Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
obviously, they're waiting for bloodborne kart to be completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

obviously, they're waiting for bloodborne kart to be completed.

Yeah, so they can demand it not be called that literally days before it was planned to be released :v:

https://www.ign.com/articles/bloodborne-kart-creator-says-she-will-scrub-the-branding-off-after-sony-reached-out

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Begemot posted:

Yeah, so they can demand it not be called that literally days before it was planned to be released :v:

https://www.ign.com/articles/bloodborne-kart-creator-says-she-will-scrub-the-branding-off-after-sony-reached-out

So they didn't forget they own Bloodborne after all

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hows Dying Light 2 holding up? I beat the first one but #2 was catching flack on release.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Black Noise posted:

Hows Dying Light 2 holding up? I beat the first one but #2 was catching flack on release.

It's worth playing if you liked DL1. The story is atrocious and should probably be ignored/skipped (you aren't missing much) but the combat feels great and the game's gotten a lot of improvements since the shaky launch including a revamp of the combat feel/ragdolls.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Black Noise posted:

Only worth it on a deep discount.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I've been meaning to get into Baldur's Gate 3 but I simply did not have any time last year for it, knowing how huge a time commitment it is going to be.

Well, this year is different for a variety of reasons, and I have free time. However, since Larian based BG3 so heavily on their previous games, I kinda felt like I needed to check out the Divinity: Original Sin games first, just to get acquainted with their style and systems because I played BG1/2 like... decades ago.

I started DOS1 and really had no idea what I was doing, rolled classes kinda randomly for my Source Hunters and found two companions. Messed around a bunch in the first area for twenty hours but hit absolute brick walls in terms of difficulty even while playing on the game's normal mode. Now, obviously some of this is due to me having less-than-perfect class compositions and skill setups but I feel like the fights in this game are highly tuned for specific synergies - maybe I'm wrong? I know that exploiting the environment is a big part of the games overall but I don't know, some of the fights just felt downright unfair, like the sunbathing necromancer guarding the beach cave that goes invisible and summons tons of minions (which I found impossible to beat) or the robot automaton with the remote gimmick (which requires you to stand in close proximity and blindly waste action points to disable its instakill abilities without knowing if you're in range). There's also the undead king's court and the graveyard guy that summons tons of bombs that instakill me. A lot of the early fights in this game felt like weird gimmicks that I couldn't figure out.

The thing that made me drop the game was when I got to the pirate cave and ran into some kind of crab abomination boss with crushing melee and ranged attacks, destroying my group in one or two turns. I managed to cheese him by positioning a single character in a nearby shack's doorway, killing him with ranged attacks... but clearly this was not the intended solution and I had no idea how I was supposed to kill this guy in an even fight. I felt like I had no other means of earning experience after that to level up so I was stuck.

So instead I turned to DOS2 - and it is so much better in every way. The origin characters are fun, combat encounters feel tough but fair in most instances (again, playing on normal) and the plot is actually interesting. Being able to freely respec however you want is great and saved me from having made a bad main character when paired with the origin companions I chose. The persuasion system is a little odd but better than the rock-paper-scissors stuff in the first one. I think the changes they made to armor are good. I'm 50 hours in at this point and have reached the Nameless Isle. I was really impressed by how complicated and dense the previous areas of the game have been, with all sorts of hidden interactions and secrets. The first area in DOS1 had some of this too but there's more layers here.

It is a little silly how the origin characters tend to share the same key characters they need to interact with for their personal stories (like the merchant outside Fort Joy or Roost at the sawmill), but other than that I don't have much negative to say about this game, mostly. I do think level differences are still really harsh, especially in the second big area where I ran into some boss fights that I felt I had to bail on (Mordus, Aeterna and Ryker) and revisit a couple levels later each, but it was still doable. I've had a couple of fights where I barely survived by using tons of scrolls and potions (the Blackpits oil field) and it was really fun.

