Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

lol it’s like everything the Avatar remake’s showrunner says to promote the show just makes it sound like he couldn’t understand a children’s cartoon from 20 years ago

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1753223319644442722?s=46&t=nGLHvHjFd0Mgr2TKVx4enQ

“What if instead of Aang being a little kid and wasting time on side activities as a way to run away from his big scary responsibilities he just nuts the gently caress up immediately?? That’s interesting and in line with Aangs journey, right!? Watch my show please!”

Ang running away from his big scary responsibilities was the whole reason he got frozen for 100 years and the world went to poo poo.

also
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1752095969506635999

Character growth is "iffy".

My animes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

PostNouveau posted:

Once again The Lighthouse stays winning

:amen:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PostNouveau posted:

The lighthouse and the thing. The two ultimate films, the only two that we should blast into space to survive our planet turning to ash

Edit: this “let’s just make Aang all responsible and stuff right away!” nonsense reminds me of that guy who hated Evangelion because “if I was offered a giant robot I would be stoked! I’d go gently caress yeah and jump right in and have a great time! It doesn’t make sense why Shinji is so upset about it!”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 2, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh can I jump in on this too

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1753243364554838095?t=z9_LJYt9AcwzynaLm-7uhA&s=19

"This kids show needs to be like Game Of Thrones," says Netflix after three dozen prior failed attempts to make their own Game of Thrones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

PostNouveau posted:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1753243364554838095?t=z9_LJYt9AcwzynaLm-7uhA&s=19

"This kids show needs to be like Game Of Thrones," says Netflix after three dozen prior failed attempts to make their own Game of Thrones.

I want to be dead

“It couldn’t just be for kids! That’s why we are ruining the aspects of this show that wound up managing to appeal to demographics across all age ranges and continues to be fondly spoken of two decades later. To broaden the age range”

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I find myself constantly balancing my posts between people who like rlm and people who like game of thrones which is why I've made the executive decision to chop off my own dick and balls.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I've never seen any version of Avatar, but still this looks like a huge red flag that the people at the helm don't understand how to tell a story.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mordja posted:

The only solution is to take women out of movies I'm afraid.

Like the thing

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

It can be so exhausting trying to parse the people online who are mocking the faux-feminism of the MCU because it is hollow corporate shilling and the ones who do it because they just hate women and this gives them a chance to say mean things about women online without getting any pushback.

lol that's kind of a genius demographic venn diagram really. deliberately be as performatively pc as possible so the sexists bemoan the left-wing media, the extremely online idiots fall over themselves to praise it, and the normals calling out the hollow vacuous virtue signaling. maximum engagement :thumbsup:

not saying disney did that on purpose but... well, maybe they did

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Arc Hammer posted:

oh my god lol

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Mordja posted:

Like Master and Commander.

Can someone post the pic of what we could have got?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The 5D chessmaster sheen has come off of disney pretty fast, if they have hit the optimal point in the engagement venn diagram it was probably only ever by a sequence of blind reactions to getting yelled at

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

oh my god lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

The 5D chessmaster sheen has come off of disney pretty fast, if they have hit the optimal point in the engagement venn diagram it was probably only ever by a sequence of blind reactions to getting yelled at

Yeah, I don't think that trick works anymore. I don't recall any huge outrage machine built up to defend or attack "The Marvels". It just kinda came and went with a collective shrug and probably lost the GDP of a small Oceania nation.

Edit: OK, budget of $275 million (:eyepop:) and then common rule of thumb is to double that for marketing, so $550 million total cost. Box office take worldwide was about $200 million for net -$350 million, which puts the loss at a bit over the GDP of the Marshall Islands.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 2, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like the thing

Hey now Mary Elizabeth Winstead was in renowned 2011 horror film The Thing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I just remembered one of my favorite quotes from Avatar

“Look, I hate to be the wet blanket here, but since Katara's busy, I guess it's up to me.”

Just wanted to share. Thanks RLM thread

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time in my 30s and it was great. I was also a GoT fan at the time.

Every justification Netflix has for making the live action series shittier is nullified by my personal lived experience. :lol:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I don't think that trick works anymore. I don't recall any huge outrage machine built up to defend or attack "The Marvels". It just kinda came and went with a collective shrug and probably lost the GDP of a small Oceania nation.

Edit: OK, budget of $275 million (:eyepop:) and then common rule of thumb is to double that for marketing, so $550 million total cost. Box office take worldwide was about $200 million for net -$350 million, which puts the loss at a bit over the GDP of the Marshall Islands.

Box office math is the realm of madmen and charlatans, but I think I've read that the studio take of domestic ticket sales is about 60%, but only around 20% to 40% of that on overseas ticket sales.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Vakal posted:

Box office math is the realm of madmen and charlatans, but I think I've read that the studio take of domestic ticket sales is about 60%, but only around 20% to 40% of that on overseas ticket sales.

