Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

alexandriao posted:

Making a cake is literally just the ability to:

a) find a list of instructions

b) follow them

you can make a "good enough" sponge in a microwave if you follow the right recipe so i would be incredibly concerned if a high school student or a 20yro is unable to do this

This is true but I have made some pretty complicated dishes that have come out great but I have never baked a single thing from scratch fully successfully. At best I end up with non-Euclidean shaped thing that tastes Fine but I am very glad only I am seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rick posted:

This is true but I have made some pretty complicated dishes that have come out great but I have never baked a single thing from scratch fully successfully. At best I end up with non-Euclidean shaped thing that tastes Fine but I am very glad only I am seeing it.

Yeah, I can cook well and have even worked as a line cook and sushi chef, but I just have a mental block when it comes to baking. I can bake the simplest of recipes moderately well at best, no matter how careful I believe I'm being.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Baking is definitely harder than following instructions, there's often whole steps of the process which will get named (creaming sugar, blooming yeast, browning butter, etc.) and not explained. Some other stuff is a bit backwards, like how sugar is often considered a Wet ingredient, not a Dry ingredient, since you're often using that to aerate your butter during the sugar creaming process.

That, and making sure to not overmix in general, but also mixing the gently caress out of the recipes where you know you need to whip something on high for way longer than you feel comfortable running your kitchenaid. Angel Food Cake still makes me uncomfortable to this day because of a knockoff stand mixer I owned, which smelled like it was going to burst into flames if you ran it any higher than 2/10 on the power selector. (it probably was, we replaced it before it had the chance)

E: i think its fair to compare it to building ikea furniture. Can anybody do it? Sure. Should you probably look up additional information and references? Absolutely

bawk has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jan 30, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm decent at baking but I've definitely had the experience where I (think I) followed every direction to the letter and what came out of the oven bore absolutely no resemblance to what I was expecting or hoping for.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My baked stuff usually turns out fine, but I've trained myself not to look at progress pictures in recipes because they always look completely different than what I had created at that point in the process.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

So much of baking specifically is based on experience that can only be acquired by 1) being shown in person or 2) trial and error. Realistically 1 just leads to a little less of 2. But you can't really learn from a cookbook how dry is too dry for a pie crust, or how stiff a stiff peak needs to be.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

bawk posted:

E: i think its fair to compare it to building ikea furniture. Can anybody do it? Sure. Should you probably look up additional information and references? Absolutely

:dafuq:

What additional info and resources do you need to build ikea furniture?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've never built Ikea furniture but I thought the entire point was that one doesn't need any external resources?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you’ve never seen them before and aren’t handy the instructions can be weird to parse

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you’ve never seen them before and aren’t handy the instructions can be weird to parse

Pretty much exactly this, the spatial stuff when building a nightstand was kinda funky and it's way easier to look up a video, mute it, put it on 1.5x speed, and play/pause as I go in order to make sure I'm looking at that poo poo correctly.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

credburn posted:

I've never built Ikea furniture but I thought the entire point was that one doesn't need any external resources?

Will you two PLEASE get different avatars

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

the instruction manual

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It takes years to learn when to use the long end or the short end of the allen wrench

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

I think this is the longest EAH has gone without having a wife-related avatar or red-text bought for him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No matter how many times I’ve bought them for him, it somehow keeps getting changed.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Hardcordion posted:

Wood glue and a mallet.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

building IKEA furniture is not hard. you don't need anything more than the instructions. just, I don't know, try harder

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hawowanlawow posted:

building IKEA furniture is not hard. you don't need anything more than the instructions. just, I don't know, try harder

yeah with all the youtube tutorials and lifehacks and stuff, people tend to forget that sometimes the solution is just "be better at doing stuff"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What the Ikea manual doesn't say is that if you put an incorrect screw or dowel or something into the wrong slot, you are hosed because the parts are designed to disintegrate into sawdust if you try to correct your mistake and take them apart.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

read all of the instructions and lay out the hardware before you start. don't rush

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hawowanlawow posted:

read all of the instructions and lay out the hardware before you start. don't rush

yeah there's a guide to the connectors at the front of the manual. There's no reason other than completely avoidable user error that you would ever use the wrong one.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To err is human

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Two things are true.

