Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Sounds like Biden should ask Wray to resign.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1753180214077620728

Oregon senate Republicans did another walkout after they passed a ballot initiative to ban walkouts and found out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1753180214077620728

Oregon senate Republicans did another walkout after they passed a ballot initiative to ban walkouts and found out.

Is this like a bigger scale version of the do a self-defeating thing ==> complain about it to the base-strategy? They walked out even though they knew it was banned because then it would look like they were being oppressed?

That’s the closest I can come up with for a rationale. I don’t like assuming people I disagree with are just stupid, but it’s really hard to do that when they keep getting stymied by simple causality.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is this like a bigger scale version of the do a self-defeating thing ==> complain about it to the base-strategy? They walked out even though they knew it was banned because then it would look like they were being oppressed?

That’s the closest I can come up with for a rationale. I don’t like assuming people I disagree with are just stupid, but it’s really hard to do that when they keep getting stymied by simple causality.

Nobody really campaigned against the ballot measure and I don't think anyone will be very sympathetic to politicians saying having to do their jobs is unfair. I guess they might not care about running for reelection.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did Oregon close the loophole that allowed the walkouts to be effective?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O sure. It is stupid, and gently caress those guys.

I was just trying to suss out the internal axioms and emotional levers that could get a bunch of people to do a stupid thing en masse. I’m assuming they think/thought something else will/would happen.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

haveblue posted:

Did Oregon close the loophole that allowed the walkouts to be effective?

We had a ballot initiative (Measure 113) in 2022 which passed by over 68% that prohibits members of congress from running for re-election after their current term if they have 10 or more absences.

The wording was challenged by the Republicans but the intent of the initiative was pretty clear. Some are challenging it in federal court but I don’t think it’s going to go any better for them.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xiahou Dun posted:

O sure. It is stupid, and gently caress those guys.

I was just trying to suss out the internal axioms and emotional levers that could get a bunch of people to do a stupid thing en masse. I’m assuming they think/thought something else will/would happen.

Their argument was that they thought loving around meant that next term would be their last, not this one. So a bunch of people hosed around because they miscalculated when they would be facing the consequences of their actions.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Okay, thank you.

If I did that in a boardgame it’d haunt me. Holy poo poo.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah it’s a huge truly insane mistake for the right to go nuts on Swift and the NFL.

It might end up being their “Have you no sense decency, Sir?” moment. GOP politics is now incels tweeting about a pop stars mons pubis being gay.

The "have you no decency" moment hinged on other people having said quality. The conventional wisdom around the MAGA crowd seems to be that they do not, and the polarization of the US voting populace seems to revolve around this. You can pick your favourite three Trump quotes that'd fit the decency bill just as well, and the answer was a resounding "gently caress you, got mine" already.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rappaport posted:

The "have you no decency" moment hinged on other people having said quality. The conventional wisdom around the MAGA crowd seems to be that they do not, and the polarization of the US voting populace seems to revolve around this. You can pick your favourite three Trump quotes that'd fit the decency bill just as well, and the answer was a resounding "gently caress you, got mine" already.

Those moments came and went. The moderates and independents have listened and mostly abandoned trump and the gop. My dad sure as gently caress has. I think a lot of people had some faith the gop would do the right thing afte January 6th and they did for less than half a day and now they have been losing steadily ever since.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrchoupon posted:

We had a ballot initiative (Measure 113) in 2022 which passed by over 68% that prohibits members of congress from running for re-election after their current term if they have 10 or more absences.

The wording was challenged by the Republicans but the intent of the initiative was pretty clear. Some are challenging it in federal court but I don’t think it’s going to go any better for them.

I mean, did you change a quorum to be 50%+1 rather than somewhat more than that

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

haveblue posted:

I mean, did you change a quorum to be 50%+1 rather than somewhat more than that

Nope! It'll be a new set of jackasses doing it in a few years though.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kagrenak posted:

I don't know how we restore our broken institutions and build trust again after regulatory capture. A lot of us in the biomedical field were asking the same questions about CBER after the absurd approval of aducanumab.

question about dis. The drug is purportedly* supposed to slow the progression of the disease so I would assume, despite the side effects, it would be given at all stages (at least until sometime this year when supplies out), rather than the case of being approved/tested for people dying who just want to take a shot?

With the latter, it seems it would be ethically fraught to give Alzheimer's patients in such an advanced stage the drug or test on them even if they (or their caretakers/medical decision makers) were at the point of throwing things against the wall in desperation. Though I understand some patient advocacy groups were pro-approval.

idk the ins and outs of this case and idk who would. Obviously making it economically "viable" for Biogen seemed problematic even after approval so they abandoned it.

