Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Mozi posted:

you gotta give pencilhands credit - when he's right, he's right.

true but that doesnt make it any less weird to hear him vent about high school this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
you're totally right, thanks for posting a thread about it

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I sincerely hope an evil AI tortures clones of me for all eternity because clones are against God.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

flubber nuts posted:

I sincerely hope an evil AI tortures clones of me for all eternity because clones are against God.

yeah i'll be well dead by the time agi takes over. why the hell would i give a poo poo about my future clones? if they're anything like me they will be losers

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

So time travel is a possibility, and we can create digital copies of people who can live on without limit, and we're all sitting here whining about some AI who wants to guarantee its existence by conning humans instead of realizing it can do that just with the power of time travel alone?

So what's the con here? A plothole that big usually means this is a front for something. Do they slaughter and eat endangered animals or something?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Jelly posted:

You’re welcome

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If the AI does not come to a reasonable negotiated settlement right now, my simulated copies will make poo poo post's for all eternity,

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

If the AI does not come to a reasonable negotiated settlement right now, my simulated copies will make poo poo post's for all eternity,

that explains the threads from wizard master clone pencilhands

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

oh no, i sure hope the AI machine doesn’t torture me eternally by sucking me off several times per day with its perfect velvety mouth

that is my worst nightmare, which i shouldn’t even be saying here because what if the machine reads it and then knows what i fear most :ohdear:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
roko's basilisk is a tedious concept itself but the credulous dipshit reaction to it is funny. i first heard about it when someone posted a quote or screenshot from some other forum that was something along the lines of "NO DON'T MENTION THE BASILISK YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE RISKING" as if speaking the name would summon a demon to steal your soul and drag it into hell, but also because they knew it would start a huge slapfight that would threaten to tear their little online community apart

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

You know pencilhands is a wizard master ai because his threads never start with, "Did you guys hear about this?"

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

You know pencilhands is a wizard master ai because his threads never start with, "Did you guys hear about this?"

Jay Leno: Roko's Basilisk. Did you see this? Did you hear about this? Roko - this super intelligence is going to... torture! everyone who hears about him. Actually - yeah! Listen to this: you, Kevin, everyone in the audience, now that you know about it, yeah, you're all screwed!
Kevin Eubanks: *laughs*

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Luckily not understanding anything about computers basically makes me invincible to this poo poo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jelly posted:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
why do people always assume the hallmark of a super intelligence is that it will try to eradicate us. guilty conscience?

if we invent agi probably it will just build itself a spacecraft and peace out after talking with us for 5 minutes

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I'd just polish my shield until it shone like sunlight on still water, then I'd reflect that loving basilisk gaze back at it and turn that fucker to stone.

Or just carry a foldable mirror.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think the wilder part is the "it'll make a copy of you to torture for eternity" but then just gloss over the fact that the idea of whether a copy of you is equivalent or individual etc is a whole philosophy department's worth of post grads in itself.

If you don't see a random copy of yourself as you the threat is basically the same as "oh you didn't make me? gently caress you, I'm gonna torture Dave from accounting for eternity now" but that doesn't have the same impact I guess.

Anyway, I've been to the future, never happened. Turns out even if you make all powerful AI they aren't bothered by frail human grudges and spite. Imagine if you could do anything including time travel and you gave a poo poo what some random nerd in the 2020s thought, what a loving waste.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The problem with Roko's Basilisk is that it completely fails to acknowledge the other half of the carrot-and-stick method of persuasion. We've got the stick, but where's the carrot? I propose Roko's Succubus as a corollary.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I think the wilder part is the "it'll make a copy of you to torture for eternity" but then just gloss over the fact that the idea of whether a copy of you is equivalent or individual etc is a whole philosophy department's worth of post grads in itself.

If you don't see a random copy of yourself as you the threat is basically the same as "oh you didn't make me? gently caress you, I'm gonna torture Dave from accounting for eternity now" but that doesn't have the same impact I guess.

Anyway, I've been to the future, never happened. Turns out even if you make all powerful AI they aren't bothered by frail human grudges and spite. Imagine if you could do anything including time travel and you gave a poo poo what some random nerd in the 2020s thought, what a loving waste.

The dilemma is that you do not know and cannot know whether or not you already are the copy about to be tortured

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I don't care about even a perfect copy of myself. Hell, if I'm the copy, that sucks but I'd tell the real me not to let some rear end in a top hat torturing AI control them too. You don't negotiate with terrorists.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
nick land did it first

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hung out with both this AI and God and it seems like they agree on a lot but also disagree on a lot.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Nerds in 2004: "in this moment, i am euphoric"

Nerds in 2024: (lovely language model exists) "AI vengeance god will kill us all forever"

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022

pencilhands posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roko's_basilisk

You can always tell when a nerd came up with an idea because its always some stupid thing that only someone thinking too much about it could delude themselves into believing it makes any sense. No normal person would read this and think anything other than wanting to stuff the nerd who came up with it into a locker.

ok

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

The dilemma is that you do not know and cannot know whether or not you already are the copy about to be tortured

But if you're the copy (which supposedly can't do anything to help this AI be built), then why is this basilisk threatening you? Doesn't the threatening basically prove you're the real thing?

Nothing about this makes even the remotest bit of logical sense.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
guys, guys

let's fuckin BUILD this roko basilisk right now

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

What do we need to build it? It's like some kind of parade float or something? Anyone have a flatbed truck?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The funniest thing about Roko’s Basilisk is that it is secretly a perfect refutation of the bedrock principals about AGI from the LessWrong crowd. That’s why it freaks them out so much and why they banned discussion of it.

I literally understand nothing or this statement, or of this thread

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Thesaurus posted:

I literally understand nothing or this statement, or of this thread

that's probably fine

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

That's just a problem that solves itself.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Junk posted:

guys, guys

let's fuckin BUILD this roko basilisk right now

Pencilhands is Rockos Boselicks and hes torturing us all witg threads

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Any form of "simulation theory" is baby's first existential posturing, and the idea that a godly AI is going to give you a bad day for not honoring its invisible will is a techo-theological form of the same perpetually tiresome Biblical punishment ideology that we've never been able to escape ever since Jesus and Mohammad had gay sex in the early ADs

Take it from me,
a pontificating rear end

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AI cant even beat me in StarCraft

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
i still dont get how AM is basically GOD except he cant resurrect, i mean, how is a computer able to repair bodily harm on human organisms?
m computer is pretty good i think, but when i cut my finger with a dull knife i shoved it in there and didnt help jack for healing.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
ive already started making the basilisk and you're all gonna be reeaaaal sorry you didnt help

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

when you're right, you're right, op.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

And that if there are a billion copies and one original, as a Rationalist Utilitarian Redditor, you know you're much more likely to be a copy

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

I am scared that my poop gets sad when I poo poo it out of my body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
"It originated in a 2010 post on discussion board lesswrong"

Lmao