1. IKEA furniture isn't that hard to put together if you take your time and follow the instructions.

2. If you're not very handy, or are tired, or in a rush, it's very easy to gently caress up which similar looking connector goes into which hole rendering the whole process completely hosed.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

A while back I was considering getting into 3D printing, so I bought the cheapest 3D printer on the market, which was essentially a build-it-yourself kit from some no-name Chinese company. It was a really interesting design because it didn't actually have any connectors, it was all pieces of heavy plastic with little holes and protrusions. The cool thing was, all the protrusions were slightly different sizes, shapes, and spacings, so it was literally impossible to connect two pieces that weren't meant to be connected.

That thing sucked as a printer but it was a cool build.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Muscle Tracer posted:

A while back I was considering getting into 3D printing, so I bought the cheapest 3D printer on the market, which was essentially a build-it-yourself kit from some no-name Chinese company. It was a really interesting design because it didn't actually have any connectors, it was all pieces of heavy plastic with little holes and protrusions. The cool thing was, all the protrusions were slightly different sizes, shapes, and spacings, so it was literally impossible to connect two pieces that weren't meant to be connected.

Hope, delusion, and the inevitable conclusion, in a short story; beautiful.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

printers printing printers, each generation lumpier than the last

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Running is fun and I look down on anyone who is able bodied but can’t do like a measly 5k

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Why must you look down on anyone?

doverhog has a new favorite as of 01:58 on Feb 2, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

You seem to be posting in the wrong thread.

Yeah people got really mad when I even suggested there was value in measuring one’s physical ability, let alone expecting a minimum standard.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I thought the post he made was a response to my post about running in https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=179 which if so was in the wrong thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah people got really mad when I even suggested there was value in measuring one’s physical ability, let alone expecting a minimum standard.

no they didn't, you were just made fun of a little for it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

doverhog posted:

Why must you look down on anyone?

Exactly what I say when goons start talking about Republicans

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Edgar Allen D'oh!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Exactly what I say when goons start talking about Republicans

To be fair that is a valid reason.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

no they didn't, you were just made fun of a little for it

They got so mad.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Rick posted:

Professional cake makers will literally cut the cake to shape.

You don't Always have to do it but sometimes you do and It's Ok.

I should also mention that I didn't mean a loving picture perfect 1000 hours cake, I simply meant "Something decent enough". Of course circumstances are going to dictate what that means. But making a cake, a cake to be *eaten*, a cake that at the very least is *edible* can be done by almost any high schooler.

My current experiments could be termed more "microwave monstrosities" than cakes and they're still better than a good chunk of store bought when it comes to the eating of them

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Feb 2, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

lmao glad it's not just me

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

steinrokkan posted:

What the Ikea manual doesn't say is that if you put an incorrect screw or dowel or something into the wrong slot, you are hosed because the parts are designed to disintegrate into sawdust if you try to correct your mistake and take them apart.

I've done this a lot and the solution has always been to unscrew it or just pull it out with a pliers :confused:

They're thin but they can still take a bit of bullying here and there and I've never been in a situation that was completely unrecoverable.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Running is fun and I look down on anyone who is able bodied but can’t do like a measly 5k

I have the feeling some people are able to just shut off their minds when running and find it meditative.

Personally, I find it not mindless enough to do that, but also not interesting enough to enjoy being in the moment with it.

Which leaves me bored and unable to distract myself from the general unpleasantness of it. Running, by itself, sucks.

Give me a sport to play though, and I'll keep going for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

steinrokkan posted:

Putting the wrong screw or dowel in anything will destroy it. Metal will strip. Hardwoods will crack. That's why it's the wrong one.