Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Cheap and low impact? Boy do I have the player for you....

Brian Dumoulin?

Please take him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was reading on CapFriendly that Dowd and Lavi didn't have the best relationship. No idea how real it is, but it sucks if true, because the list of available centers is dwindling fast.

My "not gonna happen" dream was that they trade a 1st + mid-prospect for Frost from the Flyers. Torts seems to hate the kid for some reason and keeps scratching him, and at this point it looks like Torts is gonna be the Flyers coach for at least the next few years. Combine that with people saying the Flyers should be sellers at the deadline, it would be a good way for them to net a 1st rounder without losing any players that they plan on actually using.
Yeah, I think the Avs should be looking at guys like Mittelstadt, Frost and maybe Zegras, and I imagine the Rangers would be in s similar boat. I don't get the point anymore of giving up good assets for an expiring UFA if you are trying to make a playoff push.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

:toot:

Been missing this.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

About time these useless cumstains managed to figure it out

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Simplex posted:

Yeah, I think the Avs should be looking at guys like Mittelstadt, Frost and maybe Zegras, and I imagine the Rangers would be in s similar boat. I don't get the point anymore of giving up good assets for an expiring UFA if you are trying to make a playoff push.

Zegras is weird. Clearly talented and looked like hot poo poo a few years ago but between regression and injuries has also clearly been passed by other players on the Ducks. I'm lead to believe he doesn't do defense at all but I'd guess every team is also thinking if they could just develop him a bit then he could be a talented 2nd line center or so

Or he could be a turnover machine who's offense never makes up for the total lack of defense

e: but I can't imagine the ducks want to let him go for cheap either

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Hard to believe it will have been 12 years between Olympics appearances. I remember getting so excited for the 1998 Olympics, as a kid.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Twin Cinema posted:

Hard to believe it will have been 12 years between Olympics appearances. I remember getting so excited for the 1998 Olympics, as a kid.

when I was growing up the olympics were literally the only time I was able to watch hockey

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

Stars are in a weird position with their prospects where they have like 3 bluechip can't miss types that the team is never going to trade away for a rental and then a bunch of chaff that are unlikely to ever make the NHL as regular players and probably nobody would rate as a major component of a trade. Their NHL roster is likewise either untouchables or overpaid veterans who would only be suitable as add-ons to make the salary balance out. They have Ty Dellandrea and Nils Lundkvist as young marginal players but stocks on both are so low based on their play.

They can probably offer a draft pick or two in a trade but with the prices seemingly what they are i don't know if that gets stuff done. Dallas might get frozen out of making the big splash on the blueline that fans want (Tanev or Chychrun) and may have to settle for some marginal 2nd pairing guy (Which tbh would still be a nice upgrade on Suter or Hakanpaa)

If Suter doesn't play 23 mins a night in the playoffs DeBoer will be sad :(

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Cheap and low impact? Boy do I have the player for you....

Add big and fast and you get

https://x.com/friedgehnic/status/1753494018980282793?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Levitate posted:

Zegras is weird. Clearly talented and looked like hot poo poo a few years ago but between regression and injuries has also clearly been passed by other players on the Ducks. I'm lead to believe he doesn't do defense at all but I'd guess every team is also thinking if they could just develop him a bit then he could be a talented 2nd line center or so

Or he could be a turnover machine who's offense never makes up for the total lack of defense

e: but I can't imagine the ducks want to let him go for cheap either
I think he's pretty overrated, however if you are going to get raked over the coals for a second line center you might as well go for one who has some upside, and is at least somewhat cost-controlled.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Simplex posted:

I think he's pretty overrated, however if you are going to get raked over the coals for a second line center you might as well go for one who has some upside, and is at least somewhat cost-controlled.

I mean he's scored 61 and 65 points before getting injured and dealing with that this year along with the other stuff but yeah I think the point would be to look at him not as a shoe in top flight #1 but a flawed 2C you hope you can hammer some defensive responsibility into and knock out some of the worst turnovers

e: he's still only 22 so it's also completely conceivable he could be a 80 something point player if he stayed healthy and got the opportunity on a good team with good linemates and ran with it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

:lol: hello old friend

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

:lol: hello old friend

this time it'll be different!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PLD got McLellan canned, eh?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how the hell is Boone Jenner an all-star

He was leading the team in goals at the time they named the rosters.

