Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Solutions for dishwasher-resistant ways of marking a plastic container? I use similar containers to some of my coworkers and want to make sure they don't accidentally steal them when everyone's stuff gets dishwashed. I have tried carving my initials into them but that's still not super obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Solutions for dishwasher-resistant ways of marking a plastic container? I use similar containers to some of my coworkers and want to make sure they don't accidentally steal them when everyone's stuff gets dishwashed. I have tried carving my initials into them but that's still not super obvious.

Whoozems are mostly dishwasher resistant stick-on labels you can write on with a sharpie and it stays better than right on the plastic. They're for baby stuff so you'll get stylish cartoon owls on the labels as a bonus.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm curious about how this situation even arises. Do you live in a place where in-home dishwashers are rare? I cannot envision any other circumstance where I would be washing my personal dishes in some communal work-based dishwasher where my shady coworkers can then steal them.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

sleepy gary posted:

You are allowed to buy whatever kind of lighting you want. You'll need a fixture with a ballast and the lamp itself. They are not being used much anymore and they cost a lot to buy but they are definitely available.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=low+pressure+sodium You're probably looking at around $100 with a ratty old fixture. If you're handy, you can make a new fixture for it with the guts from an old one.

I meant is there anything I (a moron) can buy and plug right into my normal outlet in my room to make it cool and single-wavelength orange. These all seem to just be the bulbs themselves. Would they screw into standard sockets in lamps and stuff?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DildenAnders posted:

I meant is there anything I (a moron) can buy and plug right into my normal outlet in my room to make it cool and single-wavelength orange. These all seem to just be the bulbs themselves. Would they screw into standard sockets in lamps and stuff?
There are no real consumer fixtures you can buy and use off the shelf since these were only made for outdoor lighting usually made for cities and stuff.

There's a mandatory electrical part called the ballast that the bulb needs to work. If you buy one separately you'll need to do some DIY electrical stuff to wire it up to the bulb and to your mains power.
Here's a dutch guy on youtube doing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj566A-KFHk
Then you'd need to build something to actually hold the lamp and all the wires etc too.

If you don't want to do DIY electronics and furnituremaking you could make like this guy on a lighting enthusiast forum and just buy one of the huge outdoor streetlight fixtures on ebay:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2117&pos=9&pid=62520

Make sure to get a bulb that matches the wattage of the fixture.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

I'm curious about how this situation even arises. Do you live in a place where in-home dishwashers are rare? I cannot envision any other circumstance where I would be washing my personal dishes in some communal work-based dishwasher where my shady coworkers can then steal them.

I have a dishwasher at home but why would I bring home a dirty container when it can get washed at work for 0 effort and come home clean? My coworkers aren't shady, it's just if there's a bunch of identical containers it's pretty easy to forget if you already took the one you brought the day before or whatever. It would also help me not accidentally steal theirs.

I should mention there is like one type of container available from our grocery monopoly that is particularly good as a lunchbox so it is very common to use the exact same container.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

How about just pooling the containers and not worrying who takes which one then? Maybe even get the employer to buy a small pile of them.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What's the best place to shove 23andMe data these days for extended info, is it still Promethease?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I want to say that depending on the kind of plastic a Sharpie (or more professional permanent marker) might be more dishwasher resistant.

Something like this (though I can't find people selling them in single digit counts)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N84B4G?ref=emc_s_m_5_i_n&th=1

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Sharpie makes a super-permanent marker that, although it will need reapplying, should last longer than a regular marker on plastic.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Remember me trying to delete my Uber account? Uber won.

The privacy regulator got back to me with a five page document I had to sign for. The gist of it is: the regulator deals with the acquisition, processing, and storage of data not website/app accounts. That if Uber has an right or obligation to retain any data after I have asked to leave the service, they can have it readily accessible in the form of a user account they do not close. And as for the fact that the data I've provided continues to be processable e.g. I can open the app and repeat my last trip and it looks up what that last trip was, it can be inferred I am giving permission for this to be done with my continued use of the app. For other things, it can be argued that I have not revoked my permission given that I have not deleted my account. I have tried to do so and asked that it be deleted, but again the regulator cannot pressure them to delete it. They understand that's a big loophole but they don't know what the outcome of continuing down the route would be.

They're willing to proceed, but, as some of my correspondence with Uber has been in English I would first have to pay to have a government translator translate these communications. (I asked by phone whether this would be a problem and was told it shouldn't be as long as the staff at the regulator can read English, which they should be able to.)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm looking to move out of my apartment by 5/1, in CA. I'm month to month.

When should I tell the landlord I'm leaving, 2 months or 3?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

skooma512 posted:

If you have a good relationship with them let them know ASAP. If you don't, let them know according to the laws of your jurisdiction. 1 month notice probably? So like, end of March.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mystes posted:

I would suggest mentioning it because they're pretty much guaranteed to notice it eventually and demand that you pay it and it will probably be more of a pain if they notice later.

