Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think having one middle eastern character in your roster of 30 is especially pandering.

I meant pandering to Saudi not that they were pandering to arabs and or the ME. Saudi has thrown a lot of money at (everything, but also) esports and gaming. Also Zafina is on the roster btw.

Sidenote- I think it would've been cool to get a Pakistani character in the game to tip the cap to how great their emergence during t7 was and how big their results have been.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah also gently caress any long range poke ever cause im gonna b1+2 through it or get owned trying

Have you tried his running grab yet after heat engager? They have no idea what hit them.

Yes and yes, Paul rocks

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I just fought what might have been only the 2nd Xiaoyu I've ever faced and each and every round she'd lead off with some weird low kick/slide combo thing that i'm too dumb to avoid
so 2nd game I'm like "I got this" :smuggo:

https://streamable.com/hr0lsd

Orv
May 4, 2011
Conditioned straight out of existence, beautiful

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh man Lili is super cool and fun, also I did forget about her cat Salt and having the cat show up in her intro and win screens sometimes? goty

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

How's Feng in t8. Dabbled with him a bit in 7 before he got really strong near the end

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Fought 4 different Reinas in a row in ranked. She certainly seems to be popular. I was also Reina (beat all but 1!).

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hit green rank. i have begun to learn lee secrets. marvelous.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I kinda do feel bad for newcomers at the moment lol. I started T7 about a year into the game cycle and in ranked everyone was as crappy as me and same with casual. Casual and ranked are filled with people on 0 points who were high level t7 players. That should adjust itself in due time. I get it though, I didnt touch ranked for a week because I wanted to learn a whole new character and and the new system. What I'm getting at is things will level out soon enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nice Van My Man posted:

Fought 4 different Reinas in a row in ranked. She certainly seems to be popular. I was also Reina (beat all but 1!).

It seems like it, finally going against the cliche that T7 players hate playing women, I guess being a Mishima is more important lol

https://twitter.com/AlietteFaye/status/1753217490971246997

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Poor Panda :(

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Jun fun tech, that I'm sure I'll look back at in 6 months and think 'You fuckin' clown Shockeh'

* b1 (Violet) is a slow (29f) starting low leaves you on +6, and on CH, turns into a Throw. It's cool, Jun and Asuka have had it forever. It makes you VERY low, but I haven't checked how many things it goes under. (Gut instinct? A lot.)
* b1, however, can be cancelled by holding down, leaving here in Full Crouch. And then the fun begins.
* Jun has a throw (FC db+1+2, requires a 1+2 break) that toss them vertically in the air behind you (and fucks the Tekken 8 camera, it really can't handle it) and absolutely is a combo starter for literally whatever you fancy doing.

You can guess how many players so far have managed to break that Throw, after you get a move that comes in low, and they've either tried to block or Parry it. (It's zero. Absolutely none.)

It's utterly basic, Day 1 stuff, but it made me feel clever, at least. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0YODDaKLU

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 2, 2024

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I have not played Tekken in ages but picked this up to celebrate my new apartment where I finally have wired Internet in my bedroom where I play games again. Being stuck on WiFi made me essentially quit fighting games for multiple years.

Dabbling in Feng and Azucena so far, I'd be a lot better at either of them if I just picked and labbed for a while but it is too drat fun to just queue up and fight people even while having very little idea what I am actually doing.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
That seems like a really reasonable distribution of character choices, honestly. It looks like a huge disparity on that graph, but it's close enough where individual experience can run completely contrary. Like personally I've seen a bunch of Howarangs and Ninas and even a few Kumas, but I don't think I've fought Vincent once.

Kind of a refreshing change after wading through the Sea of Kens, honestly.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It seems like it, finally going against the cliche that T7 players hate playing women, I guess being a Mishima is more important lol

I’m surprised Law’s so low. The stigma must be rubbing off on people.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sinatrapod posted:

That seems like a really reasonable distribution of character choices, honestly. It looks like a huge disparity on that graph, but it's close enough where individual experience can run completely contrary. Like personally I've seen a bunch of Howarangs and Ninas and even a few Kumas, but I don't think I've fought Vincent once.

Kind of a refreshing change after wading through the Sea of Kens, honestly.

Yeah it's only covering the top 10,000 players so it's going to skew to the "pick a top tier" playerbase too lol

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah it's only covering the top 10,000 players so it's going to skew to the "pick a top tier" playerbase too lol

That distribution is really good for a roster of 32 though. It's a slow drop after the top 5.

I wonder if the leaderboard cutoff messes with the accuracy in more ways.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 2, 2024

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I was surprised to see how low Feng is.

