Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always felt Dukat worked better as the face of Cardassian oppression when he wasn't 'pure evil'. Making Dukat a supervillain seemed to be missing the point - the Cardassian occupation as a whole was a crime, even if Dukat really was doing his best to avoid the worst excesses.

(It also made him a nice parallel for Odo, who also claims that he was doing the best he could within an unjust system...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dukat is Barack Obama, as interpreted by right-wing religious fundamentalist terrorists (who are the major Bajoran representatives in the show).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't they have Dukat go in that direction because they were seeing people admiring him and poo poo online? And it was like: No, this guy is Actually Bad.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
People also thought they blew up the Enterprise.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Boxturret posted:

Yeah. If you make your show explain itself, it will lessen your show.

That said, TV writing in general back in the 90s wasn't as good as it (can be) these days. Writers who use subtext are cowards and all that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Boxturret posted:

I mean they have, several times. That just wasn't one of them.

I liked Dukat going evil but going evil via the Pah Wraiths was dumb. He's much better as a political threat than a literal deus ex machina. Have him "defect" and talk his way into being a Federation war advisor manipulating things to his own agenda or something.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, going from Hitler to Satan was the wrong move. That's really my only beef with where his character went.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It did get him out of the way for Damar though. If they had decided to keep him competent evil instead of crazy evil they might not've done that storyline.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Him being arrested by the Federation after his mental break could have still happened allowing Damar's character to rise to power while Dukat manipulated the Federation from within.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure there are stories that the writers themselves were going back and forth on Dukat before they finally went all-in on him being evil. Which I guess helped them to build out the complexity of the character more. There was theoretically some avenue for him to really turn around from the love of his daughter opening his mind, but after she died, he broke.

And while it's kinda fun to see him give up on trying to be reasonable from his perspective and sink into hate, he gets pretty boring after that, and I don't think tossing fireballs in hell while trying to grab control of a space-magic prophecy is a good narrative finish for an otherwise character-driven story.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The thing about Dukat is that he was horrifically evil at every step of the way, so going over the top wasn't really necessary. He never turned evil, he just became a comic book villain. Later season Dukat is arguably less evil because he's so ridiculous and silly, whereas early Dukat straight-up oversaw concentration camps and genocide.

Trying to write around deficiencies in your audience just never works out, and it would have been easy to show Dukat going mask-off without actually changing anything about his character.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ashpanash posted:

Yeah. If you make your show explain itself, it will lessen your show.

That said, TV writing in general back in the 90s wasn't as good as it (can be) these days. Writers who use subtext are cowards and all that.

What I really like when I watch the old star treks compared to (most of) the new stuff though is I'll sometimes have a question like "wait, why didn't they just" and the show actually covers that.
It feels like they've had a proper think about what they need to do about a situation and explained why they've not done X and Y and settled on Z

The new ones don't do that.

So yea it's annoying that they're responding to the audience but I'd take what they have over the alternative

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Although cartoon character Dukat gave us his "gotta find a way to pull this out of my rear end" with his cult baby

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sash! posted:

Although cartoon character Dukat gave us his "gotta find a way to pull this out of my rear end" with his cult baby

That was the last good Dukat episode

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

No Dignity posted:

/

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

No Dignity posted:

Yeah, it really sucks that the pah-wraith plotline doesn't really go anywhere in the end other than a laughably bad final fight scene.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can you imagine the implications to Bajoran society to have the pope, the messiah, and their main link to the Federation just vanish on the same day with unclear reports as to what happened to them?

The writers sure didn't care to. It's such a politically-minded show up to that point.

Oh yeah, also that one suspected exiled Cardassian assassin suddenly returns home at about the same time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

No Dignity posted:

While the overarching stuff wasn't great. The Dukat and Winn stuff was pretty decent, especially her finding out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can you imagine the implications to Bajoran society to have the pope, the messiah, and their main link to the Federation just vanish on the same day with unclear reports as to what happened to them?