It's not a situation like amazon refunding you for something they shouldn't have where they will never notice or care.

You may have late fees under your lease agreement and/or they could evict you if they wanted to, and you probably don't really want to get into a fight with them about whether it's really your fault if you just ignored the amount in the resident portal being incorrect.

(I would imagine that the terms of use of the resident portal also specifically say that it's your responsibility to confirm that the autopay amount is correct.)

I sent several emails to them and got no reply. Since the rent was due today, I went into the office. There's a new person working there. The previous lady who was super nice had been replaced. I explained the situation. She was borderline snotty about it which is odd because I was trying to give them more money. She took my check (definitely got a receipt) and she said she would look into it. By the end of the day, the current total was amended (instead of changing the total, they added an additional "rent" charge of $50. The payment was posted and now I'm good for the month.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

She was borderline snotty about it which is odd because I was trying to give them more money.
Ugh that's so infuriating

But probably for the best that it got fixed

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

She was borderline snotty about it which is odd because I was trying to give them more money.

Not that odd. It's not like you were giving HER more money. Instead you were giving her more WORK

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

skooma512 posted:

Check your lease. It should specify how much notice you need to give.

Trapick posted:

If you have a good relationship with them let them know ASAP. If you don't, let them know according to the laws of your jurisdiction. 1 month notice probably? So like, end of March.
Never give more notice than required. You don't want to risk them turning around and going "since you're on a monthly lease, why don't you actually get the gently caress out 30 days from now?" That "good relationship" may be entirely conditional on you continuing to give them money on an indefinite basis.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
When you search my name on Google the first result is information pertaining to a business that was dissolved years ago. It's nothing negative or something that hurts my reputation but I would like it removed.

There is no opt out / remove information option on the website and they clearly state that since it's public information, they will not remove it. I have also contacted the site owner to no avail. Google will not remove it from my search results since it technically does not include any personal information (phone number, address etc.). None of the companies that offer "opt out" services has this website on their list of places where your information can be removed.

I checked fiverr and there are people offering services to "remove results from Google searches" and they promise 100% guaranteed results within a month. One person I messaged said they can do it for $120.

Considering the price is pretty steep and the result is nothing negative, it's something I haven't jumped on but I'm curious - what do they do exactly and is something like this legitimate?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 2, 2024

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

When you search my name on Google the first result is information pertaining to a business that was dissolved years ago. It's nothing negative or something that hurts my reputation but I would like it removed.

There is no opt out / remove information option on the website and they clearly state that since it's public information, they will not remove it. Google will not remove it from my search results since it technically does not include any personal information (phone number, address etc.). None of the companies that offer "opt out" services has this website on their list of places where your information can be removed.

I checked fiverr and there are people offering services to "remove results from Google searches" and they promise 100% guaranteed results within a month. One person I messaged said they can do it for $120.

Considering the price is pretty steep and the result is nothing negative, it's something I haven't jumped on but I'm curious - what do they do exactly and is something like this legitimate?

You can make a request to remove results from Google based on privacy regulations, if you can show to Google the original owner of the website isn't willing to remove it. I have no idea how effective that is.

Whatever might be the case, if you're an EU citizen you have GDPR protections which basically means you can google a GDPR letter format asking formally for removal, and then if they don't do that you can start a case with your national GDPR branch. Those folks are overworked so they will ask that you've already tried everything in your own power. I'm thinking a lot of those "There were more results but they were removed because of privacy" you sometimes see at the end of Google search results, many of those were also GDPR requests.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tiggum posted:

Check your lease. It should specify how much notice you need to give.

Never give more notice than required. You don't want to risk them turning around and going "since you're on a monthly lease, why don't you actually get the gently caress out 30 days from now?" That "good relationship" may be entirely conditional on you continuing to give them money on an indefinite basis.

Yep, came to post this. We had one of the most chill landlords ever at our last place. She was lovely. We needed to move out a bit early, so we agreed to pay until they found a replacement and the finding fees to make it less painful for her.

We moved out and her husband took over and he decided we had to pay all of our deposit as well, to fix the carpets and curtains that were described on the exit survey as "As on arrival". He also claimed we had to pay for the flea exterminators they brought in 3 weeks after we left (And after they'd had a viewing by someone with a dog). Needless to say we are in a dispute with the deposit company, but... man. Don't give any landlord an inch, for any reason, ever.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Busy Bee posted:

When you search my name on Google ...

Just for fun I googled my name for the first time in years because I had something similar (Someone took my resume off of monster, and used it as an example of a good basic resume. Had it removed because it had all of my PID on it)

I did it today and was confused because there was a youtuber who's name is the same as mine, just with two letters swapped. I looked at his channel and wish I hadn't. A hipster white rapper hip-hop ambassador with a waxed moustache rapping about the blockchain. So...my day is ruined.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
I have a couple of American education history questions. I’m not sure if anyone here would know the answers, so I’m kind of more looking for how I could go about finding the answers.

