Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

That I dont know.

By the end of the CK2 dev, information was made much more available and clearer than before. And though CK3 is still better in general, CK2 had the ledger with all kinds of detailed info about everything, including things that we dont have so easy on CK3

But in any case, I dont think thats the main reason CK3 is easier. In my experience it boils down too:

- AI was much more aggressive in CK2. In CK3 often I have huge neightbours supposedly hostile that wont try to attack me for some reason and just wait for me to be stronger than they and attack them instead

- AI was better at holding its realm stable in CK2

- AI is much worst at fighting wars (mainly because its bad at MaA)

- eugenics much easier and more effective on CK3

- in Ck3, some lifestyle perks and dynasty perks are very OP and the AI is bad at picking them

I hate the levy/maa/knight system. The useless peasant levy horde is a myth that irks me and more importantly, the AI sucks so hard at it that you might as well just spawn the player with a panzer division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate the levy/maa/knight system. The useless peasant levy horde is a myth that irks me and more importantly, the AI sucks so hard at it that you might as well just spawn the player with a panzer division.

Yeah, its my least favorite change.

I wish they would scrap the whole new army system and restart or even bring back what it was on CK2

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 31, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Knights being catastrophically powerful is kinda neat, from a fantasy roleplaying point of view.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think the main problem is that both knights and MaA are systems that are very easy for the player to exploit to the max, while at the same time the AI is very incompetent at

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

THE BAR posted:

Knights being catastrophically powerful is kinda neat, from a fantasy roleplaying point of view.

Yeah it’s actually pretty thematic for the various fantasy mods

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah it’s actually pretty thematic for the various fantasy mods

I assume the Three Kingdoms mods are having a field day with it, too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just... break it down until it's something that the computer players can handle. But that's not gonna happen, since we still have stuff like the Death screen eulogy being a coding embarrassment.

Cynically, shoving a bunch of new events and wardrobes in a DLC in will bring in more sales than fixing the base game, and we all which style PDX prefers.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
stellaris has had the most work done to the fundamental mechanics of the game of any game i've ever seen, including changing how the spaceships move like 6 times and changing how the planets work like 8 times. pdx is actually quite courageous at loving with core mechanics, even if they don't succeed that much

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Stellaris is a shitshow and I'd not raise up anything done over there as a positive model. I could go on, but it'd be a very negative rant that doesn't belong in the ck3 thread.

For all the grumbling from experienced players, Ck3 is still... pleasant to play. You can sit down, have some cake, eat the opponent's too, and post funny screenshots of your lecherous family. The DLC will continue to roll in, and I might roll my eyes at some of it, but the game's still fun and engaging enough.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bob dobbs is dead posted:

stellaris has had the most work done to the fundamental mechanics of the game of any game i've ever seen, including changing how the spaceships move like 6 times and changing how the planets work like 8 times. pdx is actually quite courageous at loving with core mechanics, even if they don't succeed that much

I hope they have the courage to eventually do that with the army system in CK3 because it really didint worked, the whole thing is bad and a step down from CK2. Their last attempt to fix it failed while introducing another thing to micromanage. MaA are less OP now but still the player is in big advantage because the AI is bad at stationing MaA too

Also giving us a proper interface to raise armies would be nice too. I get that they tried to streamline and keep it simple, but only having "raise all" and "raise MaA" options is dumb and bad because most of the times you dont want that. So you have to raise all and than split the army to the size you want and disband the rest or something like that

And we dont even have an interface to choose where to spawn mercenaries and special troops, the only way I know to be sure where they will appear is only having 1 rally point. Its all very clumsy

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 31, 2024

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

Just... break it down until it's something that the computer players can handle.

Yeah, this is something that I wish got more thought in grand strategy games. All the complex mechanics in the world mean nothing if the computer can't handle them. You're just playing a different game from the AI at some point. The computer has gotten better about using men at arms and keeping the realm stable since launch, but still nowhere near the player level. I wish there was a difficulty setting that just let them cheat like in the old civ games with doomstacks, that at least would let them be competitive.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

THE BAR posted:

I assume the Three Kingdoms mods are having a field day with it, too.

was playing as jorah mormont during roberts rebellion and killed three thousand dudes. didn't even bring an army, just rolled with ned.

we lost.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

So my kush into ancient Egypt run died in a dumb way. Managed to retake Egypt, reform everything and adopt feudalism before realising my messing with the mechanics of male/female preference combined with intentionally not paying attention to succession and the dumb ai left me with a generation and a half of all female heirs all patriarcially married with kids.

gently caress that mess.

But yes, game is easy started again as the duke of Transylvania. Protected enough land in the incoming scripted conquest. Leige surrendered quick, I keep land. Insta redo contract to make it not revokable for meaningless levy contribution. Eat back my own dutchy, build it up and over a couple of generations get stronk and take kingdom with claim throne focus.

