Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I have a very snarky post about well heeled non profits needed for housing for young families instead of the richest generation ever, but this is the wrong thread

gently caress me for helping poor people I guess?

And increasing the housing supply helps everyone. so there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I didn't post it because it wasn't deserved. I'm sure your mission is valid. I currently work for soul sucking vultures so I have little room to talk*.

Just making commentary on lack of focus on housing for families. I have infinite respect for your mission, sir. My apologies.

*Before this I worked in health care and green products, but the mortgage must get paid

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Baddog posted:

I bitch a lot about the SEC, but we should be thankful our stock markets are as transparent as they are. Because for most Chinese there was no real place to put their money besides real estate. It's down to gold or like, bottles of baijiu now.

Its funny that you mention this, as the largest publicly traded Chinese company is... a liquor company that specializes in baijiu

Baddog
May 12, 2001

drk posted:

Its funny that you mention this, as the largest publicly traded Chinese company is... a liquor company that specializes in baijiu

"Investing" in baijiu is an actual thing

And it might actually be safer to buy the bottles than the shares, heh.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I strongly recommend if you're not already familiar with baiju, you just turn off your phone and walk away right now, unless you're interested in perfumed horse piss futures. I mean, it's an acquired taste, but in the same way weaponized Limburger cheese is

I guess to trade the stuff you don't have to open the bottle, but, yeah. You've been warned

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you forgot to mention gasoline

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's not normalized for population size, nor does it give averages (almost all the billionaires are old).

But in the interest of doing my own homework instead of asking someone else to do it:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/finance/average-net-worth-by-age

The median is the useful figure, since it shows a number below which half the people sit, and we can see that it currently does peak with boomers. This also makes sense as they're the ones who are at or well into retirement, and typically your lifetime wealth peaks just before or early in retirement as you are no longer earning a wage, your savings are still making large returns and can be more aggressively invested, you are more likely to own your house debt free/paid off, and you're less likely to have had catastrophic medical expenses. However, the median figures as compared to the mean figures show just how skewed the means are by the extremely wealthy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah it'd be weird if the aged 60-79 group wasn't the biggest by a pretty large margin. That'd be a bigger problem.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
note how the median is like, a fifth of what's actually required for a non-penurious retirement

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Who are these Millenials born after 1981 that are getting 2.5 trillion dollars worth of pensions?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Teachers, police, fire, state local federal employees, university jobs, utility employees. Union employees in the auto industry

Starting in 2008 a lot of pensions got cut to the bone, but if you joined before 08 you usually got grandfathered into the "pull the ladder up behind us" pension plan with the much higher payout

A lot of those "lifers" joined the company in 98-07

The pension I'm most familiar with, the cut off for the good pension was 2010, the company still offers a pension but the minimum number of years to qualify is ~5 years higher, and the payout is only a ~third of the good pension. I think number of years to get max payout is higher too

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 31, 2024

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

They lumped in "Defined Contribution Pension Entitlements" (read: 401k plans) into the pension bucket for purposes of that chart.

Only about half of that millennial bucket is defined benefit pensions, and that includes both traditional and non-traditional DB pension plans, but excludes social security entitlements.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/rele...ll;units:levels

esquilax fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 31, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

Who are these Millenials born after 1981 that are getting 2.5 trillion dollars worth of pensions?

Mostly government, military, firefighters, police, etc I’d think. I mean I have one.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

esquilax posted:

They lumped in "Defined Contribution Pension Entitlements" (read: 401k plans) into the pension bucket for purposes of that chart.

Only about half of that millennial bucket is defined benefit pensions, and that includes both traditional and non-traditional DB pension plans, but excludes social security entitlements.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/rele...ll;units:levels

The funny thing is, if you add 401(k)'s in to that number, it becomes a crazy number in a different, far more :stonk: sort of way. $2.5T / 72.24M millennials = $34.6K per millennial. We're not young anymore; that number is horrifying.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sundae posted:

The funny thing is, if you add 401(k)'s in to that number, it becomes a crazy number in a different, far more :stonk: sort of way. $2.5T / 72.24M millennials = $34.6K per millennial. We're not young anymore; that number is horrifying.

But have you considered how much avocado toast we have?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A good number of folks just keep working it’s like %20-25 above 65 and even 5-10 % above 75. (It varies depending on where one looks for the statistics)

That’s the “rich” boomer generation. It’s going to be more than for generations that had less as a cohort.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

But have you considered how much avocado toast we have?

