Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Javid posted:

Biggest benchy your print bed can fit. Post pics.
A little delayed, but:

Not sure why it looks like it was taken with a potato. e:fixed-ish

Using 400g of my finest $8/kg PLA.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

sir you cant park your bigchy here

youll have to leave that with the valet

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
OH ! is that what we are doing ?

Also submitted is my 380% flexi-rex.

The benchy printed mostly fine but the speed i was running at and neglected to make bridges -really- slow so the arches of the doorway had some stringing

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
hell yeah, huge silly toys

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Javid posted:

hell yeah, huge silly toys

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Are we doing small things to giant things?

Wanna hear something completely ridiculous. Over the past 4 months or so my brother and I have made like 15k selling these oversized wire nuts to electricians lol

We have 4 different style wire nuts that we sell and man, electricians are weird people.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Lol what? I guess if you have a thing, drat well exploit the thing.

I stopped doing the slugs with a stripe on top because so many people went nuts trying to keep it all aligned , but they are popular. Unfortunately my area doesn't support what I need to sell them for to make it worth cost+time to print so they are more of a one off novelty

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait, you all are actually selling those knickknacks to people?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Warbird posted:

Wait, you all are actually selling those knickknacks to people?

By last count the total number of various wire nuts we have sold is around 3-400 of them lol

We’d have people order 3 and 4 at a time at anywhere from $65 to $200 for our larger pieces lol

We mainly advertised on a few electrician specific Facebook pages to start but got so many responses we actually put up our own website.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Quote is not edit damnit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's hard for me to see the appeal of spending so much money on 3D-printed tat but I just saw Felicia Day post a video acting extremely excited about buying one of those flexi axolotl things at a con so I guess I gotta just accept it

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It turns out a LOT of people will purchase little fun plastic crap if the opportunity is presented to them. poo poo, I should see if a giant lego shark will fetch $20 around here

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's hard for me to see the appeal of spending so much money on 3D-printed tat but I just saw Felicia Day post a video acting extremely excited about buying one of those flexi axolotl things at a con so I guess I gotta just accept it

People love dumb garbage

That said I think we're in the late fidget spinner stage of flexible dragons. Very much a get rich quick scheme where I see 6 people selling them at every event

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Mostly, anybody who does not themself print has no idea that the 18 inch tall color change pikachu they just paid $65 for was $4 of filament and a button push for the flea market vendor hocking it.

This is essentially the same margin as any manufacturing process, except more consumer accessible, so we're aware of it.

I charge 5 bucks a pop for these things, which are like an inch wide

$0.07 of filament in the slicer, so I had to get over a bit of a psychological hump at the thought of charging that much. But the guys that want 10 skull tokens will pay 50 bucks a ziploc so I'm not arguing

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I don’t even know what to think of that. Good for you to be absolutely clear, but I’m not sure I can wrap my head around that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The above mentioned wire nut sells for $65 and costs roughly $2 in filament(thanks iiidmax sales!) and about 6 hours in print time.

This 3M model wire nutt is our best seller. Right up until christmas we were selling 3-5 of these a day, for $85. I got the print time down to about 4 hours and $2 in filament.

We kinda flooded the market the past couple months and sales are a bit slower now, but we still get a few hundred dollars in sales a week.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Javid posted:

It turns out a LOT of people will purchase little fun plastic crap if the opportunity is presented to them.

China built an entire economy around this in the 1990s.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

cruft posted:

China built an entire economy around this in the 1990s.

Ender 3s are the ideal productive forces of Deng Xiaoping Theory

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

mattfl posted:

The above mentioned wire nut sells for $65 and costs roughly $2 in filament(thanks iiidmax sales!) and about 6 hours in print time.

This 3M model wire nutt is our best seller. Right up until christmas we were selling 3-5 of these a day, for $85. I got the print time down to about 4 hours and $2 in filament.

We kinda flooded the market the past couple months and sales are a bit slower now, but we still get a few hundred dollars in sales a week.

What you gotta do now is make a v2 with a screw on cap at the bottom so it can be used for wire nut storage. They'll sell themselves to the exact same people that bought them in the first place.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

deimos posted:

What you gotta do now is make a v2 with a screw on cap at the bottom so it can be used for wire nut storage. They'll sell themselves to the exact same people that bought them in the first place.

Someone already corned that market before we could do that lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Huh. I printed one of those as a xmas gift and it was a hit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I got a lot of interesting stories and pictures out of printing a bunch of veiny dicks of various sizes and colors for a friend's Bachelorette party a couple years back.

Also new/different fidget toys (cubes, stars, spinners, puzzles) and optical illusion things (tensegrity tables, etc.) make fun gifts.

