Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

Angry Joe posted the last of his 2023 Top Ten videos so I thought I’d share the lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPH6aEGmTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l9yNqUeq0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZR4We_aN8Y

Unbelievably, Gollum did NOT manage to make it to the top of the worst games list. What could possibly have dethroned it? Watch and find out.

wait sorry did you just post 4 hours of angry joe videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

wait sorry did you just post 4 hours of angry joe videos.

Indeed. I did not, however, compel you to watch them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm going to compel you to stop posting, brother

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Alaois posted:

I'm going to compel you to stop posting, brother

Well I'll definitely stop posting this guy's stuff then if that's the reaction it's going to get. Any particular reason for that or is it just that he's a shouty angry critic?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Don't care enough about Angry Joe to hate him. In fact to all the Joe-headz out there I say :cheers:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kunster posted:

My favourite dumb thing about FriendlyJeordies is how months before the firebombing and threats started happening, one of his bigger tussles involved his appearance on a podcast where he talked about the treatment of Uyghur in China, and now because his audience (And Tucker Carlson) are mostly people who pratically want to start a war with China once every few months, he can't actually elaborate on what he said knowing that the same people that poo poo their pants about John Cena selling LaoGanMa or Disney filiming there once would have his head in a pike if he much as said "The PRC treatment of them wasn't as bad as western press would have you believe."

Content? CONTENT! Ashens has posted another talk of his to his youtube channel, this time about weird puzzles in old adventure games.

lol, sorry I don't think he is actually in a position to find out about an ongoing genocide. He can find out stuff in Australlia because its a democracy with things like freedom of the press/speech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres some accusations of being a sexpest floating around

like him finding some random girl, hitting on her, told her to pretend to be his girlfriend and wouldnt let her call her actual boyfriend so he could show her off to all his random youtuber friends like 'ayyyy'

weird dude

unfortunately because he didnt literally kill her everyone just called her a bitch and she deleted the posts and now gets to deal with harassment about it for the rest of her life :cool:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He can find out stuff in Australlia because its a democracy with things like freedom of the press/speech.
given australian libel laws i question this notion

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
my american perception of australia is that it seems to be an even more reactionary version of the uk somehow

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
All of the friends I know who live in Australia are in WA, which is apparently pretty chill thanks to being labor-aligned and separated from the rest of the country by vast tracks of absolutely loving nothing. Definitely get the sense that if I ever find myself in Australia I'm just gonna go to Perth and then maybe road trip down the southern coast and enjoy the beaches/parks.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGsLvlzvwQk
Really enjoying Blue Bidya Game's PS1 series, I think it usually strikes a nice balance between "background info on the game's topic/developer" and the game itself.

Good companion to our very own RndStranger's "all games from a platform" series, I'm still only up to 256 on the Famidaily playlist but loving it!

Though with Blue Bidya putting the videos out roughly one per month it's going to take a bit longer...

Anyway, both channels/series are criminally underrated/viewed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i know about angry joe is that he's a gun nut, and that TLOU 2 gave him brainrot

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGsLvlzvwQk
Really enjoying Blue Bidya Game's PS1 series, I think it usually strikes a nice balance between "background info on the game's topic/developer" and the game itself.

Good companion to our very own RndStranger's "all games from a platform" series, I'm still only up to 256 on the Famidaily playlist but loving it!

Though with Blue Bidya putting the videos out roughly one per month it's going to take a bit longer...

Anyway, both channels/series are criminally underrated/viewed.

train games ftw

i'll watch this sometime

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's a bigger fan of Tony Robins but he posted a video on his second channel titled 'Jordan Peterson Is A BO$$' about how he thinks that Jorp is a top notch self help guru for intellectuals
why is there a but? robbins is also a huge red flag.

Sydin posted:

All of the friends I know who live in Australia are in WA, which is apparently pretty chill thanks to being labor-aligned and separated from the rest of the country by vast tracks of absolutely loving nothing. Definitely get the sense that if I ever find myself in Australia I'm just gonna go to Perth and then maybe road trip down the southern coast and enjoy the beaches/parks.
the first time i was in perth within ten minutes of the airport we were stopped at the lights behind a ute with an australian flag on the back and the driver just got out and started punching the window of the car in front of them until the lights went green. great beaches but chips too expensive. fremantle was superb.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

all i know about angry joe is that he's a gun nut, and that TLOU 2 gave him brainrot
Which kind of TLOU 2 brainrot?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

Which kind of TLOU 2 brainrot?

Usually that means people turn into fitness and nutrition experts as to why Abby couldn't be muscular.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's always funny to me that out of all the real and obvious problems with TLOT2 the most popular criticisms were stupid and bad

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think Jakey has made the only good TLOU2 video I've seen on youtube. It's just not a great game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYMH-lp4oM

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Never playing Neil Druckmann's Zionist game

Escape the cycle of violence

Says the zionist perpetuating it

I haven't watched Angry Joe in years. But it seems he hasn't been in other controversies other than last of us 2 and that sexual harassment thing that didn't seem to get much traction. I haven't seem him retract saying gamergate bad so that's good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

euroshopper posted:

my american perception of australia is that it seems to be an even more reactionary version of the uk somehow

Depends a bit on the issue I suspect. TERFery hasn't taken hold like it has there but we are probably worse on race than the UK..

