Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I didn’t play Humankind more than maybe 5 or 6 hours after the initial launch. It doesn’t seem like the patches have been massive necessarily but I should probably give it another shot just to see if a bunch of little things could tie it all together for me a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Anno posted:

I didn’t play Humankind more than maybe 5 or 6 hours after the initial launch. It doesn’t seem like the patches have been massive necessarily but I should probably give it another shot just to see if a bunch of little things could tie it all together for me a bit.

Played it a few times with friends and the cheese tactics in the game on release were loving terrible. Also didn't like the changing civs gimmick at all.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Millenia will be free to play for a few days at the start of February.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/...e=reddit-precis

Also Paradox is streaming it as I type, I'm sure you can find the video shortly.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 29, 2024

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Interesting! Is it a civ-like game?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Interesting! Is it a civ-like game?

We will find out :) I think it's pretty funny that after the disastrous release of City Skylines II (it's buggy as poo poo) they decide to go with a free play of Millenia, to show players that the game does in fact play as expected.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Oh it’s a Steam Next Fest demo, that makes sense. I thought you meant the game was going to be F2P lol.

And yeah it’s a Civ-style history spanning game, though with some alt-history stuff too which could be cool. The developer diaries have been interesting but hard to decide how much I’d like it so a demo is perfect.

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 29, 2024

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anno posted:

Oh it’s a Steam Next Fest demo, that makes sense. I thought you meant the game was going to be F2P lol.

And yeah it’s a Civ-style history spanning game, though with some alt-history stuff too which could be cool. The developer diaries have been interesting but hard to decide how much I’d like it so a demo is perfect.

Edited to clarify. Good catch!

Anno
May 10, 2017

Spellforce: Conquest of Eo, which I think went under the radar last year as AoW4 was about the launch but I thought was a pretty solid fantasy 4x AoW/MoM-type thing also got an expansion announced that seems to add a good deal of content. Releasing Feb 13th.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2681600/SpellForce_Conquest_of_Eo__Demon_Scourge

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Didn’t master of magic get a straight remake pretty recently? I remember the main complaints bc the game was too slow paced and needed fast animations

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah it has its second expansion launching like next week. People seemed pretty happy with the post-launch support when I last looked into it.

Also the next AoW4 expansion launches on the 23rd. So in two weeks all three of these games will have released DLC, which seems…unfortunately timed, maybe, if you’re a fantasy 4x fan.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Conquest of Eo gets mad props for me because the world needs more asymmetrical 4x games where you're not competing board-game style against a bunch of other empires playing by the same rules as you.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tips for running civ 4 on windows 11?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Is there a thread for wargames?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Loddfafnir posted:

I take it you mean military games? Because 4x games are war games in the sense that one of the X's in 4X is exterminate.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Loddfafnir posted:

You're probably looking for this one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mayveena posted:

I take it you mean military games? Because 4x games are war games in the sense that one of the X's in 4X is exterminate.

Wargame is a specific genre, ranging from Panzer Corps to Gary Grigsby's War in the East/West/Pacific

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wargame is a specific genre, ranging from Panzer Corps to Gary Grigsby's War in the East/West/Pacific

I know about wargames :) However I guess I should have said historical war games vs the 4X stuff that we tend to discuss. There's a lively war game discussion that I know of but it's for board games. 4X games ARE wargames in the sense that they are about conflict.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mayveena posted:

There's a lively war game discussion that I know of but it's for board games.

Ooooh where?

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Dallan Invictus posted:

You're probably looking for this one.

Thanks!

Mayveena posted:

I know about wargames :) However I guess I should have said historical war games vs the 4X stuff that we tend to discuss. There's a lively war game discussion that I know of but it's for board games. 4X games ARE wargames in the sense that they are about conflict.

I'd say that 4X and wargames are adjacent but still different. And the conflict definition is probably a bit large as it covers most of the games.

Microplastics posted:

Ooooh where?

That was the one I was finding when looking for a videogamey one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Microplastics posted:

Ooooh where?

