Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I don't mind all the main characters being butts. S1 had Rust tell a woman to kill herself, among other things. It was way stronger, but the core of the show is that you have grizzled detectives who won't let a case go and how they eventually and at cost solve it. Taking inspiration from Sherlock Holmes, the only thing that matters is that the case gets solved. Them being assholes feeds into that - they may be awful and a mess, but dammit, they're going to find absolution through the good deed of figuring this poo poo out.

I don't think it's a huge deal it's just that the characters need to be fleshed out more for audiences to want to watch them. Navarro is starting to make more sense why she acts the way she does because they finally tapped into her back story a bit. She got abandoned, she's frustrated about the handling of a case she found important, she's got a crazy sister she has to worry about. It took three episodes to do it so the pacing is a bit off.

It seems that Danvers' backstory is an intentional mystery but that makes her more frustrating than fun. Like they keep having Danvers and Navarro go at odds with each other but there doesn't seem to be any spark there besides that they're both gruff. Same with Danvers and Hank or how Danvers interacts with her daughter. It should be a big deal that she tried to wipe off all of her daughter's face markings.
There's a ton of stuff to work with there if they just gave a better insight on Danvers as a person. Episodes 2 and 3 should have explored her more than they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I predict in the next episode the whole town will abruptly break out in a frenzied violent riot, most of it out of frame and referenced through dialogue. Then it will cut to AI-generated banter between the two lead cops, "You callin me Mr. Freeze?", and the riot will not be addressed again

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Is David Gordon Green directing the next episode?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the writers went out of their way to mention more than once that both Navarro's sister and mother heard voices and saw poo poo, so I'd guess any scene with her alone or with 1 other person or an orange may be entirely in her head. :shrug:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Keyser_Soze posted:

the writers went out of their way to mention more than once that both Navarro's sister and mother heard voices and saw poo poo, so I'd guess any scene with her alone or with 1 other person or an orange may be entirely in her head. :shrug:

nah it's all real. there is a feminine psychic/cosmic power that was unleashed and it is affecting the sensitives in the area. the men it scares to death, the women have a different relationship with the entity. its emergence has also riled up the spirit world, and the spirits are trying to communicate with the key players who might be able to prevent catastrophe

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just jumping in to correct previous posters. Jeremy Brett was the best Sherlock Holmes.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

TheBizzness posted:

Rust is my dad and he is a wonderful person.

Your mother and I love you too.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Marty is my dad and he doesnt make me mow the lawn

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Danvers should reveal herself as The Thing at the end of this, to thunderous critical acclaim.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
like a british bulldog given an anesthetizing agent, I don't mind.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Definitely want to see Danvers be the villain

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Keyser_Soze posted:

I’m with you. I think every time something spooky has happened to her the person has been pointing in her face which was also from the traumatic flashback to her mother.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m enjoying the show for the most part, but every time they shoehorn in a reference to season 1 it just pisses me off and seems really cheap. Leave my absolutely perfect season 1 out of this, please!
Things I do like: the close-knit community that the native women have formed and how they care for each other, the set design is great- love the stacked boxes of food and diapers everywhere, and also some genuinely creepy visuals. When the nurse at the hospital warned “he’s hard to look at” and there was basically a walking dead zombie in the hospital bed I laughed. It was good fun.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
poo poo, I took care of half a dozen people this week who look.worse than him.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
What's with the trend of TV shows going with low episode counts and yet the writing still dragging like they're trying to fill the time of a 10, 13 or even 22 episode season?

I'd have no problem with how slow this is going if there was still another 7 episodes to go, but there's only 3!

The plot hasn't really moved forward at all and we barely know anything about the characters.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

You're not asking the right questions.

The question is:

"DO YOU HAVE MAC N CHEESE?"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

tetrapyloctomy posted:

poo poo, I took care of half a dozen people this week who look.worse than him.

Sorry. The thread's turned against this season. Now you're going to have to wait until SE06 when people rediscover it if the pattern holds.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 2, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

th3t00t posted:

What's with the trend of TV shows going with low episode counts and yet the writing still dragging like they're trying to fill the time of a 10, 13 or even 22 episode season?

I understand where you're coming from but don't know what the solution would be.

If you made big things happen sooner that means you'd have to drag out the crisis and denouement longer than a 14 episode season does as a % of overall screen time.

