Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hate games where you just walk down a straight line with every little detail and "secret" is just handed to you or pointed out by an obnoxious sidekick screaming your ear. At that point, why is this even an interactive medium? What am I doing here? Just make a movie.

Getting to the end of a game and hearing that my friend encountered a bunch of different stuff getting to the same place rules. I love the feeling of knowing there's something new waiting if/when I come back to a game, especially now that they're getting more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I will say though that the looting mechanics of BG3 do get tedious, especially with a controller, because your character's loot range is point blank so they have to pathfind and climb and play tag with the rest of the party in order to get to each and every object.

Not really sure of a way around that because there are reasons why things to loot do need to be out of reach sometimes but it's annoying nonetheless.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FWIW you will almost never find a worthwhile item from a pile of crates in BG3. The good stuff out in the world is found in chests and occasionally the random skeleton.

Your enjoyment of the game will increase immensely if you let go of the idea that you have to experience absolutely everything. I've played through the game like 5 times and still find events and dialogue I've never seen before, that's a good thing not a bad one.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Divinity: Original Sin has a cool search mechanic where you can hold down (I think) the loot button and it'll create a search radius that will automatically select every searchable object within range.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Pookah posted:

Divinity: Original Sin has a cool search mechanic where you can hold down (I think) the loot button and it'll create a search radius that will automatically select every searchable object within range.

BG3 has this exact same function.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Crowetron posted:

Well I learned something today

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

CJacobs posted:

If you're into linear adventures it's one of the better ones out there along the lines of something like Dead Space in my opinion. Everything is put right in your path, and you're pointed toward the goal, and simply allowed to miss it and continue if you don't mind exploring. It's pure flow. The issue imo is RE Village portends to be open world village but it is the exact opposite. If you like to explore whole and completed environments, it is super not the game for you because it doesn't have that.

As Max Payne put it, it's a linear sequence of scares.

edit: The Iron Insignia Key, which opens barred gates around the village, is the example I feel. You are allowed to explore the village and come across all these gates. The key is found within Castle Dimitrescu after you're locked in. When you return to the village later, all of the insignia gates are immediately accessible. But if you missed the key, there's no way to go back into the castle and get it. It's just oddly robotic design.

I kind of remember feeling this way about metroid dread. I liked the game, but I felt like it was leading me around by the nose. Looking at the map made me feel like I could explore, except when I actually tried to backtrack the game wouldn't let me for some reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

FWIW you will almost never find a worthwhile item from a pile of crates in BG3. The good stuff out in the world is found in chests and occasionally the random skeleton.

Normally yeah though it's funny that just last night I did the search area command and it found me a decent piece of equipment that was snuggled in between some boxes I would never have spotted.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gaius Marius posted:

The Map in REVillage is awful. The village itself mostly. Areas that have passages between aren't marked, blocked areas aren't marked, areas that look like they connect frequently don't. It makes navigating a nightmare. No joke I'd rate the game a star higher if they had made the design of the village more open and the map less poo poo.

I liked Village a lot but by god this is a valid complaint.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crowetron posted:

I hate games where you just walk down a straight line with every little detail and "secret" is just handed to you or pointed out by an obnoxious sidekick screaming your ear. At that point, why is this even an interactive medium? What am I doing here? Just make a movie.

Getting to the end of a game and hearing that my friend encountered a bunch of different stuff getting to the same place rules. I love the feeling of knowing there's something new waiting if/when I come back to a game, especially now that they're getting more expensive.

gotta say there's a hugely different experience depending on whether you got those 4 copper pieces and a button

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Is it only available when playing on pad? I don't remember it being an option on M+KB.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tunicate posted:

gotta say there's a hugely different experience depending on whether you got those 4 copper pieces and a button

I was responding to the feeling of needing to swap party members to see every possible outcome to every possible side quest at once.

Suleman posted:

Is it only available when playing on pad? I don't remember it being an option on M+KB.

Yeah, it's a controller function, same as in D:OS2

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DontMockMySmock posted:

(4) Lastly, an extremely petty complaint: there is an item called a "silver glass", the icon clearly being that of an opaque metal cup. Larian, if a cup is made out of silver, it's not a glass, is it!? Bothers me every time I see one.

Silver glass is a thing. Its also known as mercury glass. Its glass with silver/silvering solution in the middle, which is why it is opaque and metallic while still being glass. Be bothered no more!

