Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

drat. I liked this show. It went places.

gently caress Obliterated was a great show and find. The fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shageletic posted:

they should have done a Monsters v. Aliens one instead

MvA already had a cartoon spin-off!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

feedmyleg posted:

I work in product on content discovery at a major streaming service, and let me tell you, it's even more frustrating from the inside.

There have been times where I’ve just closed the survey because ranking anything just felt like lying. It’s such a bizarro window into a world I completely do not understand.

“How would you rank the app on your ability to choose content based on trending popularity.”

I have no loving clue because that’s not how I make my watch decisions!

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 1, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Speaking of Disney, they're getting into the account-sharing crackdown game.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It has been successful for netflix so far and they increased their subscribers, so it's probably inevitable that all of the other services will do it too.

The question is will that work for all the other services, or are there some of them that people only think are worth subscribing to if they can share.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bummer, been using a buddy's account for almost ten years. Guess it's time to finally pony up and deal with the mild inconvenience of typing in the first two letters of a different address to an illegal streaming site instead.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

GreenNight posted:

drat. I liked this show. It went places.

I'm sadder about Obliterated being canceled than almost anything else in recent memory. Welp.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Between funding the new season of Strike and their upcoming Harry Potter adaptation it looks like HBO is going all in on Joanne

HBO No.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Between funding the new season of Strike and their upcoming Harry Potter adaptation it looks like HBO is going all in on Joanne

HBO No.

Zaslav needs franchises and Harry Potter stuff is a license to print money (generally, anyway, as I recall that last Fantastic Beasts movie underperformed pretty badly and killed that spin-off series). Can't exactly be shocked. (And, hell, WB has been begging JKR to let them do a movie adaptation of the Cursed Child play for years as a nostalgia legacy sequel.)

Timby fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 2, 2024

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The movie is so happening. Especially after they changed the play from a two parter to a one night show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

The movie is so happening. Especially after they changed the play from a two parter to a one night show.

Oh, of that I have no doubt, especially if they can convince one or both of Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint to return, presumably with a dump truck full of cash. (Based on that reunion special from a few years back, and a lot of public comments over the past decade, Emma Watson seems to want to have absolutely nothing to do with JKR or the Harry Potter franchise again because of all the hell she went through and I certainly cannot say I blame her.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Zaslav needs franchises and Harry Potter stuff is a license to print money (generally, anyway, as I recall that last Fantastic Beasts movie underperformed pretty badly and killed that spin-off series). Can't exactly be shocked.

Who's shocked? I get why it's happening, I just think it sucks to be giving the woman even more of a platform and that adapting those books is just kind of a dumb idea in a bunch of ways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aren't zoomers overdue for their own new pop media franchise?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

Oh, of that I have no doubt, especially if they can convince one or both of Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint to return, presumably with a dump truck full of cash. (Based on that reunion special from a few years back, and a lot of public comments over the past decade, Emma Watson seems to want to have absolutely nothing to do with JKR or the Harry Potter franchise again because of all the hell she went through and I certainly cannot say I blame her.)

Good. They can recast her as a black woman like she was always meant to be. :byodood:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Aren't zoomers overdue for their own new pop media franchise?

That's FNAF

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Expats so good at doing what it's doing.

Really keen to start this new Mrs and Mr Smith thang.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Really keen to start this new Mrs and Mr Smith thang.

First episode was good, unlike Citadel I want to see what happens to the main characters.

That cake bomb seemingly killed a lot of random staff but despite the door being open there were armed guys chasing J&J afterwards so there is something going on there.
Also, killing off Alexander Skarsgard before the opening credits is just showing off your Amazon megabucks, the whole cast is stacked as hell.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really liked the first Mr. & Mrs. Smith episode. Not quite as comedy-focused as I expected, although still often very funny, and a lot of genuine heart. Will be binging that one over the next day or two.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Donglover hasn't aged a day since community season 3, he's just beefy now.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Dr Chang's tween army side-plot, starting with an off the coffee deranged idea at a Bar Mitvah and ending somewhere around a Ken Burns mockumentary, is some of my favourite tv

I think(?) most thought it was the highlight of the show. But others really disliked it and thought that's where it went off the rails.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 2, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s kinda weird because Chang and the Dean both became insane parodies of themselves at more or less the exact same time and frequency, but Chang became super annoying and grating and the Dean somehow didn’t.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll take every tenuous excuse I can find to post this every time Community and the Dean come up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ2TC8duaoE

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s kinda weird because Chang and the Dean both became insane parodies of themselves at more or less the exact same time and frequency, but Chang became super annoying and grating and the Dean somehow didn’t.

Jim Rash is just a better actor, so even within the parody version of the Dean he can find dimensions to play and keep the performance varied. Chang just ended up being really one note.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Better Things is so good. I'm working my way backwards and apparently the seasons got better as time went on so I might be getting the highlights, and the fact that I wasn't expecting to like it at all might be a factor, but it's bowled me over.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arist posted:

MvA already had a cartoon spin-off!

My God

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Better Things is so good. I'm working my way backwards and apparently the seasons got better as time went on so I might be getting the highlights, and the fact that I wasn't expecting to like it at all might be a factor, but it's bowled me over.

Yeah it's really good.

I've only seen the first and last seasons, I should finish it some time.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah it's really good.

I've only seen the first and last seasons, I should finish it some time.

I haven't yet seen a full episode of the first or second season but loved the fifth and the chunk of the fourth I've gone through.

I've heard that the difference is that the two older daughters chill the gently caress out as they mature a few years and this lets Pamela Adlon turn it up a notch without veering into laugh-track territory.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are you going through it in reverse order?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

Why are you going through it in reverse order?

Because I got convinced to give it a chance, the clips I was shown that I liked the most where from SE05, and the reviews say that's the best one followed by SE04 followed by SE03.

Maybe after finishing 4 I'll start at the first but maybe not. To each their own, man

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

mr and mrs smith...

no capers is a deal breaker

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Qmass posted:

mr and mrs smith...

no capers is a deal breaker

Kiss like dogs meeting for the first time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timby posted:

There's zero chance Dan Radcliffe does anything Harry Potter related if Rowling is in charge. When she went full mask off he released a fairly strongly worded letter about how he completely disagrees with her and that he is pro LGTBQ.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Timby posted:

I cannot imagine Radcliffe wanting to return to Potter. His public statements on Rowling have been as clear as he can be about her without potentially harming his career, and every acting choice he’s made since Potter has been as far from any franchise as possible, and arguably as far from mainstream as possible.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There's way more chance of Watson coming back than Radcliffe, as she's basically said that Rowling is entitled to her opinions and pilling on her is wrong.

However I doubt any of the core three give a poo poo about coming back.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watson also feels like the one of the three whose career has stalled the most, especially in recent years, at least taking into account that by the end of the Potter movies she was framed as the breakout of the three and the one poised to be the real ‘serious’ actor.

Obviously Grint has had the weakest career of the three but he also didn’t have the sort of expectations or ambitions of the other two, and even then he’s joined the Shyamalan stable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iirc it’s because Watson has deliberately chosen not to pursue acting in favour of charitable endeavours etc

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I do think that anyone who was involved in the Fantastic Beast films has Rowling's TERF stink all over them, doubly so for Eddie Redmayne.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Is there any ginger male actor that has had success taking up lead roles? I mean consistantly not just as a one-off and not just playing an outcast/weirdo.

Eric Stoltz, Michael Fassbender and Michael C Hall (if we are counting TV) I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Damian Lewis?