Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alaois posted:

I can't believe The Last Blade 2 is judging me for finishing these fights using Supers so Hibiki turns evil
You should feel judged for throwing your Chao into walls in the Chao Garden until they die prematurely of stress.

Endorph posted:

cause i love it? like... idk. people just wanna spend time with things they like. if they wanted to make that point it should have taken like 50000 hours and rewarded you with a thumbs up emoji or smth, not taken 3 and rewarded you with cool exclusive content.
Flashbacks to Breath of the Wild giving you a literal piece of poo poo for getting all Korok seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

cause i love it? like... idk. people just wanna spend time with things they like. if they wanted to make that point it should have taken like 50000 hours and rewarded you with a thumbs up emoji or smth, not taken 3 and rewarded you with cool exclusive content.

yeah that’s very fair

thinking about it, it’s been long enough that i think im remembering the conversations ive read interpreting all the meta poo poo in the game from a “this is directed at fandom” perspective without being able to confidently say how much of that is actually in the game’s text lmao

considering homestuck was the most fandom-brained work of all time i guess it makes sense that people would point there first; if nothing else seeing how that poo poo went down is probably a big part of why Toby Fox is such an internet hermit (and good for him!)

IShallRiseAgain posted:

and the best song.

yeah battle against a true hero and its buildup is still the hypest a fight had made me feel

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Can a creator please do something so we don't have to keep talking about video games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean undertale fandom is easy to make fun of (please) but also teh fanbase did make a bunch of genuinely cool fan content, get a lot of meaning out of, and form genuine friendships through it. its easy to make fun of twitter weirdos and go 'fandom bad, undertale is an essay on this' when also toby fox hasnt exactly gone out of his way to condemn or mock people at all, and has in fact engaged with fans fairly regularly. dude makes a fan newsletter. just because he isnt tweeting constantly doesnt mean hes completely disconnected from it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spaced God posted:

Can a creator please do something so we don't have to keep talking about video games
unfortunately most of the creators in this thread also talk about video games

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t get how you don’t be as evil as can be in the game world with no consequences

You get to let out all your intrusive thoughts in a healthy and safe environment lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spaced God posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPHy3yWE08

Part 3 in a great series on the use of CGI in film-making and how movie studios don't want to admit how much they use (going so far as to use it to edit behind-the-scenes footage that shows it being used). I really like the stuff on matte paintings in there.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0CrEhFIH2I

dunno if i picked it up in this thread but this vid about don bluth is good. good history of his career and decent reviews of most of the movies from a musical perspective

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m really enjoying James Rolfe playing old games with his childhood friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrQTjU5CwUs

Really captures that James/Mike James/Bootsy unselfconscious Jersey Guy energy.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Lol at the early 2000s tv footage of an old lady going "I don't believe in ghosts, or vampires, or communists"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe I'm engaging with media incorrectly but I have a really hard time imprinting myself onto a character that's already defined. And prefer to play games designed that way rather than let you create one. I haven't played Spec Ops but I have played Black Ops 1 and I don't feel like I'm a war criminal for having done so. Nor being a serial murder for any of the reckless destruction in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction or Saints Row 4 as I snap people in half for health pickups.

This is all just entertainment as far as I'm concerned. I don't feel like I'm ever being judged when I'm watching someone yell at my character, I more struggle to just pick the evil options in a game. That's my personal hang up.

SpecOps is absolutely trying to judge the player imo, but yeah agree with you that if that is the case then it's trite and I don't particularly feel bad about the "bad" things the characters I control do in video games.

Endorph posted:

the worst criminals depicted in spec ops the line are shown in the credits. dogshit game

finally a good take

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 3, 2024

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t get how you don’t be as evil as can be in the game world with no consequences

You get to let out all your intrusive thoughts in a healthy and safe environment lol

i don't WANT to be evil. i want to be nice. all my power fantasies are just helping people

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I help them

To die 😈

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

i mean undertale fandom is easy to make fun of (please) but also teh fanbase did make a bunch of genuinely cool fan content, get a lot of meaning out of, and form genuine friendships through it. its easy to make fun of twitter weirdos and go 'fandom bad, undertale is an essay on this' when also toby fox hasnt exactly gone out of his way to condemn or mock people at all, and has in fact engaged with fans fairly regularly. dude makes a fan newsletter. just because he isnt tweeting constantly doesnt mean hes completely disconnected from it.

i’ve enjoyed a lot of the Undertale fandom and didn’t mean to imply i was dunking on it or that Toby Fox secretly resents it! just that it’s probably much healthier to not constantly tweet and to not have an open fanmail askbox where you get defensive about all your creative choices

