Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

redshirt posted:

So is this an official "thing"? Is the US going around to various allies with the direct intention of doing swaps, so that other country will transfer material to Ukraine? Like with Greece the other day. In order to get around the pro-Russians in the US Congress.

It sounds like a US military official described them doing it, so I would assume that it’s an official thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dog piled by dog pals LIKE A DOG!!

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Everyone always asks Whereasimov, but nobody asks Howasimov

EDIT: Also - the US is thinking of sending weapons to Ecuador? Nicuaragua? Cuba? Venezuela?

Aren't these not exactly friendly states? What alternate timeline is this?

Is it a technique to scare the Republicans?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tigey posted:

EDIT: Also - the US is thinking of sending weapons to Ecuador? Nicuaragua? Cuba? Venezuela?

Who said anything about giving Cuba and Venezuela anything?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

spankmeister posted:

Who said anything about giving Cuba and Venezuela anything?

The article. I saw that too

Edit
Commander of United States Southern Command Laura Richardson said in January 2023 that Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and six more Latin American countries possess Russian-made weapons and the country would be willing to swap these Russian weapons for US-made ones if said countries agree to transfer them to Ukraine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

The article. I saw that too

Oh I read over that, thanks.

Still, the source is TASS. Which is the Russian state news agency. I would wait for confirmation from a reputable source.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Oh its TASS. The toilet news agency

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tigey posted:

One thing I think people will only credit Biden with after he leaves office is exactly how good he is at playing the political game.

Obama fought for 8 years to get a sighing concession of a healthcare bill passed after giving the republicans everything they wanted on it and getting almost nothing in return. Biden has gotten serious impacts on student loans, infrastructure, and world security cooperation in 4, all in spite of republicans being even more intransigent babies than they were in 2008.

e: goddamn mobile app cut off the second part of my post:

I have serious doubts about conduits like Venezuela being used for something like this, but the US absolutely is using conduits for stuff like this.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 2, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's TASS aka russian propaganda.

Although I imagine the US would be happy to send weapons to Cuba and Venezuela very, very quickly.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

It's TASS aka russian propaganda.

Although I imagine the US would be happy to send weapons to Cuba and Venezuela very, very quickly.

Hmm, why would Russian propaganda make it seem like Cuba is working with the US to aid Ukraine?

What's in it for them? The Russians.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Lol every time you lock up your country's best missile engineers to make the rest of your population think your missiles are so good that the entire world is trying to steal or spy away the designs

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HonorableTB posted:

Lol every time you lock up your country's best missile engineers to make the rest of your population think your missiles are so good that the entire world is trying to steal or spy away the designs

It's like the idiot's version of operation paperclip.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Here's what General Richardson said:

quote:

If I talk to my number two adversary in the region, Russia. I mean, I've got of course the countries Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua with Russia relationships, but what I really look at - and six other countries by the way, so a total of nine that have Russian equipment in them and we're working to replace that Russian equipment with United States equipment. If those countries want to donate it to Ukraine or the cause that's happening and be able to replace that with US equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ry5Xl7AhM&t=1135s

The quote is real, but of course, no Latin American country ever donated equipment to Ukraine. Personally, I doubt she was being entirely serious, but you'd have to ask her.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are... are those WWI weapons? :stare:

I have no idea whether those pictures are real or a joke, but if Russia really is issuing mothballed Degtyarev MGs that'd be a big lol.
It's from the 1920's and has a crappy, humongous drum mag flopping around on the top side which has to be in perfect condition to work at all.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

And those Maxims are bad rear end for sustained fire being water cooled with a big cap to pack snow when in a pinch. And the article about one in a log bunker in Ukraine is neat but they really are obsolete being so heavy and having such a high profile for the gunner.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

"So Putin is jailing the people who lied about their fake hypersonic missiles? What's wrong with that? They stole money from the government! This is what normal leaders would do."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Toxic Mental posted:

"So Putin is jailing the people who lied about their fake hypersonic missiles? What's wrong with that? They stole money from the government! This is what normal leaders would do."

i mean alot of it reminds me about the nazi wonder weapons and honestly most authoerterian run shitholes. Big leader wants wonder weapons to win the war he caused or will caused, nerds dont want to die on the front or get shot in the head so they make poo poo up and make some vague prototypes. if it melts the pilot or etc then who cares, they dont go to the front. also if not at war, just blow the grant money or whatever.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

sauer kraut posted:

I have no idea whether those pictures are real or a joke, but if Russia really is issuing mothballed Degtyarev MGs that'd be a big lol.
It's from the 1920's and has a crappy, humongous drum mag flopping around on the top side which has to be in perfect condition to work at all.

The Maxims I can understand. They're hearty and can fire all day with a water jacket (I'd honestly take them over an M2 .50 cal depending on the situation*). Their internals are kinda weird, though.

DP-28s, though, Jesus. There have got to be more RPKs or even RPDs in storage, right? We found all kinds of antique poo poo on insurgents in Iraq, but even they never seemed desperate enough to use one of those.

*To be fair, I've heard the M2 iterations since I left the service have been better. Maybe I was unlucky or something, but I feel like I had to clear the chamber for every 20 rounds I fired out of one.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

I'll bet you're a hoot at parties

I'm great. I even understand rhyme and joke structure. It's crazy!

What can you do other than failing at rhyming and failing witty retorts?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The Maxims I can understand. They're hearty and can fire all day with a water jacket (I'd honestly take them over an M2 .50 cal depending on the situation*). Their internals are kinda weird, though.

DP-28s, though, Jesus. There have got to be more RPKs or even RPDs in storage, right? We found all kinds of antique poo poo on insurgents in Iraq, but even they never seemed desperate enough to use one of those.

*To be fair, I've heard the M2 iterations since I left the service have been better. Maybe I was unlucky or something, but I feel like I had to clear the chamber for every 20 rounds I fired out of one.

I feel like we'll find some weird automatic mosin nagant machinegun conversion at some point

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm great. I even understand rhyme and joke structure. It's crazy!

What can you do other than failing at rhyming and failing witty retorts?

Let's not do this ok

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war thread

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I was going to say pretty much about the same thing about Maxims and DP-28s; its a war, its a machine gun, and if they work and you have ammo for it, there is a use for it. They are craptastic and there are million better weapons but machine gun is always a machine gun, you are better off with crappy one than without one.

EDIT: So that it is obvious; of course I hope that these are more trouble than worth it because they are at Russian hands. But if it still spits bullets it isn't automatically useless, even if they are ancient.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 2, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

DP-28s, though, Jesus. There have got to be more RPKs or even RPDs in storage, right?

They absolutely do, but there is a catch. Early on, the USSR pristinely preserved all war material. All the WW2 surplus, captured equipment and the like got drowned in cosmoline, wrapped in waterproof blankets, crated and properly stored in good conditions. But after the system decayed, none of that was done anymore and all the stuff that became surplus at the fall of the state were just kind of left somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

I was going to say pretty much about the same thing about Maxims and DP-28s; its a war, its a machine gun, and if they work and you have ammo for it, there is a use for it. They are craptastic and there are million better weapons but machine gun is always a machine gun, you are better off with crappy one than without one.

Yes of course a machine gun is a machine gun and one is better than none. You just have to wonder why the 2nd stronkest military in the world doesn't have something less janky to hand out.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Tuna-Fish posted:

They absolutely do, but there is a catch. Early on, the USSR pristinely preserved all war material. All the WW2 surplus, captured equipment and the like got drowned in cosmoline, wrapped in waterproof blankets, crated and properly stored in good conditions. But after the system decayed, none of that was done anymore and all the stuff that became surplus at the fall of the state were just kind of left somewhere.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes of course a machine gun is a machine gun and one is better than none. You just have to wonder why the 2nd stronkest military in the world doesn't have something less janky to hand out.

Because the marble statues in the dacha's owned by the military top brass need to be maintained regularly because of the Russian weather, and the bath house for dogs has mold issues that also costs money to fix.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Cosmoline is the great satan

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tigey posted:

Dead as fuckimov.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dead as fuckimov.

I choked :laffo:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dead as fuckimov.

Six feet under the Grassimov

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Vladimir Putin is 6 million roaches in a poo poo-covered trench coat

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

It looks like Zaluzhny is gone after all.

quote:

The government of Ukraine has informed the White House that President Volodymyr Zelensky has decided to fire his top military commander, Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, in what would be the most consequential personnel shake-up of the war, said two people familiar with the discussion.

White House officials did not support or object to the high-stakes decision, but acknowledged it as the president’s sovereign choice, these people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive conversation.

In tense Monday meeting, Zaluzhny argued that new recruits were needed to make gains on the battlefield in the face of Russia’s superior firepower and troop strength, said people familiar with the conversation. Ukraine also needed to prepare for personnel losses, which are expected to be comparable to last year’s, he said.

Zelensky pushed back on conscripting so many, in part because Ukraine lacks the money to pay them without significantly raising taxes for its citizens. Such aggressive conscription would also be politically unpopular.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/02/02/zaluzhny-zelensky-white-house/

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He was made of 6 million Ukrainian POWs

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's been a bad 48 hours for Vlad :lol:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BRIDGE DEATH
BRIDGE DEATH
BRIDGE DEATH

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

GLSDB isn't going to cut it for bridge death but military warehouses, airfields, rail yards and vehicle depots are going to be having a very bad time.

BTW Are these also getting that chickenshit "you cannot use these to hit targets inside Russia proper"-clause?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

BRIDGE DEATH
BRIDGE DEATH
BRIDGE DEATH

:hai:

You know what would help to take out the Kerch bridge? Taurus. Alas,

beer_war fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Der Kyhe posted:

GLSDB isn't going to cut it for bridge death but military warehouses, airfields, rail yards and vehicle depots are going to be having a very bad time.

BTW Are these also getting that chickenshit "you cannot use these to hit targets inside Russia proper"-clause?

They don't really have the range to hit stuff deep in Russia regardless.

beer_war posted:

:hai:

You know what would help to take out the Kerch bridge? Taurus. Alas,

fingers crossed for someday soon :(