Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Invincible returns March 14

https://www.ign.com/articles/invincible-finally-reveals-premiere-date-for-part-2-of-season-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Kevin Conroy recorded some stuff for the upcoming Batman cartoon prior to his death:

https://twitter.com/therealsupes/status/1752488285316976753

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find all this hullabaloo about Conroy's last role kind of weird. Since when do we remember actors based on their final performance? It's not going to tarnish anything he did, all his great work still exists to be enjoyed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

I find all this hullabaloo about Conroy's last role kind of weird. Since when do we remember actors based on their final performance? It's not going to tarnish anything he did, all his great work still exists to be enjoyed.

A lot of it comes from thinking Suicide Squad was just going to be this utter disaster and instead it's just kind of mid, maybe even 'wait for a deep sale.'

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Lobok posted:

Suicide Squad marketing made a big deal about this at one point.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

A lot of it comes from thinking Suicide Squad was just going to be this utter disaster and instead it's just kind of mid, maybe even 'wait for a deep sale.'

For sure, and so it feels less like people are actually worried about his honour or legacy or whatever and more like they're just using his popularity to take a stab at a videogame they expected to hate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So instead of his last performance being in a lovely video game it will be a lovely movie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just like the great Orson Welles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

So instead of his last performance being in a lovely video game it will be a lovely movie.

Also a new Batman cartoon that might be ok whenever it actually comes out

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Honestly I think that the news this isn't his last role dropping on the day SSKTJL dropped is hilarious and transparent

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Larryb posted:

Apparently Kevin Conroy recorded some stuff for the upcoming Batman cartoon prior to his death:

https://twitter.com/therealsupes/status/1752488285316976753

According to Bruce Timm, Conroy did not do any work on Caped Crusader, so IGN is full of poo poo here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Timby posted:

According to Bruce Timm, Conroy did not do any work on Caped Crusader, so IGN is full of poo poo here.

Oh, nevermind that one then.

So in that case his last vocal appearances will be in a bad movie and a bad video game then, that kind of sucks.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 1, 2024

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Unless they die in a tragic accident or something when they are young, most actors last roles are terrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just like the great Orson Welles.

I said lovely movie, not awesome one.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From this old article: 8 Actors Whose Final Movies Were Unfortunate Embarrassments by Eric Snider:

Eric Snider posted:

Orson Welles

Died: Oct. 10, 1985, at age 70.

Last movie: "The Transformers: The Movie" (released Aug. 6, 1986). Not the Michael Bay one -- don't worry, it's nothing that bad! -- but the animated one based on the TV cartoon. Welles provided the voice of Unicron, which Wikipedia informs me is an evil robot the size of a planet! Welles appeared in the flesh in Henry Jaglom's "Someone to Love" (1987), which was filmed before "Transformers."

Ouch factors: The notoriously obese Welles was hired to play a planet-sized robot. You can picture him getting the call from his agent, sighing heavily and then mumbling, "Aw, the hell with it."

Embarrassment level: 5. While it's disappointing that an actor of Welles' stature would end as the voice of a cartoon robot rather than, say, King Lear, there are mitigating factors. For one, the movie is fondly remembered today, its mediocrity having been canceled out by those Michael Bay abominations. For another, Welles always did have a terrific speaking voice, and this was a good showcase for it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think Burgess Meredith's final role was in the FMV game Ripper, which had a lot of other stars but was absolutely, indefensibly awful and bad in every conceivable way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also one of Raul Julia’s final roles was in the live action Street Fighter movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Timby posted:

Got a source for that out of curiosity?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His performance is probably not terrible. He was good at that voice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While Orson Welles getting blacklisted and having to take what he thought of as demeaning roles to get by was a sad story, I think for a lot of successful actors, they could probably afford to retire in their old age, but they keep acting right up to the end because they enjoy it and many roles can be not very physically demanding.

I rewatched the classic Transformers recently, and while I still can't really call it a "good" movie, it certainly is an amazing experience. It was an insane decision to kill off the majority of the original cartoon's cast to make room for the new toys. I'm pretty sure I blocked out most of the memory of the first time I saw it as a kid from how traumatizing it was. Japan didn't take it well either.

Otherwise, the visuals are fantastic, the music is a real ride, but the plot is pretty sloppy. I think some of the originally planned but deleted scenes would've smoothed a lot of things out and given time to breathe. I think the one that might've improved things the most might've been if they left in the full death scene for Ultra Magnus where the sweeps draw and quarter him, mainly because that'd give some context for the bit immediately following where the newly befriended Junkions successfully rebuild Ultra Magnus, meaning that there'd be some hope for the Junkions to help rebuild the fallen Autobots (although the ones voiced by Casey Kasem would still be dead over him leaving the show over Carbombya).

