Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think you're supposed to soak your wool dryer balls. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

amazing snipe

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
About to actually purchase those new appliances - A bosch dishwasher as recommended and a frigidaire for the fridge.

I know everyone recommended the bosch, but the ones I looked at there were a lot of comments saying they don't actually get dishes dry. Is this just user error, or is it an actual problem in some of them?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

About to actually purchase those new appliances - A bosch dishwasher as recommended and a frigidaire for the fridge.

I know everyone recommended the bosch, but the ones I looked at there were a lot of comments saying they don't actually get dishes dry. Is this just user error, or is it an actual problem in some of them?

There are two styles of dishwashers, generally. "US" and "european". Your "US" dishwasher has a heating element for drying and burns the plastic poo poo that falls down on the bottom during the cycle. The "Euro" ones boost the heat of the water on the final rinse and depend on the heat absorbed by the tub/mass of the inside of the dishwasher to dry things.

The euro style absolutely leaves more water on things. I'm fine with that and prefer it greatly. But it's part of your workflow......if you need to run another load as soon as they are done youl need to unload and put another in then this is the wrong style dishwasher for you. Of course all new dishwashers are slow anyway......but this is the price you pay for waiting for enmzyme cleaning to work and using very little water.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I don't need it to be quick, I just need it to dry without having to leave the door open - I've had some previous dishwashers that wouldn't dry unless I did that, and doing that here would block off access to the kitchen or else I wouldn't even care about that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't need it to be quick, I just need it to dry without having to leave the door open - I've had some previous dishwashers that wouldn't dry unless I did that, and doing that here would block off access to the kitchen.

What is the humidity where you live? Because in socal I have 0 problems with it drying dishes other than tupperware. I just shake the water off when I start unloading and then by the time I put them away they're dry enough. Some of the high end ones will pop open the door to let the steam out. I run a load every night at 1am and by 6 or 7am when I get the first things out of it everything is dry except the tupperware. If it's not I prop open the door an inch with the middle rack and ignore it for a bit. Again it depends on your workflow but it's a way overblown problem in my opinion. Stuff is definitely wet on "express" but one of the things that cycle does is entirely skip the drying. 32 minutes instead of 2.25 hours though so who cares?

Plus I can put plastic on the bottom rack. It's all 100% worth it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I wish I had gotten the higher-end Bosch but it was peak pandemic when we bought appliances and it wasn’t available. So we just do a load after dinner and cracking it open a couple of inches when it’s done works well enough for evaporation.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sounds like it will be fine then, thanks.

I've definitely had dishwashers where it was a problem but it doesn't sound like I can expect that level of failure to dry here, hah.

I installed a new faucet for the new sink setup, btw! It was fun figuring out how to attach it to my pipe, since apparently a 1/2 inch straight thread can actually refer to two completely different different size plumbing connections, and the one I had was the one they didn't have any 3/8ths adapters for. Glad I went in person and didn't purchase these online, I never would have realized (and glad they had a wall with all the different connectors, and that I brought everything with me to physically check) But they did have one that could connect my old supply line to the new one, so now I have a pipe->old supply line->new supply line setup that seems functional and non-leaky, so hurrah. Before I'm done here I might cut the copper pipe and put, I dunno, maybe a valve I can use to turn off the water on it? That seems like it would be useful.

But this was at least enough that I can turn the water back on to the rest of my house and I don't have to do anything else with it, and can just focus on cutting and fitting the pvc for the new drain setup tomorrow. So, progress!

Also, I finally got my car back, all fixed up, and then got rear-ended while stopping for food, so that's fun!

I'm actually kind of happy the computer chair broke, though. The new computer chair I have is loving awesome, like a huge step above the old broken one, and I love it. Hopefully all these other problems end up the same way a month from now I can by like, drat, I'm glad all that poo poo went wrong and made my life so much better.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 2, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My mom complained that her new Bosch wasn’t getting dishes dry like her old unit used to. Took several service calls from the place that sold it to her before she talked to someone on the phone who explained there is some kind of cryptic programming you can perform to alter the drying cycle intensity or time or something. Anyway after she fiddled some buttons with their instructions, everything comes out dry like she expects.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

GlyphGryph posted:

I have a Bosch 800 and there is almost always some residual water in spots where it can catch, but none enough to matter. I hear tell that one of the other Bosch units has a feature to pop the door open (just an inch or so) when the cycle's done. I have manually popped it open if I happened by when it was finishing, and it will leave everything bone-dry in such case.