*evidence did not seem to show this

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Cranappleberry posted:

question about dis. The drug is purportedly* supposed to slow the progression of the disease so I would assume, despite the side effects, it would be given at all stages (at least until sometime this year when supplies out), rather than the case of being approved/tested for people dying who just want to take a shot?

With the latter, it seems it would be ethically fraught to give Alzheimer's patients in such an advanced stage the drug or test on them even if they (or their caretakers/medical decision makers) were at the point of throwing things against the wall in desperation. Though I understand some patient advocacy groups were pro-approval.

idk the ins and outs of this case and idk who would. Obviously making it economically "viable" for Biogen seemed problematic even after approval so they abandoned it.

*evidence did not seem to show this

The problem with aducanumab (imo and in the opinion of most people I've spoken to about it) is that there maybe is potential for it to be efficacious against the progression of the disease. However, the safety signals (mostly brain bleeds) are so large as to make the only somewhat above statistical significance slowing of progression not worthwhile.

The other problem is that the mechanism of action which they are using means that the reverse of what you're suggesting is what should have happened. The FDA should have told them to go back and figure out demographic or biomarker indicators for who is most likely to suffer from the brain bleed AEs and go back to a much earlier diagnosed patient population and run a longer trial with more stringent patient selection. Once the amyloid has built up the damage is done and stopping it at the earliest phase is most important. At the same time, we (the scientific community) need to go back and look for an etiology for Alzheimer's which occurs prior to or independent of amyloid beta plaque formation as blocking AB formation seems to only provide very modest disease modification in the best of cases.

I will end on the caveat that I have not gone and done much new research on this subject since the aducanumab approval a couple years ago and more promising data about anti-amyloid antibodies may be out from post-marketing approval studies. However, I stand by my position that the data at the time warranted a complete response letter (non-approval) for the BLA telling them to go back and do further studies. The data were so bad many payers would not cover it or only would at a much lower price than they were offering it. I actually just saw this news article as I was typing out this post, as you mentioned they're withdrawing the drug due to lack of patient use. I've got some people to text as I feel very vindicated now lol.

Wahhabi Lobby
Nov 3, 2020
https://x.com/sprinter99800/status/1751093240021815444?s=46

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I think taking the statue down is more silly and performative than anything else, but Jefferson's a complicated guy and he's not from New York, so I have a hard time getting upset by this.

He has more than enough statues in Virginia to balance out having one less in a state which came from the colony with the most Loyalists during the Revolutionary War anyways...

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

This happened over two years ago and he was a slave owner and rapist anyway

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Kagrenak posted:

This happened over two years ago and he was a slave owner and rapist anyway

Yeah. I'm not quite sure why it started going viral again recently, but I have seen various tweets like the one shared in this thread about it all this week.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah. I'm not quite sure why it started going viral again recently, but I have seen various tweets like the one shared in this thread about it all this week.

probably because its a forgetebble one and they can trick chuds into thinking its recent.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Interesting pronoun use.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Why are you posting tweets from Sprinter9980.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like a lot of this anti-Swift thing is coming from Trump specifically. He's just Big Mad that she is way more popular than him.

I think part of it too is that the right wants to have some sort of big cultural victory like they had un-making the Dixie Chicks back during W's presidency. Some big feather in their cap they can use to keep pop culture in check.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Why are you posting tweets from Sprinter9980.

Sprinter9979 was down?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's not even the real statue. The actual statue is in the US Capitol Rotunda. New York just got the plaster model that was used as the model for the final statue.

In any case, while it rarely catches the attention of the press or politicians, there's another reason for moving the statue - its location in a heavily-used room made it prone to damage, which was noted when it underwent restoration in 2010. Plaster statues are relatively vulnerable to physical damage, compared to the real bronze statue. Sending it to the New York Historical Society would allow it to be protected and conserved properly.

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's an election year, Trump's court cases are going very poorly, and New Hampshire suggests Trump's lead is a lot weaker than expected. The chudosphere has any number of reasons to want to get the base worked up about something relatively unimportant.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Just to clarify, Sprinter99800 regularly posts lying poo poo and got banned from Twitter for a while for it and also worshiping a Syrian war criminal to the point of having his picture as their profile pic. Probably the worst source you can think of. Look at how they posted the statue thing without even knowing when or why it was done.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Replace it with a copy of the thirst trap Abe Lincoln statue from the LA Court House

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Talk about a Lincoln log

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kagrenak posted:

The problem with aducanumab (imo and in the opinion of most people I've spoken to about it) is that there maybe is potential for it to be efficacious against the progression of the disease. However, the safety signals (mostly brain bleeds) are so large as to make the only somewhat above statistical significance slowing of progression not worthwhile.