If you only have six episodes then there is a reasonable chance all of the major movement to the finish line will happen in the last episode. That's not necessarily a terrible thing if done well.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 2, 2024

Wahhabi Lobby
Nov 3, 2020
https://x.com/culturecrave/status/1753151155876823265?s=46

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Well, he's right

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So far the connections haven't been important to the plot, essentially just easter eggs and nods to a few things. The only relevant one is the Spiral turning out to possibly be some Real poo poo that the S1 cult stumbled into, which I don't think is that big of a deal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The cult didn't invent the crooked spiral or the yellow king. They were just using the iconography because they thought it looked neat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Like how modern satanism doesn't worship Satan, they just know using a statue of bophsmet will be offensive

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Bright Bart posted:

I understand where you're coming from but don't know what the solution would be.

If you made big things happen sooner that means you'd have to drag out the crisis and denouement longer than a 14 episode season does as a % of overall screen time.

If you only have six episodes then there is a reasonable chance all of the major movement to the finish line will happen in the last episode. That's not necessarily a terrible thing if done well.
We're 50% of the way into this season. Yet it feels like we've only covered enough ground with the characters and plot to feel like we're 3 out of 10 episodes in.

It feels like they're building to the classic TD episode 4/5 mid season shoot out, except this time it's going to be episode 6 and it's the season finale. No back half of the season to look forward to afterwards.

I'd love to be wrong and have episodes 4, 5, 6 knock our collective socks off. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I never would've even known there was any connection with season 1 if I didn't check Twitter, it's such a small thing that's not important or worth getting riled up about and Nic Pizza is an unprofessional child even if this show isn't great.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Some of yall are so loving bored you are going to hatewatch the entire season.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving board you are going to hatewatch the entire season.
I don't hate it or I wouldn't be watching it, so I'm not "hatewatching" it I don't think it has been that great and I am not optimistic about it ending well.

This is a thread for discussing the show so it's not that surprising that some people are also expressing negative opinions about it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving board you are going to hatewatch the entire season.

It is OK to watch shows and criticize them for their positive and negative qualities

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t mind the spiral or the Tuttle references, because in the grander scheme of things they make thematic sense.

The Rust’s dad thing should be met with a collective groan because it was pointless fan service. As another poster said: Leave my perfect season of television alone.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bright Bart posted:

Sorry. The thread's turned against this season. Now you're going to have to wait until SE06 when people rediscover it if the pattern holder.

You're probably right, unfortunately. But seriously, in the last month I saw a dude where his wounds -- which I can't even describe because their extent and severity make them so specific that it might entail a literal HIPAA violation to do so -- were such that a decade ago I would have laughed if I saw a show where someone with them were still living. Just Bad Taste levels of what-the-fuckery.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this season. I like watching the characters and their interactions, and the imagery is good and scratches a horror itch I've had.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving bored you are going to hatewatch the entire season.

I think you’re from Maine :D

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

my bony fealty posted:

It is OK to watch shows and criticize them for their positive and negative qualities

No, that's sickening

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Even the best shows in TVIV go through this same thing, I’m afraid.

At least this season doesn’t have the poster who is scared of ceiling fans typing up paragraphs of nonsense after every episode.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

my bony fealty posted:

Well, yes, but there’s a certain amount of refusing to engage with what the show is giving us on display here. It’s become clear pretty quickly that Lopez’ story is less interested in what happened to a bunch of white guys in the science lab and more interested in indigenous (and specifically indigenous women’s) hardships and trauma. We’ve had quite a lot of development in the latter and but it seems like a lot of posters only care about the former, so they complain about “nothing happening”. The dead dudes are just a little bit of plot magic to drive what the show really wants to talk about.

