Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Never had the chance to play them so 0 nostalgia. How historically important are they really? Like were they revolutionarily good games?

I enjoy that aspect of old games and it was cool to play Doom 1+2 for the first time in the 2020’s discovering that they are fun and hold up and inform so many successors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wouldn't say they were revolutionary good games, obviously having a female protagonist was a big deal back in 1996 and they had the whole 3D graphics in their infancy new-ness. Really there are a long of things the TR games did poorly, combat was basic even back then, a lot of the later levels, particularly in TR3 could get needlessly complicated but there is such a charm to them that for me is deeply rooted in nostalgia and a shared experience of gaming with my dad.

If nothing else they are a real throwback to when games didn't hold your hand, the games were hard man, me and my dad stopped playing Tomb Raider 1 till the second part of the walkthrough was published in the next month's copy of Gamesmaster magazine, lol.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m only getting it if the nude raider code was kept in.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The one where you dance in time to never ever by all saints?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh poo poo MvDk is the one that plays like Kristy's Super Funhouse?

gently caress yes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This is a roguelike, and I think it's one of those games where you take a step and all the enemies on the map take a step too?

thats a roguelike yes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harold Fjord posted:

Oh poo poo MvDk is the one that plays like Kristy's Super Funhouse?

gently caress yes.

Just one or two levels per world play like that but there are a lot of worlds. Most are a standard Donkey Kong type level with a mini as your end goal

Electromax
May 6, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wouldn't say they were revolutionary good games

Good is subjective, but I think the original was hugely revolutionary/impactful. It came out a month or so apart from Mario 64 (and Crash 1, what a time) and had much larger and more complex levels, cinematic camera cutaways, puzzles that were slightly above child-level, cool CG cutscenes way before FF7, and the main character was one of the handful of de facto Video Game Mascots for 3-4 years after. In some sense it was 3D Prince of Persia, but in another it was Indiana Jones and was a much "cooler" game next to characters like Bubsy. I think it also influenced the 3rd person camera behavior/look/etc. of stuff like Syphon Filter and Silent Hill too (for better or worse).

That said, I'm biased as it is one of my favorite trilogies and I've loved it for decades, but I wouldn't recommend the originals to newcomers aside from curiosity because the controls are very rigid and the jumps/climbing all function on a grid system that is frustrating if you don't play by its rules (e.g. knowing how far the different jumps will reach). I'm really curious to see if the remasters address that well or not, I had a hard time seeing modern controls working given the way the levels are designed, but it would be great if more people discover them. I think they have a ton of charm.

Made some trilogy maps too, although they aren't really necessary for observant players.
https://x.com/vgcartography/status/1732022714582364483

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i played tr1 a ton as a kid when it came out, never beat it. hard rear end games

i played through the trilogy completely last year and had a blast. it held up super well, at least for me, but i have a lot of jank tolerance. i'll be happy for this trilogy just to have a way to play them on modern platforms

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
tomb raider ftw

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Tomb Raider was cool until Angelina Jolie cut her boobs off. But here we are.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

eightysixed posted:

Tomb Raider was cool until Angelina Jolie cut her boobs off. But here we are.

Imagine the drama of a vulnerable Lara Croft still persisting on her worldly adventures despite her illness. It needs fleshing out, no pun intended, but we guarantee the gaming world would be shocked, stunned, and moved by the effort to make Lara's character more meaningful.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I tried out the Mario Vs Donkey Kong demo and while it looks amazing graphic wise man it got really defanged from the GBA version. No rankings for time left over? Get outta here, back in the day you had to be efficient to unlock stars :colbert:

I saw that Eastward was on sale with the Harvest Moon-like life sim, how is ot overall? Heard lots of love or hate opinions about it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Imagine the drama of a vulnerable Lara Croft still persisting on her worldly adventures despite her illness.
There was no illness. It was preventative maintenance :eng101:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really hope the princess peach game has some good options to play with my almost-four year old. Do y'all know if they've talked about any of that kind of stuff yet?