Lawnie posted:

My mom complained that her new Bosch wasn’t getting dishes dry like her old unit used to. Took several service calls from the place that sold it to her before she talked to someone on the phone who explained there is some kind of cryptic programming you can perform to alter the drying cycle intensity or time or something. Anyway after she fiddled some buttons with their instructions, everything comes out dry like she expects.

I have to look into this. I've gotten used to having tiny collections on the underside of glasses (the insides of glasses & mugs, plates, silverware are always dry) but it would be nice.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

I hear tell that one of the other Bosch units has a feature to pop the door open (just an inch or so) when the cycle's done.

Other than it doing an amazing job at washing dishes this is my favorite feature, it's loving awesome

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah, mine pops open after a cycle. Definitely one of my all time top purchases

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Love my Bosch 300 series dishwasher, it does a fantastic job.

But.

In the infinite wisdom of enshittification, the only way you can set a delay on the cycle is to start the cycle through the Bosch app. The POS kitchenaide it replaced had a 2 hour delay button right on the control pad! The delay is important where I am due to electrical rates.

We've made it work because the app allows you to create an Android widget that links to the cycle with the delay. But it still sucks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

skybolt_1 posted:

Love my Bosch 300 series dishwasher, it does a fantastic job.

But.

In the infinite wisdom of enshittification, the only way you can set a delay on the cycle is to start the cycle through the Bosch app. The POS kitchenaide it replaced had a 2 hour delay button right on the control pad! The delay is important where I am due to electrical rates.

We've made it work because the app allows you to create an Android widget that links to the cycle with the delay. But it still sucks.

This is 100% so they can harvest data, either relatively benign crap just related to the washer or, if they're really nefarious, other crap you do on your phone and at that point the question of what they're getting come down to what permissions they've bullshitted themselves into getting.

If someone requires a mandatory app to use a basic feature that shoudln't need it, it's so that they can get in on that sweet, sweet data selling gravy train. The "good" ones are just collecting data on how you use their product, but they're still selling your data.

See also : every loving appliance that wants access to your wifi.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So apparently the old dishwasher was hardwired and the new ones all need, like, an outlet of some sort, so I guess I'm going to leave the sink off for now as I add "electrical work" to the list of things I need to get done before this project is complete. Oh yeah, and the countertop sort of... came off on one side? Like, it can just be shifted around and lifted wirhout difficulty. It was attached to the dishwasher which I think was providing it with the structural strength to stay in one place, and glued to the walls which looks like it failed a long time ago.

Also opened up a new area next to the sink area to have easier access and there was apparently some sort of rodent nest back here at some point, considering the amount of mouse poop and peanut shells, so that's fun. Now I'm debating whether I should open up the other inaccessible area so I can clean out whatever is in there as well.

Really feeling the full scene impact of that Malcolm in the Middle gif posted earlier for the first time in my life.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GlyphGryph posted:

So apparently the old dishwasher was hardwired and the new ones all need, like, an outlet of some sort, so I guess I'm going to leave the sink off for now as I add "electrical work" to the list of things I need to get done before this project is complete. Oh yeah, and the countertop sort of... came off on one side? Like, it can just be shifted around and lifted wirhout difficulty. It was attached to the dishwasher which I think was providing it with the structural strength to stay in one place, and glued to the walls which looks like it failed a long time ago.

If you're getting the Bosch, they have a hardwire kit you can buy separately if you don't want to install an outlet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Dishwasher-Power-Cord-with-Junction-Box-Accessory-SMZPCJB1UC/310320108

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

So apparently the old dishwasher was hardwired and the new ones all need, like, an outlet of some sort

Basically all appliances in the last 10+ years are plug in. This is because code in most sane jurisdictions doesn't want the guy LowesDepot hired to make deliveries and unbox/move heavy stuff doing electrical work.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Sirotan posted:

If you're getting the Bosch, they have a hardwire kit you can buy separately if you don't want to install an outlet: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Dishwasher-Power-Cord-with-Junction-Box-Accessory-SMZPCJB1UC/310320108

They brought this up as an option, but it feels like something I should probably just update while I have everything torn apart and accessible anyway. And hey, maybe I can get the person doing the install to remove these presumably live wires I have sticking out of some holes in the wall under the sink (see: the picture I posted last time) while they have the wall open, since they worry me a bit, and I fear electricity.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Newer Bosch dishwashers have what they call CrystalDry instead of the pop-open thing. It removes moisture from dishes by cycling air through a bunch of desiccant crystals (which also releases heat) and back to the space in the dishwasher. The dishwasher renews the desiccant as part of the wash cycle by heating it up to drive out the water, which condenses into the water being sprayed around in the tub.