It shouldn't be that simple in that specific situation.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The AI in CK3 is exceptionally bad at handling female focused inheritance. It cannot understand that it needs to marry matrilineally, or it sees an "important" husband is available if they just marry patrilineally and that takes precedence over everything. It's extremely frustrating because they did manage to fix it for CK2.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Eimi posted:

The AI in CK3 is exceptionally bad at handling female focused inheritance. It cannot understand that it needs to marry matrilineally, or it sees an "important" husband is available if they just marry patrilineally and that takes precedence over everything. It's extremely frustrating because they did manage to fix it for CK2.

Yeah when it was the default option on my first female ruler (ck2 you always had to select it iirc) I was like "oh hey it obviously works correctly".

Lol

Lmao

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Eimi posted:

I don't think the AI should care about marrying matrilineally, that's a gameplay contrivance for the player, AI rulers should just care about passing on their lands to their children regardless of last name. It's not like the AI needs to worry about getting a game over.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Grillfiend posted:

I don't think the AI should care about marrying matrilineally, that's a gameplay contrivance for the player, AI rulers should just care about passing on their lands to their children regardless of last name. It's not like the AI needs to worry about getting a game over.

So AI rulers in patrilineal realms shouldn't have a malus to agreeing to marry off their male heir matrilineally?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Grillfiend posted:

The AI should not care about winning wars either, than, following the same logic.

Why it would care about anything at all? Its just a computer program

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fundamentally, as mentioned in some previous post, the AI needs to play the same game as the player. It might not have the same “motivations” for some grand-strategy stuff like setting up an entire culture or religion to be gender-oriented in any particular way, but when they player does it for the benefits it brings, the AI should actually play along with those new cultural norms and reap those same benefits. Otherwise, it loses half the point of doing it all for the player as well. All that grinding, and any character you don't control — including important ones like immediate family, powerful allies, or even important vassals — will actively play stupid and ruin things for you.

And that pretty much extends to anything the player can do to improve their situation — the AI needs to have some impulse to do the same, or it will just get stomped and make the game less interesting for the player.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I haven't had much trouble with matrilineal marriages, but it does have the occasional hiccup where you wouldn't in a male-dominant society. The AI seems to matrilineally marry its first few heirs in succession if the law is female-dominated, but then doesn't really care once you get to the fourth or fifth in line.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 2, 2024

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i’m pretty excited for the chapter 3 announcement tbqh

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:same:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
well, there is a skull in the background and they mention "strategy passed on" and "the enemy that waits always in shadow"

so, plagues? succession mechanics? possibly both. I'm not sure what the book could mean

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Undead

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

(Obviously)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wrath Elope Plot of the Lich King.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wonder how a whacky CK3 expansion would work out. Just put all the silly nonsense into one DLC. Vampires, undead, monty bleeding python style spanish inquisition, etc.

I bet they've come across stuff in their research that was too silly to put into the game. Put it in.

The Arma3 devs made a really good first contact DLC with literal aliens in it. Just sayin'

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Antigravitas posted:

I wonder how a whacky CK3 expansion would work out. Just put all the silly nonsense into one DLC. Vampires, undead, monty bleeding python style spanish inquisition, etc.

I bet they've come across stuff in their research that was too silly to put into the game. Put it in.

The Arma3 devs made a really good first contact DLC with literal aliens in it. Just sayin'

We had the Aztec invasion on CK2 and it was awesome

Enabled on every game for me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i feel like it annoying the grognards hard was very beneficial to paradox's bottom line, what with free trolling-advertisement

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

They'll be livestreaming the announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClkhKHePN4U

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Antigravitas posted:

A Red dead redemption Undead Nightmare but for CK3 would be great

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
HERE WE GO

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
- plagues
- some legend mechanic that seems interesting
- legitimacy mechanic (seems kinda like in Old World)

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
ok to legends of the dead will involve both plagues and legends spreading, while introducing a new legitimacy mechanism. that's out march 4th

then the major expansion will be roads to power, which will apparently involve letting the player play unlanded nobles amongst other things. no release date announced

then a clothing pack available and an event pack that will be out later in the year

i remember how much they undersold tours and tournaments at the announcement so i'm def gonna be keeping an eye on dev diaries

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Holy poo poo you can just BE the adventurer

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

ELTON JOHN posted:

then the major expansion will be roads to power, which will apparently involve letting the player play unlanded nobles amongst other things. no release date announced

I'm really curious if they'll manage to make it work since they'd need to add a zillion events.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
also fix a zillion events to not assume you're a landed ruler

impressed they are taking it on but yikes

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

If i can start as a bottom of the barrel lowborn peasant and lie cheat steal and kill my way to becoming emperor of france this will be the best game ever made

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

"keep playing your beloved character after being unfortunately deposed from your lands!"

I've waited all my life for this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That all looks great. I guess I hope that the landless stuff is a base game update and that expansion just has lots of content for it. I think the idea is cool but it seems like something that’d get old without additional content/systems crossover stuff as time goes by.