Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it might have been better if we did more nuclear power in the past, but at this point I'm not convinced it's even worth trying to do new nuclear instead of just focusing on renewable power, because it would probably take so long to do it in the US that there's no point. not that we aren't probably hosed either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just get the shipbuilders to crank out more aircraft carrier reactors and hook 'em up to the grid

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Jabor posted:

just get the shipbuilders to crank out more aircraft carrier reactors and hook 'em up to the grid

i hear russia had the same idea once

didn't end well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Did the russians use a pencil (as a mediator)?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i talked to a friend who's in the nuclear industry and he said something like "yeah the south korean apr-1400 is very good and all but it's boring", and i'm like, that sounds like exactly what you want for a nuclear power plant?

plain old bwr's and pwr's with updated safety features are really quite good, it's just that most of the western world lost institutional knowledge on how to build them and it's been very very expensive to try to regain that knowledge. the south koreans didn't lose it and can build 1400 megawatt reactors on time and on budget. it's well understood technology, but of course the industry isn't really interested in that because it's not that profitable and takes ages to pay off the capital costs. it's a lot more profitable to gently caress around with new and experimental designs, there are a lot of "innovation" grifting opportunities open here

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 2, 2024

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah

i'm big on slowing everything down, not needing all these 9s of uptime, shorter work weeks, etc, but lol, lmao @ that happening

yeah this was something that really stuck with me from reading 17776 and made me start cutting certain technologies out of my life where possible

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

calvin's dad is right about everything. that's a role model right there

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rotor posted:

my beef is that a lot of it is needless. In the end its just a no-op except for the fact that we spend more energy to stay in place.

please do the needless

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i think there's a reason there were big and influential anti-nuclear movements in the eighties and nineties and i don't think the answer comes down to "people just aren't informed." it's a very computer toucher mindset of "no, no, you can't disagree, you just simply don't understand it as well as i do!"

nuclear power CAN be run safely, and yet there's plenty of examples where it hasn't. and the risks were known before they happened, and they were ignored for one reason or another. safety procedures got lax, maintenance was deferred, and then all of a sudden it blew up in everyone's face (in the case of chernobyl, quite literally).

like, maybe as long as we're a society that can't keep these things maintained and operating safely - and, in fact, one where the incentives are to let things get as bad as they can before fixing them - we shouldn't be building them?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Truman Peyote posted:

calvin's dad is right about everything. that's a role model right there

one of the great modern philosophers (and pretty yospos sometimes)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i don't know if i recognize this one. i wonder if there's some late calvin and hobbes that i've never read

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mystes posted:

as they say, peeps who would entrain speed for security deserve neither

[nods sagely]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

aardvaard posted:

i think there's a reason there were big and influential anti-nuclear movements in the eighties and nineties and i don't think the answer comes down to "people just aren't informed." it's a very computer toucher mindset of "no, no, you can't disagree, you just simply don't understand it as well as i do!"

nuclear power CAN be run safely, and yet there's plenty of examples where it hasn't. and the risks were known before they happened, and they were ignored for one reason or another. safety procedures got lax, maintenance was deferred, and then all of a sudden it blew up in everyone's face (in the case of chernobyl, quite literally).

like, maybe as long as we're a society that can't keep these things maintained and operating safely - and, in fact, one where the incentives are to let things get as bad as they can before fixing them - we shouldn't be building them?

i've raised this point before on SA and people were like "it's one of the most well-regulated industries in the world" and I'm like ok but what if that gets eroded the same way all the other goddamn regulatory agencies have gotten eroded, and people were just like "well that won't happen"

ok

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
nuclear power is bad dumb and unsafe and I’m glad it has failed. topic locked

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like you want me to implicitly trust the industry that murdered karen silkwood so hard they made a loving movie about it? really?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

as opposed to the fossil fuel industry, which has never killed anyone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think we both know that the power industry, whether it makes that power by nuclear, wind, coal, oil, solar, mouse farts, hamster wheels or geothermal, has and would kill people who get in the way of profits.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BMan posted:

as opposed to the fossil fuel industry, which has never killed anyone

you can in fact call both out as bullshit, its okay, i give you permission

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1753422802005147831

one more for the graveyard

but don't worry they're sad
https://twitter.com/searchliaison/status/1753156161509916873

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nuclear power is dangerous and unsafe but for the last 40, 50 years the alternative has been coal or oil, which are even more dangerous and less safe and well-meaning-but-misguided environmentalists have accellerated climate change by a good bit because they didnt know when to compromise.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rotor posted:

i think we both know that the power industry, whether it makes that power by nuclear, wind, coal, oil, solar, mouse farts, hamster wheels or geothermal, has and would kill people who get in the way of profits.