TL;DR: I've been enjoying my time with Divinity: Original Sin 2.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Every single battle in OS1 was too hard.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Eh it's fine I'm muddling through without any issues, couple of the key boss battles needed some effort, but

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

ErrEff posted:

Greetings fellow “just now playing DOS2 for the first time”. Ive been having a lot of fun playing it multiplayer though it’s tough to get the team together consistently

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Black Noise posted:

it was terrrriiiible on release but I just picked it up again recently and it's much, much better. It keeps eating into the time of other games I intended to play

the story is indeed god awful but the main character is such a brainless ditz that it's kind of endearing

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ErrEff posted:

I've been meaning to get into Baldur's Gate 3 but I simply did not have any time last year for it, knowing how huge a time commitment it is going to be.

Well, this year is different for a variety of reasons, and I have free time. However, since Larian based BG3 so heavily on their previous games, I kinda felt like I needed to check out the Divinity: Original Sin games first, just to get acquainted with their style and systems because I played BG1/2 like... decades ago.

I started DOS1 and really had no idea what I was doing, rolled classes kinda randomly for my Source Hunters and found two companions. Messed around a bunch in the first area for twenty hours but hit absolute brick walls in terms of difficulty even while playing on the game's normal mode. Now, obviously some of this is due to me having less-than-perfect class compositions and skill setups but I feel like the fights in this game are highly tuned for specific synergies - maybe I'm wrong? I know that exploiting the environment is a big part of the games overall but I don't know, some of the fights just felt downright unfair, like the sunbathing necromancer guarding the beach cave that goes invisible and summons tons of minions (which I found impossible to beat) or the robot automaton with the remote gimmick (which requires you to stand in close proximity and blindly waste action points to disable its instakill abilities without knowing if you're in range). There's also the undead king's court and the graveyard guy that summons tons of bombs that instakill me. A lot of the early fights in this game felt like weird gimmicks that I couldn't figure out.

The thing that made me drop the game was when I got to the pirate cave and ran into some kind of crab abomination boss with crushing melee and ranged attacks, destroying my group in one or two turns. I managed to cheese him by positioning a single character in a nearby shack's doorway, killing him with ranged attacks... but clearly this was not the intended solution and I had no idea how I was supposed to kill this guy in an even fight. I felt like I had no other means of earning experience after that to level up so I was stuck.

So instead I turned to DOS2 - and it is so much better in every way. The origin characters are fun, combat encounters feel tough but fair in most instances (again, playing on normal) and the plot is actually interesting. Being able to freely respec however you want is great and saved me from having made a bad main character when paired with the origin companions I chose. The persuasion system is a little odd but better than the rock-paper-scissors stuff in the first one. I think the changes they made to armor are good. I'm 50 hours in at this point and have reached the Nameless Isle. I was really impressed by how complicated and dense the previous areas of the game have been, with all sorts of hidden interactions and secrets. The first area in DOS1 had some of this too but there's more layers here.

It is a little silly how the origin characters tend to share the same key characters they need to interact with for their personal stories (like the merchant outside Fort Joy or Roost at the sawmill), but other than that I don't have much negative to say about this game, mostly. I do think level differences are still really harsh, especially in the second big area where I ran into some boss fights that I felt I had to bail on (Mordus, Aeterna and Ryker) and revisit a couple levels later each, but it was still doable. I've had a couple of fights where I barely survived by using tons of scrolls and potions (the Blackpits oil field) and it was really fun.

you need a special kind of brain to enjoy DOS1, it's about as user unfriendly as a game can get and still be considerable playable

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What’s the verdict on Granblue: Relink? I forgot it came out last night. It was immediately review bombed because the devs made shorts for the women an inch longer or whatever. Really got a bunch of weirdos worked up. The positive percentage has been slowly climbing which is a good sign. Regardless, I trust most of you over random review sites.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Black Noise posted:

I played Dead Island 2 before playing Dying Light 2, and I wish it had been in reverse because Dead Island 2 is so much better. Dying Light 2 just felt very janky to me during movement / parkour. So much of the game got frustrating to play because of the movement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Begemot posted:

if they’re not renaming it bloodbone they’re a coward

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Black Noise posted:

I'm a big fan of DL1, having played through it multiple times. I bought DL2 on launch and played for maybe 10 hours before dropping it because something about the combat felt off, and the progression felt way too slow compared to the first game. Maybe a year after the big overhaul that was supposed to improve everything, I played through again and had the same complaint, but a lot of people feel that it's much improved from the launch version. I'd wait for a big discount.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I said come in! posted:

I played Dead Island 2 before playing Dying Light 2, and I wish it had been in reverse because Dead Island 2 is so much better. Dying Light 2 just felt very janky to me during movement / parkour. So much of the game got frustrating to play because of the movement.

I will say having done this in the opposite order I do think DI2 has a real chunkiness to the combat that DL2 is missing. I might agree that the combat feel in DI2 was far better, but you do lose something without the parkour.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
New Fanatical bundle is out: Platinum Collection for February

Coupla neat things here and there: Aeterna Noctus and Summum Aeterna, Ziggurat II, Star Renegades, Scourgebringer, Maneater, Cookie Cutter, and so on.

Ziggurat II is something I'm definitely looking at, for the others that I don't already have, hmm, maybe try out Final Vendetta and Dust & Neon? Maybe Diluvian Ultra? I dunno.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm a big fan of DL1, having played through it multiple times. I bought DL2 on launch and played for maybe 10 hours before dropping it because something about the combat felt off, and the progression felt way too slow compared to the first game. Maybe a year after the big overhaul that was supposed to improve everything, I played through again and had the same complaint, but a lot of people feel that it's much improved from the launch version. I'd wait for a big discount.

Just want to say that this was exactly my experience too.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I enjoyed Scourgebringer, but only beat it once. Platforms like Celeste, sounds like DOOM 2016 :black101:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

couple more demos that will be in the next fest:

Lightyear Frontier
Ereban: Shadow Legacy
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU
Train Valley World
BLUD
Rusty's Retirement
Rotwood (Klei)
Harold Halibut
Islands of Insight

other news:

- the free 2023 game Moonring (basically neon coffee break Ultima) now has Steam Deck support

- the next Metro game is called Metro Awakening and is a VR title

- Children of Morta is getting a board game adaptation

- Dread Delusion now has cloud save support (it's amazing just how many indie games still don't have cloud saves on Steam)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 2, 2024

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just played the Lightyear Frontier demo, it's a crafting farming game where you have a mech and you can shoot seeds in to the farming plot with your seed shooter mech gun. It was actually a pretty short demo and most of the playable area was walled off, but looks like it could be decent if you like crafting / gathering type games + a mech. It's also super colorful

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

Lightyear Frontier
Train Valley World
BLUD
Rusty's Retirement
Rotwood (Klei)
Harold Halibut

other news:

- the free 2023 game Moonring (basically neon coffee break Ultima) now has Steam Deck support

- Dread Delusion now has cloud save support (it's amazing just how many indie games still don't have cloud saves on Steam)

Huge recommendation for Moonring if you have any affinity at all for Ultima or old-school CRPGs in general. It really captures the spirit of the games of the era it's inspired by, but has a modern sensibility and good respect for the player's time. Everything just feels really snappy, and the combat is pretty fast-paced for a turn-based game. It's a really special synthesis and I cannot believe that it's free. I hope the dev makes another one soon.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FutureCop posted:

New Fanatical bundle is out: Platinum Collection for February

Coupla neat things here and there: Aeterna Noctus and Summum Aeterna, Ziggurat II, Star Renegades, Scourgebringer, Maneater, Cookie Cutter, and so on.

Ziggurat II is something I'm definitely looking at, for the others that I don't already have, hmm, maybe try out Final Vendetta and Dust & Neon? Maybe Diluvian Ultra? I dunno.