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think Jakey has made the only good TLOU2 video I've seen on youtube. It's just not a great game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYMH-lp4oM

Man, why is it every time action game developers try to be artsy or high minded, they just always fall back on "Force the players to do specific actions to progress the game, then make them feel bad for the actions you gave them no agency in deciding?"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

KingKalamari posted:

Man, why is it every time major game developers try to be artsy or high minded, they just always fall back on "Force the players to do specific actions to progress the game, then make them feel bad for the actions you gave them no agency in deciding?"

You could always turn the game off :smug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Man, why is it every time action game developers try to be artsy or high minded, they just always fall back on "Force the players to do specific actions to progress the game, then make them feel bad for the actions you gave them no agency in deciding?"

Because they're insidiously assuming the form of movies like a mimic. How many horror movies have you seen where someone in the theater screams 'Oh no don't go in there!'?

Anakin no, don't trust Palpatine, he's evil! Frodo no, don't listen to Gollum, he's the personality who only tells lies!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KingKalamari posted:

It’s fun

I loved tlou2

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

It’s fun

I loved tlou2

2 for 2 on legendary bad taste here man, I'm sorry

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
MrBtongue pointed out that games ape movies by trying to be "cinematic" because they're desperate for mainstream acceptance as prestige art like 15 years ago in some lovely, low effort, RLM Plinkett-rear end copycat video and guess what he was he 100% right and continues to be right to this day.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grondoth posted:

2 for 2 on legendary bad taste here man, I'm sorry

People who talk about taste are chuds

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think video games adapt cinematic language because they're both audio/visual mediums used for storytelling

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cinema is the best honestly.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I hated the entire last level of TLOU1 and thought it sucked poo poo that my only choice as a Gamer was kill the only remaining apocalypse doctors in the world or stop playing the game forever.

But at least Joel's lie at the end was setting up for a sequel where Lie Is Revealed And Plot Happen.

Except then the whole plot of 2 just came from killing all the doctors and Joel's lie is barely of any consequence so.... lol

plus it sucked how many times I carefully snuck through an area only for Ellie to do a big fart or clatter over a load of pans or delboy through a bar in a cutscene and get caught.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was a murder god in tlou2. Ellie’s wrath rivaled horror’s greatest slashers

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
IMO not every video game has to be a Your Choices Matter video game. Having two buttons labeled Save Ellie/Kill Ellie wouldn't have improved anything about the ending.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 1, 2024

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Sydin posted:

MrBtongue pointed out that games ape movies by trying to be "cinematic" because they're desperate for mainstream acceptance as prestige art like 15 years ago in some lovely, low effort, RLM Plinkett-rear end copycat video and guess what he was he 100% right and continues to be right to this day.

I miss that guy. Way ahead of his time.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

KingKalamari posted:

I think using an interactive medium to get a player closer to the emotions a character is experiencing is a different thing than developers morally judging the player. One of the strongest moments in MGS3 is exactly what you described.

I initially dismissed TLoU 2 as the "ooooo violence bad" thing but I genuinely think it does some good work alienating the player from the protagonist and using that to sell its message. Where I think it fucks up is that the third act falls flat and the Israel/Palestine metaphor comes from someone trying to be equivocal but reveals a lot of underlying zionism in how that Not Palestinians are still a bunch of backward savages with no real culture

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I actually don't think a lack of choice is particularly bad. Yeah Joel's a bastard, and Ellie fails to grow beyond the evil of her adopted dad. That's a normal rear end story.

It's just a game that demands you take very seriously some very silly situations that really threw me out of the loop. Specifically in creating huge hordes of bastards you could guiltlessly murder between each story segment. You'd think the zombies would render that unneeded, but no the earth just generates mindless murderers at a similar rate to Payday generating cops from the aether.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

mycot posted:

IMO not every video game has to be a Your Choices Matter video game. Having two buttons labeled Save Ellie/Kill Ellie wouldn't have improved anything about the ending.

Some of my favourite game stories are no-choice stories. The problem I had with tlou1 was how much of the story I disliked for being cliched and obvious, how little I was interested in Joel's extremely obvious arc, and how it did not feel like it justified any of his actions at the end.

Which just amplifies how little choice you have - by making me play to a script I thought was dumb as hell by the end, but still had to do 3 more hours of doctor killing just so I could see if there was anything worthwhile beyond that.

And even though I hated it, I at least thought the lie was an interesting direction to take a sequel, and fully expected the sequel to... do something with that kernel. But then it just kills joel 10 minutes in, and ellie just shrugs off the lie really quickly after she finds out? i don't even remember, it was so inconsequential

graphics were good tho

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oh god oh gently caress posted:

I think using an interactive medium to get a player closer to the emotions a character is experiencing is a different thing than developers morally judging the player. One of the strongest moments in MGS3 is exactly what you described.

I initially dismissed TLoU 2 as the "ooooo violence bad" thing but I genuinely think it does some good work alienating the player from the protagonist and using that to sell its message. Where I think it fucks up is that the third act falls flat and the Israel/Palestine metaphor comes from someone trying to be equivocal but reveals a lot of underlying zionism in how that Not Palestinians are still a bunch of backward savages with no real culture

To be fair regarding the I/P metaphor, the “Israel” side does gets mercilessly murked because they’re too murderhungry and they 100% have it coming.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Neil Suckman.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I actually like the absolute shittiness of TLOU humanity. Zombies more or less being a solved problem within ~20 years and wars returning to normal human vs human conflicts is more sensible than "oh no I left the gate open" forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the last of us 2 should have focused more on the cool zombies instead of the revenge is bad plot everyone saw coming