Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I played in a league where the lower skill levels capped goals at 3 per player or it was a penalty. Maybe it was treated like an icing, I can't recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Seems like a league problem if there were so many teams brining ringers in they decided on a goal cap rule rather than trying to better balance the teams/league. 2 goals really sucks though since nobody can get a hattrick.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah we have a Gretzky rule for the lower divs. Anything 6-10 is a 3 goal max. Teams that constantly have someone hitting it have been getting moved up to harder competition.

The sandbagging in the lower divs has been getting a little better, but you’ll run into someone who just wants to play hockey with a partner or family member who really does sandbag it successfully just so they can have some fun. It’s the middle divs where that’s still an issue.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bremerton has 3 goal max. Scoring a fourth is no goal, a delay of game penalty, and center dot faceoff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easier on the commissioner than actually balancing teams so of course they're gonna do it.

I played in a league the limited goals for "skilled" players but the end result was once they hit their quota they just played keep away the rest of the game so it didn't actually fix any problems.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Verman posted:

defense takes themselves out, 3-0 and can't even get a shot off, and then turns over to what seems like a breakway in the opposite direction.

beerleague.mov

I'm both the blue guy with the breakaway who can't get a shot off and turns it over and also the guy in white who catches that turn over and ices what should be a 1-0 breakaway

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My rink has a 3 goal limit. Penalty for the 4th. Which is good because most teams have a ringer or 5 who can score a hattrick at will

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
A gold league team in Tacoma is playing in silver because all the other gold teams didn’t sign up for the season. They won a game 15-0 with only five skaters against the last place silver team. Last half of the third period they just ragged the puck the whole time. Yes, there is a 3 goal max rule in the RHL.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I was in that league I'd forfeit every game against that team.

Maybe hang out in the parking lot and grill hotdogs or whatever.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

One of my teams got pumped by 7 goals the other night and I was thinking about how good a Rainier is gonna taste while there was still most of the 3rd left. If I was in a game down by a 15 I'd not only ask the refs to run time the 3rd but maybe see if they can 2x the clock speed. Games like that just really isn't fun for anyone imo

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

xzzy posted:

If I was in that league I'd forfeit every game against that team.

Maybe hang out in the parking lot and grill hotdogs or whatever.

Forfeit but then throw sticks in the middle or something. Ice is already paid for.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Subbed tonight with a friend's team that I've played with a few times. It was one of those games that I just felt was going to be good on the drive there. Got a hat trick. I almost had 5 and it's not a low skill div. We were up 5-2 but then we let them tie in the last 4 seconds.

My goals were all line chemistry. Everything just clicked.

First goal was me taking a loose puck around the back of the net, but rather than continuing around with the puck, I turned my hands over and put the puck behind me, into the slot from where I came as I continued around the net. I've seen it but never tried it before. The goalie followed me leaving that side side open. My teammate shot it but it hit the goalies leg pad and popped into the slot. I came around the other side and picked up the rebound and just put it low on net. The goalie stood up having no idea where the puck was when I shot it and heard it hit the back bar. I would love to see the live barn of that goal/setup. 100% chance looks awful compared to my memory.

Next goal was a 2-1 breakaway. I crashed straight to the net and my teammate took the defenseman wide with him. The pass was a little behind me but I could still catch it and tap it in.

Last goal was as the other team was breaking out of their zone. Our player caught the rimmed puck and pushed into the corner. I go straight to the goalie. He was in the corner by that point and fed me a perfect pass across the crease where I was waiting backdoor for the tap in.

I had one where I was skating in 1v1 and shot through the defenders legs and got the goalies pad. The goalie slid right but the rebound came left which is where I ended up. I took a quick snap shot at a wide open net from a sharp angle near the dot and missed.

I also almost tapped in a loose garbage goal rebound but the goalie lost track of the puck and just grabbed my stick.

Such a fun game.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Going back to goals, our top league collapsed so a bunch of those guys dropped down to the mid-league, who in turn had a bunch of guys move down to the fat, old guy league (i.e. my league). It's screwed up a bunch of things, teams with enough guys that people have to stand behind the bench instead of sitting. The fix to the inequality was to limit to 3 goals per person with penalty if there are 9 or more on the bench.