Maneater and Luck Be a Landlord are very good

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ErrEff posted:

It's very, very good. That said, I think most people agree that it plateaus somewhere in the first half (and you're currently crossing into the second) -- it's still really solid and there are some great bits in the back end, but IMO quest and zone design is never as good as it is in Act I and Act II. Which is probably ok because those acts alone are still significantly longer than most other games lol

Baldur's Gate has 3 acts, and I know some people felt that way about the third (not helped by some bugs and scripting errors at launch that I think have been ironed out by now) but I did not. Gameplay wise it's ambitious in a totally different way than the other two acts, and I was hooked enough by the story for the payoffs in Act III to sufficiently distract me from it maybe not being as fleshed out as the other two. There are definitely some things I missed about the gameplay systems from Divinity and disliked about DND combat, but at the end of the day BG3 will be a hell of a ride if you're coming in hot off of D:OS2, glad you're having fun. Lots of games out there I really love but those two definitely make the list of "games I wish I could forget and experience for the first time"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rusty posted:

I just played the Lightyear Frontier demo, it's a crafting farming game where you have a mech and you can shoot seeds in to the farming plot with your seed shooter mech gun. It was actually a pretty short demo and most of the playable area was walled off, but looks like it could be decent if you like crafting / gathering type games + a mech. It's also super colorful

This is going to be on gamepass when it releases, haven't tried the demo but it looks neat.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Guess the game by what it's similar to!

:stare:

ngl keep talking but a competitive arena game like tetris 99 sounds fun

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

This is going to be on gamepass when it releases, haven't tried the demo but it looks neat.

They took my idea!

:hellyeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more demos that are coming to Next Fest:

Adaptory
Bore Blasters (Fates of Ort dev)
Chicken Police 2: Into the Hive <-- i mentioned this one before but it's out now)
Children of the Sun (Devolver)
Cozynauts
Cygni: All Guns Blazing (Konami, KeelWorks)
Deep Under
Deer Hunt
Demon Spore
Duck Detective
Fight Crab 2
Madzik (dev of Sunday Gold)
Marron's Day (by npckc, dev of queer VNs A Year of Springs and One Night Hot Springs)
Menace from the Deep
MindCop
NecroSmith 2
No Love Lost (by the dev of now-delisted Lemnis Gate)
Regency Solitaire 2 (now there's a blast from the past)
Shapez 2
Wizarre (worms. it's literally Worms)

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

what is the deal with farworld pioneers? how and why does it get the fans going so hard when its a pixel graphics game? i thought it was the thing where a game will go at like a million fps so i turned on a frame limit and its still doing it. and it some how takes a weirdly long time to load the main menu and new game customization. i was hoping for a starbound but not awful kinda thing but it seems like absolute trash on first impression

edit: played for 20 minutes game seemed kinda neat cause you can make the NPCs build and mine and harvest for you. then a raider showed up killed me, my NPCs then me again over and over every time i respawned. picking up the items you drop on death does not put them back into your hotbar so it kept killing me before i could equip my knife again.

im not a big fan of gamepass but i got a free month and have been using it to basically demo games. im glad farworld was on there otherwise i absolutely would have spent the $20 or whatever on it.

Kly fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 2, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I realize it's a naive hope (or copium as the kids call it) but Sony suddenly deciding to crack down on Bloodborne Kart COULD be them clearing the air for an incoming remake/rerelease. Or it could just be them being dicks and they'll go right back to not giving a gently caress. :iiam:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there a spot where you can change the time of day as Kiryu in LaD: Infinite Wealth's finale?

e: it's upstairs in Survive Bar

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Kly posted:

what is the deal with farworld pioneers? how and why does it get the fans going so hard when its a pixel graphics game? i thought it was the thing where a game will go at like a million fps so i turned on a frame limit and its still doing it. and it some how takes a weirdly long time to load the main menu and new game customization. i was hoping for a starbound but not awful kinda thing but it seems like absolute trash on first impression

edit: played for 20 minutes game seemed kinda neat cause you can make the NPCs build and mine and harvest for you. then a raider showed up killed me, my NPCs then me again over and over every time i respawned. picking up the items you drop on death does not put them back into your hotbar so it kept killing me before i could equip my knife again.

im not a big fan of gamepass but i got a free month and have been using it to basically demo games. im glad farworld was on there otherwise i absolutely would have spent the $20 or whatever on it.