(I don't think he should be there either. Thats the only rationale I saw.)

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
good lord this top 10 ASG fashion article shows just how boring and behind the rest of the leagues (but especially the NBA) the NHL is

https://theathletic.com/5247248/2024/02/02/nhl-style-rankings-all-star-weekend/

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I just can't bring myself to remotely care about hockey players when they're not playing hockey and that includes what they wear. I have no fashion sense either. Please skate fast and put the puck in the net.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1753500903242375439

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

gently caress Corey Perry

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
But if we can somehow see both Corey Perry and Chicago poo poo on, who says no???

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Levitate posted:

I mean he's scored 61 and 65 points before getting injured and dealing with that this year along with the other stuff but yeah I think the point would be to look at him not as a shoe in top flight #1 but a flawed 2C you hope you can hammer some defensive responsibility into and knock out some of the worst turnovers

e: he's still only 22 so it's also completely conceivable he could be a 80 something point player if he stayed healthy and got the opportunity on a good team with good linemates and ran with it

Yea thats how I see it too. Zegras is the only player from his draft class with multiple 60+ point years although to be fair, Jack Hughes would be there already too if it wasn't for injuries. He's in his 4th season already too. He's probably not a 1C like people thought he might be, but he's only 22, and he's very talented. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see people say they think he's overrated and wouldn't want him on their team. It's not like he's even that expensive, his upcoming contract is $5.75M/yr through 2026, and he'll still be a RFA at the end.

Also I don't understand the obsession with "he doesn't play defense" that lots of NHL fans seem to have. Who loving cares? He puts the puck in the net more than like 75% of NHLers. Let the rest of the team play defense.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

He will land somewhere and continue to rip the sickest breakaways you’ve ever seen and then launch the puck 20 ft up into the netting. Can’t teach pedigree and being tall!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/PuckReportNHL/status/1753497713939824717

always gobsmacked at gary's ability to say the wrong thing, every time

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
"we want people to know our game is inclusive, welcoming, and safe.... but so help me god if you put rainbow tape on your stick"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/1753501825754390943

Omaha and Cincinnati, eh?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Misanthrope posted:

"we want people to know our game is inclusive, welcoming, and safe.... but so help me god if you put rainbow tape on your stick"

"Also please ignore all that Chicago stuff. And Pittsburgh stuff."

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fans are also saying they love the virtual board ads more than ever and are looking forward to more vibrant and dynamic animations to bring them to life.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
drat, only a few hours after the Olympics announcement and someone has already staked out the worst possible version of a team Canada roster: https://thehockeywriters.com/canada-projected-roster-olympics-2026/

I'm no expert, but I know any presumptive favourite team needs Pierre-Luc Dubois and Logan Thompson on it, and DEFINITELY needs Chychrun in the top 4.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Larry Cum Free posted:

drat, only a few hours after the Olympics announcement and someone has already staked out the worst possible version of a team Canada roster: https://thehockeywriters.com/canada-projected-roster-olympics-2026/

I'm no expert, but I know any presumptive favourite team needs Pierre-Luc Dubois and Logan Thompson on it, and DEFINITELY needs Chychrun in the top 4.

Ya that's a pretty bad roster but I dunno who else you slot in there for some of the slots. By 2026 some of the guys who would definitely be on the team at forward will probably be too old. Marchand would be 37, Stamkos 36, Crosby 38, etc. Crosby will definitely still be on the team though. Similarly, Doughty and Pietrangelo probably age out too. I'd probably have Noah Dobson somewhere on the blue line though.

Hard to fault them for Logan Thompson though. Canada has fuckin nothing in the pipeline at net. Maybe like, Adin Hill, Connor Ingram, and Stuart Skinner is better? Jordan Binnington? It's a real trash heap.