Domestic is like 90% during the first couple of weeks where most of the money is made. That's why concessions prices are so high.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vakal posted:

OK that reduces the studio's revenue to about $94 million, so the loss is now about $450 million, and we've upgraded the loss from this movie to the GDP of Micronesia.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the marvels was a thoughtful and incisive critique of the usual male power fantasy in superhero movies, and they deftly subvert genre expectations by giving our protagonists the agency to transform a broken system, rather than just "win" it by brute force

or maybe they just punched some cg aliens.
I dunno, I ain't watching that poo poo

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Looking forward to all exposition dumps in brothels

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Looking forward to all exposition dumps in brothels

Play with her arse Aang!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

sweet geek swag posted:

Domestic is like 90% during the first couple of weeks where most of the money is made. That's why concessions prices are so high.

Here is my experience from theater work years ago. Mileage my vary since the number of chains/indies has chanced since then.

The 90% number sounds a bit low. A typical thing we were told that studios took as high as 95-100% of the first 2 weeks of box office, varying between movie and studio. Add into that, some studios would also charge an additional rental fee on top of that.

An example of that was our manager telling us that we weren't gettting a major new release at several theaters week of release due to the studio wanting $1000-2000 extra per print of the film than typically asked for by studios. That doesn't seem like a lot, but for a two-week window that's a minimum of $6M for a relatively wide release film.

A huge thing that almost never gets spoken of is Disney numbers were never shared with an outside agency. We shared box office numbers with some company at the end of every night, but we were NEVER EVER to share Disney numbers on anything. This then turns into a more conspiracy theory thing on my part that I don't hear brought up too often that Disney just pools all their weekly box offices into a single thing and then internally determines which films made how much from that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LanceHunter posted:

I imagine Eric Andre has to have some level of anxiety about what kind of bullshit his fans might bull if they see him in public. It's like how wrestlers back in the day had to deal with fans who thought it was real and decided that they would avenge a face's loss by stabbing the heel.

At least Rich Evans has only been punched in the face by a fan once so far.

I kinda suspect that the MCU movies intentionally put in a "brief, pleasant fan interaction" scene in a lot of their movies as a way to subtly advise their fans on how they should act if they end up seeing one of the actors out in public.

I remember seeing an interview with Eric Andre where he mentioned having lunch somewhere when a teenage fan kicks him in the back outta nowhere

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

colonelwest posted:

Yeah it’s crazy how low both have sunk as brands at this point. Star Trek really has almost nothing left in the tank at this point. Picard and Discovery are both cancelled, and literally no one watched the latter beyond season 2. SNW is still going but S3 is delayed probably into 2025. Everyone knows that Paramount+ is hemorrhaging money and is never going to survive as an independent service long-term, and Paramount itself is actively courting buyers. So, the current era of Trek’s days are probably numbered.

It's amazing how Star Trek and Wars both went from being two behemoths of pop culture to being dead so quickly

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's amazing how Star Trek and Wars both went from being two behemoths of pop culture to being dead so quickly

Doesn't take long to cash out brand goodwill when you make years of trash I guess

It really is shocking how bad the Disney Star Wars movies were and how they turned gold into lead with them in such short order through some sorta forbidden movie alchemy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

We need a show that gets very popular and then gets run into the ground and has all its cultural relevance destroyed in the final few seasons

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

“We have removed the aspect of Uncle Iroh where he was a war hero of the bad guys. That aspect of his character was kind of iffy and made me squeem so we have replaced it with nothing”

Taking all bets, will this be the next statement from the Netflix Avatar showrunners?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

At this point I kinda hope that Netflix' live-action Avatar turns out to be an enormous success, if only because it will really piss off the intensely irritating adult fans of that children's cartoon.

Then they can do a live-action Stephen Universe where everyone is canonically straight or something and watch the last vestiges of Tumblr completely burn itself down.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mordja posted:

But then we'd only have movies like 12 Angry Men and The Thing

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I knew a grown woman about fifteen years ago who during one conversation told me about the last air bender and all the characters and plots and how it was really deep

She’s a producer now

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

“We have removed the aspect of Uncle Iroh where he was a war hero of the bad guys. That aspect of his character was kind of iffy and made me squeem so we have replaced it with nothing”

Taking all bets, will this be the next statement from the Netflix Avatar showrunners?

Bad guys give us the ick so from now on all characters will be Good Guys and all shows will just be the first 20 minutes of the shire in LotR

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1753501014668579319?t=8D1uUdi4NYUO49ydZhWdJg&s=19

Carl Weathers is dead. I guess he really didn't want to do another season of Mandalorian.

It peaked at the Magic Hand Thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUuP3zXN9oo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was going to say "drat, I need to rewatch They Live in his honor", but then I realized that was Keith David lol

Weathers was great in Predator and the Rocky movies. RIP.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:rip: Apollo Creed & half of the handshake meme

Vakal
May 11, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

:rip: Apollo Creed & half of the handshake meme

Which makes the fact that the Pred blows his arm off funnier.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's up in heaven with that drat alligator and Abe Lincoln.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Arc Hammer posted:

He's up in heaven with that drat alligator and Abe Lincoln.

yep. RIP