The devs (who post on this forum, there's a topic in games) said they got hosed over by the publisher somehow (I don't remember the details) but that's been a few months ago so I dunno. I've played the demo back before release, and thought it's a neat proof of concept but still has ways to go to actually be enjoyable despite all parts working well at a glance. The recent reviews are still mixed and the forum activity seems low. I see they released a Playstation and Xbox version later which seems like a completely wrong thing to do before you've even got the game to a good state.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

lordfrikk posted:

The devs (who post on this forum, there's a topic in games) said they got hosed over by the publisher somehow (I don't remember the details) but that's been a few months ago so I dunno. I've played the demo back before release, and thought it's a neat proof of concept but still has ways to go to actually be enjoyable despite all parts working well at a glance. The recent reviews are still mixed and the forum activity seems low. I see they released a Playstation and Xbox version later which seems like a completely wrong thing to do before you've even got the game to a good state.

Thread is over here. It now makes a lot more sense how they got a poo poo sandwich from the publisher when I see that it was TinyBuild, who spent most of 2023 being constantly on fire and loving over their devs non-stop as they freefalled from poor management.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SoR Blaze posted:

Huge recommendation for Moonring if you have any affinity at all for Ultima or old-school CRPGs in general. It really captures the spirit of the games of the era it's inspired by, but has a modern sensibility and good respect for the player's time. Everything just feels really snappy, and the combat is pretty fast-paced for a turn-based game. It's a really special synthesis and I cannot believe that it's free. I hope the dev makes another one soon.

Anti-recommendation for Moonring here, despite what was said above being true, it all goes down the toilet with some truly unpleasant dungeoning later on. You need like six doodads, and each is in a far-too-long procgen dungeon, each more awful than the last. Like, you'd chew your leg off to get out of it, then realise that you don't have to, you can just close the program. Phew.

Edit: Well, the game is free, so I suppose one could give it a whirl and enjoy themselves until said dungeons block further progress. win/win.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 2, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kly posted:

It was developed by some of the people who escaped the Starbound company, and they post on the forums here. It seems they were forced to release the game far, far too early in a broken state, by the publisher. So yeah it's not finished at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

you need a special kind of brain to enjoy DOS1, it's about as user unfriendly as a game can get and still be considerable playable

D:OS1 is easily the most bullshit of Larian's games, its story is complete non-sense and the difficulty falls down the bottom in the final third before coming right up for the final boss; but I really love it, some of my favourite combat encounters in any CRPG and Larian's best (and dickest) puzzle dungeons.

also they did a fantastic pun in the final boss and the whole endgame setpiece is a delight

You are there defending the Source of all magic from this big corruption elemental and if you lose the game "crashes" and returns to a DOS interface that keeps outputting a failure to initialize because the source code got corrupted

they named the entire game this way so they could do a pun

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The 7th Guest posted:

Lightyear Frontier
Train Valley World
BLUD
Rusty's Retirement
Rotwood (Klei)
Harold Halibut
Islands of Insight

other news:

Moonring rules.

I've had my eye on Dread Delusion for awhile, but typically avoid buying early access titles. Checking the page though, they seem to have updated the planned release schedule to 2024 (when previously it had been some earlier year they badly overshot). Hopefully that means they plan on keeping this one.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ZearothK posted:

they named the entire game this way so they could do a pun

Oh oh oh! Speaking thereof, Satellite Reign was a rather underappreciated game, had some very interesting ideas on how to encourage players not to quickload when things went south. If you remember Syndicate from the 90's, go check it out. It also had a groaner of a pun when the credits rolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Boxes: Lost Fragments is finally available, and I am very happy the developers delayed it for this long so that it could be polished.
It's much easier than The Room, but still a lot of fun.
Their previous game, Doors: Paradox, is currently free on Epic so check it out if you like puzzle games.