We have 7 last night against a team who normally has 8-9 but ended with 15 guys. We won in OT with 8 seconds left. I am very tired this morning.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

any league that makes a hat trick illegal should be shot into the sun

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shout out to HZ who sold me his old Easton helmet however many years ago. I have loved it and used it for pickups which are my exclusive way of playing hockey now so it’s a lot of use. I took an extremely hard fall and it did its job and stayed on and secure.

I realize now it’s likely past its expiration date and I should probably move on but it served me and my strangely shaped head well 🫡

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm pretty sure I'm still wearing the helmet I replaced it with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I replaced a helmet only because the league I was in made us get a sticker every season and all the stickers started looking stupid.

Whenever I got a new one instead of peeling the old one off I'd be in a hurry to get on the ice so I'd just slap it on any bare spot. Repeat for five years.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I peeled off the sticker with my helmet's expiration date. Problem solved!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There's no requirements for expiration dates to be within any limit for adult recreational hockey. That said, if your bucket is in lovely shape, get a new one so you don't find out the hard way how big a difference it makes. There are helmets out there now with a ton of options for adjusting the fit. Even the skaters in the A/1-2 divs will occasionally find out how much work their helmet is doing. Also advisable to replace old helmets if you take a big impact in them as the padding is what goes.

I'm also seeing a larger percentage of lower div adult skaters wearing laceration guards on their neck, or the full shirt with cut protection. I don't know how they don't absolutely carry sweat and then I see how fast their skating and realize there's probably not much to soak up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm still wearing the helmet I replaced it with.

I’m sure I could still wear it but that was the hardest hit I’ve taken to my head since high school so I should probably retire it

Also what I get for trying hard for once lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ve thankfully never taken a solid shot to the head. Hope to never find out.

About once a year I get an itch to switch to a half shield, and within 1-2 games I get whacked with an errant stick and that’s that.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I got a hybrid from https://hockeyfaceshields.com/shop/ a year or two ago and love it. I need to replace the shield part since it's gotten scratched which was entirely my fault but A+ would recommend.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have no plans to replace my helmet. I've gorilla glue'd the pads in place that hold way better than the initial adhesive. Love the look of the helmet too much.

At least I won't remember I made this post when I get CTE

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This was me backchecking against a guy who got his cup of coffee with the Amerks so he’s far better than I and I was going to gently caress with him and grab his stick while he was giving the goalie a chance to read his shot to help them practice but instead he cut back and didn’t see me and I think just kind of took my legs out and I was spun around in air and landed on shoulder and head. My jaw bit into my mouthpiece haaard.

He’s a homie and I was trying to gently caress with him but just a weird play.

I don’t spend time in front of the net without my glove covering my mouth and I just let the folks without stick control do their thing to avoid almost all conflicts

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also I’ve gone on and off working out but after 200 days of travel last year and the consequences of that I committed back to it and after 15 weeks of it, it feels drat good to shoot the puck harder and be able to at least maybe sometimes catch a more skilled player when they’re being lazy

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I have a question about skates.

My son has been playing for about 5 years now, he's 9, and when he was first starting I bought some cheap Bauer NS skates. I only ended up ever using them once. Yesterday it was nice so I went to the outdoor rink with him. After like 20-30 minutes my feet hurt. They are so drat uncomfortable. Now I'm assuming the fact that they've only been used once prior and them being cheap are a double whammy on why they made my feet hurt. Is there any salvaging these things if I want to skate more or do I just need to move to something nicer?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

wandler20 posted:

I have a question about skates.

My son has been playing for about 5 years now, he's 9, and when he was first starting I bought some cheap Bauer NS skates. I only ended up ever using them once. Yesterday it was nice so I went to the outdoor rink with him. After like 20-30 minutes my feet hurt. They are so drat uncomfortable. Now I'm assuming the fact that they've only been used once prior and them being cheap are a double whammy on why they made my feet hurt. Is there any salvaging these things if I want to skate more or do I just need to move to something nicer?