You can discuss specific war games at boardgamegeek.com. I’d look for war game guilds there as well.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lawman 0 posted:

It just works for me on Win 11.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lawman 0 posted:

I launch it through Steam and it runs fine for me.

I bet the GoG version works fine too, assuming there is one.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

Could you narrow down what problems you have? I don't think the operating system is the problem. My dad's computer is like a slideshow when it runs Civ IV but mine does it just fine. We both have Windows 11. It could be a problem with a specific brand of GPUs or CPUs.

to those others: gently caress you!!! and also post a solution if you find one. My dad would also like to play Civ IV again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh just resolution and problems getting everything to run at once.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Lawman 0 posted:

Oh just resolution and problems getting everything to run at once.

Join us :henget:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I would but I need to make sure everything works correctly first and that everything loads up at once!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Try installing DirectX 9c directly from Microsoft, then enabling DirectPlay in legacy components under windows features in the control panel.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
This is the sort of problem the PC Gaming Wiki exists to solve.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Millenia demo is up https://store.steampowered.com/app/1268590/Millennia/

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Played it a bit today, very engaging civ-like. I enjoyed it, especially the time I made a deal with a portal to Hell to spawn Oni in everyone else's capital except mine.

A couple of rough edges (no auto-explore, and it's not ovbious where everything is at first glance of the UI), but definitely considering buying the full game when it comes out

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why can’t I remote-install a demo? Dammit.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Played it a bit today, very engaging civ-like. I enjoyed it, especially the time I made a deal with a portal to Hell to spawn Oni in everyone else's capital except mine.

A couple of rough edges (no auto-explore, and it's not ovbious where everything is at first glance of the UI), but definitely considering buying the full game when it comes out

Man I have been playing way too much Dominions to know if you're joking about the Oni thing or not.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

orangelex44 posted:

Man I have been playing way too much Dominions to know if you're joking about the Oni thing or not.

I'n not! One fun thing I like is if you do enough exploring, you can do a Heroic Age instead of the Iron Age, which gives you some different techs to research, but also a hero unit and some quest markers!

Most seem to be "move the hero to the quest and click to get some bonuses", usually different types of XP (there's like 5 different mana points), but occasionally there's some writing and some more choices like "you want 2 oni working for you, or 2 oni at everyone else's capital?" (Both if you research the right tech before then!)

I imagine the quests will get more writing before release, it might be fun if they do quest chains (you can currently get production chains going, so you mine clay, then build a different building to turn the clay into pottery for greater bonuses)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Glad to see that Millennia's decent and that people are enjoying it.

Tried it out, and it seems fun, but boy am I going to need to read a guide when it comes out to figure out how to create a coherent strategy, even if I understand each individual piece of the game.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The biggest complaints i have in Millenia so far are presentation. The minor cities need to look more like minor cities (evidence of farming or something); literally everyone mistakes them for barbarian camps. 'Minor' 1v1 combats like barbarian vs scout dont really need the battle interface and should be communicated more clearly on the worldmap (for example, animations + a specific icon showing that your unit retreated from a hex when you get attacked offturn, ui distinguishing between minor and major combats). Unit movements feel kind of off in ways i cant articulate.

Other jank is extremely welcome, like the entire palisade wall simply exploding into splinters when you break down the gate

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the demo is so far underwhelming, unless they really lean into the fantasy ages, I don't see this killing civ6

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the demo is so far underwhelming, unless they really lean into the fantasy ages, I don't see this killing civ6

I doubt they have that expectation, Civ is a very long running series. I think they want to present an alternative to Civ for those who may have burned out on it or who are looking for another alternative.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It feels like a very advanced Civ 4 mod and I dig it. I had a lot of fun today with a quick play through and a half and was sad when I hit the turn limit.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

It kimda bugs me that theres no graphical variants for buildings and units based on civ but i guess thats something modders can get on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's atmosphere actually reminded me a bit of Thea's. Lots of little nags, but I definitely see the potential here. Hope they don't go ham on the price. 40€ would be a definite 50% sale for me.