1. When did the alphabet start to be taught with the song? (Some of my older patients say they didn’t learn it to the song—so it seems like a early-mid 20th century shift, but I haven’t figured out the cut-off age.)

2. How has the teaching of clock drawing changed? (I learned to draw the circle, then put in 12 & 6 and 9 & 3, and fill in the rest of the numbers. Did it used to be different?)

3. When/how did kids start to be taught how to draw more complicated shapes? (I recall learning how to draw a cube—two intersecting squares, and then you connect the vertices with four lines.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i went to grade school in the 80's and i don't remember being taught how to draw a clock in school at all. being taught how to read a clock yes, but what you are describing was not part of my education at any point. i learned how to draw clocks just from looking at them i guess, and for a lot of my elementary school eduation i sure spent a lot of time staring at the one on the wall, so i think any additional lessons would've been pointless

as for drawing more complex stuff, that's also something i learned less in school and more from like random free "here's how to draw this cartoon character" lessons on the back of cereal boxes and in childrens magazines and such. the type where you start with a few overlapping circles to make a body or face and then start adding features. or books of "connect the dots" where you can end up drawing something quite complex just by going from one point to another in the right order. coloring books also.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 2, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think I was ever taught to draw a clock.

I also don't know if I was ever specifically taught to read a clock in school, either, but, I know that I learned that at home rather than in school and it's very possible they taught us that in school later and I just don't remember because I already knew how and so I didn't pay attention to it.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 2, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i also vaguely remember being taught how to read a sundial and even how to make a crude one with a stick and rocks if you were out in the wilderness and wanted to know what time it was for some reason, but i think that was boy scouts not school

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Earwicker posted:

i also vaguely remember being taught how to read a sundial and even how to make a crude one with a stick and rocks if you were out in the wilderness and wanted to know what time it was for some reason, but i think that was boy scouts not school

How are you going to eat elevensies if you funny know when it is eleven?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Maybe the clock drawing thing is meant to be a geometry exercise? Like a practical application of what 30° means and how to measure that on a protractor? Otherwise that seems trivial unless you're preparing for a dementia test.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah we never had explicit lessons on drawing a clock, but plenty on reading them. Once you are familiar with a clock it's not that hard to figure out how to draw one :shrug:

and instruction for drawing shapes will vary a lot IME, some geometry teachers will focus more on how to draw shapes as well as the math while some will mostly just focus on the math. Some art teachers will do formulaic shapes and some will do things a little more freeform.

As for the alphabet song, the melody itself dates back to Mozart but I don't know when it turned into the alphabet song. Wikipedia says 1835 or possibly earlier, but when it became widespread is an interesting question.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Just for fun I googled my name for the first time in years because I had something similar (Someone took my resume off of monster, and used it as an example of a good basic resume. Had it removed because it had all of my PID on it)

I did it today and was confused because there was a youtuber who's name is the same as mine, just with two letters swapped. I looked at his channel and wish I hadn't. A hipster white rapper hip-hop ambassador with a waxed moustache rapping about the blockchain. So...my day is ruined.

My last name is SUPER uncommon, but there is a very famous YouTuber who I share a first name and 1 letter different last name.

I get asked all the time if I'm related to this dude.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Slimy Hog posted:

My last name is SUPER uncommon, but there is a very famous YouTuber who I share a first name and 1 letter different last name.

I get asked all the time if I'm related to this dude.

Hello Mr Meast

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Breast

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
How many famous YouTubers can anyone even name?

Mr Beast

That Swedish racist who used to scream all the time

That girl who did that Friday song which I don't care is a fuckin banger you guys are haters

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The guy who has at least 10 videos with the phrase "Final FNAF" in them

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
is the guy who makes skibidi toilet on youtube

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Peter Coffin

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

is the guy who makes skibidi toilet on youtube

Scatman John?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

How many famous YouTubers can anyone even name?
  • Colleen Ballinger
  • Felix Kjellberg
  • James Somerton
  • Jake Paul
  • Jeffree Star
  • Richard Kyanka
  • Jon Jafari
  • Shane Dawson
  • Adam Rapoport
  • Carl Benjamin
And so many more!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Stephen Colbert, Elmo, Hydraulic Press Channel, Limmy Twitch Clips Plus, and many more.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tiggum posted:

• Colleen Ballinger
  • Felix Kjellberg
  • James Somerton
  • Jake Paul
  • Jeffree Star
  • Richard Kyanka
  • Jon Jafari
  • Shane Dawson
  • Adam Rapoport
  • Carl Benjamin
And so many more!
Aside from lowtax are these all people who made bad youtube apology videos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
OK Go