Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"
Managed to get through the all hero challenge last night. Guess what you get?
Just ticks back over to 'no heroes completed your next hero is'.
Not even a congrats screen.
Looking at the trophy screen it ranks up at once round then at 5!? Rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Grave Centipede posted:

Managed to get through the all hero challenge last night. Guess what you get?
Just ticks back over to 'no heroes completed your next hero is'.
Not even a congrats screen.
Looking at the trophy screen it ranks up at once round then at 5!? Rounds.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dota2_gamepedia/images/4/4b/Vo_announcer_dlc_gaben_killing_spree_gaben_ann_kill_followup_38.mp3

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just came off a P5 NP Ranked game;. I took all their runes, after each I all chatted "got your rune" is that BM?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
It's not, it's educational. It's like a friendly reminder to the void that he should perhaps consider a BKB. (and watch as his team starts co-flaming him)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
teaching them to be aware of rune timers

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Anytime I point anything out to anyone I am literally Luke Wilson in Idiocracy and my entire team turns on me and throws me into jail, no matter how polite I am.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
dota pulled me back in and I calibrated ~2k mmr after not playing the game for a few years.

I'm having a lot of fun, but this bracket can get super frustrating sometimes. It's high enough that people have thousands of games, but low enough that the games are a complete crap shoot as to if any of your lanes stomp or utterly collapse, many times in the drafting phase.

In my last 10 games (9 losses) I've had on my team:
Pos 5 Zeus
Pos 4 QoP AND Pos 2 Dazzle
Pos 2 Lifestealer
Pos 4 Viper
Pos 5 Mirana
Pos 4 Centaur
Pos 1 Tide

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nothing especially wrong with Dazzle on 2 or Mirana on 5, I'd say. Hell, I play QoP on 4 myself.

Picks rarely make or break a game on their own, especially in lower MMR.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm double your MMR and you'll see all those picks here too

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You know what sucks even worse than trying to kill a Smurf? Trying to kill a Smurf that has some 2k-friendly pocket support like Treant or Venge, which seems to happen a whole lot even in solo queue. The support doesn’t even have to be good, they just have to do their 1 job of covering for any minor mistake by 25/0 OD.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I find unranked to be the complete opposite of my expectations. People ward, play their roles, and are much less likely to tilt or quiet quit.

Pudges land dope rear end hooks

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

BabelFish posted:

dota pulled me back in and I calibrated ~2k mmr after not playing the game for a few years.

I'm having a lot of fun, but this bracket can get super frustrating sometimes. It's high enough that people have thousands of games, but low enough that the games are a complete crap shoot as to if any of your lanes stomp or utterly collapse, many times in the drafting phase.

In my last 10 games (9 losses) I've had on my team:
Pos 5 Zeus
Pos 4 QoP AND Pos 2 Dazzle
Pos 2 Lifestealer
Pos 4 Viper
Pos 5 Mirana
Pos 4 Centaur
Pos 1 Tide

Viper is also strong rn and can do fine at 4 imo.

TOOT BOOT posted:

You know what sucks even worse than trying to kill a Smurf? Trying to kill a Smurf that has some 2k-friendly pocket support like Treant or Venge, which seems to happen a whole lot even in solo queue. The support doesn’t even have to be good, they just have to do their 1 job of covering for any minor mistake by 25/0 OD.

People are often smurfing to play with a friend whose mmr is too far below their main.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was against a Smurf bb with a pocket Pugna just constantly filling his rear end with hp points and it was a nightmare

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

People are often smurfing to play with a friend whose mmr is too far below their main.

I only play solo queue so I assume they’re just saying “I’m a Smurf, pick Venge/Pugna/Tree/whatever and keep me alive and it’ll be free MMR”

Smurfs usually win regardless but when they have someone focused on saving them you’re lucky to kill them once or twice no matter how long the game lasts.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

Nothing especially wrong with Dazzle on 2 or Mirana on 5, I'd say. Hell, I play QoP on 4 myself.

Picks rarely make or break a game on their own, especially in lower MMR.

Is QoP 4 an actual thing? it feels like she suffers from a similar problem to viper 4, that she really wants levels to have an impact after the first 8 or so minutes.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 4, 2024

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I do think they need to show grouped players and proper ranks (not whatever the weird role projection rank is) on the picking phase so you can prepare for smurfs better, like I get it, the legend 3 support grouped with the divine mid in an ancient bracket game is technically balanced but the reality is it's a huge advantage and the support player isn't going to drag the team down significantly enough to make up for it, and the fact that you only find that out once all the roles/picks are done sucks

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BabelFish posted:

Is QoP 4 an actual thing? it feels like she suffers from a similar problem to viper 4, that she really wants levels to have an impact after the first 8 or so minutes.
No idea if it is "an actual thing", I just like playing her and dislike lasthitting. That being said, she has a decent damage output even without gold and Blink's extra range for support items can make for pretty sick plays.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 4, 2024