I'm partially playing him because I did on ps2 years ago but also from the buzz I've heard people mentioning he seems strong and a good choice to learn with.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Shockeh posted:

Jun fun tech, that I'm sure I'll look back at in 6 months and think 'You fuckin' clown Shockeh'

* b1 (Violet) is a slow (29f) starting low leaves you on +6, and on CH, turns into a Throw. It's cool, Jun and Asuka have had it forever. It makes you VERY low, but I haven't checked how many things it goes under. (Gut instinct? A lot.)
* b1, however, can be cancelled by holding down, leaving here in Full Crouch. And then the fun begins.
* Jun has a throw (FC db+1+2, requires a 1+2 break) that toss them vertically in the air behind you (and fucks the Tekken 8 camera, it really can't handle it) and absolutely is a combo starter for literally whatever you fancy doing.

You can guess how many players so far have managed to break that Throw, after you get a move that comes in low, and they've either tried to block or Parry it. (It's zero. Absolutely none.)

It's utterly basic, Day 1 stuff, but it made me feel clever, at least. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0YODDaKLU

nice tech :tipshat:

also works for all the other stuff you can cancel into crouch like the f+2 uppercut (which you can really easily condition the opponent to respect) and genjutsu stance

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

His d4 has very long range as a good non-committal low poke, d3 is a bit stubbier and has worse frames but in exchange on CH you get d3,2 for decent damage and in 8 if you hold 1+2 on the 2's hit he goes into his install state

Yeah d4 was what I was thinking about, though it is nice to know that d3 has a place as well, cheers. Motion inputs like qcb for something like a premiere low is always a bit tricky, if you've played other fighters before then it's no biggy, but if Tekken is your first fighting game then motion inputs do actually take time and practice to get right in a match. But with some good stuff like d4 there are at least alternatives.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I kinda do feel bad for newcomers at the moment lol. I started T7 about a year into the game cycle and in ranked everyone was as crappy as me and same with casual. Casual and ranked are filled with people on 0 points who were high level t7 players. That should adjust itself in due time. I get it though, I didnt touch ranked for a week because I wanted to learn a whole new character and and the new system. What I'm getting at is things will level out soon enough.

It's genuinely funny because I'll go from fighting someone that can't move and I can just run mindless offense on/launch to someone like the Bryan who low parried my second low game 1 into a full combo and absolutely demolished me. I don't think he'd lost a game yet

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I actually kinda enjoy going up against undercover Tekken God Primes because you get a fun preview of what a character can really do

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Seltzer posted:

I think I'm that person you're describing since this is my first Tekken since 3? Yeah my formative T8 experience has been in ranked - the whiplash of playing a Claudio who let me raw db2+3 over and over because "how do I dodge low?" Straight into a Leo with a 23 win streak (which I added to!) Thankfully the tools on-hand in the game are pretty good at telling me where I went wrong and what I can do better next time. I think otherwise the only person I ran into who was definitely at the wrong rank was a Kazuya with very oppressive pressure. I'm definitely not discouraged and the lack of rank loss at my level is a godsend at keeping me from tilting, its been a super enjoyable experience so far.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

I actually kinda enjoy going up against undercover Tekken God Primes because you get a fun preview of what a character can really do

:same:

It's a really useful test of "hey does this actually work?" which, in my case at least has resulted in mostly "oops no, now I'm dead" but ya gotta learn somehow!

Speaking of learning, is there a way to just take control of a replay? The tips functions is great, but it's shown me once or twice that a string is duckable but not let me actually take control of the replay to practice ducking it. Also I've seen a few strings that are -10 that I'd like to try and build muscle memory for punishing, but it never seems to give me the chance and as far as I can tell there's no "give me control of the replay" button?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:same:

It's a really useful test of "hey does this actually work?" which, in my case at least has resulted in mostly "oops no, now I'm dead" but ya gotta learn somehow!

Speaking of learning, is there a way to just take control of a replay? The tips functions is great, but it's shown me once or twice that a string is duckable but not let me actually take control of the replay to practice ducking it. Also I've seen a few strings that are -10 that I'd like to try and build muscle memory for punishing, but it never seems to give me the chance and as far as I can tell there's no "give me control of the replay" button?

I play on the PS5 version so don't know what the PC input is but during a replay and tips I can click in the left or right stick to control P1/P2 respectively.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Giving up stick and becoming a pad player just so I can use replay viewer properly

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

I play on the PS5 version so don't know what the PC input is but during a replay and tips I can click in the left or right stick to control P1/P2 respectively.

Ah ok. I do have the RS and LS buttons on my arcade stick so I'll try booting that up and see if it works? On PC though so the buttons are probably totally different

Looking at the bottom of the screen/pause menu it just didn't seem to say anything but I figured there must be a way. Thanks!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I feel like there's a lot of sneaky macro players out there.

