Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I'm working on painting up the Push of Pike starter for Warlord's Epic Pike and Shotte. While I'm invested in historicals, most of my gaming partners are solely fantasy skirmish gamers. Is there any sort of "faction breakdown" for the EP&S armies, that I could point them towards? Even if I end up bringing the New Model against Ottomans or the Swedes, it'll be better if my partners are somewhat aware of what the strengths of each faction are. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

alg posted:

Farm fields, pig pen, hay stacks, standing stones, old church are some good ones

Fogou models has great stuff

Thank you, happily I found a designer who has done a bunch of scatter terrain including beehives and haystacks - my filament printer is on the Fritz so big buildings are out of the equation but hopefully should be sorted soon for walls, ramparts and fortifications and in the meantime I can flood the table with meaningless scatter…

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Welp, after buying the models a while back, scrounging some model booze crates and painting through my backlog, I've at last finished off my Blackshirt mortar team for Bolt Action! I use an Italian Alpini force primarily, however I painted-up a Blackshirt section to be a disposable building-/tank-assault team (since alpini vets are expensive, dammit! And well, who cares if a few pro-fascist Blackshirts die?) but when I saw this mortar crew, I knew I had to buy it. :D

I'm not a good painter by any stretch, but I had fun making it. I mean, who doesn't love having some carousing bunch of yahoos as their indirect fire support? :D Drinking, smoking (bit hard to tell, but one has a pipe), along with plenty of whooping and hollering whenever they see an explosion off in the distance.

And of course, in stark contrast, I had to give 'em a highly nervous, uptight spotter. No doubt relieved to be away from the rowdy crew, but possibly somewhat concerned that they might mess up their firing solution and accidentally blow him up, or a friendly unit. (At least, I would be...)

(Also in case anyone finds the light brown rims odd, I colour-code the rims to make squads stick out more. Plain black for single unit crews, or a variety of other colours for arty+spotter combos and infantry, etc.)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Very nice indeed, Major Isoor - >20th century troops really do need some kind of markers to differentiate themselves however garish it might look, but with natural colours such as yours it's easy to see and not hard on the eye.

Reading 'Empire of the Deep' I am understanding prior to the introduction of the Cog, naval warfare in and around England, Scotland, Ireland, Scandinavia and France mostly consisted of offensive and counter-offensive longboats to land troops. I didn't realise how little of Viking incursion involved outright battle and how much was mostly hauling ships up and hiding them and going pillaging until being paid off, so I've found a nice 26 oar clinker-built viking ship to print off as scenery/objective: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-small-viking-warship-with-26-oars-ca-950-ad-snekja-102813. The creator has a boat applicable for the Norman conquest too, and I reckon both would be nice touches to the deployment zone of a dark ages army.

While thinking about boats and two recent Man-o-War episodes from Bedroom Battlefields (Chris Synder: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4BiGjkVgkD8EelQ1ONzUXg?si=159d4595f296495f) and (Cam: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6eaKgh8HH74HiZzSqHVtxV?si=c8d395d79c3d49fa) it did get me thinking about how Grand Fleets / Fighting Sail have just been a bit dull for me when they actually hit the tabletop. Without exception I get excited about building the fleets and thinking about the game, but when it comes to the grind of slowly degrading capabilities and damage accumulation it all falls a bit flat.

I can kinda see two potential reasons, either the ships are too remote and impersonal for a real emotional investment in the outcome - or the actual game itself isn't that captivating? It's a lot less popular than skirmish or big battle games so there's less chance for good games to be developed and rise to the surface maybe? Clearly the affection for naval warfare is there in the fantasy and sci-fi realms with Battlefleet Gothic, Man-o-War, Armada. Maybe the dyed in wool historical naval game is already an anachronism with how reluctant navies were to commit and even moreso in what we would call a fair game in tabletop terms?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Reading up on Napoleon's campaigns and it got me wondering how are Historicals balanced? For example, are the French units faster?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

War and Pieces posted:

Reading up on Napoleon's campaigns and it got me wondering how are Historicals balanced? For example, are the French units faster?
It really depends on the game. A lot of rule systems use "national characteristics" to differentiate between forces, and these tend to be based on the doctrine or organization of the armies. For instance, in the Napoleonic era, French units trained and drilled in the art of forming an assault column with the intent to close with the enemy and get stuck in. In Sharp Practice, for instance, French line infantry units get the "Pas de Charge" ability, which gives them a bonus when making such attacks. It costs in-game resources to use, but if/when you can pull it of it's pretty cool. Similarly, British units of that era focused their drill on forming a solid firing line, discharging a close-range volley, and surging forward with the bayonet. This is represented in the "Thin Red Line" special ability that their line infantry get.

Additionally, many games have "points" systems that assign a value to a particular unit. Games like Bolt Action work just like 40K in that the game is played at an agreed-upon points value and you just buy whatever troops fit. Others, like Chain of Command, give each force a relative rating, and the differential between forces is used to give the "weaker" unit a little bit of extra support (over and above whatever comes along with the scenario).

And finally, the scenario/campaign design is where you find a lot of the balance. One force might be very strong, but its objectives are more difficult to achieve, for instance. This is how you get asymmetric scenarios, which can be a ton of fun. I actually wrote an article for Goonhammer about things to consider when designing asymmetric scenarios, handy link: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-asymmetric-conflict-in-wargaming/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Very nice indeed, Major Isoor - >20th century troops really do need some kind of markers to differentiate themselves however garish it might look, but with natural colours such as yours it's easy to see and not hard on the eye.

Yeah, agreed. A friend of mine was initially dubious, but after seeing how easy it makes it at a glance, he's come around to the idea and is going to implement a similar system. Regarding your 'easy on the eye' comment though, yeah that's my aim - however, uh... I ran low on colours, so I actually have a purple- and an orange-rimmed mortar and howitzer team, respectively. So easy on the eye for most, while... horribly garish for others :v: (Perhaps I should've bought more paints, or mixed some! Ah well, they definitely stand out at least, haha)

Also, regarding Bolt Action still - what's the largest scale game anyone here has played? My aim is to play a 4000pt (possibly a little over) with a friend in the near future, seeing as we've both accumulated many, many men and vehicles. Mostly shonky ones on my part, since I just love all the cute, defective Italian armoured vehicles! :D
Anyway, I'm mostly wondering about how large-scale games go, really. I played a 2300pt game at the end of last game, which actually went pretty quickly compared to our earlier 1000pt games. So... hopefully it doesn't blow out the playtime too much, having four times the recommended point total!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 30, 2024

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's an entire vehicle based expansion called Tank War that lets you field platoons of armor instead of the normal restrictions. That'd eat up some points for sure.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Springfield Fatts posted:

There's an entire vehicle based expansion called Tank War that lets you field platoons of armor instead of the normal restrictions. That'd eat up some points for sure.

Hmm, yeah true actually. I've just taken a look and it seems like I've got enough L3 tankettes for an entire "armoured" platoon (three twin-MMG variants, two flamer variants, plus an AT variant equipped with a mounted AT-rifle), along with probably one and a half other maxed-out armoured platoons' worth of miscellaneous tanks, SPGs and armoured cars.
This is gonna be a big game! I'll have to tally all my guys later, to make sure I don't need to increase the 4k point budget. I'll have to take a photo of all our guys assembled pre- and post-game (the survivors, anyway), since I reckon we'll both have an insane amount of troops and gear combined

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, agreed. A friend of mine was initially dubious, but after seeing how easy it makes it at a glance, he's come around to the idea and is going to implement a similar system. Regarding your 'easy on the eye' comment though, yeah that's my aim - however, uh... I ran low on colours, so I actually have a purple- and an orange-rimmed mortar and howitzer team, respectively. So easy on the eye for most, while... horribly garish for others :v: (Perhaps I should've bought more paints, or mixed some! Ah well, they definitely stand out at least, haha)

Also, regarding Bolt Action still - what's the largest scale game anyone here has played? My aim is to play a 4000pt (possibly a little over) with a friend in the near future, seeing as we've both accumulated many, many men and vehicles. Mostly shonky ones on my part, since I just love all the cute, defective Italian armoured vehicles! :D
Anyway, I'm mostly wondering about how large-scale games go, really. I played a 2300pt game at the end of last game, which actually went pretty quickly compared to our earlier 1000pt games. So... hopefully it doesn't blow out the playtime too much, having four times the recommended point total!

My recommendation is to activate 3-4 units per dice pull to speed things up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Maybe a dumb question but are there any good historical skirmish games that don't have extra cards and boards and such that need to be bought? Saga has boards and special dice, Sharp Practice has special cards, etc.

I just want to paint up some dudes and have them fight, preferably with PDF rules I can buy online. I'm looking at maybe Clash of Spears or Clash of Katanas, especially since I think they have a dark age version coming out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lion Rampant (and it's spinoff Pikemans Lament, Rebels and Patriots, Men Who Would Be Kings and fantasy/scifi versions Dragon/Xenos Rampant) is a good place to look for doing 28mm skirmish when you just want a justification for having painted the models

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Lion Rampant (and it's spinoff Pikemans Lament, Rebels and Patriots, Men Who Would Be Kings and fantasy/scifi versions Dragon/Xenos Rampant) is a good place to look for doing 28mm skirmish when you just want a justification for having painted the models

That's probably the direction I'll go. Dadi & Piombo (the people who make Impetus) also have skirmish rulesets that seem to fit the bill!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

That's probably the direction I'll go. Dadi & Piombo (the people who make Impetus) also have skirmish rulesets that seem to fit the bill!

I really enjoy Pikeman's Lament: I've got Lion-Rampant 2nd edition but I've not got it down on the table yet, I'm still waiting on a good sized order of Pendraken dark ages and WOTR figures to use. I think the major issue is just how long the stat-line ends up being rather than something quite as elegant as A Song of Blades and Heroes with two, you've got move order, move distance, shoot order, shoot distance + long distance, attack order, attack value, defence value, morale value plus the special rules.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Count Thrashula posted:

Maybe a dumb question but are there any good historical skirmish games that don't have extra cards and boards and such that need to be bought? Saga has boards and special dice, Sharp Practice has special cards, etc.

I just want to paint up some dudes and have them fight, preferably with PDF rules I can buy online. I'm looking at maybe Clash of Spears or Clash of Katanas, especially since I think they have a dark age version coming out.

FWIW for SP I've just used playing cards keeping the face cards as command flags and assigning a number to a given leader.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The SP2 cards are a small one time cost for basically the only good black powder era skirmish game.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Count Thrashula posted:

All of the Nordic Weasel skirmish games just require you to buy a PDF of the rules and nothing else.

Blood Eagle is also available in a PDF for specifically Dark Age skirmishes (with a little bit of optional fantasy).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I really enjoyed my games of Absolute Emperor - it is a really nice and robust wargaming ruleset by Bruce Boyd with Osprey Games set in the Napoleonic period. The main benefit from it is that units are very simple (elite/regular/conscript) and can be both disordered (for example, moving through rough terrain, being surprised by a flank attack) and damaged - which degrades them one 'level' of veterancy. Also, that commanders can lose "elan" points by being beaten in combat/firing, but also voluntarily spend it for rerolls.

He's now written one for the SYW:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah for Sharp Practice you can easily just use a regular deck of cards. Each player needs one card of a colour specifically tied to each leader that can activate, and then 4-5 flag cards of the same colour. So you just go with one side having 2-10 of spades (and clubs if you have more than 9 activations) and then use the jacks, queens kings and aces as flag cards. Badabing, badaboom.

That said, I've only played Lion Rampant once, but I found it a very light and simple beer & pretzel ruleset that might not have tons of depth compared to some games, but is perfectly servicable as way to move some cool historical minis around and roll some dice.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 30, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I really like Lion Rampant (the second edition is particularly nice, and has a lot more scenarios included), but I find that the flavour of the rules is particularly suited to a much more limited period than its marketed for. Particularly 11th to 13th century feudal skirmishes, which is the period Daniel Mersey was concentrating on when he wrote it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Signal posted:

I'm working on painting up the Push of Pike starter for Warlord's Epic Pike and Shotte. While I'm invested in historicals, most of my gaming partners are solely fantasy skirmish gamers. Is there any sort of "faction breakdown" for the EP&S armies, that I could point them towards? Even if I end up bringing the New Model against Ottomans or the Swedes, it'll be better if my partners are somewhat aware of what the strengths of each faction are. Thanks!

Well, I think one of the major problems in the English Civil War is that both sides are essentially the same and many groups of people ended up fighting on both sides!

If you really distilled down the differences, you might be able to argue that the royalists had better elite cavalry, And by the end, the parliament had a better organised infantry? I think this is a problem in lots of historical areas - where there is a need to stylised and differentiate the forces by exaggerating any minor differences they may have had.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

FWIW the Saga special dice are just obfuscated D6s and you can readily substitute the symbols, I think the game even offers a conversion method.

I understand wanting to avoid a bunch of gubbins but for historicals at least you're really locking yourself out of some sick stuff.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This also made me think 'hey has someone made an stl of these?' and the answer is always of course they have.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

rolling 3d printed dice must be the most unrewarding thing in the world

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gonna shill for Smol Miniatures again because I can't believe I missed their latest kickstarter. That's the guy that did the insanely broad 15mm Samurai range, and now he's back with 15mm Vikings/Saxons/Normans

For $40!!...
This is the core set, but then every stretch goat got met, so you also have almost all of the same units again for Saxons and for Normans and extra stuff like monks and peasants.

quote:

Includes:
200+ Viking Units

Mounted Units:

18 x Horses
5 x Mounted Spear Units
5 x Mounted Sword Units
5 x Mounted Spear and Shield Units
5 x Mounted Sword and Shield Units

Foot Units:

10 x Heavy Spear Units
10 x Light Spear Units
10 x Heavy Spear and Shield Units
10 x Light Spear and Shield Units
10 x Light Axe and Shield Units
5 x Heavy Axe and Shield Units
5 x Heavy Dual Wield Axe Units
9 x Heavy Sword Units
9 x Heavy Sword Shield Uniits
10 x Light Sword Units
10 x Light Sword Shield Units
5 x Light Dual Wield Sword and Axe Units
5 x Light Dual Wield Sword and Saex Units
5 x Heavy Two-Handed Axe Units
5 x Heavy Two-Handed Axe and Shield Units
5 x Light Archer Units
5 x Light Saex Units
5 x Light Saex and Shield Units
3 x Warhorn Units
4 x Standard Bearer Units
3 x Casualties
12 x Shield Maidens
4 x Berserker Units
1 x Viking Raiding Ship

Seriously, the value is insane, so go check it out while you can still late pledge via MMF - https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/viking-warfare-smol-miniatures-2344

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

Well, I think one of the major problems in the English Civil War is that both sides are essentially the same and many groups of people ended up fighting on both sides!

If you really distilled down the differences, you might be able to argue that the royalists had better elite cavalry, And by the end, the parliament had a better organised infantry? I think this is a problem in lots of historical areas - where there is a need to stylised and differentiate the forces by exaggerating any minor differences they may have had.

Thanks for the response! I'm actually fairly familiar with the conflict in general, but I agree about the stylization: I don't think Lord Byron left Marston Moor with feelings of Royalist cavalry superiorty. My question was mostly about this specific game, although I guess general Warlord Pike & Shotte info also helps. This is what I put together to try and answer my own question, if it helps anyone else:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Gonna shill for Smol Miniatures again because I can't believe I missed their latest kickstarter. That's the guy that did the insanely broad 15mm Samurai range, and now he's back with 15mm Vikings/Saxons/Normans

For $40!!...
This is the core set, but then every stretch goat got met, so you also have almost all of the same units again for Saxons and for Normans and extra stuff like monks and peasants.

Seriously, the value is insane, so go check it out while you can still late pledge via MMF - https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/viking-warfare-smol-miniatures-2344

I'd been thinking about getting this dude's samurai, but gently caress it, I'll do the vikings.

And get the samurai later and have them fight

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For you EU goons Victrix are having a warehouse moving sale.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
My partners and I have recently gotten into Bolt Action and Flames of War, and I was wondering if there were any good resources on painting them up. I won't let myself become a real scale modeling sicko, but that doesn't mean I can't do it at a smaller scale.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

poop chute posted:

My partners and I have recently gotten into Bolt Action and Flames of War, and I was wondering if there were any good resources on painting them up. I won't let myself become a real scale modeling sicko, but that doesn't mean I can't do it at a smaller scale.
The Farnworth painting guides are usually pretty handy, and there are scads of YouTube channels that have painting tutorials for a variety of different nationalities. Just Google something like "WW2 Marine painting guide" or "early war fallschirmjager painting guide" and you'll get lots of images, videos, and write-ups.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If anyone is in the market for printable 28mm Napoleonics, the stuff from Piano Miniatures is insanely detailed. I'm not sure my paintjob did this NCO justice, but these models rival any Perry stuff I've seen as far as detail and quality goes. And printing at 95% matched the Perry plastic exactly.

edit-- to not doublepost, here's Davout too (Davout tout?)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 8, 2024

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

If anyone is in the market for printable 28mm Napoleonics, the stuff from Piano Miniatures is insanely detailed. I'm not sure my paintjob did this NCO justice, but these models rival any Perry stuff I've seen as far as detail and quality goes. And printing at 95% matched the Perry plastic exactly.

edit-- to not doublepost, here's Davout too (Davout tout?)

Yeah the Piano stuff is super impressive, I picked up his first Austrian bundle and painted up a test stand and his sculpt quality is wild.

Looks like my next historical project is the 28mm South Vietnamese army circa 1969 since my friends claimed all the good guy spots already. Rubicon seems to have some swanky new plastic kits for the Americans and North Vietnamese, I don't know that much about the period yet other than the good guys winning. Anyone make any good kits for the ARVN either in physical or STL form for 28mm?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comrade Merf fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 10, 2024

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The next episode of our play-through of the Totensonntag PSC for Chain of Command is up:

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-campaign-part-7-a-renewed-assault/

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ilor posted:

The next episode of our play-through of the Totensonntag PSC for Chain of Command is up:

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-campaign-part-7-a-renewed-assault/

Great writeup! Every time I read one of these I really wanna buy into Chain of Command. Usually reading the rulebook cures me of it, but still

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

StashAugustine posted:

Great writeup! Every time I read one of these I really wanna buy into Chain of Command. Usually reading the rulebook cures me of it, but still
Thanks! And yeah, the rulebook can be a little hard to parse sometimes, especially with its use of the term "unit" to mean a couple of different things in different contexts. But once you get the hang of it, it really is a fantastic game. It produces narrative like almost no other game I have played, and in campaign mode it is hands down some of the best tabletop wargaming experience I've ever had.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah it's almost like a second edition could easily clear up a lot of the the bad verbiage and the reams of errata and faq's the game has racked up over the years. Just don't ever mention this to TLF.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

Yeah it's almost like a second edition could easily clear up a lot of the the bad verbiage and the reams of errata and faq's the game has racked up over the years. Just don't ever mention this to TLF.

Why are they so allergic to the idea?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm trying not to sound pejorative but it feels like it's written as guidelines for a reenactment rather than rules for a game, which is just absolutely not my style at all. Like I'm willing to put up with some of the asymmetric setups and dice rolls simulating the chaos of command, but I would like the rules to actually tell me how to play the game

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Giving Soviet commissars a points cost but no actual rules text would probably be the best mechanical representation of them if it was intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Why are they so allergic to the idea?

In general, second editions just don't make as much money because less people are going to buy them. Given razor thin margins its just not a great idea most of the time for niche games. Rich has talked about it a lot on their podcast and in articles.

I really want a Sharp Practice 3 but I can't see it ever happening.