Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I don't know much about ECOWAS, but this always sticks in my mind:

Map of ECOWAS countries:

Map of countries currently using the CFA currency, controlled and issued by France:

Map of countries intending to go over to the Eco currency, managed by ECOWAS to replace the CFA, so that France has less direct/obvious of a hand in controlling that economic zone:

Edit: Obviously that map is before Mali, Niger and Burkino Faso's news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cindy the SKULL
Nov 27, 2023

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Weka posted:

Most of the population of ECOWAS lives in Nigeria, which is an ex British colony.

the british never left

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
The actual announcement:
https://x.com/btnewsroom/status/1752107483663831139?s=46

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how many DC think tank failkids are learning "what is soft power" for the first time in their lives.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

They need to rethink that acronym

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

They need to rethink that acronym

the rear end-men are ascendant

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lol. Nice thread title

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol.

https://twitter.com/RealJPVillasmil/status/1752364973399978346

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's gonna be epic when every country or separatist group finds out the best way to manipulate the US into supporting them in the 21th century is to appeal to culture war crap

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Abiy Ahmed is gonna invade Minnesota

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Plutonis posted:

It's gonna be epic when every country or separatist group finds out the best way to manipulate the US into supporting them in the 21th century is to appeal to culture war crap

Nah, then you have to totally change ethos every 4-8 years and reverse yourself on abortion, or whether trans people should be allowed to live, or whatever dumb issue you picked. Better to just blandly praise the empty signifiers everyone in the US loves like "freedom" and "democracy", which is what they've all been doing since the 1950s anyway.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Abiy Ahmed is gonna invade Minnesota

ethiopia deserves an outlet to the mississippi

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

some kid wrote about this for their college class, PL314, Marx & Marxist Philosophy. some interesting parts to consider. a different perspective...
Seeing Past the Spectacle of the Bamiyan Buddhas – PL314 – Final Projects

the class sounds kinda cool: https://web.colby.edu/pl314-spring19/

did u know that season three of madame secretary has a major plot point thats obviously based around our heroic friends in the cia doing everything they can to save statues very similar to these from archeological thievery

i thought that was very interesting

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Jan 31, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Um, am I correct in thinking Somalia is peopled almost exclusively by Somalis? Rather than being only just more than half like Elmi claims in that article.

E: did not realise Traore was only a captain. I wonder how much being such a hunk has helped him gain his current position.

Weka has issued a correction as of 07:26 on Jan 31, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wrong thread

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Weka posted:

Um, am I correct in thinking Somalia is peopled almost exclusively by Somalis? Rather than being only just more than half like Elmi claims in that article.

Technically Somalia is either 98 or 85 Somali depending on who you ask. 98 percent Somali is if you go by Somali speaking like other countries, 85 percent is if you go by traditional Somali laws which state that you have to be descended from the guy named Somali, which no one does outside of “Somalilanders” so they can claim they’re more racially pure than what they call “Somalians”.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Jan 31, 2024

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Matrilineally, patrilineally or either?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Orange Devil posted:

Matrilineally, patrilineally or either?

patrilineally, like all ethnicities in the region, even Ethiopian Jews, who are the only rabbinic Jews to do so.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jan 31, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Thanks PP

in other news, Burkina Faso is developing gold processing technology, which should dramatically increase the return they see on their gold.

https://twitter.com/african_stream/status/1752964981253915061

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

watch biden start even more wars to stop independent gold refining

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
our generation's Fidel, he's already survived at least 5 coup attempts, that we know of

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.reuters.com/world/what-we-know-about-italian-development-plan-africa-2024-01-29/

quote:

ROME, Jan 29 (Reuters) - The Italian government unveiled at a summit on Monday details of a long-awaited project aimed at boosting development in Africa, hoping it will help spark economic growth that will curb irregular immigration to Europe.

Here are the main points of the "Mattei Plan" - named after the late Enrico Mattei, who founded state oil company Eni - as outlined by Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

AREAS OF INTERVENTION
The Italian plan will be developed along five main policy pillars: education and training; agriculture; health; water; and energy - which is the most significant for Rome.

The aim is to make Italy an energy hub to transport natural gas supplies from Africa to the rest of Europe, with Italian energy major Eni set to play a key role in the initiative.

