Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

What is the most comfortable Quest 3 head strap? I don't care about looks or gadgets, just displacing the weight comfortably.

In my opinion, just one like this where the straps are a straight line front to back, and there's a battery in the back to counter the weight: https://www.amazon.com/YOGES-Compatible-Rechargable-Headstrap-Accessories/dp/B0CJBR5YLV/

I have a similar one to that for my Q3. There's others with a pivot arm near the headset, but I don't see how that's supposed to help anything. I think it is better to avoid the complexity.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've been getting horrible motion sickness on my Q3 in things that used to be fine on my Q1 but I'd guess not touching VR for a year or two has completely erased my vr legs. I hadn't tried Skyrim VR since release when there were barely compatible mods so I downloaded a wabbajack list and gave it a go and instantly got ill just wandering around a little. Maybe my 3080 12gb wasn't keeping up but it seemed smooth enough.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

What is the most comfortable Quest 3 head strap? I don't care about looks or gadgets, just displacing the weight comfortably.

a page ago I compared 3 that I bought and preferred the bobovr m3

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Counterpoint, I got the Bobo and I hated it. The meta elite strap with battery is my favorite

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Cicero posted:

Okay, I have to know. How the hell does that work?

You stick out your tongue and your avatar sticks out its tongue. HTC's tracker can track the X and Y of your tongue so you could move it around while sticking it out, but the Quest Pro only has binary in/out.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

it is definitely personal fit so if you can shop at some place with permissive returns then just buy several and return what doesn't feel comfortable. I thought the bobo halo style looked dumb and awkward until I finally tried one and my wife quickly converted too. The price on the official stuff seemed kinda excessive so I didn't try them tho

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Hoooooly poo poo, Hell in Doom3 on my Q2 is loving unsettling.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Q2/3 up, Index down.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

tango alpha delta posted:

It's one of the best ports, the game feels like it was built for VR before (modern) VR existed. And suddenly a mediocre game by Doom standards becomes loving great.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Turin Turambar posted:

Q2/3 up, Index down.

I haven't plugged in my Index in over a year. Why would I when my Quest 3 is sitting on my desk?

tango alpha delta posted:

I just installed JKXR, Prey 2006 and D3 after setting up SideQuest for the first time. They're all amazing and a massive nostalgia trip. I forgot that Prey 2006 opened with an alien abduction set to "Don't Fear The Reaper". It's a so cool in VR.

Like Braindance said, It really feels like the Quest 3 was made for this generation of games.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 2, 2024

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Try Quake 3 Arena too, it works really well and I get surprisingly little nausea (as someone who has motion sickness issues even IRL).

The Duke3D/Doom games are okay but they quickly make me too sick.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Lol dunking on a headset that came out pre pandemic

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Shuka posted:

Lol dunking on a headset that came out pre pandemic

No wired-only headset is ever again gaining traction against all-in-ones.

At a minimum they'd need an onboard 6ghz AV1 decoder to accept wireless streams from the PC. That would be "good enough" PC wireless, from what I've seen in using it with a 4080+Q3.

Probably the other thing that needs to happen is controllers like the Quest Touch Pro; inside-out camera-tracked that can work with the PC. It's a shame no one has hacked those to work over PC bluetooth, but no reason Valve can't do a pair. They're going to have to give up Lighthouse at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

No wired-only headset is ever again gaining traction against all-in-ones.

At a minimum they'd need an onboard 6ghz AV1 decoder to accept wireless streams from the PC. That would be "good enough" PC wireless, from what I've seen in using it with a 4080+Q3.

Probably the other thing that needs to happen is controllers like the Quest Touch Pro; inside-out camera-tracked that can work with the PC. It's a shame no one has hacked those to work over PC bluetooth, but no reason Valve can't do a pair. They're going to have to give up Lighthouse at some point.

No, Lighthouses are too useful for high-end headsets, because you can make a single product and drop it into an existing ecosystem. That and the best full-body tracking you can get.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, Lighthouses are too useful for high-end headsets, because you can make a single product and drop it into an existing ecosystem. That and the best full-body tracking you can get.

I know they have superior performance, but people are done putting up with them. They're not gonna be climbing up that Steam graph.

If someone made some SteamVR compatible full-body trackers like the Vive/Tundra trackers, but used inside-out cameras like the Quest Pro Touch, yeah they would be a little heavier and worse battery but that would be a much easier sell.