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

it's the classic I want to play a fun hero and if my offlaner dies a couple of times while I gently caress around who cares

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

QoP 4 seems fine. Trade extremely well with dagger and very mobile to help mid with runes. Should be able to keep a 3 in lane alive

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

it's the classic I want to play a fun hero and if my offlaner dies a couple of times while I gently caress around who cares
Exactly.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My tolerance for QoP support scales directly with whether or not they actually buy support items

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

QoP 4 is one of those things that when they buy a couple support items, the game goes well and eventually they're marauding in the enemy jungle everything is cool, but when you start falling behind it's not fun at all

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

BabelFish posted:

no, it's really bad objectively speaking. but anything can work at most MMRs

the most oddball good pos4 picks right now are probably doom and batrider

emdash fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 4, 2024

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
I saw a lot of qop4 a couple patches back but haven't seen it in a while. Had a pos 3 qop the other day, we had all int/ago heroes and no one to frontline pushes but somehow pulled out the win

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
And in this episode of "things pubbies say", crusader edition:

> please don't pick NP as pos5
> gg
[...]
> I've played dota since 2003

(in reaction of me rotating)
AM> I've never seen a support leave lane

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lpq because of newborn issues... I. Will never escape this time

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

flashman posted:

Lpq because of newborn issues... I. Will never escape this time

Low Prio is amazing, assuming you’re in a full party.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I love it but the 10 minute queue time and regular game length is killing me

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

New chest and they banned a shitload of cheaters including Overplus users. Also, Ringmaster and Venge with Arcana and Skywrath with Arcana have hero icons now. Someone on Reddit said it looks like with the arcanas Sky and Venge swapped places with their hero themes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
doesn't sky have some venge type cosmetic already

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm like at 400 MMR and I think I'll never leave. I just came off a DK offlane game where I forgot to buy boots until like 30 min. I was so focused on mage slayer I forgot about my feets.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I'm like at 400 MMR and I think I'll never leave. I just came off a DK offlane game where I forgot to buy boots until like 30 min. I was so focused on mage slayer I forgot about my feets.

he doesn't have human feet in dragon form, half the time he shouldn't even need boots if you think about it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So had a miserable game last night. I was offlane DK, laning with a WD. Safe lane was a Carry silencer and a WD. Silencer was having a bad lane and asked to swap, so I did, but turns out he was playing support silencer, and only bought a null tali, clarities, and then mek all game. We ended up with three supports that kept feeding. It was a miserable 60 min slog since Viper and I were able to hold it together for a long time, but with out a real carry we couldn't do it. I tried to transition but I just couldn't deal with a lategame super farmed sniper and bb.

I hate this game.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
No one wanting to play carry is often a problem in unranked. my advice is play every game like you're the carry.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Always shudder when I see a silencer

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The biggest problem was that he was clearly starting with a null talisman, and he went safelane with a WD so clearly he understood that he was the carry, then he chatted "hey DK, lets swap lanes, this is a hard safelane" which was fine, but then he TPed top and just started ferrying out clarities. Like when he TPed he forgot he wasn't the support. It was really weird.

All that said, I went silver edge to deal with Sniper and BB, and me and the Viper made that Sniper's game hell for 30 min, I just assumed Silencer was farming with all the time we gave him. Eventually he rotated to join us and he was like level 10 at 20 min it. Viper and I were flummoxed, like what did he do all lane?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Null Tally is weird but WD could definitely have just picked up farm and rushed, Aghs, and made them look at it go

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Null tally, casual windlace, push stick is the recipe

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
Big fan of picking up a casual windlace for your lower movespeed ranged carries. Sniper, viper, silencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

The biggest problem was that he was clearly starting with a null talisman, and he went safelane with a WD so clearly he understood that he was the carry, then he chatted "hey DK, lets swap lanes, this is a hard safelane" which was fine, but then he TPed top and just started ferrying out clarities. Like when he TPed he forgot he wasn't the support. It was really weird.

All that said, I went silver edge to deal with Sniper and BB, and me and the Viper made that Sniper's game hell for 30 min, I just assumed Silencer was farming with all the time we gave him. Eventually he rotated to join us and he was like level 10 at 20 min it. Viper and I were flummoxed, like what did he do all lane?

At your MMR I suggest ignoring your team. Hell mute em all unless you want to poo poo talk. You can 100 percent win tons of games by farming above your level. Check your recent games- you want to be hitting 500 GPM or more ideally. There is no way even a 'good' carry at your level is farming efficiently, there will be plenty of farm on the map for them. Stack ancients yourself and then take them, focus on your lane last hits, and wins will come as you have two more items than anyone on the enemy team. Even if they aren't the right two items for the game, it's still a massive advantage. You probably want to build a farming item rather than a meta item for your first one at your MMR. For that game for example you said you did mage slayer, very good for dk, very strong, but you could have accelerated yourself with lightning hammer first into mage slayer.

Pings are more than enough to communicate and if they aren't listening to your pings they won't be listening to your chat.