Finishing up Avatar Frontiers. Its a gorgeous game, if simple and formulaic. What's dragging it down is that it can't seem to pin down its message. I just completed a quest chain after a horrific attack in which some NPCs died or nearly so. You secure medical attention for the injured, help complete a Na'vi grief ceremony, help the humans build a memorial, and give a eulogy for the dead. Its very sad, and sweet. The whole thing decries violence - the violence between na'vi, violence between humans and na'vi, and the violence the RDA is wreaking on Pandora. It emphasizes the vast, vast loss of lives.

The reward for completing the quest chain is an assault rifle.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Crowetron posted:

I was responding to the feeling of needing to swap party members to see every possible outcome to every possible side quest at once.

I'm not doing that. I'm not reloading and retrying scenes with different characters - just trying to naturally swap to characters as they seem to become relevant to various plotlines. It just feels natural to, for example, bring Lae'zel to interactions with other githyanki, or bring Wyll to interactions with other Baldurian nobles. But the game makes doing that kind of thing loving tedious.

Dienes posted:

Silver glass is a thing. Its also known as mercury glass. Its glass with silver/silvering solution in the middle, which is why it is opaque and metallic while still being glass. Be bothered no more!

The game really doesn't seem to be depicting what's described and pictured in that wikipedia article. And besides, that's "silvered glass", not "silver glass." The "silver glass" from BG3 is a thing you generally find sitting next to a "silver plate" and a "silver knife", is pretty clearly supposed to be made of solid silver, and it has flavor text describing it as a "silver cup" made of "metal."

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

bossy lady posted:

I kind of remember feeling this way about metroid dread. I liked the game, but I felt like it was leading me around by the nose. Looking at the map made me feel like I could explore, except when I actually tried to backtrack the game wouldn't let me for some reason.

Yeah this really bothered me about Dread. Also the new abilities came thick and fast but most were used once or twice to open a special door and then never again - it made most of them just feel like keys. It was a fun 2d action game but a poor metroidvania

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DontMockMySmock posted:

The game really doesn't seem to be depicting what's described and pictured in that wikipedia article. And besides, that's "silvered glass", not "silver glass." The "silver glass" from BG3 is a thing you generally find sitting next to a "silver plate" and a "silver knife", is pretty clearly supposed to be made of solid silver, and it has flavor text describing it as a "silver cup" made of "metal."

I was going to post and agree with Dienes, but after reading your post I think you're closer. You're right, the less confusing term would be "Silver Cup", or "Silver Goblet". But instead, they seem to have gone with "Silver drinking Glass"

Poorly worded, and arguably technically correct, but confusing.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

this isn't a peeve within the game itself but youtube recommends me a ton of cyberpunk 2077 related videos and i swear to god the thumbnail for all of them is designed to make it seem like "oh the latest patch has panam's titties out"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Every time you use Lara's Tomb Raider Vision or whatever, she'll utter the same loving thing. "I need to get on top of that mast!" I know that, Lara, I'm trying to figure out how! Maybe over here there is something "I need to get on top of that mast!" God dammit Lara

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

credburn posted:

Every time you use Lara's Tomb Raider Vision or whatever, she'll utter the same loving thing. "I need to get on top of that mast!" I know that, Lara, I'm trying to figure out how! Maybe over here there is something "I need to get on top of that mast!" God dammit Lara

go easy on her she hit her head pretty hard in that plane crash

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

very risky blowjob posted:

this isn't a peeve within the game itself but youtube recommends me a ton of cyberpunk 2077 related videos and i swear to god the thumbnail for all of them is designed to make it seem like "oh the latest patch has panam's titties out"

These jerks often use risque mods to attract clicks. Especially those that just read patch notes with unrelated footage. I really detest say looking up an S Rank walkthrough of RE4 and the creep has Ashley wearing some bondage getup.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

credburn posted:

Yeah I had to toggle the "helpful" hints a few times. Yes I know I need to raise the water to continue, no I haven't figured it out 100% yet but STFU and let me use the Batman vision button to find something to loot (or interact with) in peace :suicide:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I was gonna say that you find a lot of scrolls in crates, but then I realized that I almost never use the scrolls. I don't wanna sell them because I think I'll need them eventually but they almost never seem that useful in combat. So now I have about 4 rows of scrolls in my inventory.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

grittyreboot posted:

I was gonna say that you find a lot of scrolls in crates, but then I realized that I almost never use the scrolls. I don't wanna sell them because I think I'll need them eventually but they almost never seem that useful in combat. So now I have about 4 rows of scrolls in my inventory.

