Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

mystes posted:

You are correct that the show is calling attention to the contrast of how Annie's death is handled, but nobody in this thread has said they aren't interested in Annie's death so it is incredibly disingenuous of you to compare these two things.

On the other hand, your original post literally ignored Annie's death in the interest of presenting a false dichotomy between being interested in the mystery and being interested in the hardships of indigenous people.

:ok:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Show dumb, so what

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Is the mystery of the white scientists actually receiving more attention than that of the indigenous woman's death? I haven't noticed.

Maybe because they're related. And there is the fact that the latter is a cold case who seems to be important to only one police officer as opposed to what is happening in the moment. And it pertains to one victim rather than at least five. Even if it weren't for that I wouldn't have thought there's a disparity.

What the show didn't do is call attention to the MMIW tragedy at large. Because it's not just one victim when seen through that lens.

e: Did it do so while I wasn't paying attention?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
And also. The deaths of the scientists would absolutely be more interesting to people because they’re all mangled into a weird frozen sculpture. That’s not just some every day occurrence. But you wouldn’t know that with how the characters on the show act.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think actually part of the problem is that I don't think the death of the scientists is even that interesting.

They died in a pretty weird way but it's hard to even care that much about them, because they're just some random wacky people we saw for two seconds at the beginning of the show who have zero connection to any of the other characters, generally seemed kind of obnoxious, and may very well have gotten themselves killed by doing something stupid.

Whereas at least Annie has people who cared about her and there may have been some sort of coverup, which makes her mystery more compelling/interesting.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
That's the problem I have with a lot of mystery shows that want you to actually care about the characters and not focus on the mystery. They make the mystery too attractive and then they keep adding to it only to tell you in the end that you were dumb to care about it.

Sorry show, I was wrong to be interested in your 5 frozen naked scientists who all died screaming and one had a fresh tattoo on his forehead, I'll pay more attention to how your characters are mean to each other instead

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
:laffo:

If just the scientist part happened IRL tomorrow, the world would be in a giant loving frenzy about it for who knows how long. To say that the scientists dying in the seemingly hosed up way they did without explanation is interesting as gently caress lmao.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The_Rob posted:

And also. The deaths of the scientists would absolutely be more interesting to people because they’re all mangled into a weird frozen sculpture. That’s not just some every day occurrence. But you wouldn’t know that with how the characters on the show act.

I've pointed this out but I am having a hard time believing that even grizzled cops, even those that would have been hired & trained by Hank 'The rear end in a top hat' Prior, who aside from being cops would have grown up in an Alaskan mining town, would play around and take selfies with frozen bodies. Even as a defence mechanism.

Have you ever seen how people behave when exposed to so much as a compound fracture?

I don't think I'd be phased but that's because we start out not quite right and school takes away the last vestiges of normality. If anyone other than a doctor, nurse, or paramedic could function around that scene... well I just don't buy it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Sickening posted:

If just the scientist part happened IRL tomorrow, the world would be in a giant loving frenzy about it for who knows how long. To say that the scientists dying in the seemingly hosed up way they did without explanation is interesting as gently caress lmao.

Yeah it's interesting that this show is airing at the same time when those 3 men froze to death in Kansas City. The amount of coverage of that has been huge but I guess in the show nobody cares about a similar event.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sickening posted:

In real life it would just be "oh hey some crazy scientists killed themselves in a dumb way because of paradoxical undressing from hypothermia" and 99% of people would move on, but if people found out they were allegedly researching some ancient microorganism there would also be lots of dumb conspiracy theories about it forever

Deadite posted:

Yeah it's interesting that this show is airing at the same time when those 3 men froze to death in Kansas City. The amount of coverage of that has been huge but I guess in the show nobody cares about a similar event.
I haven't even heard about that but it's probably bigger news in Kansas City

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mystes posted:

In real life it would just be "oh hey some crazy scientists killed themselves in a dumb way because of paradoxical undressing from hypothermia" and 99% of people would move on, but if people found out they were allegedly researching some ancient microorganism there would also be lots of dumb conspiracy theories about it forever

I totally disagree and I think you are off your rocker.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

mystes posted:

It's been in the national news, and there are updates on it frequently

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/26/us/kansas-city-fans-deaths-freeze-cec/index.html

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In think the season is extremely mid to ok right now but with the short season a lot of the overall result is going to hinge on how it wraps up.

