Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We're visiting my father-in-law, trying to discuss my daughter's snacks without tipping her off so she doesn't immediately demand them, and explaining the concept to FIL's wife who is Romanian and so hadn't heard of it

The Romanian equivalent involves inserting a rhyming "p-" sound after every vowel eg "snapacks"

selec posted:

it’s ack-snays

THANK you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

loquacius posted:

We're visiting my father-in-law, trying to discuss my daughter's snacks without tipping her off so she doesn't immediately demand them, and explaining the concept to FIL's wife who is Romanian and so hadn't heard of it

The Romanian equivalent involves inserting a rhyming "p-" sound after every vowel eg "snapacks"

THANK you

in Turkish they use "bird language." you add a -g<previous vowel> sound to every syllable except the last. so "seni seviyorum" becomes "segenigi segevigiyogorum". seems similar to the Romanian one conceptually. the Ottoman yoke?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mawarannahr posted:

in Turkish they use "bird language."

lol...

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

carl weathers is dead

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lumpentroll posted:

carl weathers is dead

rip. time to watch Predator.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lumpentroll posted:

carl weathers is dead

rip

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anybody having a beautiful day?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lpzie posted:

just got an iced chai and birria tacos for lunch which is pretty cool

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lpzie posted:

Yes, actually. Feels like fall this week, where the temperature is merely brisk instead of freezing. My kids had a playdate at another parents house and that got them all tuckered out, so I'm looking at a peaceful afternoon.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

decent day here. got my work meetings done, one more call later with tech support and some tasks on my to-do to clear out. took a bunch of clothes and stuff to the MCC store to donate, it’s 45 and cloudy and I’ll take it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Just had an inch of rain yesterday and overnight, which we needed. Now it's looking like clearing up, just in time to get some work done. Perfect weather, not too hot.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The weekend calls for sun and mid 50a and I'm here for it. I may try to go mountain biking.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

in Turkish they use "bird language." you add a -g<previous vowel> sound to every syllable except the last. so "seni seviyorum" becomes "segenigi segevigiyogorum". seems similar to the Romanian one conceptually. the Ottoman yoke?

ahhh, the Ottoman yolk...

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lumpentroll posted:

is paulie shore dead

not only is he not dead, neither his career: he's playing richard simmons in a new biopic, which imo is an inspired casting choice.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lumpentroll posted:

is paulie shore dead

he wnats to die

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Romanians... hmm

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Dokapon Findom posted:

Romanians... hmm

oh?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Only guy from Romania I've ever met we almost ended up in fisticuffs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Only guy from Romania I've ever met we almost ended up in fisticuffs.

Well? Let's hear why

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Well? Let's hear why

Kept on talking to him in bird language

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Well? Let's hear why

heated conversation about the greatest romanian of all time being dracula or Nicolae Ceaușescu

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

well it's obviously dracula. without dracula they'da gotten conquered by the ottomans and there wouldn't be all the romanian culture we knoww and love

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

other countries just wish one of the universal monsters was foundational to their cultural myths
there isn't a frankensteinvania, though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like that dracula is a folk hero there

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It really does own that their national hero's two names are "Dracula" and "Vlad the Impaler"

Like, Dracula might actually be the less cool of those names

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Biography, Dracula, Death, & Facts

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
there's a fun docudrama about vlad and his war with mehmed II on netflix

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

any bad rumors about dracula were simply propaganda from the holy roman empire aka the first reich, so that's basically a bunch of nazi lies

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

any bad rumors about dracula were simply propaganda from the holy roman empire aka the first reich, so that's basically a bunch of nazi lies

hundreds of years of hapsburg inbreeding to produce a more perfect hitler

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
netflix just released a docudrama about Alexander. I'll watch it and it'll probably be fun but facile like all the others

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Buck Wildman posted:

netflix just released a docudrama about Alexander. I'll watch it and it'll probably be fun but facile like all the others

its in the same style as the other netflix historical docudramas where there will be like a gay sex scene and then a smash cut to a 70 year old history professor giving you the 101 version of the story

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

whoa

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation

Al! posted:

its in the same style as the other netflix historical docudramas where there will be like a gay sex scene and then a smash cut to a 70 year old history professor giving you the 101 version of the story

love that stuff. gimme the gay lowdown fat man

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Buck Wildman posted:

love that stuff. gimme the gay lowdown fat man

yeah big fan of those here too, theyre the kind of show the history channel no longer makes. just round up every beach bum in melbourne and throw them in a toga

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

almost all royalty are closely related, they've only got a few pools of people to draw from

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
gonna learn about olive uses no woman was meant to know

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

hm, charles should stache it up

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

FirstnameLastname posted:

almost all royalty are closely related, they've only got a few pools of people to draw from

that's cool. I want Chuck to show off his vampire fangs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

aw frig aw dang it posted:

that's cool. I want Chuck to show off his vampire fangs

he's a thinblood so his only vampiric power is Tampon Form