acted exactly like that. Dermott is a testament to how good their writing is.

I'm actually struggling to come up with a character I don't like. I want to say St. Cloud, but once again he is written so well you know someone like that exists and they've met him.

Maybe Trianna? She doesn't have much of a purpose beyond "Dean's first crush" and while she is also someone people have met in real life, she just doesn't have much to do.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

LashLightning posted:

I'm saying that someone will just beat the absolute poo poo out of him and there'll be nothing he can do about it.

Dean did that.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

~ Also: who is your least favorite character and why is it Dermott? Gods I hate him. Just the absolute wrong combination of self-aggrandizing chuuni and vaguely aggressive not quite a bully but mostly because he's bad at being a bully type. He's also the least self-aware character in the series outside of Jonas.

Dermott is the very definition of "love to hate" for me, stupid and cruel but ultimately harmless. If he had any further impact on the show beyond getting his rear end kicked by Dean I'd probably hate him more.

Sgt. Hatred, on the other hand...

I've never really liked Hatred as part of the cast. He worked better as a recurring background joke than a main character. I respect that they made a sincere effort to make him more than a running gag, but what they made out of him was never to my taste. All the simpering neediness, the constant callbacks to his sexual dysfunctions, the fact that he never really developed any kind of chemistry with the Venture family — he never brought anything good to the table. He worked better as a foil to the Monarch and a window into the world of professional super-villainy than a primary character. He was the Ventures' try-hard stepmom, and that's a tough character to get behind.

EDIT: VVV That goes to my point — everything about Sgt. Hatred was off-putting to me. Just a big pile of ick.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2024

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hatred had a great rack though

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Maybe Trianna? She doesn't have much of a purpose beyond "Dean's first crush" and while she is also someone people have met in real life, she just doesn't have much to do.

Trianna should have bonded with Dr. Venture over Orpheus and Dean embarrassing them. And probably Father-induced trauma.

I dunno if I dislike them but using Ladyhawk and Lyndon Bee as members of the Revenge society felt weird. Like they'd thought up a funny reference joke and had been waiting for a chance to use it so they just stuck it in where they had room.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Barry Foster posted:

This, he’s just kind of an immature kid trying to be what he thinks is cool.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

He's also probably the only person walking around with Venture DNA that doesn't need a ton of therapy.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

He's also probably the only person walking around with Venture DNA that doesn't need a ton of therapy.

That will depend a great deal on whether Dermott ever finds out what's going on with his "mom" and "sister," I suspect.

I maintain that Hank, despite his issues with dissociative identity disorder, stands the best chance of being the most well-adjusted Venture. Case in point, after he asks the Alchemist what his dick looks like because he assumes all gay men are transgender:

JEFFERSON: Aren't you just a little ashamed of your ignorance?
HANK: Yeah, constantly!

Hank knows he's a freak of nature, he knows he's lived the furthest thing from a normal life, he knows there's a lot more about the world than he's experienced. He's okay with that, and he makes an honest effort to grow as a person without throwing away who he is. Contrast that with Dean, whose identity crisis led him either to reject everything about his life or allow his dad to remold him entirely in his image.

Hank is just Hank, and he's always going to be Hank no matter what happens to him. I say Hank and Sheila are the only two characters on the show who have their poo poo figured out in a healthy way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Monarch downplayed the role that his ex dating Rusty played into his hatred of Rusty (even if in reality she didn't). Then when pressed he couldn't give a solid answer as to why he actually hates Rusty so much. Seems like the subtext the real reason is just him flat out projecting his self-loathing onto another version of himself. Even if Monarch didn't know about their connection he likely felt some manner of similarity on an instinctual level. Monarch did say he hates himself more than most villains hate their arches.

It's the monkey DNA. Remember, RICO was a real dick to Dean for no particular reason. Because he's a half-monkey clone of him.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I do think they took Jonas being a bastard a little too far, to the point where you start wondering how the Venture name ever became respected in the first place. Suspension of disbelief is kind of a silly concept in a universe like VB’s, but if Jonas was a bad leader, a fraud of a scientist, and an amoral, sociopathic killing machine, constantly engaging in wanton murder, torture, and sexual deviancy everywhere he went, it’s hard to understand why Team Venture even existed as it did, and how Rusty got a little caring core deep down under all the layers of crud.

I mean, it’s all reverse engineered satire from Benton Quest dragging his son into dangerous situations, so you gotta take it with a grain of salt. I just think it was much more relatable when Jonas had both good and very bad qualities, which got swept under the rug because of his power. The morphic trilogy pushed it a little too far I think; the movie maybe tried to walk that back a little with the Monarch birth retcon (?) and watch sentiment, but I’d be interested how it all would have been presented in a full season.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I'll concede that. Hank's problem has always been his detachment from reality, and that's gotten much better as time goes on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

feetnotes posted:

I do think they took Jonas being a bastard a little too far, to the point where you start wondering how the Venture name ever became respected in the first place. Suspension of disbelief is kind of a silly concept in a universe like VB’s, but if Jonas was a bad leader, a fraud of a scientist, and an amoral, sociopathic killing machine, constantly engaging in wanton murder, torture, and sexual deviancy everywhere he went, it’s hard to understand why Team Venture even existed as it did, and how Rusty got a little caring core deep down under all the layers of crud.