Toast? IN THIS ECONOMY??

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Jobs report is out!

Here's a free link to the NYTimes reporting on it. Two different write-ups in there deserving some attention...

Lydia DePillis posted:

U.S. employers added 353,000 jobs in January.

The United States delivered a much bigger-than-expected batch of jobs last month, adding further evidence that the economy still has plenty of steam.

Employers added 353,000 jobs in January, the Labor Department reported on Friday, and the unemployment rate remained at 3.7 percent.

After the loss of 14 percent of the nation’s jobs early in the Covid-19 pandemic, the labor market’s endurance for more than three years has surprised economists, who expected factors including the Federal Reserve’s interest rate increases to slow hiring more sharply. The strong data on Friday is likely to reinforce the Fed’s patience in beginning to cut rates.

“There’s layoffs happening, but workers are able to find new positions,” said Sara Rutledge, an independent economics consultant. “It’s almost like a ‘pinch me’ scenario.”

Ms. Rutledge helped tabulate the National Association for Business Economics’ latest member survey, which found increasing optimism that the country would avoid a recession — matching a turnaround in measures of consumer confidence as inflation has eased.

The growth in January was all the more impressive on top of upward revisions to the prior two months, which brought the monthly average job gain in 2023 to 255,000. Professional and business services accelerated to pile on 74,000 jobs, while health care added 70,000. The only major sector to lose jobs was mining and logging.

The bumper crop of added jobs, nearly twice what forecasters had expected, mirrors the similarly surprising strength in gross domestic product measurements for the fourth quarter of 2023.

The new year dawned on what has been an exceptionally good economy for many workers, with the number of open jobs still exceeding the stock of people looking for positions, even as new immigrants and women have joined or rejoined the work force in unexpected numbers. Wages have been growing faster than their historical rates, and a strong increase in productivity has helped keep those fatter paychecks from fueling price increases.

Over the past year, most gains have been powered by sectors that either took longer to recover from the pandemic — including hotels, restaurants and local governments — or have outsize momentum because of structural factors, like aging demographics and pent-up demand for housing.

Other categories that experienced supersized growth during 2021 and 2022, including transportation, warehousing and information technology, have been falling back to their prepandemic trends. Another handful of sectors, such as retail, have been largely flat.

In the coming months, economists had expected the labor market to become even more like its prepandemic self, without the giant job growth that followed the pandemic lockdowns. The latest numbers may call that assessment into question.

Even manufacturing, which has been in a mild recession for about a year, added 23,000 positions. That reflects optimism in the latest purchasing managers index for manufacturing, which jumped unexpectedly last month. Timothy Fiore, the chair of the Institute for Supply Management committee that oversees the survey, said it seemed like the beginning of a turnaround, even if a slow one.

“Now we’re starting to gain altitude,” Mr. Fiore said. “It’s not a fighter pilot gain; it’s a cargo plane gain.”

Jeanna Smialek posted:

The blockbuster jobs report bolsters the Fed’s patience as it waits to cut rates.

Federal Reserve officials left interest rates unchanged this week and signaled that their next move is likely to be a cut — but they also signaled that they are in no hurry to make that change. Friday’s jobs data is likely to support their cautious stance.

Employers hired much more rapidly than expected in January, and average hourly earnings climbed 4.5 percent over the year, the fastest pace since September and a reversal after months of cooling.

While Jerome H. Powell, the Fed chair, made it clear during his news conference on Wednesday that the central bank is not bent on keeping interest rates high just to slow down the labor market, the report suggested that the economy may not be cooling quite as much as policymakers had expected.

And given that continued strength, the Fed is unlikely to feel pressure to cut interest rates at its next meeting in March. While policymakers do not want to hold borrowing costs too high for too long and risk a painful recession, the data suggest that a possible downturn remains very much at bay. Instead of faltering, the job market is booming.

The central bank’s policy rate is now set to 5.25 to 5.5 percent, a level high enough that economists think it will cool the economy as it trickles through financial markets and weighs on mortgage, credit card and business borrowing.

The Fed’s goal in trying to cool the economy is to rein in inflation, and price increases have been receding: Over the past six months, inflation data have been close to normal.

But that has come without much of a broader economic slowdown. While job openings have come down and the housing market slowed in reaction to higher rates, both hiring and consumer spending have remained surprisingly resilient.