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Burgess Meredith's final role was in the FMV game Ripper, which had a lot of other stars but was absolutely, indefensibly awful and bad in every conceivable way.

He was apparently so far gone from Alzheimer's by the time of Grumpier Old Men they had to feed him his lines and coach him through it. Ripper was just elder abuse.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also one of Raul Julia’s final roles was in the live action Street Fighter movie

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I agree with most of that in regards to the Transformers movie. But I'll say that it's held up extremely well and the soundtrack is fantastic. Sure the plot could have been better, but despite it being a movie made to sell toys, it has a ton of love and heart put into it.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
While.. not quite animated. There is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tc6UbEYI4M

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Larryb posted:

Got a source for that out of curiosity?

https://animesuperhero.com/forums/t...3#post-87927385

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks. Is it even confirmed that Conroy leant his voice to the last Crisis movie for that matter?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

just watched Crisis on Infinite Worlds part 1.
drat that was good.

is Flash always the one that fucks everything up, but also saves everything? Yet he goes out like a bitch in Suicide Squad

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Larryb posted:

Thanks. Is it even confirmed that Conroy leant his voice to the last Crisis movie for that matter?

Timm said in that post that he has no idea. But per the press release that came out two months ago, seems doubtful unless it was some incredibly miniscule cameo:

quote:

Reprising their Tomorrowverse roles for Crisis on Infinite Earths are Darren Criss as Superman & Earth-2 Superman, Stana Katic as Wonder Woman & Superwoman, and Jensen Ackles as Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Other returning voice cast include Matt Bomer as The Flash/Barry Allen, Meg Donnelly as Supergirl & Harbinger, Jimmi Simpson as Green Arrow, and Zachary Quinto as Lex Luthor.

Rounding out the ensemble are Jonathan Adams as Monitor, Ike Amadi as J’onn J’onzz/Martian Manhunter, Amazing Man & Ivo, Geoffrey Arend as Psycho Pirate & Hawkman, Zack Callison as Dick Grayson/Robin, Alexandra Daddario as Lois Lane, Alastair Duncan as Alfred, Matt Lanter as Blue Beetle & Ultraman, Ato Essandoh as Mr Terrific, Cynthia Hamidi as Dawnstar, Aldis Hodge as John Stewart/Green Lantern & Power Ring, Erika Ishii as Doctor Light/Dr. Hoshi & Huntress, David Kaye as The Question, Ashleigh LaThrop as Iris West, Liam Mcintyre as Aquaman & Johnny Quick, Nolan North as Hal Jordan, Amazo & Homeless Man, Lou Diamond Phillips as The Spectre & Owlman, Keesha Sharp as Vixen and Harry Shum Jr. as Brainiac 5.

Justice League Crisis on Infinite Earths – Part One is produced by Jim Krieg and Kimberly S. Moreau and executive produced by Butch Lukic, Sam Register, and Michael Uslan, and directed by Jeff Wamester from a script by Jim Krieg. Casting and voice direction is by Wes Gleason.

Wouldn't be the first time IGN made something up out of whole cloth and claimed it as a scoop.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv3Ss8o9gGQ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is that... krakoa?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's funny how they start with footage of the last season of the show where the budget was on the rocks so the animation is really excessively bouncy, and then it jumps to the much stiffer modern animation. I think it's some kind of 3D model CG put through a filter to flatten it out.

The style I think sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't, I don't think they're trying very hard to replicate the original style or the multiple levels of shading. The voices, I'm not sure if they're the original VAs. Cyclops sounds about the same, Storm sounds like maybe the VA can't quite hit the same voice as before, Wolverine sounds entirely different, and Magneto has forgotten that he's supposed to have an accent.

But hey, nice to see that this finally exists.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

FINALLY THIS SENSATION I'VE MISSED! EXCITEMENT FOR A MARVEL SHOW!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
the model work and the post-processing is incredible, amazing work

it animates like poo poo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice to see this finally has a release date and looks pretty decent. Do we know if they got the original cast back for this (or as many as they could at least)?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The coffin descending is p great :allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Larryb posted:

Nice to see this finally has a release date and looks pretty decent. Do we know if they got the original cast back for this (or as many as they could at least)?

I forget who they were able to get, but I’m pretty sure they tried to get as many as they could.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rogue, Beast, Storm, Wolverine, and Sinister I believe are the voice actors from the original series. The rest are new.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
https://twitter.com/kaymaldo/status/1758132118327034278

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops' voice actor passed away. The new one sounds pretty close though

That looks a lot like the old series. And Jean is pregnant, so the question is if we're getting baby Nathan or Rachel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ray Chase is good so I’m fine with that