Including his wife saying she got a vision from him telling her he'd joined the prophets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zedd posted:

While the overarching stuff wasn't great. The Dukat and Winn stuff was pretty decent, especially her finding out.

Agree. The story wasn't good but those two actors in a room is worth watching anyway.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Disappearing without a trace is very messiah-ish

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Disappearing without a trace is very messiah-ish

SISKO WILL RETURN

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Accipiter posted:

SISKO WILL RETURN

Again, very messiah-ish

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Accipiter posted:

SISKO WILL RETURN
Dude, It's been twenty four years, I don't think he's coming back.

:(

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Far Beyond The Stars: wasn't really able to appreciate this one as a kid, but it's good and fun to see guys like JG Hertzler, Auberjonois and Shimerman out of make-up. drat, Michael Dorn is handsome.

You can really tell Brooks' theater background at the end there when he's EMOTING FOR THE BACK ROWWWWS

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

dr_rat posted:

Dude, It's been twenty four years, I don't think he's coming back.

:(

Yes but what about Jesus how long has it been now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The original plan was for it to be explicit that Sisko was basically leaving forever but Brooks balked at the stereotype of the non-present black father, and since his role as a father was so central to his character (and to his personal relationship with Cirroc Lofton), he made them change it. I always liked that. I feel like Sisko's ambivalence towards the Vegas heist was intended to mirror Brooks' problems with downplaying issues from the civil rights era. Aside from that episode, are there other episodes that mention the struggle for equality in the 1960s? I always felt that was shocking to see in your usually anodyne Star Trek political statements. Jake saying the n-word in FBTS was similarly shocking, but as far as I can recall those are the only two instances in which anti-black racism from the 20th century is directly addressed in Star Trek, though I'm happy to stand corrected.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I mean, there’s “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”. And I guess Uhura shutting down Lincoln in “Savage Curtain”. Neither attempt has aged over well

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Kirk and Uhura kissing

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I thought for sure Drive was going to end with B'Elanna escaping her dumb relationship with Tom but no we're doubling the gently caress down.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I wonder if Sisko dissappearing allowed Jake to write his award winning book later on but without the suicidial obsession to bring his dad back.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The only problem with Sisko saying he will be back is that it doesn’t change anything!

Kasidy is still a single mother bringing up his child, but now she has to live her life wondering if today is the day Ben comes back.

I think the only reasonable way to handle it would be her going back to their house on Bajor and finding Ben inside cooking and asking her what took so long?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zaroff posted:

The only problem with Sisko saying he will be back is that it doesn’t change anything!

Kasidy is still a single mother bringing up his child, but now she has to live her life wondering if today is the day Ben comes back.

I think the only reasonable way to handle it would be her going back to their house on Bajor and finding Ben inside cooking and asking her what took so long?

That's canon as far as I'm concerned.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My little headcanon is that Sisko is 'still missing' to the galaxy but yeah he's just been chilling back at their house and hasn't told anyone but family and friends.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
"It's hard to say. Maybe a year, maybe... Yesterday?"

Narrator: It was yesterday.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He didn't really "abandon" them like he went out for cigarettes and he didn't come back. He sorta died?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

He didn't really "abandon" them like he went out for cigarettes and he didn't come back. He sorta died?

It was extremely unclear.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

MikeJF posted:

My little headcanon is that Sisko is 'still missing' to the galaxy but yeah he's just been chilling back at their house and hasn't told anyone but family and friends.

I'm stealing your headcanon.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I agree. It is super unclear. He's literally falling into the Eternal Fire Caves of Hell or whatever and GOES INTO THE LIGHT then ends up with space gods? I mean...that sort of implies he loving died. But then he didn't? But also he's in space heaven and no longer obeys the laws of time and space. So he's kind of like a ghost now?

It doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

New head canon: The Sisko can only reappear when you light a special Sisko Candle.