No notes.

I can think of no real world parallels at all. Zero. Nope, certainly can't.

Now excuse me while I take a stainless steel tank to the hospital to have a chip implanted in my head.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
The more important they became to the episode-to-episode plots, the less and less I liked the Moppets. I loved the "with a knife" bit, and it still makes me laugh. But then they started getting super-creepy with Dr. Mrs., and everything from there just got worse. I was so happy when they were gone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like Dermott, he's a great character

I'll second that I don't like Sgt Hatred, I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking with that character. Just mistake after mistake after mistake and then finally they relegated him to the front desk where we don't have to see him very often, hallelujah

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Sometimes I wonder what happened to my Dermotts, two brothers whose house I'd go over to to play videogames. The older guy was just a little too into metal but the younger one would actually light fires and poo poo.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
80% of Dermotts end up working for the Post Office.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dermot is a great character if you knew one in your life.

Moppets are easily the characters I dislike the most. When used well they have some great scenes they probably would have been better as another villains henchmen rather than Monarch's. They just don't fit most of the time and make scenes feel uncomfortable most of the time.

I wouldn't cut them though you cannot cut "What did we do? What did you do?
and "Your a bum Rock!"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I knew a number of dermotts growing up. It's kind of shocking that this type of person is so rarely depicted in media

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Last time I heard, my Dermott was working at a sex store.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like all of the characters equally :)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I knew a number of dermotts growing up. It's kind of shocking that this type of person is so rarely depicted in media

In The Office (UK version) there's a guy who's basically Dermott who shows up once or twice, I think he's an IT guy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

In The Office (UK version) there's a guy who's basically Dermott who shows up once or twice, I think he's an IT guy.

The UK has Dermotts, too???

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mr. Lobe posted:

Oh yeah, 100%

I grew up with one

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'd bet it's a global phenomenon

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The Dermott I knew joined the military, went AWOL, managed to find a JAG lawyer that talked the Army into a basic discharge instead of a dishonorable discharge, and the last I heard he was saying goodbye to his friends and family before he turned himself into the cops for killing someone in a drunk driving accident that he fled the scene of.

That was many years ago and I'm assuming he is still in prison.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
Hoping to do a rewatch with my partner - who'll be seeing it for the first time.

Which episode would you recommend starting with? I remember some of the first few being... of their time, but I don't know if they're required for setting everything up?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Doubtful Guest posted:

Hoping to do a rewatch with my partner - who'll be seeing it for the first time.

Which episode would you recommend starting with? I remember some of the first few being... of their time, but I don't know if they're required for setting everything up?

Tag sale ! Skip the pilot (turtle bay) until like after PROM or something.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I didn't have a Dermott.

I grew up in the country. I knew like six Dermotts.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Doubtful Guest posted:

I recommend Tag Sale just to get a flavor of the world and a good preview of a lot of the minor characters you'll run into later in the series. Then going Sargasso onward. Maybe show them the Speedy scenes from the first non-pilot episode just to get the Speedy jokes later on. :v:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think starting one episode earlier with "Are you there, God? It's Me, Dean" would be a good idea. It is a great introduction to the bureaucracy of the GCI, as well as Rusty's attitude toward supervillainy in general.

Also, you get the discussion about the smurfs. That's a great way to get to know Henchman 21 and Henchman 24.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Going to counter argue this: Jonas Venture probably has illegitimate kids everywhere.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Doubtful Guest posted:

Tag Sale is definitely one of the best to start with. You really get a sample platter of what most of the principle characters are about.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I have no problem believing Jonas’ deal: history is littered with monsters who did a few good things and a lot of rank evil poo poo and squeaked by by dint of good PR and a culture that didn’t give a drat. And are remembered fondly by a culture largely unwilling to critically examine its heroes and myths.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

pixaal posted:

Dermot is a great character if you knew one in your life.

Moppets are easily the characters I dislike the most. When used well they have some great scenes they probably would have been better as another villains henchmen rather than Monarch's. They just don't fit most of the time and make scenes feel uncomfortable most of the time.

I wouldn't cut them though you cannot cut "What did we do? What did you do?
and "Your a bum Rock!"

The Moppets are the silver medal for me. I was so happy when they got killed in the season 5 finale. Creepy little weirdos who contributed nothing beyond being creepy little weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

feetnotes posted:

Strong disagree, if there's one thing we've learned from actual history it's that lots of "great men" were bad leaders, frauds, and amoral sociopathic killing machines constantly engaging in etc. etc. etc. Cluster B narcissists can be highly charismatic and perfectly capable of assembling a personality cult out of an A-team of sociopathic fucksticks, and we've seen plenty of evidence of the Action Man being a sadistic little poo poo back in the day. ("Not today, Rusty.") You could easily imagine Jonas as a 50s-60s equivalent to today's Epstein, Theranos, Uber and Palantir.

Rusty has a little caring core because psychologically he's still a little boy who loves and wants to be loved. Just look at how he regresses whenever the boys die. ("Everybody's freeeeeeeeee to feel good"). Jonas probably killed that part of himself early on, learned quickly to love and crave power and adulation, and never learned to chase the Hot Dolphin.