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 3, 2024

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
spec ops proved video games can't be art because the moment you do something vaguely pointed in the direction of anything like a statement gamers take it personally and begin filling their diapers about it. maybe if the soviet state had lasted long enough to give us videogames' version of eisenstein it would have had a chance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I don't know how Toby could regularly engage with that landmine of a fanbase and not get dragged into a ton of dumb drama. This isn't really a shot at the Undertale fandom in particular btw: once any fan base gets to that size and level of online it just gets really messy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Impermanent posted:

spec ops proved video games can't be art because the moment you do something vaguely pointed in the direction of anything like a statement gamers take it personally and begin filling their diapers about it. maybe if the soviet state had lasted long enough to give us videogames' version of eisenstein it would have had a chance.
no i love games with statements. spec ops is just very bad at making one

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sydin posted:

Honestly I don't know how Toby could regularly engage with that landmine of a fanbase and not get dragged into a ton of dumb drama. This isn't really a shot at the Undertale fandom in particular btw: once any fan base gets to that size and level of online it just gets really messy.

I mean there was the recent fan game kerfuffle with the company that handles the DMCA poo poo for him so he's not even avoiding all of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean there was the recent fan game kerfuffle with the company that handles the DMCA poo poo for him so he's not even avoiding all of it.

tbf that one owned because the guy was like HEH, PROVE YOU HAVE THE RIGHTS FOR THIS... TOBY WOULD NEVER GRANT YOU PERMISSION... and toby just went 'shut the gently caress up man'

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think people just don’t like being told what they are for playing a silly game

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

CelticPredator posted:

I think people just don’t like being told what they are for playing a silly game

hmm. I think people do like that, actually

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

tbf that one owned because the guy was like HEH, PROVE YOU HAVE THE RIGHTS FOR THIS... TOBY WOULD NEVER GRANT YOU PERMISSION... and toby just went 'shut the gently caress up man'

Oh yeah it WAS funny but also just like...I don't think it's a good business to work with a company who's CEO is both active online and constantly Doing Twitter Beefs with strangers.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

these people would crumble to dust like withered corpses if they knew about the touhou fan games sold on official stores for real money

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CelticPredator posted:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the main character of Spec Ops: The Line should have been played by Michael Pitt

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Sydin posted:

Toby's taken exactly the right approach and I assume it has everything to do with him being right on the periphery of homestuck, which gave him enough experience to understand what that kind of fanbase is like.

Endorph posted:

no i love games with statements. spec ops is just very bad at making one

spec ops is just gaming's version of funny games and its very funny that people melt down about its heavy handed and extremely obvious critique because they have post traumatic jack thompson disorder. you don't have to like what something is saying for it to be saying something

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

my funny games reference was first and more oblique than yours so i win

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013

dmboogie posted:

thinking about it, it’s been long enough that i think im remembering the conversations ive read interpreting all the meta poo poo in the game from a “this is directed at fandom” perspective without being able to confidently say how much of that is actually in the game’s text lmao

This was the main point of Hbomb's really old video. He pointed to the line that only appears after a second Genocide route about the player having a "perverted sentimentality" towards the world.

Wrt to Spec Ops, the thing I actually hated the most was the theory that the whole game took place in purgatory. There was apparently a lot of proof in the text and iirc the devs themselves confirm the theory, but it feels like way more of a cop out. The Surrender ending feels more impactful when you accept that it all took place in the real world, because the consequences are concrete: Walker will likely face trial for his war crimes and he has to live with his horrific experiences for the rest of his life.

Really weird tangent, but this is a similar take I have with Pizza Tower of all games. There was a brief thread on reddit asking if the funny pizza Warioland-like could have any meaning as a story. Some users tried to tie the cast to some metaphorical aspect of Peppino's life, but I find that the game's ending is more meaningful if all the bosses and the tower are literal and not metaphors. The absurdity of the situation makes Peppino's breakdown and triumph even more uplifting. He has had enough of the bullshit life's thrown at him and is finally taking back reign over his own life

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ivypls posted:

i don't WANT to be evil. i want to be nice. all my power fantasies are just helping people

Being kind and considerate is legit the most badass thing one can do

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ivypls posted:

Yeah, I just want to be good at everything and fix all the problems

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Alaois posted:

my funny games reference was first and more oblique than yours so i win

lmao you know what you actually inspired mine because I went "wow, haven't thought about michael pit in a while," forgot about the context of why you mentioned him, and then remembered funny games without realizing that was what you were doing. I have been owned.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, I just want to be good at everything and fix all the problems

this is also my power fantasy in video games. that and 100% stealth undetected no kill runs.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Really weird tangent, but this is a similar take I have with Pizza Tower of all games. There was a brief thread on reddit asking if the funny pizza Warioland-like could have any meaning as a story. Some users tried to tie the cast to some metaphorical aspect of Peppino's life, but I find that the game's ending is more meaningful if all the bosses and the tower are literal and not metaphors. The absurdity of the situation makes Peppino's breakdown and triumph even more uplifting. He has had enough of the bullshit life's thrown at him and is finally taking back reign over his own life

pizza tower is about how small business owners are insane neurotics whose evil is only barely outclassed by large IP owning corporations

final edit: hotline miami 1 and 2 both did the spec ops thing better, and it is helped by 1 being more specifically about player agency and 2 being more about the socio-political context of violence in games.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 3, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pizza tower has a story???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Pizza tower has a story???
kinda? it has visual gags and things happen in a coherent sequence that you can write down and makes sense

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

NikkolasKing posted:

Nier always sticks in my head because before I ever played it al I heard was "lol Father Nier killed everyone," like he's the unambiguous villain of the piece. It's really not that simple. The Shades are attempting to bodyjack a bunch of innocent people, their goal is explicitly evil and wrong. Based on what the other Yonah says, this is definitely not jus timmoral, it's painful and terrifying for the one possessed. So they're hardly innocent in all this.

