Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

We have to go back (and draft our next Trent Williams).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Games are most consistently won in the trenches. A good OL can make almost any QB look decent. Look at Goof when he is in a clean pocket vs not. A good QB or a terrible QB. He's an extreme example, but yeah, a good OL can make so many players look better.

Speaking of good OLs making players look better.

Brock Purdy is doing what he is doing behind a terrible OL. Well, maybe just very bad. But definitely bottom 1/4 of the league.

And a dominant DL can wreck opposing offenses faster than any other position group. It's why great edge rushers rarely make it out of the top 10, or even top 5 for the can't miss ones. (usually)

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Waltzing Along posted:

Brock Purdy is doing what he is doing behind a terrible OL. Well, maybe just very bad. But definitely bottom 1/4 of the league.

I don’t think they’re quite that terrible, the NFL has a dearth of actually good lines. 49ers have a top 15 run block line and a bottom 15 pass blocking line. Remove Trent from the equation and I’d agree with you, but please don’t ever talk about removing Trent.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Yeah it's an average line this year. Feliciano has done a great job stabilizing the right side.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I think the Niners big OL issue is inconsistency. Like McKivitz actually was solid against Detroit, but who knows what he'll be next. From play to play you'll see them be great and then Aaron Banks or Feliciano will be completely pancaked by a simple power rush. A lot of their problems are alleviated by CMC being incredibly good in pass protect, but using CMC for pass protect feels like an enormous waste.

Super Bowl though so whatever let's go

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also Jyz, the TEs, the RBs, and all the WRs block, and train it a lot. Our OL is good because our run game is good and running the ball is the most important thing.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

I think the Niners big OL issue is inconsistency. Like McKivitz actually was solid against Detroit, but who knows what he'll be next. From play to play you'll see them be great and then Aaron Banks or Feliciano will be completely pancaked by a simple power rush. A lot of their problems are alleviated by CMC being incredibly good in pass protect, but using CMC for pass protect feels like an enormous waste.

Super Bowl though so whatever let's go

This is all true, but looking around the NFL, there’s what, 7-10 teams with actually good o-lines?

Eagles.
Packers.
Lions.
Browns.
Ravens.
Colts.
Vikings?
Cowboys?

And that’s pretty much it, maybe you can think of another one or two. Everyone else has a mess that’s good at some things, not at others, and is inconsistent like the 49ers line.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

This is all true, but looking around the NFL, there’s what, 7-10 teams with actually good o-lines?

Eagles.
Packers.
Lions.
Browns.
Ravens.
Colts.
Vikings?
Cowboys?

And that’s pretty much it, maybe you can think of another one or two. Everyone else has a mess that’s good at some things, not at others, and is inconsistent like the 49ers line.

Yeah for sure. I'd like them to pick up at least one good OL prospect in the early rounds of the draft this year, at least. Although it's not like their track record drafting OL has been amazing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I believe the Chiefs are top 3, as well.

And I finally remembered something when I am at a computer.

Why doesn't KS do any defensive stuff? I know he's the offense guy and he hires people to run the D for him. But, IMO, if you design an offense, you should also know what D can stop it and have counters for those things. It seems that he should be able to design more complex D's just based on his ability to make a strong offense. I know it is a lot of work and he has only so much time, as well. OTOH, he has to see how bad Wilks is, right? Especially, after Ryans the last two years ran a great D. And it's not just that the players are older now. Wilks runs a Vanilla D that is predictable while Ryans would mask coverages and things were a lot less static, which puts more pressure on the QB.

So, other than FIRE WILKS, I am wondering what I am missing. Is it as simple as one man only has so much time?

To go a step further, when he interviewed Wilks, wouldn't he ask him how he would defense various niners sets? And then it should have been obvious that he is in over his head.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Waltzing Along posted:

To go a step further, when he interviewed Wilks, wouldn't he ask him how he would defense various niners sets? And then it should have been obvious that he is in over his head.