She wants a princess peach birthday party, so I'm hoping this is a win.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

External Organs posted:

I really hope the princess peach game has some good options to play with my almost-four year old. Do y'all know if they've talked about any of that kind of stuff yet?

She wants a princess peach birthday party, so I'm hoping this is a win.

I haven’t seen anything that suggests the game will have any kind of multiplayer mode but you never know I guess

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Larryb posted:

I haven’t seen anything that suggests the game will have any kind of multiplayer mode but you never know I guess

If not I might jank it up with my daughter doing the movement and me doing the action buttons. It....kind of worked for some Mario Wonder levels. Better for goose game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I want a princess peach birthday party

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

elf help book posted:

I think we are gonna try to make a mushroom kingdom themed obstacle course. She loves to jump on poo poo.

I'll post pictures when it happens! Mid April.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

elf help book posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Princess Peach owns.

Even though Daisy is better.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

You monster :saddowns:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
i'm slightly annoyed that i played through tomb raider 1 + 2 on the PC recently with a bunch of patches to make them run tolerably on modern hardware and am halfway through 3. i would've waited if i knew the remastered collection were coming.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

MaxDuo posted:

I remember playing some game on Steam using the Wii U Pro controller a long time ago and it was really hard to do various QTEs and some other things in it as you learned more and more stuff because it would display the Xbox 360 buttons.

Yeah, I still have a lot of affection for that controller (I should bust it out again, in fact). This is exactly what happened when I played Assassin's Creed Rogue.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Moon is the other Earthbound game I never knew about. This is really neat.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Pigma_Micron posted:

Yeah, I still have a lot of affection for that controller (I should bust it out again, in fact). This is exactly what happened when I played Assassin's Creed Rogue.

Yeah I think it was one of the Assassins Creed games. Also I think it was the color of the button rather than the letter often....?

Wii U Pro controller was awesome with it's battery life of about 4 eternities.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

MaxDuo posted:

Yeah I think it was one of the Assassins Creed games. Also I think it was the color of the button rather than the letter often....?

Wii U Pro controller was awesome with it's battery life of about 4 eternities.

The way it worked in Rogue (and, presumably, Black Flag) is the prompts would be in a place on screen according to the placement of the button. So A would be at the bottom of the screen, X would be to the left, and so on.

So I got hosed up by polar bears a bunch.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Pigma_Micron posted:

The way it worked in Rogue (and, presumably, Black Flag) is the prompts would be in a place on screen according to the placement of the button. So A would be at the bottom of the screen, X would be to the left, and so on.

The worst was figuring it out and being fine with it... then going away from the game for a week or so and completely forgetting and struggling to re-learn.

Or you beat one game and play the next a month or so later and suddenly you are just incapable of playing the game again.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1622958367374458882?lang=en

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Ya almost got me but then I was like “it’s only the 2nd…?” before I saw the year.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

This doesn’t work you gotta post it on the 7th

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I tried out the Mario Vs Donkey Kong demo and while it looks amazing graphic wise man it got really defanged from the GBA version. No rankings for time left over? Get outta here, back in the day you had to be efficient to unlock stars :colbert:

Tragic, especially considering that was a step down from DK 94.

Nintendo just needs to remake DK 94 in HD or make an actual sequel to the game.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Tragic, especially considering that was a step down from DK 94.

Nintendo just needs to remake DK 94 in HD or make an actual sequel to the game.

DK 94 with Metroid Dread control tightness

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

:murder:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

god drat you lol

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Y tho

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

snoremac posted:

Moon is the other Earthbound game I never knew about. This is really neat.
Now that I've played further I'm not going to finish it because some quests are too opaque in hinting at what needs to be done, plus it has a day/night schedule that everything follows and I'm not willing to observe it all to finish the game properly.

Still, I enjoyed my time with it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Tempura Wizard posted:

This doesn’t work you gotta post it on the 7th

Yeah, really.
Get it together.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

A laughable amateur attempt. Today's the 2nd, n00b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress u bud