Now that’s not necessarily the audience’s fault - HBO decided to shoehorn this into an existing IP that people already have very specific expectations for. And in a backwards way Nicky P is right (you do not in fact have to hand it to him); cramming in S1 references is bad, but not because it sullies the sanctity of the show before, but because it’s continuing to make people believe this show is something that it’s not.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
I kinda like how slow it's been going so far. I dunno if anything will be as good as season 1 but having just binged all the previous seasons to catch up with this one, I really wanna find out what happens to all the characters. The connections to season 1 can be a little silly but I do like how the imagery was used sometimes so far.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Freaquency posted:

Well, yes, but there’s a certain amount of refusing to engage with what the show is giving us on display here. It’s become clear pretty quickly that Lopez’ story is less interested in what happened to a bunch of white guys in the science lab and more interested in indigenous (and specifically indigenous women’s) hardships and trauma. We’ve had quite a lot of development in the latter and but it seems like a lot of posters only care about the former, so they complain about “nothing happening”. The dead dudes are just a little bit of plot magic to drive what the show really wants to talk about.
1) This is not an accurate description of what people are complaining about. 2) The main mystery does involve at least one indigenous person so to the extent that people are complaining that the mystery hasn't been developed, that absolutely does not mean they only care about white men or whatever, jesus christ

Like yeah, people don't think a tv show you like is very good, that must mean they're racist, sure

Personally I would be fine with a show that was less focused on the mystery aspect. My issue is kind of the opposite: the other aspects of the show don't seem to very fleshed out, and a lot of the scenes where the main characters talk to other characters seem to exist solely so, e.g. those characters can deliver a single line that the show wants them to deliver, or so they can be an obstacle for the main characters, rather than actually treating them as three dimensional characters

However, I think to some extent this can't be fully judged until the show ends, which is which is why I have been repeatedly saying that I am still watching the show, but I am not that optimistic about it ending well since we have already seen three out of six episodes and the pacing seems pretty weird given that length.

As other people have said, the pacing would be much less concerning if it was planned to be longer.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 2, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

mystes posted:

1) This is not an accurate description of what people are complaining about. 2) The main mystery does involve at least one indigenous person so to the extent that people are complaining that the mystery hasn't been developed, that absolutely does not mean they only care about white men or whatever, jesus christ

Like yeah, people don't think a tv show you like is very good, that must mean they're racist, sure

Personally I would be fine with a show that was less focused on the mystery aspect. My issue is kind of the opposite: the other aspects of the show don't seem to very fleshed out, and a lot of the scenes where the main characters talk to other characters seem to exist solely so, e.g. those characters can deliver a single line that the show wants them to deliver, or so they can be an obstacle for the main characters, rather than actually treating them as three dimensional characters

Way to make up a thing to be mad about. I’m not calling you racist just because you don’t like the show :rolleyes:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Then you worded this extremely poorly:

Freaquency posted:

It’s become clear pretty quickly that Lopez’ story is less interested in what happened to a bunch of white guys in the science lab and more interested in indigenous (and specifically indigenous women’s) hardships and trauma.

As I said, the mystery does involve indigenous women, so it might be fair to say that some viewers are more interested in the mystery angle than the "hardships and trauma" but you worded that in a way that implied that people were more interested in "white guys" than "indigenous women" which is extremely misleading. My apologies if you didn't intentionally mean to imply that and just accidentally phrased your post poorly though.

(Perhaps you just didn't notice that there were indigenous women involved in the mystery because you aren't that interested in that aspect.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 2, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Then you worded this extremely poorly:

As I said, the mystery does involve indigenous women, so it might be fair to say that some viewers are more interested in the mystery angle than the "hardships and trauma" but you intentionally worded that in a way that implied that people were more interested in "white guys" than "indigenous women" which is pretty loving stupid

Calling attention to the contrast is not calling anyone racist.

If anything the show is explicit about this contrast too - no one cares when Annie dies and it’s possibly covered up by the police; but these guys die and suddenly Anchorage is there and it’s a big to-do. Navarro certainly seems to think it’s messed up! There’s a long history of the deaths and disappearances of indigenous people or people of color being disregarded and the show is pretty clearly attempting to tackle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Freaquency posted:

Calling attention to the contrast is not calling anyone racist.

If anything the show is explicit about this contrast too - no one cares when Annie dies and it’s possibly covered up by the police; but these guys die and suddenly Anchorage is there and it’s a big to-do. Navarro certainly seems to think it’s messed up! There’s a long history of the deaths and disappearances of indigenous people or people of color being disregarded and the show is pretty clearly attempting to tackle that.
You are correct that the show is calling attention to the contrast of how Annie's death is handled, but nobody in this thread has said they aren't interested in Annie's death so it is incredibly disingenuous of you to compare these two things.

On the other hand, your original post literally ignored Annie's death in the interest of presenting a false dichotomy between being interested in the mystery and being interested in the hardships of indigenous people.