Lighthouses are asking users to place them as high as possible, but also to find a socket to plug them into, and also maybe to drill holes for mounts. That's a little lofty to expect for a normie. When I used Pimax I had to solder a custom power brick to run the lighthouses off battery instead because I couldn't possibly run extension cords to tops of my door frames.

Dunkey had the perfect reaction back in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z55rJznqF3E

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

I know they have superior performance, but people are done putting up with them. They're not gonna be climbing up that Steam graph.

If someone made some SteamVR compatible full-body trackers like the Vive/Tundra trackers, but used inside-out cameras like the Quest Pro Touch, yeah they would be a little heavier and worse battery but that would be a much easier sell.

Lighthouses are asking users to place them as high as possible, but also to find a socket to plug them into, and also maybe to drill holes for mounts. That's a little lofty to expect for a normie. When I used Pimax I had to solder a custom power brick to run the lighthouses off battery instead because I couldn't possibly run extension cords to tops of my door frames.

Dunkey had the perfect reaction back in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z55rJznqF3E

What you're missing is it doesn't need to be a one-size-fits-all thing. It's a high-effort high-reward setup, and it's okay that that exists alongside more accessible VR platforms and systems.

Lighthouses also aren't a big deal if you use VR regularly. You just set them up once and leave them in place :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 2, 2024

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Normies attach 60+ inch, 80lb slabs of glass to their wall that need to be mounted directly to the studs and have multiple sets of wires run to them. I think they can stick the equivalent of a smoke detector in the corner of their room.

I installed a pair of lighthouse v1s when I bought my OG Vive and I'll still be able to use them when my new Bigscreen Beyond comes in. That's a lot of longevity out of something that took me 20 minutes one time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have just ordered some tripods to screw my lighthouses to. No clue how well they'll work. VR is great, the Vive is definitely showing it's age but I got it for $50 so I'm really not complaining.

For people living in the future, are pixels a lot harder to notice in modern headsets?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

I have just ordered some tripods to screw my lighthouses to. No clue how well they'll work. VR is great, the Vive is definitely showing it's age but I got it for $50 so I'm really not complaining.

For people living in the future, are pixels a lot harder to notice in modern headsets?

Than a Vive? I'm still using an Index and the Vive feels like watching a video in 640x480 in comparison. A current gen headset will probably blow your mind.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

Normies attach 60+ inch, 80lb slabs of glass to their wall that need to be mounted directly to the studs and have multiple sets of wires run to them.

No, they pay me to do it for them.

Just look at how even the Pico Neo 3 and 4 are holding on while the Index is collecting dust. The writing's on the wall, not the Lighthouses.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont know how many times i need to bang my fists on the table and go "it's the software man!!! the software isn't there yet!!!!!!" but even having upgrading from the q2 to the q3 and definitely preferring the q3 as a piece of hardware, i'm still spending most of my time hacking flatscreen games to play on it rather than go back to superhot or alyx again

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lighthouses case isn't being helped by the stagnation in pricing, the promised savings from switching from a complex two axis rotor to just one still isn't being passed onto the customer

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah I mean if we're going to invoke normies the real problem is they see VR and go :confused:
And it's not because they have to install TWO small boxes or plug something in.

They probably also aren't going to pay someone to install lighthouse or buy an Apple headset since normies can't even afford a car right now. It's Malaise Era II: 70s are Back!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Just look at how even the Pico Neo 3 and 4 are holding on while the Index is collecting dust. The writing's on the wall, not the Lighthouses.

The Index is 2 years older than even the Pico 3. Valve time doesn't work in a way us mere mortals can comprehend.

I think to really judge, we're going to have to wait to see what the numbers for the BSB look like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

...The numbers showing the Index is the second-most common SteamVR in use behind the Quest 2? :confused:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

Did you know the Xbone Kinect is sensitive enough to get your heart rate from the other side of the room? Worked for a dev who figured out we could do it, but decided it was too creepy to implement.

Relevant: https://www.pcmag.com/news/newark-airport-is-using-xbox-kinect-sensors-for-surveillance

If you're the kind of person to idly stare at the gadgets mounted to walls and ceilings in public places you'll probably see more Kinects in commercial environments in a given week than you have likely ever seen in living rooms. It was popular enough in a variety of non-gaming use cases that it got a third generation branded as "Azure Kinect" in 2019 which was only just recently discontinued. They are really potent sensors if you have a use for them.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Qubee posted:

Yes, they're nearly imperceptible on the Quest 3. If you actively look you'll see the screen door but otherwise it's not an issue anymore.