sure, and if people were treating them equally that'd be fine, but there's this overriding trend of "nuclear will save us and anyone who disagrees for any reason is just an uninformed idiot who's afraid of radiation" among nerds that really gets my goat, idk

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is why i absolutely cannot understand people investing any time at all in gcp. like they're just gonna rugpull you in a few years, why bother

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

don't worry, I'm sad too

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

mediaphage posted:

tech bubble v5.23: Paris to New York needs 8,800 dead pigs

BORN TO FLY
FUEL IS A gently caress
Burn Em All 2024
I am swine man
410,757,864,530 DEAD PIGS

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

please do the needless

every day brother

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
All the tools used to proof and vet are being killed off, and the armsrace of AI/SEO is the death of context.

I feel like the workload archive.org is gonna have to deal with now is going to be bonkers, which means they'll be under fire again soon

I always hoped that google cache would become a public service before google murked it but here we are

Ironic that Metal Gear(!?)'s Hideous Kojimbo thought AI would be the saviour in the early 2001

Welcome to the misinformation age folks

mystes posted:

Did the russians use a pencil (as a mediator)?

only in moderation

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 3, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

nuclear power is dangerous and unsafe but for the last 40, 50 years the alternative has been coal or oil, which are even more dangerous and less safe and well-meaning-but-misguided environmentalists have accellerated climate change by a good bit because they didnt know when to compromise.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Shame Boy posted:

sure, and if people were treating them equally that'd be fine, but there's this overriding trend of "nuclear will save us and anyone who disagrees for any reason is just an uninformed idiot who's afraid of radiation" among nerds that really gets my goat, idk

me too. It mostly just makes people mad when I say it, which only increases my own energy supply

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

a big part of that is "being at the mercy of mother nature" which horrifies them

if a system fails, they say build a magically x% better one

they all wanna brute-force "more", not realizing that the only way not to break sometimes is to yield

if there's one thing egotistical nerds who pretend to know more than they actually do can't stand its the idea of being beaten by a woman

let alone being asked to understand her

god forbid yield to her

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

yeah those people were dumb and the lost knowledge and progress on nuclear is directly responsible for climate change. I'm glad they feel good about their intentions though.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
On the other hand I enjoy the warmer weather

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

rotor posted:

it's actually cause coal just got way cheaper but you can blame it on the environmentalists if it makes you feel better

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

aardvaard posted:

it's actually cause coal just got way cheaper but you can blame it on the environmentalists if it makes you feel better

theres plenty of blame to go around, we dont have to give it all to one group of people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

like you want me to implicitly trust the industry that murdered karen silkwood so hard they made a loving movie about it? really?

well that's the exact gotcha that's part of the problem. Karen Silkwood was murdered by the nuclear weapons industry, not the civilian nuclear power industry.

the nuclear weapons industry has a near endless list of terrible things theyve done:
  • meltdown a reactor just outside of LA: check
  • cover up the meltdown for decades: check
  • burn plutonium laced waste just upwind of Denver: check
  • lie about the illegal incineration until the FBI busts them: check
  • lie to workers about what metals they were handling and if they were radioactive: check
  • have such terrible process controls that there would be rat poo poo in the hot glove boxes: check
  • have legal immunity from all of the above: check
so people are rightfully suspicious of the nuclear weapons industry and when nuclear power people say "dont worry, we're different" it takes more than promises to convince people otherwise

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

this is such bullshit.

just last month i helped my sister-in-law find a recipe she loved that had gone offline using the cached google page. wayback machine didn't have it, but google sure did.

now whenever that happens to someone in the future, welp guess you don't want to read anything older than like, 3 years or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't understand why they even felt the need to remove this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

I don't understand why they even felt the need to remove this

they want their search page to be ai gobbledygook gpt poo poo, and page history lets you access real information created by humans. There you go.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
somebody's content farm numbers were down last quarter and they managed to scapegoat the cache feature and get it killed

all information retreival features are obstacles to replacing the entire web with billboards mortared together with llm excrement

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my first instinct was hosting costs but idk how much that feature would cost them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eeyo posted:

this is such bullshit.

just last month i helped my sister-in-law find a recipe she loved that had gone offline using the cached google page. wayback machine didn't have it, but google sure did.

now whenever that happens to someone in the future, welp guess you don't want to read anything older than like, 3 years or something.

google is getting bad enough it's making me want to setup a web crawler for a local index of pages i've liked lol