Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well that was more profound than the blood-soaked room I was expecting to see.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

So babies are born with existential dread? They ponder if the next time they slip into gentle unconsciousness it may be the last? And if so, they want their last vision to be of something exciting, and not the mundane sights of their parents or four bare walls?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CzarChasm posted:

So babies are born with existential dread? They ponder if the next time they slip into gentle unconsciousness it may be the last?

They're just like me!

(actually I've never worried about that)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The ability to relax and fall asleep is learned. We all wake up periodically in our sleep. Babies need to learn how to fall back asleep after that, but trust that if they really need a parent, we'll be there. Our son moved into his own room at about 6 months, and for a few months after that, we'd have to go in several times a night and help him fall asleep again (it seems like every month he'd go through a new _n_ month sleep regression...).

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

CzarChasm posted:

So babies are born with existential dread? They ponder if the next time they slip into gentle unconsciousness it may be the last? And if so, they want their last vision to be of something exciting, and not the mundane sights of their parents or four bare walls?

That seems to be her thesis, yes.

Kennel posted:

They're just like me!
Spoiler panel from tomorrow's comic:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

My 6- month old does everything he can to avoid falling asleep, and the more exhausted he gets, the more hyper he becomes until he just collapses. It’s wonderful/infuriating/exhausting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I kind of like the idea of a bad guy who does things that kind of work out well for everyone. Not like they have a change of heart and do the right thing in the end or anything, just whenever they attempt a scheme it works but in the best possible way for everyone.

Pro(ZD) click: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUgjy-Pn-4

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

We can all just agree that whatever is happening in this comic page is what had to happen. In every regard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh my. There are the stakes we were waiting for in this issue of Steeples!

Giant Ethicist posted:

That seems to be her thesis, yes.

Spoiler panel from tomorrow's comic:

I thought this comic was going to just be a charming journey through pregnancy, birth and parenthood and here I'm getting a little bit of heart crushing sympathy. :smith: Really good pages recently.

The worst is when the mind briefly tries to calculate how the passage of time will feel, logically, once you're gone, hoping to reason some form of acceptance out of the idea... or something.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stultus Maximus posted:

Medieval motel.

“We’ll leave the torch lit for you”
-Caravansery 6

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

davidspackage posted:

I didn't either until I came across the subject last year, doing some light research for a story. They sound like awesome places to meet travelers and swap stories in olden times.

They're the one building in Civ V I almost always never construct

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Alterian posted:

Psh. Thats what dogs are for.

Imagining someone doing a crazy-rear end relationship test, only to get bowled over by their dog seeing the free food on the floor

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You Must Install Half Life Episode 2 And Counterstrike To View Kevin And Kell

Hey Man, Don't Be Cruel

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/10-12/52

Archie 6/9-11/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/2/77

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hostile V posted:

Hey Man, Don't Be Cruel

had to double-check that copyright date because lol how the gently caress do you make this in 2024?

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Safety Dance posted:

The ability to relax and fall asleep is learned. We all wake up periodically in our sleep. Babies need to learn how to fall back asleep after that, but trust that if they really need a parent, we'll be there. Our son moved into his own room at about 6 months, and for a few months after that, we'd have to go in several times a night and help him fall asleep again (it seems like every month he'd go through a new _n_ month sleep regression...).

Can also be forgotten.

I used to fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, then I read Carlin's bit about sleeping and I'm up until at least 2AM every night.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/176057-people-say-i-m-going-to-sleep-now-as-if-it

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Vargo posted:

had to double-check that copyright date because lol how the gently caress do you make this in 2024?

Maybe the cartoonist just got back from Vegas

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

thisusedyet posted:

Maybe the cartoonist just got back from Vegas

It's not just the Elvis, it's the combination of Elvis and "wife calling the bar looking for you" that makes this feel so bizarre to me

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vargo posted:

It's not just the Elvis, it's the combination of Elvis and "wife calling the bar looking for you" that makes this feel so bizarre to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_has_left_the_building#:~:text=The%20full%20quotation%20was%3A,You%20know%20that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The house on the left is insured. The house on the right isn't.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

No I get the joke! It's just a setup and joke that feels wildly outdated! Maybe this one is just me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

No I get the joke! It's just a setup and joke that feels wildly outdated! Maybe this one is just me.

There's also a hidden second joke, in the name of the bar printed on the window. (It's not MUCH of a joke, I admit, but it's there.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

DO SOMETHING! Reward this pig or have him be punished! Something! ANYTHING!

I went back to the 2023 thread to see when I posted my last rant about Mary Worth being the worst of the worst of the soap opera strips, because it draws out everything to excruciating lengths - it was in late September. And I was complaining about the start of this storyline.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

First the Unauthorized Proselytizing, now random ESP testing? Mexikid's school has a LOT of issues.

Cul de Sac

...you folks ever order a pizza with extra cheese?

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 16, 1936)

Peanuts (February 3, 1977)

Dinkleshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 5, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (November 25-27, 1943)

And we now return to Mousetrapped.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 3, 1977)

holy poo poo

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

...you folks ever order a pizza with extra cheese?

I would sometimes order a pie with extra cheese and black olives,

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 14-18, 2005)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ah yeah this is Scary Go Round really hitting its stride. :3:

Good ol' Dinkle, always endangering children for personal gain by stealing their free will.

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

Kidnaps the most amazing scientist in the setting, creates a gadget that can beat loving Popeye in a fight, builds an evil mountain lair modeled after his own face.

But what I really need to get my evil plans started is some starting capital so I can begin building my power base to make more money?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

Ah yeah this is Scary Go Round really hitting its stride. :3:

Good ol' Dinkle, always endangering children for personal gain by stealing their free will.

Kidnaps the most amazing scientist in the setting, creates a gadget that can beat loving Popeye in a fight, builds an evil mountain lair modeled after his own face.

But what I really need to get my evil plans started is some starting capital so I can begin building my power base to make more money?

have you ever seen how the mighty Monarch does his evil plans?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

On top of all the other reasons the current Phantom story sucks it sure is creepy and stupid and meta that everybody can read Kit's future for him.
It is super weird how dedicated Diana is to getting her son together with her daughter's friend.

EasyEW posted:

And we now return to Mousetrapped.
So, in what way is Steamboat Willie actually the "basis and inspiration" for this completely unrelated story?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Wizard taught me about Orion and to this day when I look up and see Orion I think, "Hm. Winter is coming." Maybe Janis wold have more appreciation if she watched Mr. Wizard back in the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NTifmG8TM&t=1012s

Edit: The video doesn't want to embed, but it's Mr. Wizard. The relevant segment is less than a minute long and starts at 16:52

Mokotow posted:

Is Mary Worth about something? It’s been 5 days of her talking how Mustache Marine is great, then they had a sing a long and now the storyline across at least two strips is everyone leaving home for the evening.

Mary Worth always has an extended Victory Lap at the end of every storyline where assorted characters congratulate each other about how great everything turned out and how all the right people made good. It can go for weeks.

I certainly hope that's the part of this plot we're experiencing right now.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I don't get insomnia very often, but when I do it's because some rear end in a top hat part of my brain has convinced itself I'm going to die in my sleep.

Luann

That was painfully unfunny and yet Bernice is still the one in this strip I want to smash over the head with a metal chair.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 2, 2024

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shut up, Macanudo.