Mr. Powell suggested this week that the Fed would like to see more evidence that inflation is coming under control before it begins to cut interest rates, and that it was unlikely to have enough data to feel confident in that before March.

Markets sharply dialed back the chances of a rate cut at that gathering following Friday’s jobs data.

But notably, Mr. Powell said that the Fed is willing to be patient — rather than wary and reactive — as it waits for wage growth to slow to normal levels. Some economists think that today’s relatively quick pace of wage gains could prevent inflation from stabilizing at 2 percent over time, were they to prevail.

“I think the labor market by many measures is at or near normal, but not totally back to normal,” Mr. Powell said. “Job openings are not quite back to where they were,” and wage increases “are not quite back to where they were.”

He added that wage increases “probably will take a couple of years to get all the way back, and that’s OK.”

It feels like the Fed is in a bit of a "did we actually pull this off? How? Are you sure? Let's just wait for a minute to triple-check" phase of the soft landing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Such a weird mix of economy adding jobs and layoff announcements dominating the employment news.

I know these aren't mutually exclusive at all but it still feels odd.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lockback posted:

Such a weird mix of economy adding jobs and layoff announcements dominating the employment news.

I know these aren't mutually exclusive at all but it still feels odd.

It kinda feels like there's a recession of sorts in high paying white collar jobs (or maybe just revision to the mean of tech employment trends) but if you wanna work at a Whole Foods or something you can get a job today with a pulse and a valid I-9 document.

This doesn't necessarily translate into people feeling good about the economy though. If you and everyone you know is getting laid off from knowledge worker jobs and you can't get another one or can't get one for more than 80% of your previous wage, it doesn't make the Biden economy feel "good" to you.

I really should try to see if there's any actual data on this though, since my opinion is really just "vibes" at this point.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mrmcd posted:

It kinda feels like there's a recession of sorts in high paying white collar jobs (or maybe just revision to the mean of tech employment trends) but if you wanna work at a Whole Foods or something you can get a job today with a pulse and a valid I-9 document.

This doesn't necessarily translate into people feeling good about the economy though. If you and everyone you know is getting laid off from knowledge worker jobs and you can't get another one or can't get one for more than 80% of your previous wage, it doesn't make the Biden economy feel "good" to you.

I really should try to see if there's any actual data on this though, since my opinion is really just "vibes" at this point.

It's a bit more complicated than that there's a need for workers in aerospace and medicine both white collar and blue collar. We've been hiring people who left for tech startups 20 years ago back into aerospace in droves. It seems more like the economy is reshuffling towards different sectors than towards lower paying jobs.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Funny enough, a friend just announced that they were leaving their job at Whole Foods because they had been hired on for a copywriting job. So I'm inclined to suspect that this isn't a case of lots of jobs opening but only downward-mobility occurring. Add in the fact that wage growth is continuing (and outpacing inflation) and it's clear that most of the people in the economy are moving up rather than down.

Of course, tech is one of those fields (like media) that tends to take up a lot more attention than its actual share of the economy. So the downturn there could have the people with the biggest platforms saying that the "Biden economy" is bad even when the majority of people are doing a whole lot better than they were 4 years ago.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

LanceHunter posted:

Of course, tech is one of those fields (like media) that tends to take up a lot more attention than its actual share of the economy. So the downturn there could have the people with the biggest platforms saying that the "Biden economy" is bad even when the majority of people are doing a whole lot better than they were 4 years ago.

Yeah that's also a very plausible explanation.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Also tech companies needed some readjustment down, they over hired after being injected with cash during Covid

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The salary outpacing inflation seems to indicate it's not a move downward, but I do think there's reshuffling and "Company X lays off 10,000" is a headline while "1000 companies each hire 100+" is not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

journalists and instagram influencers are losing jobs while everyone else is doing better, basically, so hmm, I wonder why the news "feels like" it's all layoffs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Leperflesh posted:

journalists and instagram influencers are losing jobs while everyone else is doing better, basically, so hmm, I wonder why the news "feels like" it's all layoffs

I mean, not really? It's extremely dependent on what your specific industry and even profession is. Both me and my wife are in white collar, non-tech jobs where poo poo has gotten noticeably tighter in the last quarter. We're both very actively looking for new jobs and things feel a lot more like 2018 than 2022. Frankly if we'd been doing this last year we probably would both have different employers now. The one good interview I had a few weeks ago ended up making me an offer at $10k less than I'm being paid now.

