Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

skylined! posted:

I had no idea that that screed about nothing of here being of value etc was a nuclear waste storage facility deterrent meant for some civilization 10,000 years into the future or whatever to read and understand that it was not safe.

Oh it's more entertaining than that. That entire screed was just the mood setting for "what are we trying to communicate here"; the actual suggestions they got in return are much weirder.

quote:

(...)
Tradeoffs with this approach include:
1) An atomic priesthood would gain political influence

quote:

(...)
These radiation cats would change significantly in color when they came near radioactive emissions and serve as living indicators of danger.

To transport the message, the importance of the cats would need to be set in the collective awareness through fairy tales and myths. Those fairy tales and myths in turn could be transmitted through poetry, music and painting.

and relevant for this thread:

quote:

The Sandia report explored designs for physical markers which conveyed the concepts of dangerous emanations, shapes that evoke bodily harm, and the concept of "shunned land" that appears destroyed or poisoned.[1] The designs suggested included:

Landscape of Thorns
A mass of many irregularly-sized spikes protruding from the ground in all directions.
Spike Field
A series of extremely large spikes emerging from the ground at different angles.
Spikes Bursting Through Grid
A large square grid pattern across the site, through which large spikes protrude at various angles.
Menacing Earthworks
Large mounds of earth shaped like lightning bolts, emanating from the edges of a square site. The shapes would be strikingly visible from the air, or from artificial hills constructed around the site.
Black Hole
An enormous slab of basalt or black-dyed concrete, rendering the land uninhabitable and unfarmable.
Rubble Landscape
A large square-shaped pile of dynamited rock, which over time would still appear anomalous and give a sense of something having been destroyed.
Forbidding Blocks
A network of hundreds of house-sized stone blocks, dyed black and arranged in an irregular square grid, suggesting a network of "streets" which feel ominous and lead nowhere. The blocks are intended to make a large area entirely unsuitable for farming or other future use.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Computer viking posted:

Oh it's more entertaining than that. That entire screed was just the mood setting for "what are we trying to communicate here"; the actual suggestions they got in return are much weirder.

Most of those sound like a kickin' rad setting for a few rounds of paintball.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

the yeti posted:

I can’t conceive of the kind of brain worms that would lead you to think a celebrity endorsement means anything

You're not wrong, but an endorsement from an internationally famous contractor who's famous for fixing things that inspectors missed and other contractors screwed up seems like it should mean something.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
he only has an eye for weird stuff and misses the normal stuff like bad outlets

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Computer viking posted:

It's all part of the sustained scaremongering campaign to prevent nuclear power so we use more sustainable sources oil.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Say what you want about the policy of disposing of the waste products of energy generation in the atmosphere, but no one is likely to forget about it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ironhead posted:

I did what now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufC7eX7GCDE

I also regret to inform you that you are dead?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scarodactyl posted:

It's all part of the sustained scaremongering campaign to prevent nuclear power so we use more sustainable sources oil.

Is this a joke, or are you saying this was genuinely the purpose?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is this a joke, or are you saying this was genuinely the purpose?

Handwringing about nuclear waste and how it is dangerous for tens of thousands of years has been a convenient excuse to bog down waste processing and thus indirectly building of new power plants, at least. As far as I understand it, you can have "kills you if you get close" and "half life of millennia" but not both - so digging a deep hole somewhere decently stable and backfilling it afterwards is extremely unlikely to be a problem.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Computer viking posted:

This all sounds cool as hell.

If people are gonna film themselves getting in the water under Chernobyl then a few spokes aren't going to stop anyone, but we should do it anyway because it's like something out of Halo.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Nitrox posted:

Why don't you attach it then?

Due to an unrelated drainpipe from the upstairs bathrooms leaking that whole half of my kitchen is currently awaiting demolition. That one I can't really blame on Gary because no one had any way of knowing that was brewing until my cabinets started leaking one day. Also there is no wood left where the washer would normally secure because Gary half assed it so much it kind of destroyed all of the woodwork around the washer. Part of the counter is just bare tile attached to hopes and dreams.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Don't you just adjust the legs until the dishwasher sits up against whatever is above it? Actually screwing it in is just a bonus.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Dunno-Lars posted:

Don't you just adjust the legs until the dishwasher sits up against whatever is above it? Actually screwing it in is just a bonus.

Most dishwashers will ship with a set of brackets that could be mounted on either top or sides. If drilling into the countertop is not an option, you could also buy a bracket that bridges the gap between cabinets. Freestanding dishwashers exist, but this clearly isn't it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dunno-Lars posted:

That gets you 95% of the way. Typically the upper edge is secured to the underside of the counter because opening the door unbalances it forward. You don't want the unit moving around.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Say what you want about the policy of disposing of the waste products of energy generation in the atmosphere, but no one is likely to forget about it.