It does sort of feel like parts of the show with all the background easter eggs is leaning more on LOST mystery boxing and Marvel youtube fan “10 THINGS YOU MISSED IN EPISODE 2” methods of engagement moreso than just having a good, clean story with fascinating character development like S1.

Personally I’m enjoying the return to feeling like a Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green campaign though.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 2, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

weekly font posted:

In think the season is extremely mid to ok right now but with the short season a lot of the overall result is going to hinge on how it wraps up.

It does sort of feel like parts of the show with all the background easter eggs is leaning more on LOST mystery boxing and Marvel youtube fan “10 THINGS YOU MISSED IN EPISODE 2” methods of engagement moreso than just having a good, clean story with fascinating character development like S1.

Yes. Part of what made S1 so great is that there is no mystery box, there are no stupid theories encouraged by the showrunners, there is just the story. People tried to come up with some regarding Marty's daughters and father in law and thankfully that was nonsense - can't blame viewers though because we are trained to expect mystery box bullshit in TV now. The resolution of the whodunnit, and the false resolution too, all make great sense and feed back into the major theme of the show.

Hopefully the same will happen with this one, I just want a satisfying resolution that doesn't feel out of left field.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lol

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving bored you are going to hatewatch the entire season.
Well it's only 6 episodes and I've already watched 3 of them, so not a big ask.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Yes. Part of what made S1 so great is that there is no mystery box, there are no stupid theories encouraged by the showrunners, there is just the story. People tried to come up with some regarding Marty's daughters and father in law and thankfully that was nonsense - can't blame viewers though because we are trained to expect mystery box bullshit in TV now. The resolution of the whodunnit, and the false resolution too, all make great sense and feed back into the major theme of the show.

Hopefully the same will happen with this one, I just want a satisfying resolution that doesn't feel out of left field.

Season 1 was an endless stream of stupid theories. Maybe they werent encouraged by the showrunners but the season 1 thread is right there.

The whodunnit was a random law mower guy who had 30 seconds of screen time before the final episode.

Half the thread is "why show not season 1?" Season 1 was 10 loving years ago, overrated by this board and the bookend to two other seasons of meh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Season 3 was good actually, haters vacate.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I agree that season 3 was good. The ending was a little too sappy for my taste, but I enjoyed the ride.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Despera posted:

Season 1 was an endless stream of stupid theories. Maybe they werent encouraged by the showrunners but the season 1 thread is right there.

The whodunnit was a random law mower guy who had 30 seconds of screen time before the final episode.

Half the thread is "why show not season 1?" Season 1 was 10 loving years ago, overrated by this board and the bookend to two other seasons of meh.

One of the season 4 writers has entered the chat

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mordja posted:

Season 3 was good actually, haters vacate.

Season 2 was good too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

S3 ends on probably the best shot of the entire series.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This season is fine. The reason it is not better is because it is too tropey. Cop fights superiors over jurisdiciton. Another cop fights spouse over dedication to the job. The setting may be different from other cop shows but is also, in its way, well traveled territory. The "innovation," so far, is the gender swap. The sexually aggressive cops who defy authority and fight for jurisdiction are women and the boss they fight against is a man. Which is fine, but not great. If not for the true detective brand, most people would have enjoyed it like the dozens of police procedurals that show up, capture people's imaginations for 2 months, and the fall off people's minds.

I do think that the true detective brand hurts the reception, though. If people thought of this show as "the TV show from the woman who did the magic realism horror movie" I think people would be a lot more willing to go along with the supernatural than when people think of "season 4 of the show that constantly suggested supernatural/demonic stuff before showing that it was all grounded in reality."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Agreed. It's both good on it's own and especially good after rummaging around this dude's psychology for the length of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LWwhtfXpY

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Despera posted:

Season 1 was 10 loving years ago, overrated by this board and the bookend to two other seasons of meh.

