Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

I'm like 12 comms away from getting my mentor status and it is killing me every time I do a dungeon (perfectly!) and don't get one.

Thanks for all the feedback on Eureka and Blue Mage. I'll check out the videos and guides and discord and go from there.

8 hours later and I'm a level 80 Blue Mage with 40 spells. Picked up everything that you can get from the Overworld and that's been doing me nicely. Hopefully I can find/form some groups tomorrow during the day to get even more abilities.

Mordiceius posted:

With the Tempest method of leveling. You can get BLU to cap in about an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z84Q5s17h_Y
This method ruled. Took me a little more than an hour though (prob 90 minutes) but I also kept dying during my attempts. Eventually got it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

TTBF posted:

8 hours later and I'm a level 80 Blue Mage with 40 spells. Picked up everything that you can get from the Overworld and that's been doing me nicely. Hopefully I can find/form some groups tomorrow during the day to get even more abilities.

On the off chance you don't know this, make the Ram's Voice one of your priority abilities from group content (you can get it either from Cutter's Cry or the ARR relic chimera trial, both of which you can probably solo unsync at this point). Ram's Voice is an AoE freeze, which combines with Ultravibration's "instakill everything frozen" to let you wipe dungeon trash packs, and it's useful for everyone in a BLU dungeon run to have the combo since UV has a long cooldown.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I knew of the combo but I was unaware that I could run the dungeons solo unsynced and still get the powers. I thought it had to be level synced. Thanks for that info.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

TTBF posted:

I knew of the combo but I was unaware that I could run the dungeons solo unsynced and still get the powers. I thought it had to be level synced. Thanks for that info.

Synced gives you a 100% chance to learn. Unsynced is not a guaranteed drop. For some content, running it x amount of times isn't too bad (the ARR primals are trivial and very quick to defeat, though low-droprate, and you have to get them to the right health level to use the blue mage spell). For others, if you're going to solo it you might as well do it synced if the speed of completion isn't much different, just so you can guarantee learning the skill.

Don't be afraid to start a BLU party in dungeon finder, especially for 4-man content, as they tend to fill up pretty quickly. Just make sure you learn Aetheric Mimicry to be a good team player.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So what is the “spam run” dungeon for BLU this tomestone event, Cutter’s?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So I have a question that's only partially weird. Does anyone know of any webpages or collection of words that lists down all the archaic words that FF14 uses, or makes up?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
what, you don't know what LC elmo Mario kart lp means? goated with the sauce?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I just finished maxing BLU and I got all the spells pretty much up to Stormblood solo unsynced without ever running an instance more than 3 times (outside of the primal spells). after that point the learning rate seems to fall off a cliff so I used PF to get the rest of the Trials spells and got the rest of the Dungeon spells solo synced, which isn't too hard once you have a big enough arsenal

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

NachtSieger posted:

So I have a question that's only partially weird. Does anyone know of any webpages or collection of words that lists down all the archaic words that FF14 uses, or makes up?

webster's dictionary

except for the terms actually made up for the game, it's pretty much all actual archaic english because koji fox and his protégé are enormous loving nerds

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Oneiros posted:

webster's dictionary

except for the terms actually made up for the game, it's pretty much all actual archaic english because koji fox and his protégé are enormous loving nerds

levin!!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

every time i've read a bit of dialogue or an alliterative npc name and gone "that is not a real loving word" i have been proven wrong

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah from what I can tell the only ones that are flat out made up are like proper nouns or words that incorporate them, like "Thal's balls" as an expletive or "Lominsan" to describe somebody from Limsa Lominsa.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hey, there are some made up words that aren’t names!

It’s the measurement system. It’s just slightly altered versions of the imperial system.
Inch - ilm
Yard - yalm
Mile - malm

And similarly
Ounce - Onze
Pound - ponze

At least, that’s as far as a quick google showed. Lord help me if this all stems from some weird rear end Shakespeare.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
what about tonze

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

M.c.P posted:

It’s the measurement system. It’s just slightly altered versions of the imperial system.
Inch - ilm
Yard - yalm
Mile - malm

I've mentioned this before, but if you change language to Japanese then these go away. Spells and abilities that had a range of "30y" now say "30m". Yalms and ilms and such are never mentioned. There are of course two possible explanations:

1. A yalm was never a yard. It was always just a meter.
2. If you play the game in English then Eorzea and everything in it is changed to be slightly smaller.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Yeah, well, from what I've heard the japanese translation is just boring and sucks

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The tricky thing is that the archaic language is substantially pseudo-Elizabethan English, so your best bet is really just to be familiar with Shakespeare--this is especially true for Uriangier's nonsense--because the language is so fundamental to the English script, compiling all those little changes would be maddening. I suppose one could use a Shakespearean lexicon but that's going to be mostly stuff irrelevant to FFXIV.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's funny to me that there are still people mad about larboard to this day.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Thundarr posted:

It's funny to me that there are still people mad about larboard to this day.

that one is funny because it takes exactly one demonstration while you go "larboard?" for you to understand what it means

but the 89 trial exists and has the highest abandon rate in the game so i take nothing for granted

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Larboard and Left start with the same letter, and then the other one is the other one. Stern or something.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
bell = hour
sun = day
moon = month

Any others like these? The rest of the time system is the same as real life.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A to the D to the A M Sandler,
Happy's gonna rise up, boom like thunder!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
weeks are called 'sennights', but they're 8 days long.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Posting here just in case anyone else has had an issue getting HTTPS System Error -2146697211 when trying to launch the launcher? I've tried rebooting, reinstalling, flushing DNS, adding to trusted sites - I'm not sure what else to try.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Doomykins posted:

bell = hour
sun = day
moon = month

Star = planet

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

M.c.P posted:

Inch - ilm
Yard - yalm
Mile - malm

And similarly
Ounce - Onze
Pound - ponze

At least, that’s as far as a quick google showed. Lord help me if this all stems from some weird rear end Shakespeare.

Oh yeah I did forget the measurement differences. My bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doomykins posted:

bell = hour
sun = day
moon = month

The bell thing is an anachronism as well. Everyone didn't have personal clocks, so time was kept in a central place and announced with the ringing of bells. Churches still commonly ring bells on the hour even today. Bell terminology is also used on ships at sea.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:siren: NEW PINT! NEW PINT! NEW PINT! NEW PINT! :siren:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyroad,

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The bell thing is an anachronism as well. Everyone didn't have personal clocks, so time was kept in a central place and announced with the ringing of bells. Churches still commonly ring bells on the hour even today. Bell terminology is also used on ships at sea.

Yeah, I vaguely remember hearing it in old media.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doomykins posted:

bell = hour
sun = day
moon = month

The selfsame words

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

aers posted:

spaghetti code is made up

still i like the theory that the housing code was done on the quick and dirty by contractors, as an explanation for why so little was touched about it and every time they make a major change something goes real sideways

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The entire thing building up to a dick joke is :discourse:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BTW, as far as BLU and Ram's Breath goes you can also get it from a 30min Fate in Northern Thanalan. Spawns pretty regularly, soloable as BLU.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Posting here just in case anyone else has had an issue getting HTTPS System Error -2146697211 when trying to launch the launcher? I've tried rebooting, reinstalling, flushing DNS, adding to trusted sites - I'm not sure what else to try.

A friend of mine had this issue. No idea how to fix it, but you can use the third party launcher which worked for them. It's just a launcher by default and won't inject anything.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oneiros posted:

but the 89 trial exists and has the highest abandon rate in the game so i take nothing for granted
Is there actual data on abandon rates? I'd love to see it. But my suspicion on the 89 trial is that, since the game all but yells at you to do it with a trust, a significant portion of the first timers in it are people who literally couldn't manage to complete the trial with trusts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Count Thrashula posted:

If that's the error I'm thinking of then when I've gotten it I hit dead ends trying to fix anything, do something else and the next day it's fine. But "leave it alone and see if it fixes itself" is a deeply unsettling answer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

1stGear posted:

The entire thing building up to a dick joke is :discourse:

I am constantly amazed and baffled by the effort Pint puts into his videos. He's one of the few content creators out there who I think has great comedic timing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Default portrait = no matter how great you played or how nice you were, you're never getting a comm from me :colbert:

if they wanted me to use the portrait system they should make it so it stops breaking every time i tie my shoelace in a different knot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
just logged back in for the return campaign, and upon seeing the messy bags, promptly closed the game. I'm really itching at the idea of selling/deleting everything that's not specifically equipped/gear-setted on my character. its either that or restarting on a new character