Do scrolls function like single-use spells?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Yeah, but a lot of them aren't super helpful in combat

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I never use scrolls in RPGs. My magic users already got spells, and my non-magic users got their own tricks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nearly my whole first playthrough of Dark Souls contained no magic usage. I figured they would be gone forever after using up the number of casts on the scroll. Then eventually I bought one and then rested at a bonfire. :cripes: Not even a paltry 'scrolls refresh at bonfires' in the item description???

What are other monumentally bad bits of UI design in games? Off the top of my head I can think of Halo telling you in text form to take cover when your shields are out. I don't have time to read that, my shields are out!!

edit: they even know it's annoying because it's disabled on Heroic and Legendary

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Everytime the 'sad' music starts up during a substory in Yakuza games, though lately this is specifically Infinite Wealth, I skip through the text as fast as possible. It's always some heavy handed stuff that drags whatever scene it is in to a screeching halt.

"WOAH it's me the rockin' bear! Just rocking away while wearing a silly hat! BODACIOUS!"
*sad music starts*
"You see things were never the same since my wife died..."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

I never use scrolls in RPGs. My magic users already got spells, and my non-magic users got their own tricks.

What about in the RPGs where your magic users can copy the scrolls into their books?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dienes posted:

Finishing up Avatar Frontiers. Its a gorgeous game, if simple and formulaic. What's dragging it down is that it can't seem to pin down its message. I just completed a quest chain after a horrific attack in which some NPCs died or nearly so. You secure medical attention for the injured, help complete a Na'vi grief ceremony, help the humans build a memorial, and give a eulogy for the dead. Its very sad, and sweet. The whole thing decries violence - the violence between na'vi, violence between humans and na'vi, and the violence the RDA is wreaking on Pandora. It emphasizes the vast, vast loss of lives.

The reward for completing the quest chain is an assault rifle.

I came away with the overall message that every human motherfucker on Pandora needs to die.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CJacobs posted:

What are other monumentally bad bits of UI design in games? Off the top of my head I can think of Halo telling you in text form to take cover when your shields are out. I don't have time to read that, my shields are out!!

Not sure if it's monumentally bad, but in Armored Core 6, the HUD is an opaque shade of grey-ish off-white.

And so is 90% of the environments you're in. I had a VERY hard time seeing some of the info it was trying to tell me,

No option to change the color/opacity.

I remember playing City of Heroes in 2004 and it had a FULLY customizable UI. Color, opacity, and where each UI element on the screen was.

Edit:
Haha, not only did I already make this same complaint, I even compared it to City of Heroes, too. Lol, I'm a broken record:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Just started Armored Core 6, and I'm pretty annoyed that I can't change the UI/HUD at all.

Sure do love a slightly blueish-grey HUD on top of a slightly blueish-grey sky and a more often than not slightly blueish-grey concrete ground.

I was playing City of Heroes almost 20 years ago and that had a MASSIVELY customizable UI color and placement system. How can I not change this in a game released in 2023?

basically, the point is City of Heroes was one of the greatest games ever and you bastards let it die!

*Yes, I know that fan-run server thing is still going and might even have recently got the legal ok to keep going, too?

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Feb 2, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not sure if it's monumentally bad, but in Armored Core 6, the HUD is an opaque shade of grey-ish off-white.

And so is 90% of the environments you're in. I had a VERY hard time seeing some of the info it was trying to tell me,

No option to change the color/opacity.

I remember playing City of Heroes in 2004 and it had a FULLY customizable UI. Color, opacity, and where each UI element on the screen was.

Wasn't that a thing in... the old Armored Core games? I mean, I know it was around in PSX games, and I'm pretty sure Armored Core had it. It's impressive if they've managed to gently caress that up this far along.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Nearly my whole first playthrough of Dark Souls contained no magic usage. I figured they would be gone forever after using up the number of casts on the scroll. Then eventually I bought one and then rested at a bonfire. :cripes: Not even a paltry 'scrolls refresh at bonfires' in the item description???

edit: they even know it's annoying because it's disabled on Heroic and Legendary

When I played Elden Ring I definitely spent a while thinking Ashes of War worked like the crafting gems in DS3 that you could occasionally find that made your scaling change and not like spells for your weapons that also changed scaling sometimes, funnily enough.