Like, absolute shitters who can't block to save their life, have no concept of spacing or movement around the arena, know precisely one combo, but can chain EWGFs flawlessly 9 times in a row.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
You get automatic ewgfs in heat. Or they just practiced electrics only.

I don't play mishimas but doing ewgfs with a 2+3 macro with a left shoulder button on my pad made it a lot easier.

Like from a 20% chance of hitting a proper ewgf to 70% immediately without additional practice

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

poe meater posted:

I don't play mishimas but doing ewgfs with a 2+3 macro with a left shoulder button on my pad made it a lot easier.

Like from a 20% chance of hitting a proper ewgf to 70% immediately without additional practice

Yeah, PhiXD in his tutorial shows you his pad button mapping and it's a giant help.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

If you play any Mishima in Special Style you can do perfect electrics by just pressing triangle - could be that

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

If you play any Mishima in Special Style you can do perfect electrics by just pressing triangle - could be that

That includes Kuma in heat mode right? I mean he IS the true heir to Heihachi he's as Mishima as they come.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The last time I played a lot of Tekken was Tekken 5, so I've been out of the loop for a while.

My only criticism of Tekken 8 is the inclusion of both Panda and Kuma. Feels like a waste of a character slot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's still incredibly funny that Heihachi's favorite child is without doubt Kuma.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm surprised Jun and Kuma have never had a special intro given that Jun entered the second tournament because she thought it was hosed up to teach boxing to kangaroos and dinosaurs

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Even with all the caveats around that data I'm surprised to see Leroy so low given how kick rear end his design in.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

I'm surprised Jun and Kuma have never had a special intro given that Jun entered the second tournament because she thought it was hosed up to teach boxing to kangaroos and dinosaurs

It's more accurate to say Jun has a special intro with Kuma - she just says "I'm not here to hurt you, but you need to settle down..." But Kuma just does his usual roaring with no dialogue in brackets underneath. Then again Kuma's intros are kinda buggy - he doesn't have an intro with Xiaoyu outside of his character episode, but whenever he beats Xiaoyu in any other mode he says "Yay! I'm getting married at last!" As if he beat Panda. Either the line isn't meant to play or he's supposed to use his character episode lines "If I win, let me marry Panda!" And "Now I can marry Panda!"

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So I'm trying to learn Lili (and the game in general), and aside from a combo or two, I want to learn good moves to use. Since Lili is in 7 there are ton of older resources out there in addition to new ones. With the way Tekken builds upon its previous releases, is some of this 7 stuff still relevant?

For example, I found a video that details 15 of Lili's moves as a "starter toolkit" to memorize and start implementing. This seems like a really good start but I have no idea how to tell if it's still relevant.

The video in question:
https://youtu.be/1NAx04ecqBY

The movelist it provided:
1. d/f+3
2. qcf+3+4
3. d+3
4. ff+4
5. df+1
6. 1,2
7. f+4
8. qcf+1,2
9. 3,1
10. df+3+4
11. BT1+2
12. f+3
13. 2,4
14. f+2,3
15. Matterhorn (d+3+4)

I would definitely appreciate some input whether this is still potentially a good starting point or not. I am on the Lili discord, and have some more spreadsheets (like the T8 Library cheatsheet doc), but they're a little intimidating and I'm still learning to properly decipher some of them.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I gotta say after maining Asuka since launch because tomboy, playing around with Jun feels like Asuka but with the volume turned up to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

So I'm trying to learn Lili (and the game in general), and aside from a combo or two, I want to learn good moves to use. Since Lili is in 7 there are ton of older resources out there in addition to new ones. With the way Tekken builds upon its previous releases, is some of this 7 stuff still relevant?

For example, I found a video that details 15 of Lili's moves as a "starter toolkit" to memorize and start implementing. This seems like a really good start but I have no idea how to tell if it's still relevant.

The video in question:
https://youtu.be/1NAx04ecqBY

The movelist it provided:
1. d/f+3
2. qcf+3+4
3. d+3
4. ff+4
5. df+1
6. 1,2
7. f+4
8. qcf+1,2
9. 3,1
10. df+3+4
11. BT1+2
12. f+3
13. 2,4
14. f+2,3
15. Matterhorn (d+3+4)

I would definitely appreciate some input whether this is still potentially a good starting point or not. I am on the Lili discord, and have some more spreadsheets (like the T8 Library cheatsheet doc), but they're a little intimidating and I'm still learning to properly decipher some of them.

Not experienced enough at her to really say since I'm only just starting to learn her as well, but can you link the docs? I've got a link to the cheatsheet one which is great, but more info is pretty much always better