Did you put decent insoles into them? The ones that come standard in skates are really hard. I like superfeet, but Bauer makes ones that are also nice (and I think more expensive). If you're not going to be using skates for a ton of time a week there's not probably a point in buying $400 skates. Using them and breaking them in will also help. Can you even bake those? I'd think not for the price point.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah assuming they fit right I'm gonna go with you simply haven't worn them enough. Even having skates that are more expensive and customizable isn't always a magic remedy for that. The only skates I've ever worn that didn't have a painful break-in period were a pair of Grafs I bought 20 years ago (:rip:)

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 21, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'll get some insoles to see if that helps. Sounds like I just need to suck it up and go skate more or maybe try to find some used skates.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 21, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lacing can be a factor too. Experiment with where you tighten up (leave the toes loose, or the midfoot, etc) and see if there's any change. Your feet may just not be used to crammed into a coffin so relieving pressure points can help. I don't recommend running with the top eyelets loose but you can certainly try it.

There's also different lacing patterns out there if you want to get really nerdy but that might be overkill. It's definitely worth experimenting though, no one knows your feet like you do so it's a puzzle you kinda gotta figure out through iteration.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

xzzy posted:

Lacing can be a factor too. Experiment with where you tighten up (leave the toes loose, or the midfoot, etc) and see if there's any change. Your feet may just not be used to crammed into a coffin so relieving pressure points can help. I don't recommend running with the top eyelets loose but you can certainly try it.

There's also different lacing patterns out there if you want to get really nerdy but that might be overkill. It's definitely worth experimenting though, no one knows your feet like you do so it's a puzzle you kinda gotta figure out through iteration.

Thanks. I think the insoles might be key because the bottom of the skates are very hard. I use waxed laces for my son and they seem to stay in place better when tying them so maybe I'll try that too.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

This one hurt. Later in this game I tried to block a shot with my palm. Lucky it was a weak shot.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
this contest is over give that skater the $10,000

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bgreman posted:

This one hurt. Later in this game I tried to block a shot with my palm. Lucky it was a weak shot.

Sup nutshot livebarn buddy
:hfive:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I've had Bauer S180s for like 5 years, but suddenly now the left side of my right skate is pinching me like crazy, to where I think it needs to get punched. Moleskin doesn't help at all. Whenever I've gotten skates punched before, it's always been on brand new skates with hot spots. Has anyone else needed to get old, broken in skates punched? Seems weird that it would just suddenly start hurting like crazy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

bgreman posted:

you must have Torts on the bench. way to get in the lane lmao

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've had Bauer S180s for like 5 years, but suddenly now the left side of my right skate is pinching me like crazy, to where I think it needs to get punched. Moleskin doesn't help at all. Whenever I've gotten skates punched before, it's always been on brand new skates with hot spots. Has anyone else needed to get old, broken in skates punched? Seems weird that it would just suddenly start hurting like crazy.

I have the S170, about the same age, and getting a similar issue. I'm wondering if the foam is breaking down.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Is the side collapsing in, like creasing?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chemmy posted:

Is the side collapsing in, like creasing?

Everything is still structurally sound. It just feels like I have way less room at that spot and I'm getting pinched. I'm gonna try punching them the next time I get them sharpened and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My other team played a playoff play-in game today. Were down 0-2 with about four minutes left in the game when we pot one. I almost never pull the goalie in beer league, but it's playoffs so we did it tonight, and scored again to tie it with 40 seconds left in the game.

For some dumb reason, overtime is 5 mins of 3 on 3. I can only imagine this was some of the ugliest hockey ever skated. Eventually it started getting sloppy enough that the other team started getting frustrated that no penalties were called and were begging the ref for a call. Finally one of our guys lightly tripped one of theirs and the ref had to call it, the other team looked smug as hell. Twenty seconds or so into the 4-on-3 penalty kill, I deflected a cross-crease pass with my skates right into empty space, where our winger picked it up off the boards, skated around their last guy back, and potted it high glove side. Short-handed overtime game winner.

Hockey is so good sometimes. Also some of the roller derby players I coach showed up to this late-rear end game and provided a ton of energy.

https://streamable.com/vf2p15