IMO the Chiefs line is about the same as the 49ers, with Thuney out. I don’t think he’ll be back for the SB.

Afaik Wilks was hired because he had a good vision and coaching plan for the secondary. I think Kyle believed the linebackers and d-line would perform the same as in the past even with the changes behind them, but that clearly isn’t true. Part of Wilks coming down to the field was so he could talk to Warner and better coordinate with the front seven.

Honestly I think everyone saw Wilks as a one year hire and no one wanted big changes to be made to the established defensive scheme.

Edit: also they’re missing Hufanga this year, that doesn’t help with their plan for the year.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 1, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

while I'm not super impressed right now with the niners D's apparent regression under Wilks, the team did get to the superbowl
like if the D was that bad we wouldn't be there. It just has to be good enough to win games. And it is, 12 regular season ones and now two postseason ones. Maybe "just barely" but just barely counts. I think I am pretty happy right now with how good the 49ers are. It'd probably be weird to immediately fire the defensive coordinator after winning the superbowl. Maybe if they lose due to a spectacular defensive failure, but even so: super bowl team, it's tough to be that harsh about it, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it's just because they were so clearly better last year. This year they have won by outscoring people for the most part. Their run D has been bad pretty much all year. Their pass rush is good but not as good as it should be. The pass D is pretty good, though. Watching the D this year would be like watching game after game of the offense scoring 24 points. It works but it should be much better.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Also the nature of their mistakes is just really frustrating, just a lot of missed tackles and wide open cutback lanes and penalties and it's all very annoying. They've buckled down in key spots and it's been enough and it's to their credit, but you can't help but suspect there's a more dominant unit in there somewhere that we've hardly seen a hint of since Thanksgiving or so

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
How does anyone not love George Kittle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIISuh-RXo4

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They just need to get off the field on 3rd and 10+s. Get back to the bench where any good defense should be.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I'm most afraid of our offense and defense playing well but a missed Jake Moody field goal wins it for KC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

OGS-Remix posted:

I'm most afraid of our offense and defense playing well but The refs wins it for KC.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm afraid that despite playing quite well, the kansas city chiefs must just be better at football right now, by a bit, and so they win

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Mahomes will win

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A new channel with some fantastic fanalysis. He's catching a lot of little details that nobody else mentions. The Lions blocked Bosa with a WR on a couple of plays and it worked for them. That's good scheme by the Lions and I'm a more knowledgeable fan because I saw it. I'd subscribed and hit the bell by halftime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEMD61GBzk

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

mllaneza posted:

A new channel with some fantastic fanalysis. He's catching a lot of little details that nobody else mentions. The Lions blocked Bosa with a WR on a couple of plays and it worked for them. That's good scheme by the Lions and I'm a more knowledgeable fan because I saw it. I'd subscribed and hit the bell by halftime.

That’s a crack block on the edge. Jim Harbaugh 49ers used the crack block a lot, but in different blocking scheme.

Edit: you probably remember the wham blocks more, which are basically crack blocks with motion.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 1, 2024

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

mllaneza posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEMD61GBzk

The Packers used crack blocks a ton in the Divisional round and it worked so the Lions did the same and it also worked. Johnny Del places most of the blame on the LBs and DBs in those situations as they're supposed to scrape and replace the DLs that get blocked.

I think Kocurek was given free rein to do what he wanted with the DL this year with Wilks working with the DBs. Wonder if that has had a negative impact as well.

Waltzing Along posted:

Why doesn't KS do any defensive stuff? I know he's the offense guy and he hires people to run the D for him. But, IMO, if you design an offense, you should also know what D can stop it and have counters for those things. It seems that he should be able to design more complex D's just based on his ability to make a strong offense. I know it is a lot of work and he has only so much time, as well. OTOH, he has to see how bad Wilks is, right? Especially, after Ryans the last two years ran a great D. And it's not just that the players are older now. Wilks runs a Vanilla D that is predictable while Ryans would mask coverages and things were a lot less static, which puts more pressure on the QB.

