Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Give him an evil goatie....oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He got gunned down by Sharon Carter.

Rest in power, king.

That was Henry Batroc the Leaper.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

It's his twin brother, but it's okay if you just call him Batroc.

It would be like Batroc never even died!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World for the first time in like 10 years and I will never understand people who think Knives and Scott should have ended up together at the end, during the first ten minutes half the cast calls Scott out for being scum because he's dating a minor. A lot ink has been spilled criticizing the movie over Ramona being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl but at least she's an adult.

edit:
Also the movie is loving well cast. Arguably Michael Cera is the weakest choice, his mumble detached delivery comes off as a slightly less depressed George Bluth rather than the well meaning (but selfish) himbo that Scott is, which isn't to say he's bad in the movie just that he wouldn't be who I would cast.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 2, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You should watch the Netflix animated adaptation, Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, now. Everyone works amazingly well as the voice cost, and even Cera is better for it. Without spoiling, it changes up some stuff and it’s very good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cera as a VA for Scott is wildly better than Cera as a real actor for Scott, saying that as someone who loves his casting in the first place

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be honest, the reason people come away from the movie thinking Scott and Knives would work at all is because the movie frames Knives really weirdly, the scene of their teamwork vs. Gideon being the most obvious example.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Cera is a good Scott but yeah, he's better in the Netflix series.

That whole cast is just bonkers though

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Arist posted:

To be honest, the reason people come away from the movie thinking Scott and Knives would work at all is because the movie frames Knives really weirdly, the scene of their teamwork vs. Gideon being the most obvious example.

The movie really needed this scene to spell everything thing out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

side_burned posted:

The movie really needed this scene to spell everything thing out.

The plot of the film suffers a bit by taking place over the course of a week rather than a year and change of the books
And also by being two hours instead of six books

And that's fine!
It tells a pretty drat good story considering what it's tasked to adapt

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I watched Scott Pilgrim in cinemas when it came out and it was one of my favourite films for a while. I was in my last year of highschool and I had read the books, so it was right up my alley. Back then actually good comicbook films were far and in-between so I had low expectations, even though I liked Edgar Wright. Sitting there in the cinema watching the opening scenes with my mouth agape like Knives looking at Sex Bob-Omb in the first scene of the film, it absolutely blew my mind.

After almost a dozen watches I can say it's definitely a good film, though great Cera is definitely the weakpoint of the cast but he's far from bad. The first act is near perfect but the second act kinda drags and fumbles the Envy storyline a bit, it's only saved by Mae and vegan jokes. The third act fails to act as a completely satisfying conclusion but it's not bad. I think the film also suffers from the Seinfeld Effect where many of the things that were novel and good that it did were quickly copied in other films and gotten old. Gags like "villain talks about mundane things" is extremely trite these days.

The anime was also decent and if nothing else, the first couple episodes made me have the same reaction I did to the film in highschool. If something can evoke teenage-level emotions in a man in their 30s and not via nostalgia it must be doing something right.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I remember being incredibly disappointed with Scott Pilgrim after being a big fan of Shaun and Hot Fuzz. I just felt the entire thing was an exercise in style over substance. Little did I know it accurately foreshadowed the rest of Wright's output.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Arist posted:

That is, of course, because the original end pair for the film was Scott and Knives. And they did some reshoots when the last book came out/test audiences hated the original ending, but it still hangs together oddly and you can see the seams.

Which was a big part of the reason I was so stoked for Takes Off. finally a chance to do a Scott Pilgrim adaptation that has Ramona properly centered in the story...

And then it did that just not in the way I expected...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the ages are still a problem.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The movie's big problem is that it front loads a lot of good stuff. Chris Evans and Brandon Routh are so so good and happen one right after the other, so following that with stuff like the Japanese Twins who don't have any lines is anticlimactic

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As much as I like Scott Pilgrim in the comic, movie, game, and now series, the one thing that always puts me off is the "subspace highway". It feels like too much of a deep cut reference, that remains unexplained for how integral it is to the story, and also comes up too early before the audience is really primed for the other weirdness.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

As much as I like Scott Pilgrim in the comic, movie, game, and now series, the one thing that always puts me off is the "subspace highway". It feels like too much of a deep cut reference, that remains unexplained for how integral it is to the story, and also comes up too early before the audience is really primed for the other weirdness.

I feel that being just an accepted and unexplained part of the setting set's the stage for all the weirdness to come. If you can accept that, then coin deaths, hipster demon chicks, and vegan powers aren't a problem at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah especially how in the movie Ramona treats it like everyone uses it. It's there just go with it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

side_burned posted:

I watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World for the first time in like 10 years and I will never understand people who think Knives and Scott should have ended up together at the end, during the first ten minutes half the cast calls Scott out for being scum because he's dating a minor. A lot ink has been spilled criticizing the movie over Ramona being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl but at least she's an adult.

edit:
Also the movie is loving well cast. Arguably Michael Cera is the weakest choice, his mumble detached delivery comes off as a slightly less depressed George Bluth rather than the well meaning (but selfish) himbo that Scott is, which isn't to say he's bad in the movie just that he wouldn't be who I would cast.