The other problem is that the mechanism of action which they are using means that the reverse of what you're suggesting is what should have happened. The FDA should have told them to go back and figure out demographic or biomarker indicators for who is most likely to suffer from the brain bleed AEs and go back to a much earlier diagnosed patient population and run a longer trial with more stringent patient selection. Once the amyloid has built up the damage is done and stopping it at the earliest phase is most important. At the same time, we (the scientific community) need to go back and look for an etiology for Alzheimer's which occurs prior to or independent of amyloid beta plaque formation as blocking AB formation seems to only provide very modest disease modification in the best of cases.

I will end on the caveat that I have not gone and done much new research on this subject since the aducanumab approval a couple years ago and more promising data about anti-amyloid antibodies may be out from post-marketing approval studies. However, I stand by my position that the data at the time warranted a complete response letter (non-approval) for the BLA telling them to go back and do further studies. The data were so bad many payers would not cover it or only would at a much lower price than they were offering it. I actually just saw this news article as I was typing out this post, as you mentioned they're withdrawing the drug due to lack of patient use. I've got some people to text as I feel very vindicated now lol.

this is the info I was looking for (outside of the unlikely case someone posts insider specifics). ty

also a thin therapeutic index or potentially horrible side-effects doesnt necessarily invalidate use, especially with a deadly, incurable disease but it does mean going back and doing more testing, just as you said, to narrow down where, how, when, who, as well as dosage and scheduling, as well as identifying proper followup care.

but that stuff costs time and money and narrows down potential sales, heaven forfend

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 2, 2024

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I know Trump never follows through with anything but man I wish he had made his statue garden because that would be hilarious

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The US retaliatory strikes have begun, let the war gods feast.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

The US retaliatory strikes have begun, let the war gods feast.

It's helpful to provide a link to the actual developing story when you say things like this. I think most of us had an idea of what you meant but still.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/02/world/us-iran-strikes-middle-east-news

Cranappleberry posted:

this is the info I was looking for (outside of the unlikely case someone posts insider specifics). ty

also a thin therapeutic index or potentially horrible side-effects doesnt necessarily invalidate use, especially with a deadly, incurable disease but it does mean going back and doing more testing, just as you said, to narrow down where, how, when, who, as well as dosage and scheduling, as well as identifying proper followup care.

but that stuff costs time and money and narrows down potential sales, heaven forfend

np

Imo the observed AEs are way too big to be worth the honestly basically clinically irrelevant gain that they only managed to show after a deep messaging of the data. (Read: basically cherry picking). Aducanumab was always doomed.

The Lily antibody at least might be right around the breakeven and if they can figure out warning signs of the AEs or properly stratify pt populations then it might be worth it. Why it seems to be better is not entirely clear to me but it likely has to do with epitope selection (where on the amyloid protein the antibody binds to)

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 2, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Glumslinger posted:

Replace it with a copy of the thirst trap Abe Lincoln statue from the LA Court House

You could have told me this was intended as a statue of Gavin Newsom and I'd have believed it.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

You could have told me this was intended as a statue of Gavin Newsom David Bowie and I'd have believed it.

Ftfy

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Speaking of statues of rapists....

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-poll-biden-war-gaza-4159b28d313c6c37abdb7f14162bcdd1

Joe Biden, Warmonger, is now more extreme than most independents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts running to the left of Biden on this issue since even Republicans are starting to find Israel going too far in notable amounts

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

koolkal posted:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-poll-biden-war-gaza-4159b28d313c6c37abdb7f14162bcdd1

Joe Biden, Warmonger, is now more extreme than most independents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts running to the left of Biden on this issue since even Republicans are starting to find Israel going too far in notable amounts

... the guy who cut palestine aid and moved the embassary to jerusalem? that guy?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I'm not sure how Joe Biden is a warmonger when he pulled out of Afghanistan and whose military interventions are mainly at the Bill Clinton level? In our life times we had the double invasions of Iraq/Afghanistan, and Trump bringing the US to the brink of conflict with Iran.

e:

quote:

Trump in 2016 ran on an ambiguous platform of being all things to everyone; but ultimately did things like letting Turkey try to genocide the kurds and nearly started WW3 with Iran, and of course reversed Obama's efforts to normalize relations with Cuba (in which it is disappointing that Biden has had the political will or capital to unreverse afaik); and also it was Trump who gave arms to Ukraine when Obama had been hesitant to do for fear of "escalating" things. Trump can run on universal healthcare and trans rights but it doesn't make it remotely plausible that he will do so.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 3, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Trump bringing the US to the brink of conflict with Iran.

Well you have a point, Biden never brought us to the brink of conflict, he dove right into a conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

koolkal posted:

Well you have a point, Biden never brought us to the brink of conflict, he dove right into a conflict.

When? (With Iran, directly?)