If by this board you mean the entire internet then sure I guess but also, gently caress off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lampsacus posted:

Agreed. It's both good on it's own and especially good after rummaging around this dude's psychology for the length of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LWwhtfXpY

Why

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have zero love for season 2 and the writing in season 3 was loving bananas awful but it was carried by Mahershala, and so far no one in Night Country is able to pull that weight, even Jodie Foster. Unless it gets dramatically worse I think it'll end up being maybe a little above average for this series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

What really galls me about this, aside from someone having to compromise the story she wants to tell, is that from hbo’s point of view, they were right to make her put that poo poo in there because it has been driving that kind of superficial marvel franchise attention.

Hbo, hire me to do season five. It’s called True Detectives. I think we can get Taylor Kitsch back.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Quavik seems to be the only dude in Ennis who practices self-care. A whole town full of miserable fuckers, and every time we see Quavik he's doin something nice for himself. It's important to take personal time for ice fishing and pursue your hobbies!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The town has a month without sunlight, poisoned water and basically functions as a for profit gulag. It would be surprising if they weren't all miserable.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, the season was good / ok but that ending shot is loving haunting. One of those moments that retroactively makes the whole thing better.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I think the spiral shape is for this timeline the last white walker. Which is the Night Queen.

In the olden times the swirls had 6-8 tails for all the white walkers existing. But since there's only one left it's just a single swirl.

The Night Queen is trying to make some White Walkers and figured a dudesicle would do a bunch at once.

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
THAT'S the season 1 people were saying the show was referencing

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

I AM GRANDO posted:

What really galls me about this, aside from someone having to compromise the story she wants to tell, is that from hbo’s point of view, they were right to make her put that poo poo in there because it has been driving that kind of superficial marvel franchise attention.

Hbo, hire me to do season five. It’s called True Detectives. I think we can get Taylor Kitsch back.

Has she said she had to compromise the story she wanted to tell?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

Has she said she had to compromise the story she wanted to tell?

No, but she's been sticking to her talking points so aggressively that I find it hard not to see some influence going on.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
An interesting episode, but the ending was a bit silly, except in the context that they set up she had family delusions. I guess it’s better in that context.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 3, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, but she's been sticking to her talking points so aggressively that I find it hard not to see some influence going on.

I mean. Director who explained away the posters as an in joke about what if you asked a 14 year old to choose them so of course they'd use ChatGPT and the AI would get it wrong? Or something like that.

I don't know how much I care that she did or did not get to have her full artistic vision come through.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Freaquency posted:

HBO decided to shoehorn this into an existing IP that people already have very specific expectations for.

People might have the wrong expectations though, considering all the three previous seasons have been very distinct from each other.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

People might have the wrong expectations though, considering all the three previous seasons have been very distinct from each other.

In terms of story, sure.

But season 1 and 3, the most high profile ones, both hinted at something ritualistic and had the main character see ghosts/weird poo poo. And in both cases it turned out that Marty and Hays had their own forms of brain damage to explain them seeing things and it was all pretty realistic and grounded.

So that inevitably sets up the expectations for this season.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

Quavik seems to be the only dude in Ennis who practices self-care. A whole town full of miserable fuckers, and every time we see Quavik he's doin something nice for himself. It's important to take personal time for ice fishing and pursue your hobbies!

Russ needed a good bath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

joepinetree posted:

In terms of story, sure.

But season 1 and 3, the most high profile ones, both hinted at something ritualistic and had the main character see ghosts/weird poo poo. And in both cases it turned out that Marty and Hays had their own forms of brain damage to explain them seeing things and it was all pretty realistic and grounded.

So that inevitably sets up the expectations for this season.

I'm not really a fan of how this season is turning out either, but Navarro also has her own form of brain damage because we're assuming there's some genetic component of her mother's mental illness. Which is probably why that lady told her not to confuse spiritualism and mental illness.