Years ago I made a PETT glue gun station that had knobs on it for coiling up the cord and storage for the glue sticks but couldn't see it being practical to semi-mass produce; then later I see where someone started flooding easy with the exact thing after I shared the model in a printer-specific message board showing it off.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Years ago I made a PETT glue gun station that had knobs on it for coiling up the cord and storage for the glue sticks but couldn't see it being practical to semi-mass produce; then later I see where someone started flooding easy with the exact thing after I shared the model in a printer-specific message board showing it off.

This reminds me that I have dozens of good ideas (alongside hundreds of bad ones), which I put time and effort into developing, and which could probably be pretty successful. Only once in my life, though, did I manage to secure a "hype man", who is willing to put the additional time and effort into marketing things and lining up funding. That particular invention is going on 13 years of commercial success now.

I feel strongly that inventing the thing is only half of the work required to make it successful. You must have had this same sense. It's lovely that the marketer didn't reach out to you in any way, though.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I made a bunch of these gift card boxes for people this Christmas to wrap last-minute gift cards, and almost everyone was more interested in the box than the gift card

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

$0.07 of filament in the slicer, so I had to get over a bit of a psychological hump at the thought of charging that much. But the guys that want 10 skull tokens will pay 50 bucks a ziploc so I'm not arguing

What are those people doing with their ziplocs full of skull tokens?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

withak posted:

Buying skull goods from the skull market obviously. Skull economy is booming now that the exchange rate has stabilized.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

People love dumb garbage

That said I think we're in the late fidget spinner stage of flexible dragons. Very much a get rich quick scheme where I see 6 people selling them at every event

I have an event in March where the organizer has booked 3 other people 3d printing things. A look at facebook/etsy pages shows they are either 100% dragons, or flexis make up a good portion.

Not gonna lie, I make good cash on stupid dragons, but I have done my homework and I pivoted to having a few tables full of completely new and different things I know they wont have. Now I hope someone buys them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I got asked to sponsor a ttrpg tournament here in Ontario, 70 person LOTR wargame tourney. They're looking for boats for one of the rounds. Basically wondering what kind of deal I can give them on it, and what id want in return. I'm thinking of just doing it for like cost plus 30%, and then having business cards with my website and a big discount code on it to track how much uptake there actually is in something like that.

They send grab bags back with everyone so my business card would be in there, and my logo and sponsor stuff would be listed in the room too.

I figure it's worth it, I'll just write off the difference as a donation or marketing and see if stuff like this is worth it overall.

Maybe even run off 60 LOTR esque minis to put in those bags too

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

withak posted:

they're cosmetic pieces the guy integrates into leatherwork I think. I haven't seen a finished product yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Run off enough for one in each goodie bag, along with a card. Include your shop name and URL and discount code on the business card of course, and embed name/logo into the mini if you can. That's a great marketing opportunity. Cost +30% seems fair.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

mattfl posted:

Someone already corned that market before we could do that lol

how about a bottom cap that houses a wire nut so you can use the whole shebang as a wire nut

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Comedy size wire nut for 16gauge wire connection.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

good for a lineman prank

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

mattfl posted:

Are we doing small things to giant things?

Wanna hear something completely ridiculous. Over the past 4 months or so my brother and I have made like 15k selling these oversized wire nuts to electricians lol

We have 4 different style wire nuts that we sell and man, electricians are weird people.

I was intrigued when some time back you alluded to some niche product you were making that was very appealing to a certain audience, I’m glad you spilled the beans because that’s pretty bloody random and hilarious.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Eh. It would make a good decoration for an electric supplier.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I was intrigued when some time back you alluded to some niche product you were making that was very appealing to a certain audience, I’m glad you spilled the beans because that’s pretty bloody random and hilarious.

I'm somehow more confused after learning the answer

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
In general which takes more effort/time, changing the nozzle on a Bambu X1C or swapping out the entire hotend assembly?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Listerine posted:

In general which takes more effort/time, changing the nozzle on a Bambu X1C or swapping out the entire hotend assembly?

You need to take out the assembly to swap just the nozzle in the first place, since the nozzle and hot end are a single integral part, and reinstalling the thermistor and heater on it is fiddly work

The extra $20 for the assembly saves you a lot of effort, especially if you plan on swapping often

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 4, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Dunno how well-known this is outside of electronic design, but you should be able to get good STEP files of most electronic parts like switches, relays, etc. Basic stuff like chips and resistors tend to have generic models, but something like a circuit breaker will often have a STEP that looks to be exported straight from the manuf’s CAD sources. Like you can disassemble the STEP file in your CAD program and see all the mechanical guts inside. It varies by manufacturer, but some are very detailed.

These files are provided by manufacturers for free so designers can render their boards, etc. I have made component purchasing choices based on the quality of the 3D models provided. STEP is standard in this space.

I hope some goon can make another $15k selling giant switches or something, ha ha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Yeah, same. That's awesome and funny as well. Glad you're making bank on your weird niche product.