The government said it wanted to strengthen energy efficiency and promote the use of renewable energies.

Meloni listed an array of small pilot projects in the various segments, including a centre for training on renewable energy in Morocco, redevelopment of Tunisian schools, improving primary care for mothers and children in Ivory Coast, supporting farmers in northern Egypt, developing the biofuels sector in Kenya, an agriculture monitoring project in Algeria and work on water networks in the Congo Republic.

The prime minister said education was key to success, because Africa needed to train its own professionals to build schools, hospitals and infrastructure. She also said agriculture was crucial to development, and that Italy would aim to offer technology to increase the amount of cultivatable land.

FUNDING
Meloni said Italy would set aside an initial 5.5 billion euros ($5.95 billion) for the Mattei plan, including public guarantees for investment projects and 3 billion euros from a climate fund set up in 2021 to promote international environmental projects.

She said Rome was also looking to involve international financial institutions, the European Union and other nations in the financing of the plan.
Meloni said her government would also work with state-lender Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP) on a new financial tool to lure private investment into the Mattei plan.

CDP and state investment agencies SACE and SIMEST, will open new offices in Africa, including in Morocco and Egypt. The Foreign Ministry said it had prepared a new package of subsidised financing for Africa totalling 200 million euros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Jr7fDAP-w

diplomatic "hey gently caress you, you didn't consult us about your plans"

crepeface has issued a correction as of 08:12 on Feb 3, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol $3b of climate money to build a gas pipeline across the Mediterranean

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PawParole posted:

Technically Somalia is either 98 or 85 Somali depending on who you ask. 98 percent Somali is if you go by Somali speaking like other countries, 85 percent is if you go by traditional Somali laws which state that you have to be descended from the guy named Somali, which no one does outside of “Somalilanders” so they can claim they’re more racially pure than what they call “Somalians”.

For my particular family and clan in Somaliland we trace it back to Isaaq who supposedly immigrated from Yemen 13 generations ago. Kinda doubt the historicity tho lol.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shageletic posted:

For my particular family and clan in Somaliland we trace it back to Isaaq who supposedly immigrated from Yemen 13 generations ago. Kinda doubt the historicity tho lol.

Isaaq was 23 generations ago I believe? Anyway all of that is nonsense, I agree, but it’s socially believed in and therefore in a way real.

My sub-clan supposedly was “ cursed” with being wealthy but never having political power by our clan patriarch for spilling milk or something, and therefore coincidentally people prefer to hire my patriclan as ceos and trust them with money but never vote for them in elections.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Feb 3, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lmao Somali stories are wild man

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Would DNA services like 23andme be problematic there?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pomeroy posted:

our generation's Fidel, he's already survived at least 5 coup attempts, that we know of

Hope he carries on where Sankara was forced to leave off.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

PawParole posted:

Isaaq was 23 generations ago I believe? Anyway all of that is nonsense, I agree, but it’s socially believed in and therefore in a way real.

My sub-clan supposedly was “ cursed” with being wealthy but never having political power by our clan patriarch for spilling milk or something, and therefore coincidentally people prefer to hire my patriclan as ceos and trust them with money but never vote for them in elections.

Hell of a "curse."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

They were paying money for it for awhile

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Hell of a "curse."

I’m personally a broke student so the curse doesn’t appear to work.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

23andMe really won't provide you much info about your within-Somalia roots. It can only tell you whether you have a Somali background.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Feb 4, 2024

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

23andSomali

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/Amhara_News/status/1754175025882550542

Weka
May 5, 2019

What is so implausible about the story of Isaaq? Just that all Isaaq people are descended from one dude?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Weka posted:

What is so implausible about the story of Isaaq? Just that all Isaaq people are descended from one dude?

I suppose. He's a pretty famous sheik from Yemen and there have been various kingdoms and sultanates originating from Somaliland that claimed direct descendent from him. Probably true enough considering how genealogy works (i.e. 12 percent of people on Earth being descended from Genghas Khan). The questionable aspect is what it is used to justify, sort of like what PawPatrol was talking about his family myth and being CEOs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sounds like isaaq hosed

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1754542295708520871

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A good response to anyone seeking a vassal nation. Much easier to say now the decline of empire is snowballing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Haman_Ten/status/1754826823387558210

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

fck you @Sweden :yeah: