Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

mkbhd slobbers all over it of course

I can't stand this guy who sucks off Apple and Tesla constantly, it's so opaque. Yeah he totally doesn't receive anything from making basically ads for those companies regularly and not disclosing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I generally like the guy but yeah he has a massive blindspot when it comes to Tesla.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
"Hey guys here I am reviewing yet another Apple product, by the way I'm completely sucked into and absorbed by Apple's ecosystem that I have been unable to escape. My YouTube success depends on these companies to keep paying for my unnecessarily minimalist lifestyle and biased opinions. But LOOK you can access your $3500 VR headset from your $800 watch with your $4000 laptop sitting in front of you! All through iCloud! Amazing!"

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Vintersorg posted:

Its February 2nd in Manitoba and we have highs of 2°C all week.

gently caress off Elon you piece of poo poo.

not to mention 14 years ago it was -40 by november

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Vintersorg posted:

new tesla 3 doesnt have yokes anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iueGI4CzP-0

turn signals on the wheel as buttons. drive and reverse as swipe motions or buttons by the light

what a joke

Eugh, I accidentally brush the volume control on my 2014 Civic's infotainment LCD (capacitive?) touch display because it's on the left side. It's well designed that way, within easy reach, but sometimes dust or other wear causes it to glitch. I'm really a levers and electrial switches kinda guy, this strikes me as saleable bean-counting.

dopesilly posted:

"Hey guys here I am reviewing yet another Apple product, by the way I'm completely sucked into and absorbed by Apple's ecosystem that I have been unable to escape. My YouTube success depends on these companies to keep paying for my unnecessarily minimalist lifestyle and biased opinions. But LOOK you can access your $3500 VR headset from your $800 watch with your $4000 laptop sitting in front of you! All through iCloud! Amazing!"

I mean hey if you want to proselytize with your life, go for it, but it's not everyone's bag, and it's not where I'd prune my life to. I feel there's some inherent danger in shaping yourself (as with anything) to that kind of marketing career, but it's currently rewarded, so you get a lot of Huxley-ish Sea of Irrelevancy effect.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 2, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did the model 3 ever had the yoke? I thought they only put that on the S. So they just made it purely worse.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

I think you could get it as an option and it was aftermarket swappable, which generated a few headlines where people's steering wheels were falling off

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Vintersorg posted:

turn signals on the wheel as buttons. drive and reverse as swipe motions or buttons by the light

what a joke

Dude should never live this bullshit down

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

dopesilly posted:

hate on, hater

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

what a joke

Theres a reason all normal cars have things like stalks, dials and switches.

It’s because they work.

Friggin tech evangelicals think the auto industry never thought of these things in the past and realized they were dogshit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Friggin tech evangelicals think the auto industry never thought of these things in the past and realized they were dogshit.

Touch screens in general, still upset we lost slide out keyboards on cellphones.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023

TrashMammal posted:

hate on, hater

somebody's iDildo broke huh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Dude should never live this bullshit down

I did this with my street racing car, but I lost it in a race with the East Side Gang.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

shyduck posted:

And there's the problem. The fine is nothing and probably cheaper than having to build and maintain proper waste disposal.

But they pinky swore not to do it again! Maybe next time they get fined 0.002% of revenue instead of 0.001%, that will show them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Quick question. I'm a few pages behind so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but regarding the move of Tesla incorporation to Texas:

Delaware just refused to pay Musk billions of dollars of shareholder money.

Musk is asking those very shareholders to move the company to Texas so that.... Texas won't save the shareholders money by giving Musk that money instead?

Why on earth would any shareholder vote to have all of their money be much more easily taken from them? I absolutely must be missing something here because this is just incredibly stupid.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Quick question. I'm a few pages behind so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but regarding the move of Tesla incorporation to Texas:

Delaware just refused to pay Musk billions of dollars of shareholder money.

Musk is asking those very shareholders to move the company to Texas so that.... Texas won't save the shareholders money by giving Musk that money instead?

Why on earth would any shareholder vote to have all of their money be much more easily taken from them? I absolutely must be missing something here because this is just incredibly stupid.

Shareholders are also incredibly stupid, which is Muk's gamble.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The shareholders gave him the money, it was the courts that told him to gently caress off. At the request of a shareholder but not like a majority of them

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The shareholders seem to be in 2 camps:

1. Institutional investors like Vanguard who've put Tesla in every retirement portfolio

2. Individual assholes who think Elon is Jesus

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

It’s because they work.

Bring back the Edsel’s push button shifter!!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It’s because they work.

It's not just that they work - They are familiar and do not require you to take your eyes from the road to use, tactile sense of what button/control you are touching goes a long way to ensuring people can pay attention to the road.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
The major issue with turn signals being wheel buttons instead of independent stalks is that they turn with the wheel. So when your wheel is turned left you actually need to press the button on the right side to signal left, instead of the normal opposite way, which of course majority of people don't instinctively understand.

I believe Musk planned to eliminate any control over turn signals completely (like he removed the ability to choose forward/reverse gear switch on newer Teslas) so that AI can (poorly) choose it for you however I think there are regulations requiring that for now. The buttons are temporary placeholders that he reluctantly agreed to.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 2, 2024

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'll give some degree of credit to indicators on the wheel

Not as a replacement, but I could see a company trying to revolutionise the UX of "The Car" authentically trying it in a test rig or something, the kind of thing you try just to cross it off. It's less stupid than the iPad dash board, but not by much

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

shyduck posted:

The shareholders seem to be in 2 camps:

1. Institutional investors like Vanguard who've put Tesla in every retirement portfolio

2. Individual assholes who think Elon is Jesus

Yesterday I tried to find if my Vanguard funds hold Tesla stock but I can just only assume they do. :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

The major issue with turn signals being wheel buttons instead of independent stalks is that they turn with the wheel. So when your wheel is turned left you actually need to press the button on the right side to signal left, instead of the normal opposite way, which of course majority of people don't instinctively understand.

This would be less of a problem on a Yolk or something where you aren't moving your hand position. I use game controls at all kinds of weird loving angles and have even had no problem using a switch with joy cons reversed took me under 2 minutes to get the muscle memory going.

What I cannot get my brain to do is in my car, use the loving call buttons if they are on the right hand side upside down because my wheel is turned and I need to pick up the phone... gently caress just rejected the call.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Yesterday I tried to find if my Vanguard funds hold Tesla stock but I can just only assume they do. :(

They do if it's any general/large cap fund, and a crazy % at that, because mutual funds and index funds weigh their holdings based on market cap, which is in the stratosphere for Tesla.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

pixaal posted:

This would be less of a problem on a Yolk or something where you aren't moving your hand position. I use game controls at all kinds of weird loving angles and have even had no problem using a switch with joy cons reversed took me under 2 minutes to get the muscle memory going.

What I cannot get my brain to do is in my car, use the loving call buttons if they are on the right hand side upside down because my wheel is turned and I need to pick up the phone... gently caress just rejected the call.

videogames arent 2 ton machines where life and death can happen.

also again if musk wants to make his toys feel more like airplanes/ships maybe he could put pressure of standardizing car lights and getting cars to have nav lights like boats and planes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It is part of the market, you'd have to construct your own port to not have TSLA or calculate how much TSLA you have as part of the funds then short that much TSLA openly. Really don't worry too much about it the real number to worry about is SPX, which is the major index that TSLA is part of, and if TSLA fails it will be booted. Companies join and leave all the time it's only 500 companies.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

videogames arent 2 ton machines where life and death can happen.

also again if musk wants to make his toys feel more like airplanes/ships maybe he could put pressure of standardizing car lights and getting cars to have nav lights like boats and planes

I guess it's not clear I'm not saying it's a good design choice I'm pointing out it's even worse and why.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

CommieGIR posted:

It's not just that they work - They are familiar and do not require you to take your eyes from the road to use, tactile sense of what button/control you are touching goes a long way to ensuring people can pay attention to the road.

People hate paying attention to the road, though. Give us more distractions, Mr. Billionaire Genius.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Aren't the indicator buttons also capacitive instead of physical?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

dopesilly posted:

Brownlee is a walking billboard which is a shame because he has a great technical understanding of things but does a disservice to his audience with his softball poo poo. Compare to Steve Burke who will send NVidia, AMD, Intel, and LinusTechTips all to the shadow realm in the same YouTube clip.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Brownless is a product demonstrator that likes to think of himself as a reviewer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Three Olives posted:

Brownless is a product demonstrator that likes to think of himself as a reviewer.

I can't imagine how thrilled Apple/Tesla are that the Google Algorithm pays his salary while they benefit for free.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

watching all my favorite reviewers for that sweet dopamine of hit of cheering and jeering for products and brands. a healthy thing to do for sure. here’s a 40 minute video outlining why :chord:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gently caress brownlee the real tech influencers are ogs like John C Dvorak and Leo Laporte

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pixaal posted:

There are a lot of good reasons that a yoke that works well on a track car isn't the best solution for day to day cars.

But I hope we can all agree that yolks are a poor steering input in any environment.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
The company that owns the tank farm around my house dumped a poo poo load of gas into a nearby creek.

Total fine for "discharge"? $250

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

WhyteRyce posted:

gently caress brownlee the real tech influencers are ogs like John C Dvorak and Leo Laporte

leo laporte accidentally leaked the dick pics he sent to the tesla robot

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-cybertruck-s-aero-wheel-covers-are-chewing-up-the-1851218721

Cybertrucks are ruining their own tires within a few thousand miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
LONE KUMS