Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Potato Salad posted:

we need more energy technologies that nobody will actually want to spend money on using

nuclear powered trains
boats that catch fire for no reason
submarines that only go down
maglev hovercraft that only work so long as the ocean is full of liquid nitrogen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

silentsnack posted:

nuclear powered trains

People had ideas for nuclear powered aircraft at one time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear-powered_aircraft

The main drawbacks were that they would irradiate absolutely loving everything they flew over, and also the crew/passengers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

not seeing the problem. more atoms is better, right?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

All we need is some sort of room-temperature superconductor.

If we could get that we'd probably end up focusing on coilguns vs railguns.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

We need to decide as a species what our war gimmick is gonna be. Are humans gonna have a big gun, or swarms of small guns? we gotta decide before we find aliens so we can counter their units and get our rush strategy down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stoatbringer posted:

The main drawbacks were that they would irradiate absolutely loving everything they flew over, and also the crew/passengers.

All you have to do is choose a mission where that is acceptable or even a bonus

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

holtemon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/tTztKQO.mp4

My concern would be where is this bullet gonna end up lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMODPOmB-cA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A Moose posted:

We need to decide as a species what our war gimmick is gonna be. Are humans gonna have a big gun, or swarms of small guns? we gotta decide before we find aliens so we can counter their units and get our rush strategy down

All anyone needs is a Powerbook to hack into the ET's computers.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

A Moose posted:

swarms of expendable units with one highly intelligent and powerful overmind (i volunteer to be overmind)

vv :mad:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mozi posted:

swarms of expendable units with one highly intelligent and powerful overmind (i volunteer to be overmind)

The overmind needs to be highly intelligent and powerful.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mozi posted:

Only if you agree to rig everything so the swarms of units instantly go catatonic or explode when you die

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

McGavin posted:

The overmind needs to be highly intelligent and powerful.

It's like you've never played a computer game.

It needs to be ineffably infantile with a glowing weak spot on its scrote.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i'm a shoo-in

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Also, you need to periodically flash your opponent for no apparent reason during combat

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/pt03...2e1d6020d1a#t=0

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Stoatbringer posted:

There's even a novel about them that is absolutely hilarious.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

silentsnack posted:

boats that catch fire for no reason
We already have those. They're called 'boats'

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wait. That was the intended outcome? Are they trying to rebuild a flooded road with trucks full of dirt? Are they filming double insurance fraud?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
iirc it was something of a temporary makeshift levee repair measure

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stoatbringer posted:

Nah, the crew was shielded. You couldn't carry enough weight to shield the entire reactor, but the NB-36 had a big lead shadow shield in between the reactor and the crew. For testing what they'd do is taxi over a big pit in the ground, lower the reactor into the pit, and now it was safe(ish) for the ground crew to approach and hook up a tug.

Granted, that solves nowhere near all the problems. And it never flew under reactor power, but they did fly it with the reactor operating for 90 hours. A lot of that poo poo was back-burnered when ICBMs turned out to be easier than anyone else thought.

So far as nuclear trains go, my favorite idea was the one with horizontally-opposed piston engine where the cylinders were filled with enriched uranium hexafluoride gas, and you'd go supercritical on the compression stroke.

THE NUCLEAR PISTON ENGINE AND PULSED GASEOUS CORE REACTOR POWER SYSTEMS By EDWARD T. DUGAN

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

Wait. That was the intended outcome? Are they trying to rebuild a flooded road with trucks full of dirt? Are they filming double insurance fraud?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california/article/flooding-farmers-truck-levee-video-17841260.php

They’re protecting their pistachios from flooding.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I love the smell of engine oil in my pistachios. It smells of victory!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Mozi posted:

iirc it was something of a temporary makeshift levee repair measure

This was done on a bigger scale with this boat:

That dike is close to a densely populated region of the Netherlands, much of which is below sea level. Those dudes saved probably millions of people from homelessness.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I see the Ever Given is in good company.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Leandros posted:

This was done on a bigger scale with this boat:

That dike is close to a densely populated region of the Netherlands, much of which is below sea level. Those dudes saved probably millions of people from homelessness.

that guy is a hero, but only by contrast with the guys who designed the dike.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Foxfire_ posted:

We already have those. They're called Russian boats.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I am a fan of two ill-advised projects:

Nuclear shaped charges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casaba-Howitzer

Nuclear powered missile - with bonus fallout-generating engine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pluto

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Nah, the crew was shielded. You couldn't carry enough weight to shield the entire reactor, but the NB-36 had a big lead shadow shield in between the reactor and the crew. For testing what they'd do is taxi over a big pit in the ground, lower the reactor into the pit, and now it was safe(ish) for the ground crew to approach and hook up a tug.

Granted, that solves nowhere near all the problems. And it never flew under reactor power, but they did fly it with the reactor operating for 90 hours. A lot of that poo poo was back-burnered when ICBMs turned out to be easier than anyone else thought.

So far as nuclear trains go, my favorite idea was the one with horizontally-opposed piston engine where the cylinders were filled with enriched uranium hexafluoride gas, and you'd go supercritical on the compression stroke.

THE NUCLEAR PISTON ENGINE AND PULSED GASEOUS CORE REACTOR POWER SYSTEMS By EDWARD T. DUGAN

Didn't that project use literal tons of mercury as a moderator? I remember reading that afterwards they spent several years slowly putting the remainder back into circulation to avoid crashing the price of it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Drove my chevy in to the levy cause the levy weren't dry.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Phanatic posted:

NM, I was totally mistaken

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 2, 2024

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

ComradePyro posted:

that guy is a hero, but only by contrast with the guys who designed the dike.

Nah it was a team effort, the mayor actually commandeered him in name of the queen and he initially refused. They made a good plan and it worked out. Besides that, this happened during a catastrophic storm with the water going 5m+ above MSL, the dikes were solid but not made for this level of abuse.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

I am a fan of two ill-advised projects:

Nuclear shaped charges:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casaba-Howitzer

Casaba howitzers, ill-advised? Come on! That's as close as we're gonna get to a wave motion gun in real life.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Didn't that project use literal tons of mercury as a moderator? I remember reading that afterwards they spent several years slowly putting the remainder back into circulation to avoid crashing the price of it.

Certainly not as a moderator, mercury would make about the worst moderator possible. We've used it as a coolant in liquid metal-cooled reactors, but no, the NB-36 didn't use liquid metal coolant.

There were two early reactor designs for the program. In one, the indirect cycle, there would have indeed been a liquid-metal cooled reactor, with a primary and a secondary coolant loop, the latter of which would have routed the coolant out to the engines to transfer their heat to the air, heating it and propelling out the back of the engine. That never went anyway, the B36 scheme was for a reactor directly cooled with air.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/44pfah5cz2gc1/DASH_1080.mp4

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Jesus, am I missing something, or could they have not lowered the bucket before dumping the dog?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ironhead posted:

Jesus, am I missing something, or could they have not lowered the bucket before dumping the dog?

Dirt looks real loose at least but yeah probly dropped him so he wouldn't jump out at height again.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
They were in too big of a hurry for it to be a 'heartwarming rescue mission' imo. More like 'fling the dog out of the pit pronto'

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ironhead posted:

They're used to rescuing cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ironhead posted:

It's often hard to control where the dogs dump occurs.