Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pillman and the car crash etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like we will have another One Night Only Return of Tuesday Nitro as I have another lost WCW special.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

No that was Jim Neidhart

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

algebra testes posted:

Yeah the more you learn about him the more tragic the injuries become really.

The first match I saw that I realized wrestling could be an art form was Pillman and Liger at Superbrawl 2 I think it was.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Are you asking or just living the owl life?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

algebra testes posted:

Pillman and the car crash etc.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if you were talking about vicious or pillman

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Looks like we will have another One Night Only Return of Tuesday Nitro as I have another lost WCW special.
Have we located Cheatham?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sid. That broken leg. :qq:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
12/9/1989- The Minnesota Wrecking Crew is reunited. ARN IS BACK

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Starcade 1989 sucked. Maybe 2 good matches. But they buried Doom and Muta.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone who saw Ice Train at the start of Tuesday Nitro was psyched for his return as MI Smooth, sad news.

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1749889488313098728

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Godspeed, Mr. Houge. You were smooth.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Ice Train ruled, sad news :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Everyone who saw Ice Train at the start of Tuesday Nitro was psyched for his return as MI Smooth, sad news.

https://twitter.com/WGNRadioSports/status/1749979493874204714

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

i only learned he was still alive like 2 years ago after thinking he had died ages ago and now he's really gone. RIP

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

this is sad news i liked ice train but that headline made me lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Rick Steiner's roos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TGoRo5uMwk

After the terrible starrcade 89 I've started the 90s. It isn't too bad to start. They are trying to get some storylines going but most of them seem to be happening at house shows or not on the flagship program so that is a bit rough.

I'm disappointed Steamboat, Funk, and Muta were wasted like they were and are seemingly gone now. I know Dr. Death leaves soon which sucks.

Cactus Jack is great and I'm glad he and Sullivan are joining together.

Sting in the horsemen is weird. The horsemen are sorta baby faces at the moment but I feel a heel turn is going to happen and something will happen with sting.

Tag team is a bit of a fun mess right now. You have Doom, Road Warriors, Skyscrappers, fabulous freebirds, midnight express, rock'n'roll express, dynamic dudes, and the steiners all existing. I don't think there will ever be a tag team roster better than this.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gonna be a lot of headlines if they keep reusing this one for everyone that wrestled Austin.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's a weird but semi-understandable thing for obits for people with limited mainstream success/exposure in their field. You see it for actors and musicians a lot, where you could have a decades-long career in a non-hitmaking band or a combination of theater and television roles but if it's the first thing that jumps out to someone your obit turns into GUY WHO PLAYED BASS ON TWO ROLLING STONES SONGS IN THE 70S DIES or "SOPRANOS ACTOR* DEAD AT 62"

* he played one of the waiters at Artie's restaurant across two episodes

There's obviously very little to (in both real life and in the article) to say about how Steve Austin and Ice Train's careers intertwined besides 'they wrestled once in 1993'. But if you are a newspaper reader and your wrestling interest/knowledge is very baseline, enough to maybe click/read an article about a wrestler passing, you know who Steve Austin is and that gives you a sort of basic concept of when Ice Train wrestled and that he did it at a level high enough that he wrestled Steve Austin (and as the article also points out, the Steiners, DDP, Marc Mero, and Ron Simmons).

The article's opening line also says he went by "MS Smooth" in WCW so it is not without problems.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1753099688893460713?t=GGOjYtb1MD7eTf4vqxxWSg&s=19

Well that would explain his disappearance.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What a weird thing to say

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Please keep Cornette content in the Cornette thread we don't need his homophobic poo poo in here.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Back in my day wrestlers were on WAY more drugs than these modern day PUSSIES and that was a GOOD THING because REASONS

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
corneh....

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MassRafTer posted:

Please keep Cornette content in the Cornette thread we don't need his homophobic poo poo in here.

Where is that?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Where is that?

here

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Thanks.

I can't believe sting blew out his knee at clash 10

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I can't believe sting blew out his knee at clash 10

Yeah, it pretty much derailed all of WCW's main event plans.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it pretty much derailed all of WCW's main event plans.

it takes him a while to get his groove back too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Suplex Liberace posted:

it takes him a while to get his groove back too.

And while he still has good, even great matches, later Sting does lose a step but it doesn't show as much because when he gets back he's in there with people like Rude and Vader.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

cactus too. Sting rules

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
here lies sting, he never scored

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who were Sting's opponents up 'til Cactus that made him such a breath of fresh air for Sting?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its prety much the horsemen and black scorpion iirc. 90 and 91 were just creativly bad years too so that didnt help him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It sucks that Clash 10 is essentially Dr. death's last wcw match for years. What a waste.

Suplex Liberace posted:

Its prety much the horsemen and black scorpion iirc. 90 and 91 were just creativly bad years too so that didnt help him.

Who was in charge of booking and story during this period?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 7, 2024

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i think a half dozen different people? After George Scott, Flair is booking his own stuff because at this point he is untouchable due to being Ted Turners favorite wrestler. There is a committee with JR, Eddie Gilbert, Ole Anderson, Kevin Sullivan, and maybe cornette booking everything else. Then it's Ole and Dusty in "charge" from 90-91 but the people afore mentioned all have varring input. I dont remember if watts and frey did any booking while they were in charge of the company. Its very muddy and confusing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

i think a half dozen different people? After George Scott, Flair is booking his own stuff because at this point he is untouchable due to being Ted Turners favorite wrestler. There is a committee with JR, Eddie Gilbert, Ole Anderson, Kevin Sullivan, and maybe cornette booking everything else. Then it's Ole and Dusty in "charge" from 90-91 but the people afore mentioned all have varring input. I dont remember if watts and frey did any booking while they were in charge of the company. Its very muddy and confusing

Were they just out of ideas? A lot of those guys were behind some decent storylines.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

It sucks that Clash 10 is essentially Dr. death's last wcw match for years. What a waste.

Yeah, but it means he was free to win a squash match on the first ever UWF TV episode, beating Davey Meltzer. And we also got the Miracle Violence Collection of Doc & Gordy almost instantly made the All Japan Tag champs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but it means he was free to win a squash match on the first ever UWF TV episode, beating Davey Meltzer. And we also got the Miracle Violence Collection of Doc & Gordy almost instantly made the All Japan Tag champs

In terms of high quality wrestling we are almost blessed he didn't wrestle in WCW very much given what we got from him instead.