Apparently it works fantastically right up until there is slightly more water caught in nooks of washed dishes than the desiccant can handle at which point everything is left kind of uniformly not-dry because there isn't any ability to extract water and there's no more heat.

The whirlpool that I have uses a fan to circulate room through the heated tub during the dry cycle and does a great job, better than cracking open the door.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
My kitchen area is driving me nuts.

Wood or wood laminate floor is kind of ok, but starting to get gaps.
Then there is a tile floor in the kitchen area and I dislike it because it is kind of cold.

The kitchen cabinets are decent.
They don't need to be refinished. Maybe new fasteners, that's it.

However, it's got those square countertop tiles that were popular in the late 80s, late 90s, early 2000s.
The backsplash is also some poorly done DIY.
And the walls are a bit too dark for my taste.

So I guess my question is...
when remodelling a kitchen (everything except the cabinets)
Where the hell do I start?

Strip back splash -> Repaint -> Strip counter tiles -> New counter and back splash and sink -> New floor and trim?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Senor P. posted:

My kitchen area is driving me nuts.

Wood or wood laminate floor is kind of ok, but starting to get gaps.
Then there is a tile floor in the kitchen area and I dislike it because it is kind of cold.

The kitchen cabinets are decent.
They don't need to be refinished. Maybe new fasteners, that's it.

However, it's got those square countertop tiles that were popular in the late 80s, late 90s, early 2000s.
The backsplash is also some poorly done DIY.
And the walls are a bit too dark for my taste.

So I guess my question is...
when remodelling a kitchen (everything except the cabinets)
Where the hell do I start?

Strip back splash -> Repaint -> Strip counter tiles -> New counter and back splash and sink -> New floor and trim?

Don't paint until you've completed demo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crawlspace looks fantastic now, no more sagging fiberglass batts so I can clean up the random coax runs and such.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is exceptionally satisfying.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
Want to live in that crawlspace, just slide all over that smooth floor

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you ever need to do work down there, just get naked and butter up. You'll slide from one end to the other like you're on the space station.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It is rather attractive. Good job by you!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Shifty Pony posted:

Crawlspace looks fantastic now, no more sagging fiberglass batts so I can clean up the random coax runs and such.

Oh man I wish mine was that caliber. What did it run you, if you don't mind answering?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawnie posted:

This is in the instruction manual she threw away. There are various things you can customize including dry time, rinse aid amount, stuff like that. It's like an old VCR as far as programming it, but if you are willing to follow the 3 steps in the instructions and not panic when the display says "P0-5" or something because it's literally spelled out it's super easy.

skybolt_1 posted:

In the infinite wisdom of enshittification, the only way you can set a delay on the cycle is to start the cycle through the Bosch app.

Which exact model do you have? Because that's a call support and tell them "I don't have wifi. I don't have a smart phone. How do I get all the features?" nuisance time.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

If you ever need to do work down there, just get naked and butter up. You'll slide from one end to the other like you're on the space station.

Is that what the 55gal drums of lube are for?

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Which exact model do you have? Because that's a call support and tell them "I don't have wifi. I don't have a smart phone. How do I get all the features?" nuisance time.

SHS43CF5N/01. I did log a case with them and was told that the only way to run on a schedule (i.e. anytime between 8 pm and 4 pm, the expensive time for electricity) was through the app. C'est la vie.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We'll see if it works tonight, but I pulled up the manual for the Bosch 800*, so here's a primer on three settings that would seem popular. These may not be available on all models. I've tried to set mine to show symbols on the floor (rather than just the red dot).

Programming keys from the control bar:

The features:

and the instructions:

Intensive drying
The final rinse uses a higher temperature which improves the drying result. The cycle time may increase slightly. (Caution if utensils are delicate!) This feature has two settings:
1. Open the door.
2. Press the On/Off button (1).
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) indicates d:x (x can be any number).
4. Release both buttons.
5. Press function key A until the display (3) indicates the factory set value d:00
6. Press function key C to switch the Extra dry feature on d:01 or off d:00
7. Press Start button (6) to save setting.