So, other than FIRE WILKS, I am wondering what I am missing. Is it as simple as one man only has so much time?

From what i've read, Shanahan does go over the defense with the D-coordinator every week, Wilks has said Kyle has a ton of knowledge about defensive fronts and I assume he makes suggestions. However Shanahan can't do everything each week and he's better utilized to focus primarily on the offensive scheme.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Breaking news: Brock Purdy getting PAID with his new contract with Toyota :dance:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nf...report/1698252/

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Dude probably has to commute in from Gilroy with his current salary

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
No way. He could totally cover a studio nearby as long as he doesn't own a car.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know you guys are joking, but after endorsements and taxes and stuff, Purdy is making at a minimum 1/2 a million a year. Probably closer to a million.

He probably lives in east palo alto in a motel.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A bunch of 49ers live in Morgan Hill, including Deebo.
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/morgan-hill-hometown-sf-49ers-18628735.php

Also I love Shanny knows Kittle's gonna be held on this play and tells a ref
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS86UCSiivo

Love it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

Dude probably has to commute in from Gilroy with his current salary

He's roommates with one of the other players iirc

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

lol, ryan grubb might leave alabama to OC for the 'hawks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Purdy’s salary for the last year was $870k. Piddling in NFL terms, but c’mon. Staying with a teammate is sensible, but mostly because it’s presumably not safe/considerate for him to live in a normal house in a random South Bay suburb, not because he couldn’t afford one.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
See, we're doing something called exaggerating for comedic effect, because of how expensive the San Jose area is. It is humorous, because rent is very high, but also grimly relatable, because it is a struggle to maintain a good standard of living. I hope this explanation of comedy has proved helpful for you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

In this NFL where players almost always play for more than one team, it's petty as hell to hate on a guy who did legendary things for your team just because he played somewhere else. It's the nature of the business. Getting franchise tagged to prevent you from earning what you're worth on the free agency market sucks, actually. Many elite players have to hit that market to make their money in their prime years, and many non-elite players have to hit that market to keep a job at all.

If you want to talk about traitors, look at the team owners who abandoned a city because they wouldn't pay for a multi-billion dollar stadium for their for-profit entertainment company. Most recently Dean Spanos, Stan Kroenke, and Mark Davis. Those guys betrayed their fans. gently caress those guys.

For players, especially considering the nature of the contracts. Not like the more guaranteed NBA or MLB contracts.

And yep, I really wish American sports teams weren’t rich people’s playthings. And I know it’s gonna be annoying to see some old white dude lifting the Lombardi trophy first, like they deserve any of the loving credit.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Once Deebo gets a new contract he might be able to afford to move to the peninsula.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
My Mom is from the peninsula (her uncle was friends with Bill Walsh, lol) and she basically can never move back home. Her childhood home that her family bought in 1947 for $4000 is worth like $3.5 million now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
NIMBYs loving suck. They should be second against the wall after the fascists.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I had to move out of east palo alto like a few years ago and we couldn’t afford to find somewhere even close because rent prices were high. The house we had was like 125k i think. Now live in the east bay but yeah lol not gonna be able to move back to EPA.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Born and raised in SF.

gently caress the tech bros.
gently caress the nimbys.
gently caress everyone who ruined that place.
Just let a big earthquake come and knock it into the ocean.

As much as I hate all the climate change forecasts, I take particular glee when I see how the 20% of the city that is basically brand new and completely sucks is going to be underwater in my lifetime.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I came extremely close to moving to the bay in 2021, but my job decided that remote work was possible. I was excited for the possibility but also scared of having to deal with bay area prices. Alas, it is no longer a concern!

(90% most likely I would have moved to San Jose).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I live where all the retired chuds and cops from California move to. Our house value has doubled since we bought it in 17'. Lots of SF fans here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mustached Demon posted:

I live where all the retired chuds and cops from California move to.

Hell?