Canada is probably still the team to beat but I think the US will have better defense and they'll definitely have better goaltending.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

corn on the cop posted:

https://twitter.com/PuckReportNHL/status/1753497713939824717

always gobsmacked at gary's ability to say the wrong thing, every time

he is such a knobend

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
the only good thing that Gary said was that he doesn’t see those 5 playing the NHL until their court case is finished, so at least they are completely out of the league for a few years at least, if not forever

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

You just know that Bettman’s going to be one of those miserable old liches that sticks around far too long making GBS threads up the world while good people die young. Dude’s going to live to 99 still lying to journalist’s faces with his smarmy-rear end expression permanently stuck on

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya that's a pretty bad roster but I dunno who else you slot in there for some of the slots. By 2026 some of the guys who would definitely be on the team at forward will probably be too old. Marchand would be 37, Stamkos 36, Crosby 38, etc. Crosby will definitely still be on the team though. Similarly, Doughty and Pietrangelo probably age out too. I'd probably have Noah Dobson somewhere on the blue line though.

Hard to fault them for Logan Thompson though. Canada has fuckin nothing in the pipeline at net. Maybe like, Adin Hill, Connor Ingram, and Stuart Skinner is better? Jordan Binnington? It's a real trash heap.

Canada is probably still the team to beat but I think the US will have better defense and they'll definitely have better goaltending.

Canada’s goalie situation is so dire. I feel like it’ll be a position that changes drastically in the next few years, just because I expect a lot of fluctuation in terms of performance.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Weren't the NHL players allowed to take place in Winter Olympics that happened in China and then COVID hit?
Anyway about time these idiots allowed the best players in the world to take part in an international tournament that people actually cared about (unlike their failed world Cup)

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

The Olympic announcement is so weird to me, I feel like the NHL has pushed hard over the past decade to never go back to them and instead do their own thing.

Then just randomly one day Bettman is like "hell yea let's go to the next 2"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

Canada’s goalie situation is so dire. I feel like it’ll be a position that changes drastically in the next few years, just because I expect a lot of fluctuation in terms of performance.

For sure, but I don't know that there's even anyone really in the pipeline for them. Maybe Devon Levi I guess? Joel Hofer? Just doesn't seem like a ton of promise.

I'm pretty sure the US could roll out 4 goalies who'd be the starter for Canada (Hellebuyck, Oettinger, Demko, Swayman)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Carver posted:

The Olympic announcement is so weird to me, I feel like the NHL has pushed hard over the past decade to never go back to them and instead do their own thing.

Canadian talking heads ask about the Olympics all the time and there have been suggestions for the last year or so that a deal was close, so this isn't really out of left field if you've been paying attention (which to be clear, you should not, but sometimes I'm too lazy to get up and do something else during the intermission).

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
"taken from us far too early" rear end photo. seriously i woke up and i thought he was dead (in the real sense, not the employment sense)

https://x.com/LAKings/status/1753458963847229681?s=20

Also my early picks to lock in for betting for the 2026 Olympics

Gold - Sweden
Silver - USA
Bronze - Finland

Canada as a team contrats wet beriberi and is unable to skate with deformed legs and ballsacks, doesn't medal. They wouldn't have with that goaltending, anways.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Carver posted:

I’m surprised they announced 2030 considering the labor agreement runs through the 2026 season. I figured they’d give one year and then hold it over the players heads for 2030 to squeeze more money from them.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bettman is a weasel, but he also more or less said that the four NHL players that are being charged won't be in the NHL until the legal process is resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

For sure, but I don't know that there's even anyone really in the pipeline for them. Maybe Devon Levi I guess? Joel Hofer? Just doesn't seem like a ton of promise.

I'm pretty sure the US could roll out 4 goalies who'd be the starter for Canada (Hellebuyck, Oettinger, Demko, Swayman)

You are right, but I meant that there may be guys we aren’t thinking about that just appear out of nowhere. Admin Hill feels like a name that’s only recently been appearing, because he’s never played that many games.

Basically, I’m saying is the starter will be Chris Dreidger.