But also speaking of Souls, it ultimately doesn’t change anything but it feels kinda jank that we’re like six games in as of Elden Ring but the scaling uses only E-D-C-B-A instead of, say, C- ~ C ~ C+ ~ B-… I think I’ve seen a decent amount of people confused by the fact that the letter kinda implies better scaling by turning blue but scarcely ever changing its tier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

grittyreboot posted:

The scrolls are good because if you have a Wizard you can scribe them all to learn more spells (that you will also never use).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

credburn posted:

Useful in BG3 though because the scrolls don't use up spell slots. Like sometimes I will have a character use a scroll for a spell they already know just so I'm not using up a slot that I will need later.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

credburn posted:

They're extremely useful on Honour mode runs, can get you out of all sorts of problems.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

CJacobs posted:

I was tens of hours into Witcher 3 assuming that potions worked like consumables in all other RPGs, so I didn't touch them. Then I found out that they refresh on rest (without consuming crafting materials other than a very common base) and I went hog wild with them the rest of the game.
:catdrugs:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I started my second sitting of Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, and after hitting "Launch" on the game through the Epic Store, it

• popped up a User Account Control message for Ubisoft Connect to click yes on
  • popped up another User Account Control message for Ubisoft Connect to click yes on
  • one more of those for good measure
  • JK one more
  • Finally opened the Prince of Persia loading icon in the center of three screen
  • Loading screen found a patch to download (has to be downloaded from Ubisoft, apparently this can't be handled by Epic who regularly updates games in the background 24/7/365)
  • Update finished, which requires Ubisoft Connect to close and restart
  • popped up a User Account Control message for Ubisoft Connect to click yes on
  • popped up another UAC message for Ubisoft Connect
  • Of course it did it a third time, which must mean...
  • Yep, there's UAC prompt #4! (#8 total)

Then I could play the game. It's not new, I reluctantly clicked yes on the first 4 UAC prompts when I first installed the game, but having to do it 4 times every time I launch the game, then 4 more times after a single patch was applied, makes me think I'm better off uninstalling the game and quarantining the Ubisoft Connect process. There's no earthly reason for it to need that many confirmations unless it's going full corporate-approved spyware

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Scrolls in BG3 kick rear end, I was getting the piss beaten out of me in a big fight because I showed up with dick for remaining spells and skills, and long resting moved things along in a way I didn't want. Took a few swings at it before I really went through my inventory to see what I had to hand, tried it with a bunch of scroll use, and absolutely bodied those idiots.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Callisto Protocol is a game almost entirely composed of things dragging it down, but I think the funniest one is the pistol foregrip. Like a lot of middling action games, Callisto has a weapon upgrade system. The first upgrade you can get for your pistol is a foregrip. Now, one thing that is good about the game is the animation work which is all very nice. Which is why the animators presumably realized that someone holding the grip and a foregrip on a pistol would look really loving stupid. So my pistol has a foregrip that my character has never and will never actually grip.

Also, there's no point to it mechanically because it reduces recoil, but the pistol is a slow-firing weapon and you usually want to fire pretty precisely. Game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

1stGear posted:

The Callisto Protocol is a game almost entirely composed of things dragging it down, but I think the funniest one is the pistol foregrip. Like a lot of middling action games, Callisto has a weapon upgrade system. The first upgrade you can get for your pistol is a foregrip. Now, one thing that is good about the game is the animation work which is all very nice. Which is why the animators presumably realized that someone holding the grip and a foregrip on a pistol would look really loving stupid. So my pistol has a foregrip that my character has never and will never actually grip.

Also, there's no point to it mechanically because it reduces recoil, but the pistol is a slow-firing weapon and you usually want to fire pretty precisely. Game design.

Games tend to have weird things related to weapon upgrades.

MGSV: The Phantom Pain has a weapon upgrade called double magazine which is 2 magazines taped together. This is one those "tier 1 operator tacticool" stuff some people do.

The description says it improves reload speed but that's only half the truth. It improves reload speed only if you fire the whole magazine empty and then Snake will quickly switch the paired mags

If you reload while half full, Snake will put both mags away and pull out another taped pair from his pocket so you wont get the benefit of fast reload.