Meanwhile I've got friends in different industries where they are absolutely hiring for 6 figure + positions. Manufacturing in particular seems to be doing well.

Given how regional industries are I suspect the general economic outlook is also going ot vary pretty widely depending on where you live.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leviathan Song posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that there's a need for workers in aerospace and medicine both white collar and blue collar. We've been hiring people who left for tech startups 20 years ago back into aerospace in droves. It seems more like the economy is reshuffling towards different sectors than towards lower paying jobs.

I'm seeing vaguely similar trends

My limited friend group (so weak data point) mostly norcal tech folk, has all changed jobs in the last five years. Most of us were in tech startups. All but one of us moved to traditional larger companies like financial services/payments/banking, heavy industry manufacturing, or big pharma. Basically got laid off and a couple cases literally walked across the street to go work for a more traditional company. And always for more money, usually 10-20% more than their last gig. The people with an MBA all did even a lot better than that.

I see a lot of headlines about people getting laid off from tech companies, but I'm not hearing anyone crying about it either

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the economy wasn't poo poo in 2018. it wasn't like, insane like 2021 but it just wasn't that poo poo. no 2008, no 1930, no 1979

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The "you have to laugh because the alternative is crying" joke in gamedev is that the only people who still have jobs are indies, who can't be fired but aren't being paid anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The "you have to laugh because the alternative is crying" joke in gamedev is that the only people who still have jobs are indies, who can't be fired but aren't being paid anyway.

Gamedev has always been big boom and bust cycles though.

My wife was let go from a big medical tech company that is going through reductions, but she's also getting a lot of interest from similar jobs so it doesn't seem like the whole market is squeezed. Similarly we're hiring in software, but we're a boring financial SaaS company.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My company is offering a $5K referral bonus for a senior level IT position. Seems like they're having a hard time finding applicants even.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

Gamedev has always been big boom and bust cycles though.

While this is true, usually the cycles are less synchronized across companies. Like, an individual company laying off a bunch of people is commonplace, but every company laying off 25+% of their workforce in the space of one year?

Anyway, point is more to reinforce that some industries are suffering badly, even if the average person is doing better.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
absolutely routine in tv and film. to a first approximation, only mobile games actually earn money

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I certainly see currents of "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" vibe when I look at LinkedIn.

There's a senior-level Program Manager talking about how she's only had 10 interviews after submitting 104 applications in the 100 days since she was laid off.

There's a QA engineer who went to the same coding academy as me celebrating her 5 year anniversary at her current company.

There's a guy who does front-end dev who was laid off a few weeks ago but just got a senior position at a new company.

There are former co-workers who do pre-sales/solution engineering (the area where I used to be) who are talking about being impacted by layoffs at their companies. Meanwhile a different co-worker who co-founded a startup has gotten funding from Y Combinator and is celebrating their 3rd year in business.

Things are weird out there, and it's really hard to get a good look at the big picture from any individual viewpoint.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Manufacturing in particular seems to be doing well.

It’s all extremely automated though. There’s a lot of growth in specific manufacturing sectors particularly the ones targeted by the IRA and CHIPs. I watch these cargoes come in and it’s been unprecedented how fast it’s happening.

But unless one lives where it’s happening or is directly involved one would never know.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

There's a senior-level Program Manager talking about how she's only had 10 interviews after submitting 104 applications in the 100 days since she was laid off.

10 from 104 is actually fine, her problem is 104 applications in 100 days lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bob dobbs is dead posted:

10 from 104 is actually fine, her problem is 104 applications in 100 days lol

Well yeah, but she's also in a really rough spot and thus very stressed about not having a job. Her severance package was apparently pretty bad, and she's the sole bread-winner with a school-age kid and a chronically-ill husband.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I'm not even sure if Bob thinks that is too many or too little. I'm from the school of carefully selecting and responding to job offers, but everyone under 40 seems to spray and pray. A recent masters grad was telling me he was doing more like 100 a *day*, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the impression I get, which I have not validated with data, is that a lot of tech companies did layoffs last year in anticipation of the coming recession. Which hasn't happened, and now looks more and more like it won't. Those companies will find themselves understaffed as demand continues to rise for their products - or, in some cases, falls because their products are already suffering from the lack of development and support.