Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: hot cocoa on the couch)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just learned a counterintuitive lesson, which was: When it's relatively warm out (38F), the basketball gets colder much faster than when it's really cold (say like 22F). Because, when the ball touches snow when it's warm, the snow sticks to the ball. And it really sticks, hard to get it all off. A thin sheet of ice/slush is left behind, which melts, making the ball wet. And cold. Conversely, when it's very cold and the ball touches snow, nothing sticks. The ball stays dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sounds like it's time to start playing Shovelball

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

redshirt posted:

I just learned a counterintuitive lesson, which was: When it's relatively warm out (38F), the basketball gets colder much faster than when it's really cold (say like 22F). Because, when the ball touches snow when it's warm, the snow sticks to the ball. And it really sticks, hard to get it all off. A thin sheet of ice/slush is left behind, which melts, making the ball wet. And cold. Conversely, when it's very cold and the ball touches snow, nothing sticks. The ball stays dry.

Thank you for this information on playing with balls

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I start my new job next week and I'm excited to take part in Friday Culture again

Congrats! Are you overall excited? Or just ready to experience the lows of Monday and the highs of Friday again?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm kind of excited but I'm also starting school full-time next month and I know I have like 3+ years of having absolutely no free time ahead of me

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

I'm kind of excited but I'm also starting school full-time next month and I know I have like 3+ years of having absolutely no free time ahead of me

my wife does full time school and full time job and we have two kids

i mostly got two full time jobs to even out the suffering

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Maybe just stop driving and take public transportation instead where you can watch vids and tiktoks to your heart's content without endangering others or destroying the planet OP

Do tell about your experiences with this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Almost quitting time

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Navin Johnson posted:

Do tell about your experiences with this.

It rules I've been doing it for almost 20 years. My commute is longer than most peoples' it's about 30 mins to an hour each way at most jobs but that's an hour before work and an hour after work where I just get to sit and listen to music, read, watch lectures, write, draw, etc. without worrying about driving. It's mostly the same stuff I'd be doing at home anyway and without all the distractions so I can be more productive. So I usually get that post-work decompression out of my system before I'm even home. Overall a pretty pleasant experience.

Would rather not commute at all, or have a short 15-20min walk, but if you gotta, that's the way to do it IMO, nothing is worse than driving. Plus walking to bus/train stops helps keep me in shape without having to have dedicated exercise time. Also saves a whooooole lot of money over driving and I never have to worry about things like parking.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 2, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Everyone I know who drives to work gets really angry and upset during their drive meanwhile I'm just in a zenlike state already relaxing and enjoying leisure activities 5mins after I step out the door.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
while i like the idea i do not have public transport that would get me to my job and cannot afford to live close enough to even make that work. i get that you are happy that you're doing a good thing but implying that people are willfully destroying the world while just trying to survive doesn't accomplish what you think you're trying to accomplish. i like you as a poster deep dish but you're statement comes off a little... ya know...

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It was intended as good natured sarcastic ribbing not a serious condemnation or driving :shobon:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

It was intended as good natured sarcastic ribbing not a serious condemnation or driving :shobon:

gotcha, we're still friends

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

gently caress Cars is one of my posting brands but seriously everyone gotta do what they can to live I don't fault anyone for that

Unless you drive a SUV!!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
and ya i miss having buses and trains readily available, i too enjoyed listening to tunes and reading over driving, especially when it's lovely and icy out

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

gently caress Cars is one of my posting brands but seriously everyone gotta do what they can to live I don't fault anyone for that

Unless you drive a SUV!!

let's also include the ludicrously oversized pickup trucks with massively overpowered headlights

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i drive an suv

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm actually partially blind and can't drive because of it, and it does suck having where I live dictated by my access to things on public transportation. I couldn't imagine not living in a big city because of it. And sometimes it really sucks in inclement weather and I have to pay huge uber/lyft fees just to get home. But the upside is no car/insurance payments or worrying about gas prices and etc. And stealing the moral high ground by pretending I'm saving the world.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SUVs are a nice quality of life upgrade if you have kids tbh

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i bought mine for offroad reconnaissance and towing my rally cars and i have no need for it any longer. it's a 4runner so it's a monster in the snow but im thinking to sell and buy a volvo 7xx turbo wagon or perhaps saab 900 or something along those lines. maybe a late 80s/early 90s accord. for the family car. keep my rx7 for my summer car for now. and mayhaps become a bike commuter guy

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Pretty nice for an afternoon in February.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I drive a CUV

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I lived the dream for 7 years. No car, living in Boston, had about a 3 mile walk to work and it was a real nice walk. Or a bus right outside my door, or subway if I chose.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

the perfect friday

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

this morning my 12 minute commute was under 35 minutes for the first time this year. nearly every day i pass crashed cars both morning and afternoon. loving hate this poo poo

Stop crashing into people jeezus!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Havin bourbon and tequila, will have cheesy bread, wings and jojos in a bit. Thinkin bout a movie to watch.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Stop crashing into people jeezus!

get his rear end

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

how many beers are you gonna do?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

weather is awfully nice nice today, but the river is looking kind of crazy

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I had to slam on the brakes hard today because some stupid pos decided to switch lanes from a backed up one at a red light to the clear lane I was driving thru without looking at all. Loud rear end screech, all the poo poo in my car hit the front. Mfer coulda hurt my cat!!!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gently caress cars

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

AARD VARKMAN posted:

gently caress cars

i saw a documentary about that once. it was weird as hell

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

AARD VARKMAN posted:

gently caress cars

Hell yeah!

Unless I'm in the mountains and no one else is around then gently caress yeah cars!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i bought mine for offroad reconnaissance and towing my rally cars and i have no need for it any longer. it's a 4runner so it's a monster in the snow but im thinking to sell and buy a volvo 7xx turbo wagon or perhaps saab 900 or something along those lines. maybe a late 80s/early 90s accord. for the family car. keep my rx7 for my summer car for now. and mayhaps become a bike commuter guy

How many drat cars do you have . Is this some sort of tricky math puzzle.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hollismason posted:

believe it or not he's got six cars in a twelve car garage

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ya ever cook pizza in a frying pan? Is this a common thing?

It really makes for a great crust.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
when i've seen people bake pan pizzas, they put the pan in the oven, not on the range

i guess if it's hot enough it should work though?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I really love driving but then I don't have public transportation in the woods. I have my project car with a good stereo so I can blast music driving along old farm roads. Yes that is a Jurassic Park sticker; the neighbor that pretty much adopted me since my dad sucks did that. He knows I love dinosaurs.

Sadly I carpooled today, but it was also in a project Beetle that got saved from the junkyard and is rather pleasant.

In conclusion gently caress city commutes, the country is much nicer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hollismason posted:

4 + a motorcycle but looking to downsize to just 2 cars (family + summer toy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

Ya ever cook pizza in a frying pan? Is this a common thing?

It really makes for a great crust.

frying up leftover pizza cheese side down is a revelation