Coal plant burnt ash emissions are cool cause in addition to the Carbon and Sulfur they also emit more radiation than (shielded) nuclear waste or living next to a nuke plant!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Computer viking posted:

Handwringing about nuclear waste and how it is dangerous for tens of thousands of years has been a convenient excuse to bog down waste processing and thus indirectly building of new power plants, at least. As far as I understand it, you can have "kills you if you get close" and "half life of millennia" but not both - so digging a deep hole somewhere decently stable and backfilling it afterwards is extremely unlikely to be a problem.

This is true, but the post I was replying to seemed to be about the conscious intent of the entire project, not just the result. As in, the project was a Trojan horse rather than hippies not understanding radiation.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 1, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PainterofCrap posted:

That gets you 95% of the way. Typically the upper edge is secured to the underside of the counter because opening the door unbalances it forward. You don't want the unit moving around.

Removing my dishwasher and then attempting to open the door to replace an o-ring was super fun!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is true, but the post I was replying to seemed to be about the conscious intent of the entire project, not just the result. As in, the project was a Trojan horse rather than hippies not understanding radiation.

Both of them plus actual Soviet disinformation programs

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't hate it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wesleywillis posted:

I don't hate it.

this guy has chipboard for brains

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

I don't hate it.

Post/username combo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can see why some people might like the aesthetics of chipboard, but it's not for me.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can see why some people might like the aesthetics of chipboard, but it's not for me.

It does really give the room that "squatted in" look

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
reminds me of home. chipboard denigrators will share a pit in hell with HoA bored members, my mother. and various other pearl clutchers

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I knew I liked you for a reason.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Just because you can do anything with epoxy doesn't mean you should.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bet you could get p. high on the fumes from that during a house fire

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"I want my house to look like I live inside of a gigantic Shredded Wheat."

-- an idiot or whatever

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If you do the epoxy wrong it'll be frosted at least

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Sash! posted:

"I want my house to look like I live inside of a gigantic Shredded Wheat."

-- an idiot or whatever

I was thinking more like a floor texture for like a chicken coop in a PS2 game.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

LonsomeSon posted:

Bet you could get p. high on the fumes from that during a house fire

In general it is not a real good idea to breathe in smoke from a house fire.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

shoeberto posted:

I was thinking more like a floor texture for like a chicken coop in a PS2 game.

just replace it with something else in the WAD file if you don't like it

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This all sounds cool as hell.

If people are gonna film themselves getting in the water under Chernobyl then a few spokes aren't going to stop anyone, but we should do it anyway because it's like something out of Halo.

When my cat (that I always take swimming with me) changes color, I'm definitely getting out of the pool.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wheatpuppy posted:

In general it is not a real good idea to breathe in smoke from a house fire.

:frogout: of here with your nanny state advice that no one asked for

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the interior design thread:

Youth Decay posted:

Oh my god McMansion Hell found a truly ridiculous house

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Computer viking posted:

I always thought this was interesting in a "how do we talk to aliens" sort of way, but it's also useless in any practical sense. There's no way that a warning sign in a dozen languages isn't going to be understandable to someone. Even in some distant Mad Max dystopian future they'll probably still have legends of the bombs that killed everyone and destroyed everything and have at least one historian or scientist that can read something or recognize a radiation symbol. What dye were they planning on using that will outlast every written language on Earth for the dyed concrete?

My favorite suggestion is "just bury it and don't put up any warning so nobody will actively look for it!" Maybe that'll be useful in a very specific circumstance 10,000 years from now, but it's going to be a big problem in about 50 years when the land gets sold off and someone drills a well into a nuclear waste site.

Yes, I know Mad Max was originally after a non nuclear war.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

kid sinister posted:

Wow, some architect managed to make every other house on her site look sane and normal. That's loving wild.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

I can't even lump this in as a McMansion of any sort even if it contains all of the elements. McMansions happen when what peope peeceive as architectural markers of wealth are placed thoughtlessly. I think the architect behind this thing had an actual reason for every detail. It really looks like maybe it is meant to convey the notion of modern homes being built from elements of the past, and literally ON the world of the past.

Let's put it this way: if I found the architect behind the Luxury Homes being build on nearby farmland, I'd want to kick him or her down a flight of stairs. THIS architect I'd buy a drink and talk to.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That’s where they get you, your only winning interaction with an architect is to tell them “here let me show you an architects-only feature in this build site” before kicking them facefirst into an open elevator shaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Put all of the nuclear waste somewhere conspicuous in an unnatural formation. This way the future cavemen can associate its weird shape with the painful balding death plague and develop a helpful myth to not go to the oddly shaped place lest you also cough blood and die.