The Cycle Completion Signal
The wash cycle has ended when the display (3) reads 0:00. If the signal tone has been set, the wash cycle end is also indicated by a buzzer.
To change the signal volume:
1. Open the door.
2. Press the On/Off button (1)
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) indicates d:0x (x can be any number). Release both buttons.
4. Press function key A until the display shows b:02.
5. Press function key C. Each time the button is pressed the set value increases by one level; when it reaches the value b:03, the display jumps back to b:00 (off).
6. Press Start button (6) to save the setting.

TimeLight® (Optical display while the wash cycle is running) While wash cycle is running, an optical display (time remaining alternating with cycle indicator images) is projected onto the floor under the appliance door.

You can switch the optical display on (5:01)‚ or off (5:00).
To change the setting:
1. Open the door.
2. Press On/Off button (1)
3. Hold down function key A and press Start button (6) until the display (3) shows H:0x or d:0x (x can be any number).
4. Release both buttons. The light above function key A flashes and the display (3) shows the factory set value.
5. Press function key A until the display (3) shows the factory set value 5:01.
6. Press function key C to switch between 5:00 and 5:01.
7. Press Start button (6) to save setting.

*other models by number:
SHP87P****, SHX87P****, SHXM98***,
SHXM88****, SHPM88****, SHVM88****,
SHPM78****, SHP878****, SHXM78****,
SHVM78****, SHX878****, SHV878

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 3, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Eason the Fifth posted:

Oh man I wish mine was that caliber. What did it run you, if you don't mind answering?

About $15k for the following scope:

- remove old insulation and vapor barrier, raking ground of larger rocks and debris in crawl space.
- seal foundation vents and wall penetrations
- Clean mold/fungal on joists and beams, hand applied, negative pressure in crawlspace during application.
- R10 foam board on crawl space walls (nailed and foam sealed at all seams) w/ 2” inspection gap at the top of foundation
- R10 foam board along the foundation ground perimeter extending 24” from
wall
- R19 fiberglass batt in rim joist pockets
- air gap sealing at sill plates around foundations
perimeter
- 12 mil woven liner on the
floor area of the crawl space and around piers, 12" seam overlap, 25 year material warranty
- Aprilaire E100 dehumidifier, hung mount with discharge routing to exterior wall with outward sloping grade
- Vinyl crawlspace door with vinyl trim
weatherstripping and insulation.
- dimple board under the liner at Crawl Space entrance
- 20A circuit w/ GFCI breaker to dehumidifier outlet
- 20A circuit to new exterior GFCI outlet at exterior front wall

Plus permitting/inspections.

About 1200sqft of crawlspace. They were actually the highest bid (excluding the one that was trying to pull the "we need both you and your partner present to discuss the plans" high pressure tactic) but their no-nonsense professionalism, consistently glowing reviews, and emphasis on not mass fumigating the space which I knew heavily leaked into the living space won me out.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 3, 2024

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Shifty Pony posted:

Hell yeah! Encapsulating my crawlspace was one of the best things we did and wish I had done it when we first bought. Going into your crawlspace in shorts and a t shirt and coming out clean is a godsend compared to coveralls and coming out covered in mud.

Unfortunately our liner has gotten a bit torn up from having all our ducts replaced and our foundation underpinned, so it isn't as perfect as it used to be. But still beats dirt/mud.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Shifty Pony posted:

Love this. My crawlspace is hosed and I'd love to encapsulate it but I need to resolve why it keeps filling with water first (clay soil, poo poo water table, but there's something else contributing I haven't been able to figure out).

It's also full of abandoned ductwork and all the insulation has fallen, look forward to dumping all my spare cash into it over the next few years.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skybolt_1 posted:

Want to live in that crawlspace, just slide all over that smooth floor

And check out the bottom left of the image; free gum!

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
That is one sexy crawlspace, hopefully mine will look that good someday soon.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

That is one sexy crawlspace, hopefully mine will look that good someday soon.

God, we are all so old now. Who needs DPPH when we've got CRAWLSPACES, BABY! :lol:

Looks fabulous OP. It satisfies a strange part of my lizard-brain I didn't know I had, somewhere around whatever part of my brain appreciates well-done wire organization.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

Who needs DPPH when we've got CRAWLSPACES

New thread title

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm glad other people also have the "oh that's nice" response and that I'm not uniquely strange.

The floors on the 1st floor are noticeably more comfortable to walk on now, and a drafty area of the family room which I had suspected was getting leakage from the crawlspace isn't cold anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I’m extremely jealous of that setup, Shifty Pony, our crawlspace is ~16-1700 square feet and I’m just gonna guess it’d be $FuckYou to encapsulate it because lol Southern California