Plus, nobody ever tries to explain anything to Father Nier. The Twins only say something when it is far, far too late, and they also leave out vital information like the sterility and inevitable death of the Replicants from that disease.

It's a case of misunderstanding, not just genocidal disregard or whatever.

"nier kills everyone" is mostly the funny way of summarizing it because everything's still kind of doomed no matter what the main character does. IIRC there's no like, winning scenario where everything works out particularly well for humanity. A magical disease infected humanity and so a genius thought of a plan to take people's souls out of their body, make new bodies, then shove their souls into those bodies once they were ready. What they didn't count on was A. the souls basically decaying and going crazy in the interim and B. the bodies gaining their own sentience and sense of self. Due to this process being made at a desperate pace and thus was kind of poo poo it relied on the like, magical juice from one specific dude who managed to go through the process and not go crazy immediately: the original nier, who is now the gestalt nier.

The thing killing Yonah is Black Scrawl, which is caused when a replicant's gestalt starts to go crazy, basically. So either her gestalt gets shoved into her and she loses her sense of identity and basically dies so the original yonah can live, or the original yonah loses her sense of identity and sentience and they both die because the black scrawl kills a replicant once the gestalt loses all sense of self. The reason why no one really tries to explain anything to Nier is because they want to try and keep him as in the dark as possible for when everything's ready for what was supposed to be a mass migration of gestalts into all of the surviving replicants, but unfortunately because gestalt yonah started losing her poo poo gestalt nier moved his plans ahead of schedule and that threw everything out of wack and because replicant and gestalt nier are still basically the same dude at the core of things; the instant yonah's in danger that man is going to do anything to save her no matter what.

But also by killing gestalt nier, they can't make the gestalt juice anymore which means all the remaining gestalts are doomed to go crazy which means all the remaining replicants are also extra hosed.

Like, if at any point someone did sit down and explain to nier that the dude that kidnapped yonah was actually another version of himself who just wanted to erase her entire being so his yonah could live, and then eventually he'd do the same and take over his body too: it wouldn't have really changed anything. Because that's stupid, no one would want that.

CelticPredator posted:

:hmmyes:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

CelticPredator posted:

Nier rules

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think it really works in Undertale but only because the game goes out of its way to establish “going back and doing it peacefully” as an in-universe option. No character except POSSIBLY Chara at the very end of the genocide run ever directly accuses you, the player, of being evil or making evil choices. It’s just set up in such a way that the person they are actually speaking to, the human, is in a situation that directly mirrors the player’s. Thus it becomes extremely easy, natural even, for the player to put themselves in the place of the protagonist and feel the emotions they would feel if they were actually doing those things. That’s the hallmark of a good story, in my opinion.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I played the PS1 Spec Ops games and by that metric The Line is amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DeafNote posted:

Nier rules

I do think they are

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nier automata: it is all pointless, but it is for ourselves to forge our own purpose.

Outer Wilds : it is all pointless, but we create meaning through knowledge and our companions, and the comfort of knowing nothing lasts forever.

Undertale : it is all pointless, but you yourself determine your actions and how they change those around you.

Hades : it is all pointless, but everyone deserves a better chance in life and death, and the cost is worth it.

Pizza tower : it is all pointless, but wait there is apparently lore that peppino is a war veteran with severe ptsd which explains the different game mechanics and retro wave soundtrack of that one level? Pizza is everything.

Death Stranding : it is all pointless, but we cannot allow our self imposed isolation and nihilism consume us, Sam.

Dark seed : it is all pointless, but this will explain everything.

Harvester : it is all pointless, and the ending of this game would be replicated nearly bit for bit by Neil gaiman in his short story for a matrix movie anthology (that really exists).

Scorn : it is all pointless. Itchy. Tasty.

Yakuza : it is all pointless. Time for karaoke.

Silent hill 2 : it is all pointless, and you deserve every bad thing you got you loving piece of poo poo.

Sonic series : it is all pointless, but I'll still buy your idiot 3d games because I deserve every bad thing I got I'm a loving piece of poo poo.

Streets of rage 2 : it is all pointless. Only trust your fists.

Spec ops the line : it is all pointless. You are still a good person 🇺🇸

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

when are they going to free yoko taro from the gacha mines and let him make a real game again