As others have said, the Netflix anime is a super good followup/Companion piece because it gives a lot more room for the secondary cast to have their own stories. And yea Cera is way better in the roll as a voice than an live action actor.

The final act definitely feels rushed, mostly because the final volume wasn't out at the time and so they had to wing it. Also, not afraid to be as Toronto as fuuuuuuck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

As others have said, the Netflix anime is a super good followup/Companion piece because it gives a lot more room for the secondary cast to have their own stories. And yea Cera is way better in the roll as a voice than an live action actor.

The final act definitely feels rushed, mostly because the final volume wasn't out at the time and so they had to wing it. Also, not afraid to be as Toronto as fuuuuuuck.

They weren't winging it. BLOM was heavily involved in the script development and gave them notes on how volume 6 was going to go, though he does say the movie ending is their ending, not his, and the writers' strike meant the shooting draft wasn't supposed to be the final draft.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

twistedmentat posted:

That begs the question why the screen writer thought Knives and Scott where a good idea. That being said screenwriters seem to have contempt for age of consent laws.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

glitchwraith posted:

I feel that being just an accepted and unexplained part of the setting set's the stage for all the weirdness to come. If you can accept that, then coin deaths, hipster demon chicks, and vegan powers aren't a problem at all.

But everything else is more obvious as a reference or is more... intuitive? And fun, for the most part.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

But everything else is more obvious as a reference or is more... intuitive? And fun, for the most part.

I think what you’re getting at is that it feels more like a narrative contrivance to get the plot to work instead of a fun detail.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

side_burned posted:

That begs the question why the screen writer thought Knives and Scott where a good idea. That being said screenwriters seem to have contempt for age of consent laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUq0HlMvQw0

Whatever do you mean

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

You know that scene was one of the things I was thinking of when I typed that.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I have so many questions

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have so many questions

Well I feel like they laid out the law pretty clearly :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have so many questions

Are you saying you don't keep a laminated piece of paper in your wallet that explains age of consent laws, and then use it to incorrectly justify dating underage girls?

Weird. You're really weird.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
As always, any questions in regards to Transformers: Age of Extinction can be answered simply and thusly: Transformers: Age of Extinction hates itself almost as much as it hates you for watching it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

As always, any questions in regards to Transformers: Age of Extinction can be answered simply and thusly: Transformers: Age of Extinction hates itself almost as much as it hates you for watching it.

Like all the Bayformers! except for Bumblebee

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Transformers: Age of Consent Laws

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Jamesman posted:

Are you saying you don't keep a laminated piece of paper in your wallet that explains age of consent laws, and then use it to incorrectly justify dating underage girls?

Weird. You're really weird.

You can get the same point across with a laminated definition of the term Ephebophilia. Tells you just as much about the person and applicable across all states.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Easier than carrying around a copy of Atlas Shrugged I guess

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That film is one of the 21st century’s finest satirical comedies, up there with In The Loop, and a hilarious example of the American mindset.

:colbert:

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Another cast member on Thunderbolts has been replaced after the production delay due to the strikes interfered with their schedule for other contracted work.

Ayo Edebiri was cast as a mystery role that was never revealed. Geraldine Viswanathan is now taking over the same mystery role that isn't being revealed.

Now she's freed up to play Storm.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Peter Safran seemingly confirming the rumors that Aquaman is done, but Mamoa is in talks to play a different DC character (rumored to be Lobo).

Also, there is apparently a minecraft movie and Mamoa is starring in it?

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1737999078284546478

Several pages late here, but mine craft has been a thing for quite a while. I was excited initially, bc Rob from sunny and Wrexham was making it but he walked.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

iceyman posted:

Now she's freed up to play Storm.

What if the mystery character is storm? Thunderbolts and trying to integrate mutants?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

side_burned posted:

I mean, Edgar Wright does keep accidently filling his cast with sex pest.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In the movie Knives' age is not given, and they reduced Scott's age to 22 (since Cera was younger still, at 21). A 22 year old (played by a 21 year old) dating a possible 18 year old isn't really that much of a big deal, whereas in the books IIRC Scott hit 24 while Knives was still 17. Knives' age was only revealed in volume 6. The movie was being written around the time of volume 4, with some notes from the author.

At the time they were initially writing the movie, the plan for the book was that Scott ends up with *no one*. So making a happy ending where Scott ends up with Knives would not have seemed as much of a deviation. In the books Scott dated Ramona for longer than Knives, whereas in the movie the reverse is true, due to the compression to the timeline.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I feel like Cera played the role the way he did as a subverted expectations thing, like you come into it expecting a typical awkward loser Cera, then he punches Matthew Patel and there are a bunch of surprised reaction shots from the cast.