I tried a vive again for the first time in ages at an exhibition a couple of months back and was slightly gobsmacked by how dang clunky and smothering the thing feels compared to what we have now. I feel like a lot of people that bounced off VR back in the day would have a very different reaction if they tried what's out there now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Koramei posted:

Yes, they're nearly imperceptible on the Quest 3. If you actively look you'll see the screen door but otherwise it's not an issue anymore.

I tried a vive again for the first time in ages at an exhibition a couple of months back and was slightly gobsmacked by how dang clunky and smothering the thing feels compared to what we have now. I feel like a lot of people that bounced off VR back in the day would have a very different reaction if they tried what's out there now.

Going back to my PSVR1 after being on a Vive Pro a while back was REAL eye-opener on the difference.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had to go to an apple store to do the face scan for my BSB and I got a bit of a runaround. First, they didn't understand what I wanted to do, even though i kept explaining that I just wanted to use an iPhone for a few minutes to do a face scan. Then they insisted that they didn't have any devices that I could use to do that and I'd have to borrow a friend's. I didn't want to keep arguing with them, so I just grabbed a random phone and scanned the QR code on my own and it worked fine. They looked confused as hell like I took a dump on the floor in front of them.

I feel like I should have just gone to a Best Buy, TBH.

Edit: Also, it was busy as hell with multiple people asking if they had Vision Pros in stock in the 10 minutes I was there. I do not live in a particularly rich area. They really do have a reality distortion field.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 2, 2024

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
If I was working at an electronics store I would also be mildly confused by someone coming up to me and asking permission to visit a website on a display model.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thoom posted:

If I was working at an electronics store I would also be mildly confused by someone coming up to me and asking permission to visit a website on a display model.

It only came up because they swarmed me as soon as I walked in and when I said "I just want to use one of your phones real quick" they went immediately into the questions.

Also, the email from BSB says they recorded my IPD at 72mm. The last time I was at the Optometrist, they measured 69. The index only goes up to 70mm, so I can't check to see how 72mm feels. Should I trust the scan's numbers or my optometrist's? I have the option to change it on the website before they build the thing.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 2, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KillHour posted:

It only came up because they swarmed me as soon as I walked in and when I said "I just want to use one of your phones real quick" they went immediately into the questions.

Also, the email from BSB says they recorded my IPD at 72mm. The last time I was at the Optometrist, they measured 69. The index only goes up to 70mm, so I can't check to see how 72mm feels. Should I trust the scan's numbers or my optometrist's? I have the option to change it on the website before they build the thing.

You are supposed to lie, saying 'I'm just looking around', do a loop around the shop, then pick the iPhone as if you were considering it to buy, then doing the face scan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

You are supposed to lie, saying 'I'm just looking around', do a loop around the shop, then pick the iPhone as if you were considering it to buy, then doing the face scan.

The scan itself was not subtle and I must have looked like a total weirdo doing it.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Beat Vertigo and Vertigo 2 recently, loved them. To me, they were better HL VR games than Alyx. I liked Boneworks better than Alyx as well, though. I don't mind cartoonier graphics or worse voice acting, and the actual game/gunplay was a lot more fun.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'd trust an optometrist over a phone app, personally.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kalman posted:

I'd trust an optometrist over a phone app, personally.

This is what Bigscreen says to do as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkyle6Stkok

It's a cool idea, but I also hope the price is cheap, because it isn't like the idea is going to allow that much different gameplay.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mutata posted:

This is what Bigscreen says to do as well.

Is it possible that the optometrist was measuring my near IPD? I put on my Index and set the IPD to 70 (as high as it goes) and closed one eye and focused on the very center of the screen. I then moved the headset around to make it as clear as possible, and at that point it was pushed in a little towards my nose. Then I did the same for the other side, and again I had to push it in towards my nose to make it as clear as possible.

Maybe I should go back to the optometrist and ask them to do it again...

In any case, I emailed them and asked their opinion.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Apple Store is literally the worst store in existence. I had to go there on occasion when I worked IT to get warranty repairs on the CEO's iPhone or whatever. When I go to hell I'm going to be trapped in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Choose carefully, what's will be your Vision Pro source, Marque or Bradley??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ2aM8kw1ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS1yRYsXddU